HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Justin Schultz Discussion Part III (MOD WARNING #482)

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2012, 01:32 PM
AlmightyPO

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
I think this is an under emphasized point. The guy is simply talking to people with his agent...exactly what he's supposed to be doing, probably just like he did when he decided which college to go to. The difference here is that the media is turning it into a bit of a circus and fans are getting on the kid's case for it.
The fact he could meet with teams before the deadline I think is what has created the circus. There is nothing else for the media to focus on, and with 4 Canadian teams involved it gets even crazier.

Old
guyzeur

See my reasons why some teams should be out:

NYR: their coach
TOR: the team and the city, too much pressure

Van, Edm & Ott should be part of the final 3.

Why teams should be the final pick:

If Schultz wants to
Develop: Sens
Win SC: Vancouver, NYR
Go for potential: Edm, Sens, NYR
Best coach & system for the players: Sens, Van
Best city to play in: NYR, Van

Old
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
I think Anaheim fans would think that Schultz has definitely conducted himself like a true Canuck. He sounds like a perfect fit
I got no problem with that. Schultz is a born and bred Canuck

All the more reason for Oilers fans to not want him on their team. They should collectively tweet him telling him how no Canuck fan would ever be welcome in the Oilers organization.

We'll gladly take him

And I guess the same should also apply to Jason Garrison. As a Canuck fan we'll treat them like our own (which they are). Better for them to go to a team that actually wants them and where they'd be loved by the fans.

Though I'm sure they both know this. Every Canuck fan knows how much we're hated by the Oiler faithful. Maybe Schultz also knows this and is just simply trolling OilerNation - like any good Canuck fan would

Old
06-28-2012, 01:33 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
I think this is an under emphasized point. The guy is simply talking to people with his agent...exactly what he's supposed to be doing, probably just like he did when he decided which college to go to. The difference here is that the media is turning it into a bit of a circus and fans are getting on the kid's case for it.
Yea the kid is getting blamed for what the media and to some extent fans are doing here.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:33 PM
BrawlFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckless View Post
it's so funny how the vancouver canucks have become that good lookling girl all the ugly guys hate
They are more like that girl who's a 7 at best but walks around like a 10 which annoys everyone out there because sure she's good for a friday night from October - May but when its April and you gotta find a date to the big dance....she's just not the one your picking...

Saying that tho the Canucks will prob get him and keep rolling as he'll be well protected however I doubt he gets the serious playing time ppl keep saying he's looking for. If thats the case itd be Edmonton.

Heres hoping Ottawa gets him! I'd put our chances in the 20% range with Vancouver having over 50%

Old
06-28-2012, 01:34 PM
tantalum

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
What coud he have done better? Most of the information has come from the clubs not from Schultz's camp.
I don't get it either. Schultz has been involved in this process for about 24 hours. The MEDIA are the one who have been involved for a few weeks.

Schultz made a decision available to him to maximize his earnings and his influence on where he goes. More power to him. Just as I have no issue with Gillis going to cut down arbitration with Raymond or Schneider accepting an offer sheet. It's allowed as a tool and it's foolish, IMO, to not be prepared to use that tool.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:34 PM
AlmightyPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyzeur View Post

If Schultz wants to
I just can't see him choosing Ottawa over Toronto.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:35 PM
skg

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
Vancouver is the no brainer at this point.

I've trolled some Cancucks fans in this thread but in reality Vancouver is a great city to play in and it makes sense.

I'm still holding out hope but I'd be floored if Edmonton signs him.
Trying a bit of reverse psychology are we??

Old
06-28-2012, 01:36 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
This has been such a civil discussion. Why be obnoxious. By all reporting the Rangers are on the list of 5, so by definition they are one of the favorites. Please grow up.
Haha quoted wrong person, but anyways.....

But as a rookie why would you want to be top dog? That is just to much pressure for not so much reward.....even with all the bonuses 3.775 mil would be the lowest paid #1 d in the league.

As a rookie you want make a difference your 1st year, but there is a lot of learning to do. I hope his agents have thought of this gave him good advice.

Old
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:

If Schultz wants to
2 of these 4 coaches have won a Stanley Cup. Yet you picked the 2 that didn't.

Also if we are talking coaches, 1 is a former Norris Trophy winner with a history of working with the kid.

Old
Homesick

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckless View Post
it's so funny how the vancouver canucks have become that good lookling girl all the ugly guys hate
yea, but now she's 42 years old and still hasn't put out

I'm not saying it isn't true but I have a hard time believing that his parents are Canuck ticket holders. The Coquihalla (sp?) is a 4 hour drive in the summer and isn't exactly the nicest highway in the winter.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:37 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:

If Schultz wants to
The players in the Rangers locker room LOVE playing for Torts. He might ben nuts, but he defends his guys and pushes them to give 101%.

IMHO, if Schultz doesn't want to come to NY because of Torts, I don't want him then. I would say a lot about his character as a player.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:38 PM
SometimesY

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazingNuck View Post
Anybody consider that Schultz is only putting on this parade to prevent his situation from looking like he was tampered with?
Maybe, but at least other teams get a chance to woo him.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:39 PM
Levitate

Quote:

Why? As I said before, Tortorella has been fantastic with the Rangers young players, especially their defense. Under Tortorella, Girardi has become a rock of a first pairing defenseman, McDonagh was given big minutes and responsibility right away and is having huge success, Del Zotto turned around a disappointing sophmore year and had a great bounce back season last year getting top 4 minutes, and that's not getting into the forwards who were given opportunities like Kreider.

