HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XV

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2012, 12:35 PM
Brave Sir Robin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
I'm sorry, but at his age, he could decline big time in year 2-3 of his contract. We don't want another Knuble situation.
What Knuble situation? Knuble was extended for 1 year 2mil. Woah, that really screwed us.

Old
06-28-2012, 12:35 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
If Doan is leaving Phoenix, I'd be willing to bet the farm it's for more than a 1 year deal.
That's what I'm saying. He won't be leaving Phoenix. He is involved in the community there and he has a huge ranch out there which he loves. I doubt he's going to move, or put himself in a situation where he has to move. I'd imagine he's going to treat the coming years like a white collar contract employee...living out of hotels/long term corporate housing.

Old
06-28-2012, 12:36 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Hunter's system was the problem. Let's see what Semin could do under a more offensive system and a decent center
Because Tippet runs the farking fun and gun!

Back to NBTW's point #1!

And Nicklas Backstrom isn't a decenter center??????

Old
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Hunter's system was the problem. Let's see what Semin could do under a more offensive system and a decent center
I guess you missed the introduction to Dave Tippett above?

Old
aquablue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
He's not leaving the area (not relocating his family), so I'd actually doubt it is more than a 1 year deal. The testing free agency is likely an attempt to get a Cup before he hangs up his skates.
Doan is probably very conservative. He probably won't like moving to what is considered ' the center of liberal American evil' at this time.

Old
06-28-2012, 12:38 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Doan is probably very conservative. He probably won't like moving to what is considered ' the center of liberal American evil' at this time.
I'll be sure to quote this post when he's playing in Los Angeles next season.

Old
06-28-2012, 12:38 PM
aquablue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Because Tippet runs the farking fun and gun!

Back to NBTW's point #1!

And Nicklas Backstrom isn't a decenter center??????
Semin has the ability to far surpass Doan's numbers in a decent offensive system, given his age and his skill set. Doan is on the decline due to age, Semin is on the decline due to mismanagement of his talent.

Old
06-28-2012, 12:39 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Semin has the ability to far surpass Doan's numbers in a decent offensive system, given his age and his skill set. Doan is on the decline due to age, Semin is on the decline due to mismanagement of his talent.
4 points in 14 games with Nicklas Backstrom.

Old
06-28-2012, 12:40 PM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

vCash: 2714
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
I think this is pretty important to note. A lot of people claim McPhee lies. I've never seen him do it.
Just last week, he stated that there were no trades on the horizon, or something to that effect. Of course right before the Ribeiro trade, which I would almost guarantee did not materialize overnight. Dallas had eyes on Eakin for sometime. As usual, we cannot prove anything conclusively.

Did anyone else hear that?

Playing tight to the vest as he does, I have found it's more accurate to believe the exact opposite of what he states publicly.

I believe after the draft, he stated that the free agent market looks thin, and implied trades are more likely. I think he may have also recently implied the lineup was all set. He speaks so vaguely, its tough to even know what he meant.

Did anyone else hear that, and would you be willing to wager against him inking a free agent?

He SAID that his coaching search may extend into August. Think opposite came through again.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 06-28-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old
06-28-2012, 12:40 PM
aquablue

Quote:
4 points in 14 games with Nicklas Backstrom.
Under the dump 'n chase king

Also, Backstrom wasn't back to his full self in the play offs.

Old
06-28-2012, 12:42 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
I doubt he'd move to DC for a year. I have a feeling that he'd hate DC like Tim Thomas.

Old
06-28-2012, 12:42 PM
artilector

If we're talking about elite free agents, I can't for a second imagine that they take a look at EC teams and say, hmm, here's well-coached recent SC winner Pens team with two mega centers, and here's newly coached playoff-cursed Caps team, I want to go to the Caps!!

I just don't see it, unless Caps overpay by a lot or give term to an aging player. Which would suck. Am I wrong?

Old
06-28-2012, 12:43 PM
aquablue

Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
If we're talking about elite free agents, I can't for a second imagine that they take a look at EC teams and say, hmm, here's well-coached recent SC winner Pens team with two mega centers, and here's newly coached playoff-cursed Caps team, I want to go to the Caps!!

