HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XV

Closed Thread

Old
08-17-2012, 02:10 PM
Kcoyote3

vCash: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
And Scott Hannan signs for 1 year $1 mil in Nashville. Wasn't it TXPD predicting a league minimum contract?
And a two-way deal was predicated as well I think.

Old
08-17-2012, 02:38 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
Quote:
And Scott Hannan signs for 1 year $1 mil in Nashville. Wasn't it TXPD predicting a league minimum contract?
That's pretty much what he got.

txpd may not have been exactly right on the figures, but the essence of his argument has, if anything, been proven.

Old
08-17-2012, 04:50 PM
Ridley Simon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Wait, I'm authoritarian about the Caps?

Enstrom is the only high profile defenseman RFA to sign. Subban, Del Zotto, and Kulikov are still unsigned as well. There are plenty of other plausible reasons for why Carlson hasn't signed.

I remember those moves plenty well. But that was the pre-cap era and McPhee hasn't made those moves recently. Which do you think is a better predictor of an individual's behavior, his recent actions or the actions he took 8+ years ago?
Welp, his *most* recent action is Wolski, which is akin to those 8 years old moves. So...yeah.

Old
08-17-2012, 05:07 PM
txpd

let me clarify on hannan. the league min is $500k. a one year $1m contract is just about as rock bottom as you get. that was my point. not that he would get the actual minimum. i never suggested he would get a two way deal. likely he would rather retire than do that.

further, my point was that it appeared to me that the league's decision makers think that the game has passed hannan by and his play for the capitals set that market for him.

this time last season many here thought that hannan ended up with his bargain basement one year calgary deal because he very poorly overplayed his free agent hand. further, there was a feeling that he had been quite good in calgary proving mcphee should have kept him.

even this off season there have been some thinking he is a 2nd pair defenseman on a good team and the caps should bring him back.

now, the verdict is in. he's a bargain basement, leftover player.

Old
08-17-2012, 05:46 PM
Carlzner

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
let me clarify on hannan. the league min is $500k. a one year $1m contract is just about as rock bottom as you get. that was my point. not that he would get the actual minimum. i never suggested he would get a two way deal. likely he would rather retire than do that.

further, my point was that it appeared to me that the league's decision makers think that the game has passed hannan by and his play for the capitals set that market for him.

this time last season many here thought that hannan ended up with his bargain basement one year calgary deal because he very poorly overplayed his free agent hand. further, there was a feeling that he had been quite good in calgary proving mcphee should have kept him.

even this off season there have been some thinking he is a 2nd pair defenseman on a good team and the caps should bring him back.

Well... no... it's twice as much as rock bottom.

Old
08-17-2012, 05:46 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:

Yup, totally agree. Hannan is overrated around here due to the style he plays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner
Well... no... it's twice as much as rock bottom.
I hope you're just trolling.

Old
08-17-2012, 08:13 PM
txpd

i agree. $1m is twice as much as $500k. that being true does not change the fact that its still a rock bottom salary.

edit: i checked the eastern conference capgeek payrolls. toronto, pittsburgh, rangers, islanders, carolina, and panthers have a top 6 defenseman salary at or below $1m. of those several are entry level contracts and the rest are scrubs like stu bickell and derek engelland.
its a bottom of the payroll contract.

Last edited by txpd: 08-17-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old
08-17-2012, 09:44 PM
Halpysback

Lulz at Preds signing low tier players for 1 million dollars. Everyone knows you should sign them for 2.75 or 3!

Old
08-18-2012, 12:47 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
Yup, totally agree. Hannan is overrated around here due to the style he plays.
Gee I don't know. That doesn't seem like something Caps fans would do...

Old
08-18-2012, 08:40 AM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Pretty sure it would be four years...under the current agreement anyhow.

The players are probably going to get slaughtered so waiting it out for a more advantageous CBA seems naive, though you're right on the extent to which they'll need to compromise. Teams looking to buy out UFA seasons could be better off just waiting and hoping the UFA threshold raises. Waiting for Subban or any chance of an offer sheet to sign seems smart but for now I'd guess his demands are pretty high. Like $5M+ high. The conditions are there for an eventual short-term bridge contract similar to Alzner, albeit higher.
Yes, I stand corrected. 4 years. Tack on a year to it. 4 for 12m, or 11.5m total.

Old
08-18-2012, 05:51 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Regarding Scott Hannan what I know is this, in the past 9 seasons, he has missed or not played in a total of 15 games. That's iron man numbers for a defenseman. Hannan is not a glamorous player, but he's sound positionally, durable and dependable plus when here he had the reputation at being a good communicator both on and off the ice helping his fellow d-men and finally he remains a better option than JFS (2.75 for two more years) and Erskine (1.5) and he's obviously cheaper.

Then again, Caps fans know that there's a direct correlation between a player's salary and their performance/production.

Last edited by BiPolar Caps: 08-18-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old
08-18-2012, 09:56 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Backpeddle engaged...

Old
08-18-2012, 10:58 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

At some point during the upcoming season, after a few Wideman gaffes in the defensive end, Flames fans will yearn for Hannan.

Old
08-19-2012, 12:58 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Whatever. Jeff Schultz is 2.75 times the player Hannan will ever be.

