HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

We drank the Marleau, yet the whine remains (Off-Season Speculation Thread Part VI)

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2012, 01:47 PM
Korolyuk15

vCash: 500
Would love them to sign Semin (will never happen)...not so keen on Doan, especially not at 5.5 or for a long term deal...

Other players I think are more realistic and fit

Huselius
Mueller
Tootoo
Hagman
Ponikarovsky
A Kostitsyn (don't yell at me too much...)

Old
06-29-2012, 01:55 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthock View Post
Brodeur doesn't just have one ring, he has THREE *dougwilsonsalivating.jpg*

He also has his name on the Vezina and has been to the final what, six times? You want to win now? Worth the risk for a one year deal, IMO ...
Yeah. This sounds like a DW thing. He's on his last legs too, which is strangely a positive for him.

Old
06-29-2012, 01:58 PM
sweHockeypunk21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korolyuk15 View Post
Would love them to sign Semin (will never happen)...not so keen on Doan, especially not at 5.5 or for a long term deal...

Other players I think are more realistic and fit

Huselius
Mueller
Tootoo
Hagman
Ponikarovsky
A Kostitsyn (don't yell at me too much...)

I think they are not worth signing. We need a top-6 winger. If we can't sign Doan, Semin or Parise, I think DW will be making plenty of phone calls.

Old
06-29-2012, 01:59 PM
sweHockeypunk21

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyDots View Post
I hope he does at least contact them July 1st. How many years would you give Doan at 5.5? Even though he's great seems a little steep for a player as old as Doan. If we could get Semin at 5.5 I'd be all for it but someone will overpay him.
1 or 2 years. Longer term on the cheap. And I can almost bet that Semin will end up in Detroit.

Old
06-29-2012, 02:01 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
Read the thread on the Flyers board about Carle. If they didn't drive him to the airport, they sure helped him back his bags.
Yes because HFboards and their assessments of players is always so very accurate.

Old
06-29-2012, 02:02 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyDots View Post
I hope he does at least contact them July 1st. How many years would you give Doan at 5.5? Even though he's great seems a little steep for a player as old as Doan. If we could get Semin at 5.5 I'd be all for it but someone will overpay him.
I wouldn't give Doan more than $5m, he's simply not producing at a level that is worth more than that. I wouldn't give him a deal longer than 3 years either, no matter the price.

On Semin, I would be fine with getting him around $5.5-6, but he's likely going to want a decent term, and I'm be a little concerned about that.

Old
06-29-2012, 02:12 PM
charliehustlee
Rookie User

Would really like the sharks to flip Niemi and then go after Jonathan Bernier. Him + Griess fighting for # 1 spot.

Old
06-29-2012, 02:12 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I wouldn't give Doan more than $5m, he's simply not producing at a level that is worth more than that. I wouldn't give him a deal longer than 3 years either, no matter the price.

On Semin, I would be fine with getting him around $5.5-6, but he's likely going to want a decent term, and I'm be a little concerned about that.
I wouldn't give Doan more the 3.5 per year if I was a GM. He is 35 and will want multiple years. I'd only agree to sign him for 2 years so that is 7 million in total.

That offer would be a fair offer for the man but maybe not for the myth...

His speculative value is being inflated by romanticized ********

Old
06-29-2012, 02:13 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehustlee View Post
Would really like the sharks to flip Niemi and then go after Jonathan Bernier. Him + Griess fighting for # 1 spot.
Based on what. Bernier has played a little more then Griess in the NHL. At this point Bernier is a total unknown kinda like Griess

Old
06-29-2012, 02:14 PM
Franchise13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Yes because HFboards and their assessments of players is always so very accurate.
The hypocrisy here is ....

On another note, wouldn't people who watch Flyers game 82 times a year have a better grasp of what someone brings? Granted there are always debbie downers, and fan bases tend to jump all over certain players, but I don't think there's many Flyer fans out there that would want Carle back unless he signs dirt cheap.

