HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We drank the Marleau, yet the whine remains (Off-Season Speculation Thread Part VI)

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2012, 11:13 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
It's because he didn't have Pronger playing with him. Call me crazy, I don't think Pronger would be a Shark to save his butt over and over. He led the Flyers in ice time for defensemen, but was 5th on the team in PK time.

Kid can't play defense and isn't as good offensively as Boyle or Burns. He could be 3rd pairing and 2nd PP here and not play any PK.
Yeah, like I said...disingenuous. He didn't need Pronger to outscore Burns this year so if we're going to take the simplistic approach like you did, he's better offensively than Burns. A kid that can't play defense wouldn't be on the plus side of the goal differential. Now, I'm not trying to say he's good but can't play defense is just plain inaccurate hyperbole.

He's not the ideal fit for this team based on what they have on the right side right now but he does offer a certain skill set that this team needs at a certain position. And your positioning of him on this team is not close to reality except maybe the PK but that's not what he's being brought in for.

Old
06-28-2012, 11:20 PM
WTFetus
Marlov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
He's not the ideal fit for this team based on what they have on the right side right now.
I'm not sure what you're getting at. From what I remember, Carle played LD in Philly.

EDIT: From the various highlights I just watched on youtube, he definitely did play LD.

Old
06-28-2012, 11:21 PM
spintheblackcircle
Global Moderator
s'all good, man.

Quote:
Yeah, like I said...disingenuous. He didn't need Pronger to outscore Burns this year so if we're going to take the simplistic approach like you did, he's better offensively than Burns. A kid that can't play defense wouldn't be on the plus side of the goal differential. Now, I'm not trying to say he's good but can't play defense is just plain inaccurate hyperbole.

He's not the ideal fit for this team based on what they have on the right side right now but he does offer a certain skill set that this team needs at a certain position. And your positioning of him on this team is not close to reality except maybe the PK but that's not what he's being brought in for.
Who's disingenuous now? Outscored him by 1 point and Burns outscored the year before. Burns/Vlasic/Boyle are all clearly better. BEST case he's the #4. Like I said, he COULD be a 3rd pairing guy on the Sharks. Sharks don't need help on the blueline. They need forwards.

06-28-2012, 11:30 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
I'm not sure what you're getting at. From what I remember, Carle played LD in Philly.

EDIT: From the various highlights I just watched on youtube, he definitely did play LD.
Just that the guys on the right side don't really compliment his play style too well.

Quote:
Who's disingenuous now? Outscored him by 1 point and Burns outscored the year before. Burns/Vlasic/Boyle are all clearly better. BEST case he's the #4. Like I said, he COULD be a 3rd pairing guy on the Sharks. Sharks don't need help on the blueline. They need forwards.
You are because again, you are taking the simplistic approach. You conveniently ignored that his ppg ratio has been better than Burns for their entire careers. Now, the whole 'could be a 3rd pairing guy' like he'd be lucky to even be there.

And if you believe that this blue line doesn't need help, you're sorely mistaken. They still have a huge issue on the left side because none of them can move the puck. Carle would be better than any of Demers, Stuart, or Braun switching to the left side. He's better at moving the puck than Vlasic. Teams know to key on the right side on the breakout because the left side is a black hole for puck movement.

Yeah, they need forwards but they need someone that can move the puck on the left side as well. For the skills he brings, he's at worst the #4 on this team and he could arguably play the top pairing with Burns to provide better balance on the back-end.

Old
06-28-2012, 11:34 PM
WTFetus
Marlov

Quote:
Just that the guys on the right side don't really compliment his play style too well.
Ah. I think a Carle - Stuart 2nd pairing is pretty good. That's assuming you trade Boyle and go with Vlasic and Burns as your #1.

Old
06-28-2012, 11:44 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
Ah. I think a Carle - Stuart 2nd pairing is pretty good. That's assuming you trade Boyle and go with Vlasic and Burns as your #1.
Maybe but it will take a bit of a resurgence from Stuart from how he did this season. I don't think Burns would be a bad partner either but I don't see it as ideal. Carle is sound positionally in his own zone. He doesn't have a good shot either. He's not physical but he's got great passing ability. It's whether you could trust one of them to stay back in the offensive zone. lol Stuart doesn't have that problem but he does step up frequently to make a hit and that could create its own set of issues with Carle defending an odd-man rush.

