HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XV

Closed Thread

Old
08-21-2012, 02:31 PM
Halpysback

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
1 bad year and he's a caps goalie reject? Should we ship out Carlson too?
37th in save percentage and 36th in GAA is a bit worse than a "bad" year. And his "good" year was nothing special either.

If you really can't tell the difference between Neuvirth and Carlson I'm not sure if I can help you there. If you're looking for a Neuvirth comparison on defense Schultz is much closer.

Old
08-21-2012, 02:37 PM
Halpysback

Gill is considered one of if not the best mentor partners in the league. The habs brought half their defensive core up with him holding their hands. Gorges, Subban, Diaz. Of the 4 million on his new contract 3 are for the work he's expected to do with Blum, Josi, Ellis, Ekholm, etc. The other is for him being a one man PK on the ice. Unique players generally are valued highly even if they don't have high end overall abilities. Look at Boogaard or Steckel. Hannan seems like a pretty good mentor but he doesn't have Gill's unique abilities or reputation as the best teammate in the league.

I'd love him on our team for that price teaching Green, Carlson and Orlov how to be good hockey professionals.

Hannan seems like he's gonna be the kind of guy who is gonna keep getting 1 million while putting out 2-3 million caliber work. Steal for teams that sign him. We have a bag of **** making 2.75x as much as well as one of their rejects making 3 million so we can't exactly chirp the preds here.

Though maybe all the GMs know what they are doing, just like they did by not giving Thomas or Seidenberg a chance for many years. I can't help but wonder what people here thought of Seidenberg before he broke out. I got some heat for thinking he might be a better option than Schmorskina

Old
08-21-2012, 02:51 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

I think I might deal Neuvirth. Dude has a mouth and just ripped the team.

I know some of what he says is true, but he's not really good enough to dish on many.

Old
08-21-2012, 02:58 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
I think I might deal Neuvirth. Dude has a mouth and just ripped the team.

I know some of what he says is true, but he's not really good enough to dish on many.
2 Cups, 1 Neuvy.

Old
08-21-2012, 03:07 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
It's always amusing when European players talk to the media back home. It's often as though they don't think anyone will ever read what they say. Oops.

With the exception of Oates, Mahoney and Backstrom interviews with people affiliated with the Caps usually tend to come across as fairly unimpressive.
It depends what you're impressed by. I think the way Neuvirth handled himself in that interview, for the most part, was great. The comments about Holtby were a little iffy, and not something you'd want to see him make to the Washington Post or whatever. But overall his answers were very matter-of-fact, and he offered his genuine takes on things without phrasing them in particularly dangerous ways.

Anyway, I think his attitude is impressive. He's arrogant, but recognizes that he has to earn his playing time. He's self-aware and understands that the circumstances around him matter. If only he had Varlamov's talent.

Old
08-21-2012, 07:53 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

FWIW:
http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks...-translations/

Old
08-22-2012, 10:53 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

FWIW, THN pre season predictions have the Capitals winning the Southeast Division.

Old
08-22-2012, 11:00 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
FWIW, THN pre season predictions have the Capitals winning the Southeast Division.
Not really that big of a stretch. Even if the team got worse, only Carolina is a team that got "that much" better, in the offseason.

Old
08-22-2012, 11:30 AM
Ovechkins Wodka

THN is counting down their power rankings. Caps will be top 3 in the east with Bos and Pitt, ratted higher then NYR. Not sure i agree with them but maybe the sky isnt falling in Washington and +Ribeiro -Semin +Oates -Hunter is a good offseason.

Old
08-22-2012, 11:35 AM
Ovechkins Wodka

On Noovys comments. Im sick of him. You dont throw teammates and coaches under the bus to the media keep it in the locker room. ship him out of town for a winger and sign a cheap vet to backup Holtby. douces noovy

Old
08-22-2012, 11:36 AM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

I'm not sure why THN's opinion should change anyone's perception of the team.

Quote:
On Noovys comments. Im sick of him. You dont throw teammates and coaches under the bus to the media keep it in the locker room. ship him out of town for a winger and sign a cheap vet to backup Holtby. douces noovy
Yeah, he totally threw guys under the bus. :

Now I have to oppose trading Neuvirth just because people want him gone for the wrong reason.

Old
08-22-2012, 12:06 PM
NeilYoung

I enjoy reading nueva comments as a fan but if I'm on that team I wouldn't want to see **** like that in the media. Hasn't neuvirth been rumored to already be not very liked in the room?

Old
08-22-2012, 12:07 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilYoung View Post
I enjoy reading nueva comments as a fan but if I'm on that team I wouldn't want to see **** like that in the media. Hasn't neuvirth been rumored to already be not very liked in the room?