I just don't see it, unless Caps overpay by a lot or give term to an aging player. Which would suck. Am I wrong?
Come on, who wants to live in ****tsburgh? Coming from the NY metro area (Parise) to there would be one hell of a culture shock.

Old
06-28-2012, 12:44 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Under the dump 'n chase king

Also, Backstrom wasn't back to his full self in the play offs.
Backstrom was a physical beast. And given the exact same opportunities as Semin, he doubled his production. So what's Semin's excuse for not keeping pace with a "hobbled" Backstrom.

Old
06-28-2012, 12:45 PM
discobob

Quote:
I do find it funny that Crosby with an agent got 8.7 per long term, while Ovi, with his mom, got 9.5. Caps need to outsource negotiations with their own players, lol.
Here's to wishing that they had added another two lower dollar years on the end of OV's contract

Old
aquablue

Quote:
Backstrom was a physical beast. And given the exact same opportunities as Semin, he doubled his production. So what's Semin's excuse for not keeping pace with a "hobbled" Backstrom.
Probably spite. Why should be play full out for a coach that didn't value him? Everyone knows how proud Russians are. Backstrom was still rusty, I maintain my position. His passing was all over the place, not vey Backstrom like.

Old
artilector

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Just last week, he stated that there were no trades on the horizon, or something to that effect. Of course right before the Ribeiro trade, which I would almost guarantee did not materialize overnight. As usual, we cannot prove anything conclusively.

Did anyone else hear that?

Playing tight to the vest as he does, I have found it's more accurate to believe the exact opposite of what he states publicly.

I believe after the draft, he stated that the free agent market looks thin, and implied trades are more likely. I think he may have implied the lineup was all set? he speaks so vaguely, its tough to even remember sometimes.

Anyone want to wager against him inking a free agent?
Not at all, but I would wager against him inking the likes of Parise, Doan, Suter.

He'll get a guy that will cause a collective shrug, which is to be expected, 'cause the pickings are slim.

Old
06-28-2012, 12:47 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Probably spite. Why should be play full out for a coach that didn't value him? Everyone knows how proud Russians are. Backstrom was still rusty, I maintain my position. His passing was all over the place, not vey Backstrom like.

Old
06-28-2012, 12:48 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Probably spite. Why should be play full out for a coach that didn't value him? Everyone knows how proud Russians are. Backstrom was still rusty, I maintain my position.
So he tanks his play if he doesn't like the system/his role? All the more reason to get rid of him.

Old
aquablue

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
Perhaps you should get a job as a comic?

Old
artilector

Quote:
Come on, who wants to live in ****tsburgh? Coming from the NY metro area (Parise) to there would be one hell of a culture shock.
Umm.. players that want to win would be one way to put it. You think Parise having just lost in SC finals looks at a potential destination and says "hmm, great team, but nightlife is only 6/10, I think I'll pass"? lol

Old
06-28-2012, 12:49 PM
aquablue

Quote:
Umm.. players that want to win would be one way to put it. You think Parise having just lost in SC finals looks at a potential destination and says "hmm, great team, but nightlife is only 6/10, I think I'll pass"? lol
No, but the quality of life for his family perhaps? Do you think his wife is going to like shopping at a mall vs 5th avenue?

Old
06-28-2012, 12:50 PM
artilector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setting up the play View Post
Here's to wishing that they had added another two lower dollar years on the end of OV's contract
I remember I almost fell off my chair when i read Leonsis's comment saying basically "we didn't know one could do that" in reference to these long cap-circumventing contracts.

Old
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Perhaps you should get a job as a comic?
I should, as long as no one expects me to be as funny as you.

Old
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
You're underselling non-hockey factors quite a bit. There's a reason teams put together information packets for prospective free agents. They want to know about the local quality of life, school system, taxes, etc.

And Pittsburgh's no closer to a Cup than the Caps. They just had the worst defensive performance in a playoff series ever, and their defense is worse right now.

Closed Thread