Old
08-19-2012, 01:42 AM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Regarding Scott Hannan what I know is this, in the past 9 seasons, he has missed or not played in a total of 15 games. That's iron man numbers for a defenseman. Hannan is not a glamorous player, but he's sound positionally, durable and dependable plus when here he had the reputation at being a good communicator both on and off the ice helping his fellow d-men and finally he remains a better option than JFS (2.75 for two more years) and Erskine (1.5) and he's obviously cheaper.

Then again, Caps fans know that there's a direct correlation between a player's salary and their performance/production.

Hear! Hear!

Right on, Ref. Hannan was a solid, smart bottom 3 D man for WSH. He misplayed coverage against the Lightning in the playoffs and got scorched for a goal--that's all anyone remembers. The team was **** that year for who knows what reasons. Hannan was one of the few players we could count on.

Maybe he didn't want to come back to this insane asylum?

Old
08-19-2012, 09:48 AM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Hear! Hear!

Right on, Ref. Hannan was a solid, smart bottom 3 D man for WSH. He misplayed coverage against the Lightning in the playoffs and got scorched for a goal--that's all anyone remembers. The team was **** that year for who knows what reasons. Hannan was one of the few players we could count on.

He didnt, that was obvious.

Fanboys will state that George didnt want him back. Maybe not. But it seemed obvious he didnt want to be here either.

Old
08-19-2012, 12:55 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Whatever. Jeff Schultz is 2.75 times the player Hannan will ever be.
LOL...funny...

Old
08-19-2012, 01:37 PM
Kcoyote3

vCash: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Hear! Hear!

Agreed. There was actually an article posted right before the playoffs that year that outlined the stats of each dman when they played with Hannan and when they didn't. I think the stats of every single player except Erskine improved when they were paired with Hannan versus not. It was especially effective when Green and Hannan were paired together.

Old
08-19-2012, 02:56 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Backpeddle engaged...
Except not. And it's "backpedal," obviously.

Old
08-19-2012, 05:08 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
He didnt, that was obvious.

Fanboys will state that George didnt want him back. Maybe not. But it seemed obvious he didnt want to be here either.
i think its very possible that he didnt want to return to the caps. removing george from the equation, however, thru two ufa markets scott hannan only was able to get himself a 1 year $1m contract from all the rest of the gm's.

my take is that last off season had mcphee signed hannan to 3 years at $2.5m per that most here would have thought that a decent deal. yet, rest of the league had no interest in that.

now...maybe hannan would have rejected 1 year @ $1m from george. but i'd bet he would have stepped right up with a pen for a 3 year multi million dollar offer from george. dont you?

Old
08-19-2012, 07:42 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

It's possible Hannan got higher $ offers on a 1 year deal in places he had no interest in living too. He's already had his career deal, so it's not like he's hurting for $$ and could turn down more $ in places he'd rather not play. It's all speculation, but he's getting jobs still.

Old
08-20-2012, 04:44 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
i think its very possible that he didnt want to return to the caps. removing george from the equation, however, thru two ufa markets scott hannan only was able to get himself a 1 year $1m contract from all the rest of the gm's.

my take is that last off season had mcphee signed hannan to 3 years at $2.5m per that most here would have thought that a decent deal. yet, rest of the league had no interest in that.

now...maybe hannan would have rejected 1 year @ $1m from george. but i'd bet he would have stepped right up with a pen for a 3 year multi million dollar offer from george. dont you?
I think he would have this year. I dont know if he woul have last year. I think Hannan over-valued himself coming out of 2011, and got jobbed a little bit....and that his game play didnt change that thru 2012. Had GMGM offered him 3 years at very end of 2011, I think Hannan would have declined as he would have *thought* he could get that somewhere else.

My thinking is this: Caps would have had to overpay to sign Hannan. Equal or slightly less and he signs somewhere else. I think that still holds true

Old
08-20-2012, 05:50 PM
txpd

rids, you could be right, but i think its more likely that mcphee gave hannan a chance to play top 4 minutes on a cup contender and hannan played his way out of a top 4 job league wide.

i am not quick to blame mcphee or the team as a rule. so maybe i am just soft. however, the rest of the league twice over now has backed up the pov that hannan is not considered anything but a veteran bottom of the lineup/payroll player. stu bickel got a better contract.

if its not his game, then it has to be his inside the doors of the team professional conduct and relationships that has killed his value.

i can see where you could think he overplayed his hand last off season, but this off season backs up last.

Old
08-20-2012, 08:33 PM
Dream Big

Quote:
i agree. $1m is twice as much as $500k. that being true does not change the fact that its still a rock bottom salary.edit: i checked the eastern conference capgeek payrolls. toronto, pittsburgh, rangers, islanders, carolina, and panthers have a top 6 defenseman salary at or below $1m. of those several are entry level contracts and the rest are scrubs like stu bickell and derek engelland.
its a bottom of the payroll contract.
Cap Geek: Alzner, Karl » $1,270,000$1,285,000 Almost at "scrubs" salary. Or in the vicinity of 'a rock bottom salary.'

I guess he'll be going to Calgary or Nashville next.

Old
08-20-2012, 08:41 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Hannan was 2nd in overall ice time and 4th per game among Flames D. That's not playing yourself out of a top-4 job the way I see it.

Closed Thread