I hope Parise signs on July 1st btw, this no movement thing is getting boring. Need dominoes to start falling.

Put me in the camp that would love Semin on this team. Kinda iffy on Doan though, guess it depends on the years.

Wrote around the TDL that I would love Ryan and would be willing to swap Couture for him give or take assets either way. I think it's a better fit for both teams, still stand by it. As far as straight hockey trades go, I don't think you get much closer in value. Also said that this all C team thing is kind of wonky and would love some natural wingers at the time, got crucified here for it.

Pretty much resigned to the fact that Nash will be a Shark. Might not be the best move hockey wise, but would definitely get me to go to a few games to watch. It'll be exciting and entertaining to watch at least.

Old
06-29-2012, 02:18 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
...and on the last page you said "You can ask Philly fans and they'll tell you that he's nothing special defensively but he's not bad"

So, based on what Philly fans said (just like you requested), he is that bad.

06-29-2012, 02:19 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise13 View Post

Pretty much resigned to the fact that Nash will be a Shark. Might not be the best move hockey wise, but would definitely get me to go to a few games to watch. It'll be exciting and entertaining to watch at least.
It'll be entertaining in the same way watching a train of all your beloved possessions crash and burn, then explode while going off the rails and then watching the burning wreckage get pounded by a freak meteor shower which then erupts into flames.

Old
06-29-2012, 02:21 PM
Franchise13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
It'll be entertaining in the same way watching a train of all your beloved possessions crash and burn, then explode while going off the rails and then watching the burning wreckage get pounded by a freak meteor shower which then erupts into flames.
I lol'd. Bravo. Train wrecks are entertaining!

Honestly, I do wanna see what JT and Nash can do against NHL comp. I wonder if they'll bring Hagman in too for lulz.

Old
06-29-2012, 02:22 PM
WantonAbandon

As for Carle... The Sharks currently have Boyle, Burns, and Demers,... They also have a few other guys who can move the puck fairly well. They don't need another PMD. What the Sharks really lack is a shutdown who is effective in all situations or at least a group of defensemen that would give the Sharks an effective option in all situations. Carle doesn't fit the bill

Old
06-29-2012, 02:22 PM
KirbyDots

http://www.csnbayarea.com/hockey-san...2&feedID=10290

Kurz's columns are usually a mix of the obvious, good points, and bullpucky. This one makes some good points and some bad.

Old
06-29-2012, 02:23 PM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
Actually I do think it will be entertaining to watch Nash. If he was a UFA we could pick up I would be all up for it.

The issue here is we have to give up hell of a lot to get him: i.e Pavs.

06-29-2012, 02:23 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehustlee View Post
Bernier is nothing special. I've been watching both since they entered the league (bit of a Kings fan) and I've been saying for years to my Kings fan friends that Quick was the real deal, wait it out, give him a chance, don't give up on him. Bernier on the other hand I really don't ever see being any special. Lot of hype, not a lot of reality.

In the last two seasons:

Niemi: 128GP, .917SV%, 2.40GAA
Greiss: 35GP, .914SV%, 2.47GAA
Bernier: 41GP, .911SV%, 2.43GAA

Why do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
I wouldn't give Doan more the 3.5 per year if I was a GM. He is 35 and will want multiple years. I'd only agree to sign him for 2 years so that is 7 million in total.

That offer would be a fair offer for the man but maybe not for the myth...
I don't disagree, but realistically he's going to get atleast $4.5m.

Also, one thing about Brodeur that would be good is he can play the damn puck. Then again, so can Stalock.

Old
06-29-2012, 02:25 PM
charliehustlee
Rookie User

Quote:
Based on what. Bernier has played a little more then Griess in the NHL. At this point Bernier is a total unknown kinda like Griess
An elite goal tending prospect that got stuck behind another that turned out to be a veinza winner. Sure he doesn't have a ring so DW wont be interested.. but the boys got skilsss

Old
06-29-2012, 02:25 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Bernier is nothing special. I've been watching both since they entered the league (bit of a Kings fan) and I've been saying for years to my Kings fan friends that Quick was the real deal, wait it out, give him a chance, don't give up on him. Bernier on the other hand I really don't ever see being any special. Lot of hype, not a lot of reality.

