HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

We drank the Marleau, yet the whine remains (Off-Season Speculation Thread Part VI)

Closed Thread

Old
07-06-2012, 12:15 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish

vCash: 567
This is silly.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:15 AM
Chairman Mallard
Fun Must Be Always

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Improvise View Post
Take this for whatever it's worth, but I was just in downtown Los Gatos and watched Doug Wilson, Todd McLellan, Shea Weber, and an asian guy close to Weber's age get out of a car and head into a steak house.

I find it hard to believe that they aren't in talks and that they are just friends and that Weber happened to be in town. I don't care who we give up, Weber would be amazing.

I know Weber is a restricted FA making $7.5m, but apparently he is pretty unhappy about Suter leaving: http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...ly-eyes-to-you

Sharks getting Weber is still real to me Dammit!

Old
07-06-2012, 12:18 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish

vCash: 567
Seriously, if the Sharks are pursuing Weber, Couture has to go the other way. There simply isn't another way to do it. The Preds have plenty of two-way forwards like Pavs. They'd want a kid with 70 point, 30 goal potential (that doesn't play next to Joe Thornton). With Legwand and Fisher, they'd be able to shelter Couture like crazy and he'd put up some insane numbers.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:20 AM
Improvise
Old School

Send a message via AIM to Improvise
The Sharks could definitely use another skilled puck handler but I think they need to add toughness and grit moreso than anything else.

With that toughness and grit comes chippyness and an attitude that is contagious. Something that this team seriously lacks.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:20 AM
sancho839

Handzus for Weber straight up.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:23 AM
Arkansas Shark
Land Down Under

DW has made Couture untouchable, but what if it's for Shea Weber?

I think he'd cave.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:24 AM
wishman

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
This is silly.
Agreed! But not much else going on in Shark land and more fun to discuss this than who is going to be the next assistant coach.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:24 AM
Improvise
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjsharklover View Post
this is obviously a hoax ,weber isnt coming here and typically for that matter agents alone meet with the GM. The player does not typically get involved till close to signing from what I have heard...someone online just trying to have fun..Weber is mad Suter left but that happened yesterday,Im sure weber didnt hear the news and decide to fly to San Jose...What else can you make up?
No hoax here. Like I said, I don't even think the Sharks will get him and the agent wasn't there.

If I was trying to troll I would not have said an asian guy was with him, I would have said his agent Kevin Epp was with him (pretty easy to find this stuff on google).

Old
07-06-2012, 12:25 AM
The McMafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Seriously, if the Sharks are pursuing Weber, Couture has to go the other way. There simply isn't another way to do it. The Preds have plenty of two-way forwards like Pavs. They'd want a kid with 70 point, 30 goal potential (that doesn't play next to Joe Thornton). With Legwand and Fisher, they'd be able to shelter Couture like crazy and he'd put up some insane numbers.
Due to the RFA situation, a player-for-player trade wouldn't be necessary.

A real shady situation would be Weber signing an under-market or short term offer sheet and telling Poile he's not going to stay past UFA status. Poile would be forced to let him go for the picks or have a disgruntled player stuck on his team.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:25 AM
Improvise
Old School

Obviously it depends on who we would have to send the other way, but who would you guys rather have between Nash and Weber?

I feel like Nash would feel a bigger hole than Weber, but Weber does add so much more value to a team in a ton of different ways.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:26 AM
sjsharklover

ok must be real cause it was an Asian guy........

Old
07-06-2012, 12:27 AM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Obviously it depends on who we would have to send the other way, but who would you guys rather have between Nash and Weber?

I feel like Nash would feel a bigger hole than Weber, but Weber does add so much more value to a team in a ton of different ways.
Weber and it's not even close. Weber, Burns, Vlasic, Stuart, Braun, Murray/Demers? **** yeah. Somehow find a way to keep Boyle in such a mix for a win now year this year? Even bigger **** yeah.

Trade for Nash without giving up Pavs and Couture? Still meh. (Probably ticked if Pavs/Couture are gone for Nash).

Old
07-06-2012, 12:28 AM
Channing Tatum
Step Up: On Ice

asian agent? i thought lloyd only repped actors?

Old
07-06-2012, 12:30 AM
Improvise
Old School

Quote:
ok must be real cause it was an Asian guy........
lol whatever man believe what you want to. no skin off my back trust me. I don't even have 800 posts in 5 years of being a member of this forum. Look at my history if you want to, I come here to talk/read Sharks hockey and don't care to troll one bit.

doing some research on how the Sharks signed Hjalmarsson to an offer sheet, Hawks had 7 days to match it or they'd lose him for a 1st and 3rd round pick.

