HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Justin Schultz Discussion Part III (MOD WARNING #482)

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2012, 01:40 PM
sparxx87

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Actually, I'm not even commenting on the whole Annaheim situation. There's usually two sides to every story and so far we've only heard the Ducks. I think the whole interview process was a mistake though. Just pick your top 5 teams which I'm sure he already knows and then meet with them. He's a free agent and within his rights to do what he is doing. I just don't think he's handled this part well.
Nah, I agree..

He should have came out and said it wasn't anything against the Ducks, but hes exercising his rights within the CBA... Insert cliche after cliche and everyone shuts up because we've heard it from his mouth...

His silence opens the speculation as to why he's doing this and what his motives are.

Personally, I would have done the same thing... Why wouldn't you want your choice of not only that team, but the 29 other ones as well? He didn't break any rules, and I highly doubt this even crossed his mind when he returned to the BCHL for one more year... Thus, making him eligible for this after his NCAA stint..

I don't think this was ever planned by him, but I could be wrong.

Old
MoreGore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Vancouver - close to home, contending team, maybe playing with Edler, Though they don't neccessarily play their young guys..

Edmonton - In canada, Great core of forwards, suspect D who could use him so he would be guaranteed minutes, goalie situation, and they seem to have a revolving door with coaches. not contenders are the moment.

Toronto - In Canada, has Gardiner who alot consider his best friend, he would be guaranteed ice time but they aren't necessarily contenders at the moment.

New York - Torts likes to play young players or at least give them a shot (see stepan, mcd, kreider especially), they are a contending team, they are a young team who he can grow with, He would be paired with Mcdonagh or Staal, Rangers have an opening on the second line @ RHD with Girardi being our only one, and Stepan and Mcdonagh are former Badgers. Negative is NY is not in Canada.

If I was a betting man, I'd put my money on Vancouver or New York JMO

This one has been quoted many times, and yet oddly nobody noticed that one team was missing.

What does Ottawa have to offer? In terms of a hockey/on ice, quite possibly the best option available. No it does not have some of the off ice stuff you find with vancouver, NY or Toronto, and no it does not offer the sexy Edmonton lineup, but it offers the best complete on ice package.

decent ice time - check
youthful lineup - check (to fit in and gel)
competitive - check
insulated development - check (enough D to keep him from looking overwhelmed)
veteran presence - check (to learn)
solid goaltending - (to cover mistakes)

Vancouver strikes out on youth
Edmonton of competitveness, insulated development, weak goaltending
Toronto strikes out on veteran presence, weak goaltending
New York..... Actually they do offer those things pretty much as well, though perhaps they are a little to good of a roster to provide decent ice time.

I think... Van-NYR-Ott-Tor-Edm

I hope... Ott-Van-Tor-NYR-Edm

Old
Laces Out

Funniest part about this whole fiasco will be when some fans of the teams who lose out on him (doesn't matter which ones, a portion all fan bases will react the same) will in an instant begin saying :

-He's overrated anyways
-Don't want someone with his attitude on the team
-Bust

Best part is, said fans will more than likely be those who are the most vocal and desperate for him to sign with their team right now.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:44 PM
Skead

Gene Principe ‏@GenePrincipe
Quote:
Lowe,Tambellini,Krueger,Hall met with Justin Schultz and agent in Mississauga today. After meeting Lowe not saying whether in or out of hunt

Old
06-28-2012, 01:44 PM
Machinehead
#NoTrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laces Out View Post
Funniest part about this whole fiasco will be when some fans of the teams who lose out on him (doesn't matter which ones, a portion all fan bases will react the same) will in an instant begin saying :

-He's overrated anyways
-Don't want someone with his attitude on the team
-Bust

Best part is, said fans will more than likely be those who are the most vocal and desperate for him to sign with their team right now.
I'm saying that now

Old
06-28-2012, 01:45 PM
guyzeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I'm saying that now
People were saying the same thing about Turris; the Sens are pretty with him right now.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:48 PM
Laces Out

Quote:
I'm saying that now
I understand this point of view without a doubt. I was more referring to the fanboys who will in an instant change their attitude from drooling over the kid to outright saying their team dodged a bullet.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:48 PM
skg

Quote:
I'm saying that now
By all accounts, he's a humble, down to earth kid. I blame all this on his agents, who are using the Brad Richards model on how to pimp FAs.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:49 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Tweet from @JasonGregor
@JasonGregor: Justin Schultz's parents are #Canucks season ticket holders...That could sway his decision.
How reliable is Jason Gregor. Kewlona to Vancouver seems like an long way to be driving back and forth up to 3 times a week and 41 times a year.

Old
Machinehead
#NoTrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyzeur View Post
People were saying the same thing about Turris; the Sens are pretty with him right now.
Even Turris didn't refuse to play for the Coyotes. It's one thing to be unhappy. To outright refuse to play is a different animal.

Old
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreGore View Post
This one has been quoted many times, and yet oddly nobody noticed that one team was missing.

What does Ottawa have to offer? In terms of a hockey/on ice, quite possibly the best option available. No it does not have some of the off ice stuff you find with vancouver, NY or Toronto, and no it does not offer the sexy Edmonton lineup, but it offers the best complete on ice package.

decent ice time - check
youthful lineup - check (to fit in and gel)
competitive - check
insulated development - check (enough D to keep him from looking overwhelmed)
veteran presence - check (to learn)
solid goaltending - (to cover mistakes)

Vancouver strikes out on youth
Edmonton of competitveness, insulated development, weak goaltending
Toronto strikes out on veteran presence, weak goaltending
New York..... Actually they do offer those things pretty much as well, though perhaps they are a little to good of a roster to provide decent ice time.

