HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XV

Closed Thread

Old
07-27-2012, 10:40 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg Jesus View Post
Semin had 39 giveaways last year - 12 fewer than Ovechkin, and good for 69th in the league amongst forwards. The Semin turnover thing is way overblown.

By the way, just because I found this interesting: the top seven forwards in giveaways are Kovalchuk, Getzlaf, Thornton, Spezza, Kessel, Malkin, and Tavares. Maybe giveaways are a good thing?
nothing to see here... the more you handle the puck the more you cough it up. no surprise those players lead the league in giveaways as they always have the puck

Old
07-28-2012, 12:49 AM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
Quote:
Semin had 39 giveaways last year - 12 fewer than Ovechkin, and good for 69th in the league amongst forwards. The Semin turnover thing is way overblown.

By the way, just because I found this interesting: the top seven forwards in giveaways are Kovalchuk, Getzlaf, Thornton, Spezza, Kessel, Malkin, and Tavares. Maybe giveaways are a good thing?
I didn't say they were a bad thing when it came to the likes of Semin or Ovechkin.

Kovalchuk though, he gives away the puck in the defensive zone.

Old
07-28-2012, 02:08 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:

If you score points to go along with those giveaways, I guess it's not so bad.

Old
07-28-2012, 08:07 AM
txpd

i think what you are missing with the giveaway stat is that you have to have the puck first to be credited with a giveaway. that and that a giveaway is given anywhere on the ice. so...you carry the puck into the offensive corner and get hit and lose the puck and you get a giveaway.

this is why an offensive d gets a lot of them and a defensive d very few.

just look at backstrom's giveways in a full season of work.

semin's lack of giveaways reflects his lack of playing time and puck control. very likely

Old
07-28-2012, 03:31 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

I'm wondering what it'd take to get Vanek out of BUF. He's got 2 years left on the deal and is a bit overpaid IMO. Johansson + 1st +...?

Old
07-28-2012, 05:06 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

I don't know why anyone would put any credence in any of the "real time stats" from NHL.com, especially takeaways and giveaways. Stat tracking for those is a complete joke with no league wide normalization or oversight.

Old
07-28-2012, 11:31 PM
Atlas

No one wants to say so I'll say it:

The Caps need to re-build this thing.

It's time to figure out what the deal is w/ Ovie. He was great against BOS and NYR so maybe he's good for the playoffs and a 35 goal guy in the regular season.

I'd keep:

Backstrom
Alzner
Holtby
Brouwer
Orlov

I'd probably keep:

Ovie
Carlson
Chimera

I'd trade:

Laich
Ward
Neuvy
Mojo
Schultz (Haha)
Green

I'd re-sign Ribs if I could.

There are two major problems right now. Our 3rd line has no C and we have weak goal scoring wingers behind Ovie.

I expect we'll make the playoffs as a 6-8 seed and get clocked in the first round.

Old
07-28-2012, 11:47 PM
um

caps dont need to rebuild, we just need some forward depth and maybe some more defense, which we have a long time to figure out. the only scenario to panic and is somewhat reasonable to happen is if holtby and neuvirth both end up sucking.

Old
07-29-2012, 01:17 AM
Halpysback

No need to rebuild, just cut the dead weight.

Get Kostitsyn (physical + good in the playoffs + can score from 20 feet out without a screen)

Try to pry Lydman cheaply out of Anaheim (they seem to have a ton of defensemen). If they're willing to do something around Laich and Beauchemin pursue that instead. I don't see them willing to part with Ryan barring something crippling. Maybe Schultz + 2nd + 4th for Lydman?

Keep Johansson as a 3C so he can develop his game at C.

Ovechkin Backstrom Brouwer
Laich Ribeiro Kostitsyn
Chimera Johansson Ward
Hendricks Beagle Crabb
Wolski PRO

Alzner Carlson
Lydman Green
Hamrlik Orlov
Hillen

Holtby
Neuvirth

If the Devils made it to the ECF so could this lineup. No real holes, all competent NHL players, none playing above their heads.

Old
07-29-2012, 02:24 AM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post

Ovechkin Backstrom Brouwer
Laich Ribeiro Kostitsyn
Chimera Johansson Ward
Hendricks Beagle Crabb
Wolski PRO

If the Devils made it to the ECF so could this lineup. No real holes, all competent NHL players, none playing above their heads.

I can't agree there. Each line has at least one guy playing too high up the depth chart:

1st: Brouwer
2nd: Laich
3rd: Chim/Ward are both iffy here
4th: ok, these guy are probably fine...I mean, they are all borderline AHL but...the NHL is watered down

I dunno, man. As a whole, the O is dominated by hands of stone. I expect to see Oatesy shaking his head and saying "Wow" a lot come October.

"Ward to Chimera...overskates it ...doh!"

Old
07-29-2012, 07:06 AM
fsnoles98

There is a lot of babbling on this board regarding the roster. Caps fans need to be prepared, this Caps roster is basically set. No matter how much you b!tch and moan about it, this is who George is going with. There will be no Ryan, no , no Kuznetsov (for a MINIMUM 2 years, if that). If you know anything about hockey, Galiev is not ready, the defense is still vulnerable and yes we are limited offensively on the second line. What can you do about it?? Nothing, so stop complaining and enjoy the rest of the summer.

Old
07-29-2012, 08:47 AM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsnoles98 View Post
There is a lot of babbling on this board regarding the roster. Caps fans need to be prepared, this Caps roster is basically set. No matter how much you b!tch and moan about it, this is who George is going with. There will be no Ryan, no , no Kuznetsov (for a MINIMUM 2 years, if that). If you know anything about hockey, Galiev is not ready, the defense is still vulnerable and yes we are limited offensively on the second line. What can you do about it?? Nothing, so stop complaining and enjoy the rest of the summer.
Easy for you to say, you got the roster move you wanted most.