Who determines the values for these players in situations like this?

Old
07-06-2012, 12:34 AM
sjsharklover

Quote:
lol whatever man believe what you want to. no skin off my back trust me.

doing some research on how the Sharks signed Hjalmarsson to an offer sheet, Hawks had 7 days to match it or they'd lose him for a 1st and 3rd round pick.

Honestly I hope you are telling the truth..that would mean the team is actually trying to improve not sitting around waiting to land Nash and then losing out on him and ending up with nothing

Old
07-06-2012, 12:34 AM
Mafoofoo
Hockey

Quote:
I see Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau walking around downtown LG quite a bit. Both live here.

I used to party with Torrey Mitchell and Setoguchi every once in a while here as well.

Clowe is a regular. Heatley was too.

Lot of Sharks live in or very close to Los Gatos. I know Doug Wilson does, I went to school with his daughter Chelsea and she used to throw parties every now and then back in high school.

Not bragging, just saying because as you said this isn't Canada, Sharks are frequent around here as are 49ers. I've seen Alex Smith a bunch of times. Nobody really cares much around here, we don't bother athletes much.
Partying with a DW kid (especially Charlie)/Mitchell/Seto is nothing special. You just have to be young, open to questionable things, and nearby Los Gatos. lol

But due I hope your right and DW somehow nabs Weber. You'd be the best ever.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:35 AM
Improvise
Old School

Quote:
Honestly I hope you are telling the truth..that would mean the team is actually trying to improve not sitting around waiting to land Nash and then losing out on him and ending up with nothing
I am telling the truth but I'd still be shocked if the Sharks sign him. I was shocked just seeing them and couldn't help but start to wonder, that's why I posted it here. I wasn't even sure what Weber's contract situation was until the guys here told me he's a RFA.

Either way, just wanted to share it with you guys because I got excited about the possibility. Like you and everyone else, highly unlikely, but just kind of exciting to think about and hope for.

Off to bed. Later guys.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:37 AM
The McMafia

Quote:
lol whatever man believe what you want to. no skin off my back trust me. I don't even have 800 posts in 5 years of being a member of this forum. Look at my history if you want to, I come here to talk/read Sharks hockey and don't care to troll one bit.

The average salary of the signed contract: Compensation.

If Weber signed for 7 mill, it would be 2 firsts, a second, and a third. For a player like Weber that's essentially nothing.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:37 AM
Gilligans Island
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

I'd say definitely Weber. I'm a big believer in a strong defense and goaltending can mask a lot. Niemi is average but Weber, Boyle, Burns, Vlasic, Braun, Demers, Stuart (if none are traded) is stellar to sick.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:38 AM
Improvise
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
Partying with a DW kid (especially Charlie)/Mitchell/Seto is nothing special. You just have to be young, open to questionable things, and nearby Los Gatos. lol

But due I hope your right and DW somehow nabs Weber. You'd be the best ever.
lol yup. I saw Seto a couple weeks ago at Carry Nation's, talked to him for a minute about how he's doing and he said "It's ok, teams definitely not as good, though."

Wonder what he has to say now after getting Parise and Suter.

Old
NWShark*

If the sharks somehow get Weber they'll win the cup just based on the strength of his playoff beard... ;P

Old
Gilligans Island
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The McMafia View Post
Due to the RFA situation, a player-for-player trade wouldn't be necessary.

A real shady situation would be Weber signing an under-market or short term offer sheet and telling Poile he's not going to stay past UFA status. Poile would be forced to let him go for the picks or have a disgruntled player stuck on his team.
Kind of like what Burke did to Chiareli/Boston? Turned out fine for the Bruins...

Old
07-06-2012, 12:39 AM
WTFetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
Somehow find a way to keep Boyle in such a mix for a win now year this year? Even bigger **** yeah.
Boyle would definitely have to go. I wouldn't trust Weber with the coaches otherwise. TMac would use Boyle against top competition, #1 PP, and #1 PK, and Weber would be on the 2nd pairing with Stuart.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:39 AM
Improvise
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
I'd say definitely Weber. I'm a big believer in a strong defense and goaltending can mask a lot. Niemi is average but Weber, Boyle, Burns, Vlasic, Braun, Demers, Stuart (if none are traded) is stellar to sick.
Weber is just a beast, too. He is the type to hold others accountable and not back down from anyone. He is big and can play angry.

He's like Douglas Murray with skill. lol.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:41 AM
The McMafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
Kind of like what Burke did to Chiareli/Boston? Turned out fine for the Bruins...
I doubt the Preds would get a second overall pick out of it. The Sharks are not the Maple Leafs, after all...

Closed Thread