Old
06-29-2012, 12:45 AM
sjshrky27

I dont know nearly as much as some here about hockey, but the one thing I do know is, Carle sucks. He sucked with the Sharks, he sucked with the Flyers. Just ask the philly fans.

Theres a reason hes a UFA. Its like Ehrhoff all over again

Old
06-29-2012, 06:31 AM
spintheblackcircle
Global Moderator
s'all good, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshrky27 View Post
I dont know nearly as much as some here about hockey, but the one thing I do know is, Carle sucks. He sucked with the Sharks, he sucked with the Flyers. Just ask the philly fans.

Ehrhoff is much better than Carle. Very overpaid, but much better.

Old
06-29-2012, 08:11 AM
sjshrky27

Quote:
Ehrhoff is much better than Carle. Very overpaid, but much better.
After thinking about it, I have to agree. I never liked Ehrhoff, and I do think he is over-rated, but he was/is a better D player then Carle.

Old
06-29-2012, 08:39 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshrky27 View Post

Yeah, there was a reason why Brad Richards was a free agent and there's a reason why Ryan Suter and Zach Parise are going to be free agents. There's a reason why Zdeno Chara was a free agent at one point as well. Ehrhoff is better than Carle but it's amazing how some people here can never get over that some players end up better after being the whipping boy on this team. You can ask Philly fans and they'll tell you that he's nothing special defensively but he's not bad. Sound positionally and very good at moving the puck and has managed to put up solid production the last three years.

Old
06-29-2012, 10:23 AM
one2gamble

Its amazing to me how people dont realize how good Error really is. This D would be miles better with Burns/Boyle/Error than it is now. Though I wouldnt give Error anywhere near the money he is making on his current contract.

Old
06-29-2012, 10:27 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by one2gamble View Post
Its amazing to me how people dont realize how good Error really is. This D would be miles better with Burns/Boyle/Error than it is now. Though I wouldnt give Error anywhere near the money he is making on his current contract.
And man would it be fast

Old
06-29-2012, 10:39 AM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

I can't wait for this time next week ... maybe then we'll have some effin' answers to how this team will look for next season. My gut says it will look awfully familiar. That scares me ...

Old
06-29-2012, 10:44 AM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

https://twitter.com/tsnbobmckenzie/s...14089327837184

Bob McKenzie - ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

Really interesting report by @DarrenDreger saying Marty Brodeur has hired agent Pat Brisson and may test open market on Sunday.

.................................................. ...

Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinteresting ...

Old
06-29-2012, 10:52 AM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthock View Post

Really interesting report by @DarrenDreger saying Marty Brodeur has hired agent Pat Brisson and may test open market on Sunday.

Bet the Hawks sigh him

Old
06-29-2012, 10:54 AM
sjshark91

Quote:
I can't wait for this time next week ... maybe then we'll have some effin' answers to how this team will look for next season. My gut says it will look awfully familiar. That scares me ...
http://www.hellobubba.com/images/hfboards/foff.html

Old
06-29-2012, 11:00 AM
hockeyball

Quote:

I can't see the Sharks having any interest. At this point Brodeur is about the same as Niemi, and Niemi has a cup as well. Brodeur will not want to be a backup either.

Sharks are not at this point likely looking at any kind of goaltending upgrade sadly, not that any is available. I'd say Bernier might garner some interest, but is he actually better than Greiss? Not so far, so I doubt we'll go there this year. If Niemi continue to flounder and Greiss or Stalock can't step in, MAYBE something mid-season.

My gut says the Sharks will bring in two new top-6 wingers (a LW and RW) through trade or free agency. My bet is Howsen eventually folds on Nash and the Pavelski/Clowe trade happens, and a RW like Meuller (that skill/price range kind of player) is brought in. Speaking of which, if DW thinks he's healthy, I could absolutely see him sign Meuller, he's very similar to Cheechoo (not that im endorsing that).

Bottom-6 I still expect a last minute Winnik signing. I think if he was going to sign Moore he would have already. So I expect a 3rd line center brought in again.