Old
07-29-2012, 09:11 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
Easy for you to say, you got the roster move you wanted most.
while thats true based on the above post he feels no better about the team. it still sucks.

Old
07-29-2012, 11:23 AM
Cappy76

Send a message via AIM to Cappy76 Send a message via MSN to Cappy76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
I can't agree there. Each line has at least one guy playing too high up the depth chart:

4th: ok, these guy are probably fine...I mean, they are all borderline AHL but...the NHL is watered down

I dunno, man. As a whole, the O is dominated by hands of stone. I expect to see Oatesy shaking his head and saying "Wow" a lot come October.

How is Chimera an iffy 3rd liner? Ward isn't really an iffy 3rd either but I can see why you would think that after last season.

Old
07-29-2012, 12:01 PM
txpd

i am not sure how any of them are iffy. brouwer has been a fine 3rd on top lines in chicago and washington. no, he is not a 1st line player per say, but neither was knuble. yet knuble was the perfect 3rd to compliment high end pairs like thornton and murray and ovechkin and backstrom. he provided what they needed.

laich's best work has come as a 2 line winger and his work was at minimum up to that level of performance.

chimera scored 20g's off the 3rd line last season, so i dont get that comment at all.

ward...maybe, but the rest? no

Old
07-29-2012, 12:10 PM
bonzaibondra12

Quote:

None of those guys you listed are playing above there heads except Brouwer.

Laich scored 50-60 pts as a 2nd line wing. People seem to forget, last year was the first time he was fully at center.

Chimera is a good to great 3rd liner who has made in impact in the playoffs. Ward is average to good in that spot.

Old
07-29-2012, 12:43 PM
PSUCapsFan

Does anyone else get a late 2000s Ottawa Senators feel about this team?

Old
07-29-2012, 01:02 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUCapsFan View Post
Does anyone else get a late 2000s Ottawa Senators feel about this team?
Not at all. That team, and the Sabres, fell apart because they couldn't afford to retain their core.

We fell apart because our general manager refused/refuses to surround his core complementary pieces.

Old
07-29-2012, 01:12 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Politics.
No, business.

I don't want a war.

Old
07-29-2012, 02:23 PM
Halpysback

Quote:

Brouwer is ok in his role as a 3rd wheel on a line with 2 supremely talented players.

Laich is borderline but given the strength of the 1st line and having a playmaker and a sniper on his line there's not that much pressure on him to score or set up plays. He can just be the happy go lucky "look at me I'm doing intangibly stuff and pretending to screen the goalie" Brooks Laich and it would be more than enough. Kostitsyn should be good enough for 25 if not 30 now that he finally gets top 6 icetime and a decent playmaking center.

Chimera and Ward are absolutely 3rd line caliber players. Hendricks and Beagle are easily 4th if not 3rd line players. Crabb is iffy. That 3rd line has 2 speed demons and one of the best board guys in the NHL. Its not the most offensive or defensive 3rd lien out there but it could do a lot of good things. The point I was making is with that lineup we're not praying for Wolski, Laich and Brouwer to play above their heads or Jeff Schultz to grow a pair for the team to be as much as playoff bound let alone a legitimate contender.

Or if we're obsessed with having wingers be on their on wing

Laich-Backstrom-Ovechkin
Kostitsyn-Ribeiro-Brouwer

Last edited by Halpysback: 07-29-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old
07-29-2012, 02:25 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
while thats true based on the above post he feels no better about the team. it still sucks.
Yeah but he finally won the coveted No Semin cup. Who even cares about the Stanley cup now? It seems almost trivially banal in comparison.

Old
07-29-2012, 02:27 PM
Liberati0n
Jesus Christ Marie

vCash: 50
I think Ward is the best possible Knuble replacement at even strength. Obviously he needs to be tried there to see, but his skillset makes him the best fit, I think. Brouwer and Laich both have more skill, and may be a little better at camping out in front of the net, but what that line probably needs more than anything is Knuble's ability to be a wide, immovable **** who can dig the puck out and keep possession. Ward's also obviously better at forechecking than Laich at least. Brouwer's a better hitter, which matters, but if I want to gain possession of the puck I think I'll take Ward forechecking over both of them.

Old
07-29-2012, 02:43 PM
Halpysback

Yeah Ward and Brouwer switching places on 1st and 3rd might make more sense. He was great with Erat and Legwand

Chimera-Johansson-Brouwer would be even faster and Brouwer could do the protection routine for Johansson and whatnot. Plus that line screams chemistry.

Old
07-29-2012, 04:59 PM
Jedgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Yeah Ward and Brouwer switching places on 1st and 3rd might make more sense. He was great with Erat and Legwand

Chimera-Johansson-Brouwer would be even faster and Brouwer could do the protection routine for Johansson and whatnot. Plus that line screams chemistry.
I really like that as a 3rd line.

Laich-Ribeiro-Ovechkin
Wolski-Backstrom-Ward
Chimera-Johansson-Brouwer
Hendricks-Beagle-Crabb
Perreault

I think Backstrom in top form could get Wolski and Ward producing, if not put Perreault up there instead of one of them.

Old
07-29-2012, 05:17 PM
um

laich-backstrom-ovechkin
johansson-ribeiro-brouwer
chimera-perrault-ward
hendricks-beagle-crabb
wolski

i like mojo better as a winger and perrault as a center, and perrault has a ****** 2 way game so i'm hoping he'll develop it on the third line

Closed Thread