HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Justin Schultz Discussion Part III (MOD WARNING #482)

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2012, 01:22 PM
sparxx87

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
I don't know about those comments in your first paragraph. Del Zotto isn't going to play on the right side, we have a hole there - he just doesn't thrive there. We lack a top 4 RHD.

And I don't know what you mean about Torts. Torts tears our players a new ******* when they play lazy, not when they make mistakes. Carelessness, yes. Honest mistakes? No. I remember one time Del Zotto had a turnover in front of our net that nearly caused a goal against. Torts clapped him on the shoulder and sent him out the next shift. He even said multiple times he'd rather go through a younger player's growing pains than an older guy's carelessness.
I've seen evidence to the contrary. Every situation is different; sometimes the defenseman makes the right play and the forechecker makes a better one.. But I've seen Del Zotto get torn to shreds on several occasions... All I'm saying is that not all players appreciate that, especially young players.

And everyone it putting way to much emphasis on right handed shot. Sure its nice to have, but it isn't as important as some make it out to be. Staal can play the right side, I've seen it.. If memory serves correctly, so can McDonaugh. Fact is, smart and mobile players can usually transition pretty easily. The biggest thing is pivots. Most players favor one side or the other but good skaters usually have no problem with it. Both Staal and McD are excellent skaters.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:23 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Not to this extent. This bordering on Crosby hype and he was arguably the best player in the world at 17.
No it is not. #exaggerating

Old
Happy Hallidays
We are the 18%

One argument not seen very often is the lure Schultz would have playing in a brand new state of the art building in 2-3 years. In 2-3 Year we should hopefully have made the jump into a perennial playoff team as well.. State of the Art building, contender, close to home, core of guys all his age, unbelievable PP opportunity. Whats not to like ?

Old
Machinehead
TG15:WoodlandCritter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
No it is not. #exaggerating
It's June 28th and we're closing in on the 4th thread. It's getting bad.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:24 PM
Taco Fingerhat

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3ss View Post
Am I the only one who thinks its silly that this kid is getting as much attention as he has been?

He's a good ole' canadian boy so people apparently look past the fact that he refused to play for the team that drafted him, and now he'll only sign with clubs that will kiss his butt and guarantee him top 4 minutes. If this was an unproven European kid, you guys would be calling for his head.
No, I think it's warranted. Whoever wins his services is getting a blue chip prospect/player for essentially free. It's kind of like if I were to roll out to Times Square and throw $50,000 in bills into the air. It would create a frenzy.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:27 PM
n3ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Fingerhat View Post
No, I think it's warranted. Whoever wins his services is getting a blue chip prospect/player for essentially free. It's kind of like if I were to roll out to Times Square and throw $50,000 in bills into the air. It would create a frenzy.
You're getting a blue chip prospect with some serious character flaws, though.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:28 PM
sparxx87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Hallidays View Post
One argument not seen very often is the lure Schultz would have playing in a brand new state of the art building in 2-3 years. In 2-3 Year we should hopefully have made the jump into a perennial playoff team as well.. State of the Art building, contender, close to home, core of guys all his age, unbelievable PP opportunity. Whats not to like ?
To play Devil's advocate for a second - Management. The 4th coach in 5 years isn't exactly what players want to see.. They want stability and the management of the Oilers seem pretty mickey mouse if you ask me..

If I pick the Oilers, I bank on Tambellini being gone in the near future leaving the core in tact... And a much more competant GM be brought in to fill the holes and make the team a contender.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:28 PM
vanwest

I hope he signs in Vancouver but I do wonder whether he will regret the way he has handled this whole interview process. IMO, he knows which teams he is interested in. He should have just taken the top 5 teams and met with them. Like I said I'd still welcome him with open arms but I don't think he's handled this very well. His agents are not giving him the best advice here for a young guy who has never played an NHL game.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:29 PM
Skead

Quote:
What flaws?

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...rs-salivating/

Quote:
“And he’s a very soft-spoken, one of those guys who really has his head on straight. A pretty humble guy.”

Old
06-28-2012, 01:29 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Not to this extent. This bordering on Crosby hype and he was arguably the best player in the world at 17.
This is not even remotely in the same universe as Crosby hype. This is all commensurate with the hype of a prized free agent. This free agent is a bit different because he's prized for different reasons, but it's ultimately all the same.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:30 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
I've seen evidence to the contrary. Every situation is different; sometimes the defenseman makes the right play and the forechecker makes a better one.. But I've seen Del Zotto get torn to shreds on several occasions... All I'm saying is that not all players appreciate that, especially young players.