On the D we MIGHT see a depth signing at most.

Old
06-29-2012, 11:02 AM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
Bet the Hawks sigh him
Yep, Hawks are the only team other than the Devils that I could see having any interest in signing Brodeur. Although DW needs to sign an overpaid vet this offseason. Could Brodeur be our guy?

Old
06-29-2012, 11:05 AM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I can't see the Sharks having any interest. At this point Brodeur is about the same as Niemi, and Niemi has a cup as well. Brodeur will not want to be a backup either.

Sharks are not at this point likely looking at any kind of goaltending upgrade sadly, not that any is available. I'd say Bernier might garner some interest, but is he actually better than Greiss? Not so far, so I doubt we'll go there this year. If Niemi continue to flounder and Greiss or Stalock can't step in, MAYBE something mid-season.

My gut says the Sharks will bring in two new top-6 wingers (a LW and RW) through trade or free agency. My bet is Howsen eventually folds on Nash and the Pavelski/Clowe trade happens, and a RW like Meuller (that skill/price range kind of player) is brought in. Speaking of which, if DW thinks he's healthy, I could absolutely see him sign Meuller, he's very similar to Cheechoo (not that im endorsing that).

Bottom-6 I still expect a last minute Winnik signing. I think if he was going to sign Moore he would have already. So I expect a 3rd line center brought in again.

On the D we MIGHT see a depth signing at most.
All of this.

I think DW's future with the Sharks rides on this season. He realizes our needs on the wing and will make moves to fill those holes.

I am surprised about not hearing any news regarding Winnik so far. I am hoping he gets resigned before the 1st. I had expected Moore to resign for a fair deal given how poorly he played since joining us but I do not know if DW even extended an offer to him.

06-29-2012, 12:39 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

Brodeur doesn't just have one ring, he has THREE *dougwilsonsalivating.jpg*

He also has his name on the Vezina and has been to the final what, six times? You want to win now? Worth the risk for a one year deal, IMO ...

Old
06-29-2012, 12:50 PM
Franchise13

He may not be whipping boy bad, but I think people are remembering Carle more fondly than he actually is.

A coworker of mine who's a huge Philly fan pretty much loathes Carle. Things that stood out to me during his "assessment": "pushed around the net" "bullied" "lolturnover"

How accurate/overblown in anger those statements are is up for debate. But he's a pretty solid scout in the sport he works in, so I trust him. One thing for certain, Carle is more likely to get more in salary than his actual true skill set suggests, even moreso than most UFAs.

Old
06-29-2012, 01:01 PM
SharksAddict

Quote:
Brodeur doesn't just have one ring, he has THREE *dougwilsonsalivating.jpg*

He also has his name on the Vezina and has been to the final what, six times? You want to win now? Worth the risk for a one year deal, IMO ...
Only if they can trade Niemi. Nemo back to CHI or TOR? Only two teams that make sense.

Then next year you hand the reigns over to Stalock/Greiss.

Don't see it happening but you never know.

Old
06-29-2012, 01:07 PM
spintheblackcircle
Global Moderator
s'all good, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise13 View Post
He may not be whipping boy bad, but I think people are remembering Carle more fondly than he actually is.

A coworker of mine who's a huge Philly fan pretty much loathes Carle. Things that stood out to me during his "assessment": "pushed around the net" "bullied" "lolturnover".
Read the thread on the Flyers board about Carle. If they didn't drive him to the airport, they sure helped him back his bags.

Old
06-29-2012, 01:38 PM
sweHockeypunk21

If I were DW I would heavily pursue Semin and Doan. I would give Doan at most 5.5 annually and Semin 6 at MOST. Hopefully more around 5.5.

Old
06-29-2012, 01:44 PM
KirbyDots

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweHockeypunk21 View Post
If I were DW I would heavily pursue Semin and Doan. I would give Doan at most 5.5 annually and Semin 6 at MOST. Hopefully more around 5.5.
I hope he does at least contact them July 1st. How many years would you give Doan at 5.5? Even though he's great seems a little steep for a player as old as Doan. If we could get Semin at 5.5 I'd be all for it but someone will overpay him.

Closed Thread