I think... Van-NYR-Ott-Tor-Edm

I hope... Ott-Van-Tor-NYR-Edm
Yeah knew I was missing someone... Ottawa is also a contender.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:50 PM
Provost

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
Money makes people do very bad things. Him becoming UFA enables him to make more money then he would signing with Anaheim. More money for player = more money for agent..

If you're talking about after the fact, I agree as well.. His silence is what has made this such a frenzy. He should have came out and said something at least... Peoples speculation has, IMO, been a poor reflection on him... Nobody knows whats true from whats false and him setting the record straight would sit a lot better with most, IMO.
I don't know that the first part is true. I assume that Anaheim would have been willing to give the max rookie contract as well.

I am sure at some point he is going to talk to the media... gotta figure out how it resolves itself first I figure.

Too bad he won't be signed in time to come do the Grouse Grind with all the other Canucks prospects

Old
06-28-2012, 01:51 PM
Skead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
How reliable is Jason Gregor. Kewlona to Vancouver seems like an long way to be driving back and forth up to 3 times a week and 41 times a year.
I thought his parents lived in Kelowna...
If this is true, and Schultz comes here, that means BIG savings for the parents... scum-bag parents, convince son to play for hometown NHL team to save money.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:53 PM
silvercanuck

Quote:
Tweet from @JasonGregor
@JasonGregor: Justin Schultz's parents are #Canucks season ticket holders...That could sway his decision.
How would Gregor know this before anyone in BC tweeted it? Just sounds odd that they would be a ticket holder. They obviously must share with a few friends if so.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:53 PM
sparxx87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skead View Post
Its crazy because I thought I saw Taylor Hall at Sqaure one this morning.. I figured it wasn't, but given its proximity to NS, I'll have to say it was!

Old
06-28-2012, 01:55 PM
AmazingNuck

Anybody consider that Schultz is only putting on this parade to prevent his situation from looking like he was tampered with?

Old
06-28-2012, 01:55 PM
sparxx87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Provost View Post
I don't know that the first part is true. I assume that Anaheim would have been willing to give the max rookie contract as well.

I am sure at some point he is going to talk to the media... gotta figure out how it resolves itself first I figure.

Too bad he won't be signed in time to come do the Grouse Grind with all the other Canucks prospects
I could be wrong, but I think college UFA's are entitled to more bonuses then a standard ELC..

Can anyone confirm?

Old
06-28-2012, 01:56 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
I thought his parents lived in Kelowna...
If this is true, and Schultz comes here, that means BIG savings for the parents... scum-bag parents, convince son to play for hometown NHL team to save money.
I think they also have a house in Vancouver....

Old
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

This whole fiasco and the media attention its getting is stupid.

Old
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
I've seen evidence to the contrary. Every situation is different; sometimes the defenseman makes the right play and the forechecker makes a better one.. But I've seen Del Zotto get torn to shreds on several occasions... All I'm saying is that not all players appreciate that, especially young players.

And everyone it putting way to much emphasis on right handed shot. Sure its nice to have, but it isn't as important as some make it out to be. Staal can play the right side, I've seen it.. If memory serves correctly, so can McDonaugh. Fact is, smart and mobile players can usually transition pretty easily. The biggest thing is pivots. Most players favor one side or the other but good skaters usually have no problem with it. Both Staal and McD are excellent skaters.
Neither of them have played the right side for any significant amount of time with the Rangers. A shift or two at best

It is a bit of a problem for the Rangers because most of their defensemen are much more comfortable on the left side. Del Zotto struggled when he was moved to the right.

Tortorella has done a great job helping his young players succeed. He may be intense but he is really, really big into helping young players develop and turning them into successful players. It is literally one of his biggest mantras since joining the Rangers.

Also, realistically, he'll have competition for icetime on any of these teams. Ok well maybe not the Oilers, they seem content to throw players out on the ice no matter how much they may need more grooming. But for most teams, they're not just going to hand him 20 minutes per night and then sit on their hands if he struggles. He'll have to earn his icetime like everyone else. The thing is having the opportunity to play an important role if he grasps it

Old
06-28-2012, 01:58 PM
crazycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerFan1 View Post
This whole fiasco and the media attention its getting is stupid.
Schultz has handled this situation quite well IMO. The media's constant prying has made it out to be circus it is.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:59 PM
Vdhawan89
#FireLowe

Quote:
I think that would mean they are still in.

Old
06-28-2012, 02:01 PM
Thrillingbroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazingNuck View Post
Anybody consider that Schultz is only putting on this parade to prevent his situation from looking like he was tampered with?
It is the same agency that put on the Brad Richards parade last year, where some people believed he was always set on the Rangers.

Old
06-28-2012, 02:01 PM
nbducksfan19

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
Schultz has handled this situation quite well IMO. The media's constant prying has made it out to be circus it is.
well then he handled it quite poorly, because if he and his agents did not anticipate of a circus coming from this than they are incredibly stupid.

Old
06-28-2012, 02:02 PM
crazycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdhawan89 View Post
I think that would mean they are still in.
Unless a team completely screws the pooch on their pitch I don't think Schultz will let them know until after he hears all the pitches and talks things over.

Closed Thread