One of Tortorella's biggest goals is to work with the young players on the Rangers and make them better and more successful players and grow the team together.

Derek Stepan, another young player given lots of responsibilities and minutes (and also out of Wisconsin!) had this to say about Tortorella (regarding the Jack Adams)

Quote:
“I’ve only had one coach in the NHL and I’ve been pretty blessed,” Stepan said. “I have a pretty damn good coach. He’s helped my career along. He’s taught me so many things. It’s a non-stop thing. If there was a coach who got the trophy, it should be him because of the way he’s molded our team.”

Yeah I know, being a homer and tooting the Rangers horn, but they don't really have anything going against them in this situation except they're not Vancouver. In all other ways, they're a very good fit for someone like Schultz. That doesn't mean he will want to sign in NY at all, just that from a hockey perspective they offer many good things for a young player. Get to play with Marc Staal as your partner and Henrik Lundqvist backing you up? I think a whole lot of young defenseman would love to be in that situation

edit: though again, he could have other reasons for not wanting to sign in NY. If his heart is set on Canada, or on Vancouver specifically, or he doesn't like NYC, or whatever. And that's fine, that's just how these things go down. It's his choice and he can have whatever reasons he wants for making his decision.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:39 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SometimesY View Post
Maybe, but at least other teams get a chance to woo him.
It could also be that he simply wants to see what the best "fit" is for him ... that could be a number of things ... who knows.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:40 PM
Lundface*

Quote:
yea, but now she's 42 years old and still hasn't put out

I'm not saying it isn't true but I have a hard time believing that his parents are Canuck ticket holders. The Coquihalla (sp?) is a 4 hour drive in the summer and isn't exactly the nicest highway in the winter.
I've always loved the name of that highway. Looks kinda stupid in writing but sure sounds cool

Old
06-28-2012, 01:40 PM
Homesick

vCash: 50
A 1000 posts in less than 24 hours for a UFA that has never played a game

Old
06-28-2012, 01:41 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Why? As I said before, Tortorella has been fantastic with the Rangers young players, especially their defense. Under Tortorella, Girardi has become a rock of a first pairing defenseman, McDonagh was given big minutes and responsibility right away and is having huge success, Del Zotto turned around a disappointing sophmore year and had a great bounce back season last year getting top 4 minutes, and that's not getting into the forwards who were given opportunities like Kreider.

One of Tortorella's biggest goals is to work with the young players on the Rangers and make them better and more successful players and grow the team together.

Derek Stepan, another young player given lots of responsibilities and minutes (and also out of Wisconsin!) had this to say about Tortorella (regarding the Jack Adams)

Yeah I know, being a homer and tooting the Rangers horn, but they don't really have anything going against them in this situation except they're not Vancouver. In all other ways, they're a very good fit for someone like Schultz. That doesn't mean he will want to sign in NY at all, just that from a hockey perspective they offer many good things for a young player. Get to play with Marc Staal as your partner and Henrik Lundqvist backing you up? I think a whole lot of young defenseman would love to be in that situation
This is 100% true!

Old
06-28-2012, 01:42 PM
Boxscore
#oldNHL

Justin Schultz better be the 2nd coming of Ray Bourque considering this whole dog and pony show.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:42 PM
Slapshot_11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
2 of these 4 coaches have won a Stanley Cup. Yet you picked the 2 that didn't.

Also if we are talking coaches, 1 is a former Norris Trophy winner with a history of working with the kid.
Its funny how defensive you get

Old
06-28-2012, 01:43 PM
AlmightyPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
This is 100% true!
I agree, but as a third party I would consider it much harder to crack top 4 mins with the Rangers beastly D than with the Nucks.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:45 PM
DG

Quote:
Seriously.

I'll be happy if the Sens get him and the only reason I am following this is because they have been mentioned from the start, but it's amazing what a life this has taken on.

Quote:

If Schultz wants to
This is kind of arbitrary and Edmonton and Toronto are very conspicuous by their absence in some of these categories... (develop - Edmonton and best city - Toronto both stood out immediately)

Old
06-28-2012, 01:45 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Quote:

If Schultz wants to
The Rangers are terrible at developing guys. We only have McDonagh, Del Zotto, Staal, Girardi, Stepan, Anisimov, Callahan, Dubinsky, Lundqvist, Hagelin, and Kreider on this team that they draft/developed in the AHL/NHL levels. The last two are young NCAA prospects that just started with the team and they excelled on the team. We'll see how they develop with Ranger tutelage.

This has been and was foreign to Ranger fans for a while, but since Torts as come in and made it a priority to have young players playing big roles on the team.

To say Schultz will have the best chance at developing in Ottawa wouldn't be 100% accurate. While I believe it would be a good choice, it's not his only choice in terms of developing well. Now that the Sens are confirmed in on Schultz, I must say they are 3rd on the list of teams for him. Rangers and Canucks, without any outside factors of location are a dead heat. The Sens are right after that. Then Edmonton and Toronto.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:46 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmightyPO View Post
I agree, but as a third party I would consider it much harder to crack top 4 mins with the Rangers beastly D than with the Nucks.
Normally yes, but with him being a RHD which NY needs BAD .... that is not a problem. RHD is what they lack.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:47 PM
Transom Bob

Quote:
I don't see the humour in it. He's a prospect. This is a prospects site. He is highly coveted by pretty much every team in the NHL. He's created a shortlist. It's a madhouse in here and justifiably so.

Closed Thread