He's a goalie AND Eastern European? Naturally he won't be liked in the locker room.

Old
08-22-2012, 12:11 PM
bonzilla

The Czech media is world famous for stretching the truth and throwing people under the bus. It's their tradition and their audience expects it. I think it particularly gets worse during the summer. They used to alternately glorify and vilify Jager just to start controversy and have something titillating to print. So IMO, no real story here.

My BIL is a Czech native and I can say from personal experience that Czech/English translation is wide open for interpretation and relative meaning. They communicate with a far more strongly worded and imaginative style… We get far more upset about such s* than they do.

Old
08-22-2012, 12:44 PM
txpd

tarik reported two seasons ago that nuevirth was not liked in the room. he's a geek among jocks. its to be expected.

Old
08-22-2012, 01:05 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
tarik reported two seasons ago that nuevirth was not liked in the room. he's a geek among jocks. its to be expected.
Two years is a long time for a professional sports team and for someone of Neuvy's age. I wonder if he's still disliked? I imagine this article won't help, unless he's expressing widely-held opinions, which is possible.

Old
08-22-2012, 01:25 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
I figured the "outrageous" comments were loosely translated to generate page hits

Old
08-22-2012, 01:36 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I figured the "outrageous" comments were loosely translated to generate page hits
That's my feeling...

Old
08-22-2012, 02:05 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
I'm an RMNB staff writer/Russian translator and I can say that's not the case. That's the accusation you throw without any proof. I spent a lot of time talking to our editors about all that situation yesterday.
We couldn't make it sound more outrageous than it was because none of the staff writers (who are the only people interested in popularity of the post) knows Czech. And RMNB doesn't capitalize on page views (no ads).
Yes, I understand that there are a lot of questions as a reader about intentions... But there was no intent to make it worse than it was, that's what I can say.

Old
08-22-2012, 02:13 PM
G3 LesPaul

Quote:
Oh god then what how is Sarge viewed then

Old
08-22-2012, 02:18 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Tarik...or Neuvirth?

Vogel/Leonhardt once suggested Tarik had an axe to grind with Neuvirth stemming from him having been stiffed post-game once. Consider the source but Tarik was never immune from masquerading his opinion as fact.

The ironic aspect to Neuvirth talking about competition is his lone season as The Guy was in large part aided Varlamov hardly being healthy.

Last edited by Langway: 08-22-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Old
08-22-2012, 02:51 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
I'm an RMNB staff writer/Russian translator and I can say that's not the case. That's the accusation you throw without any proof. I spent a lot of time talking to our editors about all that situation yesterday.
We couldn't make it sound more outrageous than it was because none of the staff writers (who are the only people interested in popularity of the post) knows Czech. And RMNB doesn't capitalize on page views (no ads).
Yes, I understand that there are a lot of questions as a reader about intentions... But there was no intent to make it worse than it was, that's what I can say.
Thanks for sharing a view from the reporting side.

I was not accusing RMNB directly, but it was more pointing at media companies in general, because it seems shock value in reporting is the backbone of the US media. Run with the headline that sells the most page hits, even if it's not exactly true nor the most important part of the story. I figure the same may well be true in other countries.

Why would Neuvy say those things is a question I ask.

Old
08-22-2012, 02:56 PM
Carlzner

Quote:
Thanks for sharing a view from the reporting side.

I was not accusing RMNB directly, but it was more pointing at media companies in general, because it seems shock value in reporting is the backbone of the US media. Run with the headline that sells the most page hits, even if it's not exactly true nor the most important part of the story. I figure the same may well be true in other countries.

Why would Neuvy say those things is a question I ask.
Well... what he said isn't nearly as bad as RMNB's title makes it seem. He's just being honest with a Czech newspaper. (How much they may or may not have spun is obviously unknown to anyone but them) But even in the final product... he's just pointing out his current competition is the first one to have less NHL experience than him, and he advised Vokoun to go to the Pens over Russia.

Old
08-22-2012, 04:39 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Even if McPhee ment to make OV more motivated and less influenced by enigmatic Semin... Im sure McPhee didn't want Neuvirth to remind OV about his not ideal work ethic.

That is a problem. For me at least.

Someone in the RMNB comments said that "i'm czech and translation is very good". I guess Neuvirth really said all this or at least czech source made it sound like what we read.

Old
08-22-2012, 04:46 PM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
Even if McPhee ment to make OV more motivated and less influenced by enigmatic Semin... Im sure McPhee didn't want Neuvirth to remind OV about his not ideal work ethic.

That is a problem. For me at least.

Someone in the RMNB comments said that "i'm czech and translation is very good". I guess Neuvirth really said all this or at least czech source made it sound like what we read.
I am with you a 100% on this one OV motivation and work ethic are a problem.

Closed Thread