And everyone it putting way to much emphasis on right handed shot. Sure its nice to have, but it isn't as important as some make it out to be. Staal can play the right side, I've seen it.. If memory serves correctly, so can McDonaugh. Fact is, smart and mobile players can usually transition pretty easily. The biggest thing is pivots. Most players favor one side or the other but good skaters usually have no problem with it. Both Staal and McD are excellent skaters.
Not on the Rangers, they haven't. Maybe for a shift or two in a matter of years.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:30 PM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

vCash: 50
Quote:
No one is perfect. Who's going to complain?

Old
06-28-2012, 01:31 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Hallidays View Post
So Vancouver, Toronto, Ottawa and NY already have amazing buildings and you think a selling point is if he waits 2 or 3 years Edmonton will too?

Old
06-28-2012, 01:32 PM
sparxx87

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
I hope he signs in Vancouver but I do wonder whether he will regret the way he has handled this whole interview process. IMO, he knows which teams he is interested in. He should have just taken the top 5 teams and met with them. Like I said I'd still welcome him with open arms but I don't think he's handled this very well. His agents are not giving him the best advice here for a young guy who has never played an NHL game.
Money makes people do very bad things. Him becoming UFA enables him to make more money then he would signing with Anaheim. More money for player = more money for agent..

If you're talking about after the fact, I agree as well.. His silence is what has made this such a frenzy. He should have came out and said something at least... Peoples speculation has, IMO, been a poor reflection on him... Nobody knows whats true from whats false and him setting the record straight would sit a lot better with most, IMO.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:33 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
He's a free agent. No different then any of the coveted free agents we have every year except that he's younger.

He is being overhyped. Even if he becomes a top pairing guy, he's still being overhyped. Every year, top pairing guys hit the market.

The only difference with Schultz is that we dont know if he will be a top pairing guy or not. I guess the mystery is exciting to people...

Old
N Bahn Ahden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skead View Post
People seem to be mistaking his due diligence with some sort of ego problem.

Old
wickedwitch

Quote:
But those $50,000 are guaranteed to be worth $50,000. There's the possibility that Schultz could suck or merely be mediocre.

Old
Machinehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
This is not even remotely in the same universe as Crosby hype. This is all commensurate with the hype of a prized free agent. This free agent is a bit different because he's prized for different reasons, but it's ultimately all the same.
Most free agents A)Have a proven track record at the pro level and B)Didn't arrogantly decide that an NHL franchise wasn't good enough for them before they even played a game.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:34 PM
illogic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwitch View Post
But those $50,000 are guaranteed to be worth $50,000. There's the possibility that Schultz could suck or merely be mediocre.
Schultz could be anything... he could even be a boat!

Old
06-28-2012, 01:35 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
Money makes people do very bad things. Him becoming UFA enables him to make more money then he would signing with Anaheim. More money for player = more money for agent..

If you're talking about after the fact, I agree as well.. His silence is what has made this such a frenzy. He should have came out and said something at least... Peoples speculation has, IMO, been a poor reflection on him... Nobody knows whats true from whats false and him setting the record straight would sit a lot better with most, IMO.
Actually, I'm not even commenting on the whole Annaheim situation. There's usually two sides to every story and so far we've only heard the Ducks. I understand why Ducks fans are upset and I would be too but who knows where the truth lies.
I think the whole interview process was a mistake though. Just pick your top 5 teams which I'm sure he already knows and then meet with them. He's a free agent and within his rights to do what he is doing. I just don't think he's handled this part well.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:35 PM
Taco Fingerhat

Quote:
I don't like the route Schultz took either, but I'm not going to make any assumptions regarding his character. We as fans don't know anything about the situation. Even if he does turn out to be a headcase, he still holds a lot of value as a tradable asset.

So, if I were the Islanders GM and I thought I had ZERO chance of landing him, I'd still make an attempt. It's what any smart and motivated GM would do.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:38 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Not dismissing the Rangers, just from a young d-man's perspective (no matter what he has been promised) i'm sure he has been made aware that a top NCAA player is 2 years removed from getting the big deal and being shuffled off the Rangers and another hold-out from last year has yet to be fully embraced by the club.

+ The Rangers have 4-5 other d-prospects who will push in the next couple of years.

Hell i'd love to play in New York but it also has a lot of competition amongst young d-men that Schultz might want to avoid.
I do agree with that point, and the Rangers IMO would be fine without him, though I'd love to have him.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:38 PM
Jarko2004

Quote:
Apparently Schultz' family are Canucks season ticket holders.
And they live in Kelowna??

Old
06-28-2012, 01:39 PM
Machinehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by illogic View Post
Schultz could be anything... he could even be a boat!
True but if you launched a boat into the air in Times Square that would certainly create more problems than solutions...kind of like Schultz.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:39 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarko2004 View Post
And they live in Kelowna??
Tweet from @JasonGregor
@JasonGregor: Justin Schultz's parents are #Canucks season ticket holders...That could sway his decision.

Closed Thread