In the last two seasons:

Niemi: 128GP, .917SV%, 2.40GAA
Greiss: 35GP, .914SV%, 2.47GAA
Bernier: 41GP, .911SV%, 2.43GAA

Why do that?

I don't disagree, but realistically he's going to get atleast $4.5m.

Also, one thing about Brodeur that would be good is he can play the damn puck. Then again, so can Stalock.
Brodeur at this point is another man vs myth... at this point in his career the man has one of the lowest even strength save percentages in the league.

Brodeur and Doan will likely go to a GM desperate to make a "splash"... however in Doans case it really wouldn't surprise me if he still got 3.5 million. Kind of like what Nolan got

And Bernier has barely played any games

Old
06-29-2012, 02:29 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Brodeur at this point is another man vs myth... at this point in his career the man has one of the lowest even strength save percentages in the league.

Brodeur and Doan will likely go to a GM desperate to make a "splash"... however in Doans case it really wouldn't surprise me if he still got 3.5 million. Kind of like what Nolan got

And Bernier has barely played any games
I was comparing him to Greiss, who has nearly identical stats and is simply less hyped. If they want to swap Greiss for Bernier, sure, only because Greiss is a free agent next season. Beyond that, why?

Old
06-29-2012, 02:34 PM
Franchise13

Pass on Marty.

Niemi is an appropriately paid, slightly above average goalie. No need to change things up for changes' sake IMO. More pressing needs on SJ's roster.

Know what? F' it. If DW is willing to throw 7.8M in Cap and assets for Nash, maybe Parise will be open to 4yrs 32M... Short term enough for the Sharks to swallow to make up for the inflated money. Enough money to possibly entice Parise, and still gives him the opportunity for another large contract. He gets to see what California is really like to see if he wants to live here forever. He gets to play with JT. His fiance can wear a sundress for him 80% of the year. If you suck, no one will ultimately give a crap since you are buried in the back pages behind the Giants and the Niners, not to mention no contract in the bay will ever be as bad as Zito's. If you win a Cup in SJ, you were the "missing" piece that made this constantly underachieving team "work"

Quoting Dany: "You can go to practice in shorts and sandals if you feel like it"

Win-win! Not seeing a downside here guys!

Old
06-29-2012, 02:37 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Pass on Marty.

Niemi is an appropriately paid, slightly above average goalie. No need to change things up for changes' sake IMO. More pressing needs on SJ's roster.

Know what? F' it. If DW is willing to throw 7.8M in Cap and assets for Nash, maybe Parise will be open to 4yrs 32M... Short term enough for the Sharks to swallow to make up for the inflated money. Enough money to possibly entice Parise, and still gives him the opportunity for another large contract. He gets to see what California is really like to see if he wants to live here forever. He gets to play with JT. His fiance can wear a sundress for him 80% of the year. If you suck, no one will ultimately give a crap since you are buried in the back pages behind the Giants and the Niners, not to mention no contract in the bay will ever be as bad as Zito's. If you win a Cup in SJ, you were the "missing" piece that made this constantly underachieving team "work"

Quoting Dany: "You can go to practice in shorts and sandals if you feel like it"

I have a feeling Nash is staying where he is at this point. Wilson probably wouldn't have waited this long if he played to throw the kitchen sink at Columbus. At this point it is unknown if he is pursuing Nash at all.

Old
06-29-2012, 02:38 PM
sweHockeypunk21

Quote:
Pass on Marty.

One can only dream of a top-6 of
Parise-Thornton-Nash
Marleau-Couture-Havlat

Old
06-29-2012, 02:38 PM
Franchise13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweHockeypunk21 View Post
One can only dream of a top-6 of
Parise-Thornton-Nash
Marleau-Couture-Havlat