HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XV

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2012, 12:51 PM
aquablue

vCash: 500
No really, I thought kermit and all that were for kids. At least I talk hockey, you just post pictures that are supposed to make kids laugh. Also, I'm not lazy enough to respond to someone with a silly little picture.

Old
06-28-2012, 12:54 PM
um

caps fans are the weirdest fans ever, lets see whats going on on the leafs board

Old
06-28-2012, 12:54 PM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Hate to break it to you, but we don't have Jonathan Quick or the Kings' defense.
True - don't have Wideman anymore either.

Old
06-28-2012, 12:56 PM
artilector

The reality is that quality of life for millionaires is remarkably consistent, and I think there are very few teams that have trouble attracting free agents because of locale. Some players may not like big cities/pressure, some players may not like being way up in the boondocks, but that's about it. I doubt very much that Pittsburgh has any sort of negative influence on players decisions.

Old
06-28-2012, 12:57 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
No really, I thought kermit and all that were for kids. At least I talk hockey, you just post pictures that are supposed to make kids laugh. Also, I'm not lazy enough to respond to someone with a silly little picture.

I think the quality of our last few posts is about the same.

Old
06-28-2012, 12:58 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
The reality is that quality of life for millionaires is remarkably consistent, and I think there are very few teams that have trouble attracting free agents because of locale. Some players may not like big cities/pressure, some players may not like being way up in the boondocks, but that's about it. I doubt very much that Pittsburgh has any sort of negative influence on players decisions.
Speaking as a heterosexual single man, I would definitely be turned off by Pittsburgh. I prefer women who have teeth.

Old
06-28-2012, 12:58 PM
aquablue

LIfe is short, why would a rich guy like Parise want to waste it in the rust belt when he can go anywhere? It's not as if you can just hand them the cup. This guy is used to playing in what is one of of the greatest cities in the world (well adjacent to it). I have been to Pittsburgh. It is nothing compared to NYC and it's in a terrible location compared to DC.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:00 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
caps fans are the weirdest fans ever, lets see whats going on on the leafs board
You serious? Stuff like this is the best on this board.
I love the entertainment.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:03 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
You serious? Stuff like this is the best on this board.
I love the entertainment.
Seriously, this kind of stuff is why I never put people on ignore. Can't-miss!

How many days until Sunday?

Old
06-28-2012, 01:06 PM
aquablue

I get that people think that I'm talking nonsense, but really, if you don't believe that location has any involvement, you're insane! Crosby going to Pittsburgh from a small town is different from going from NYC to somewhere else.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:08 PM
artilector

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
You're underselling non-hockey factors quite a bit. There's a reason teams put together information packets for prospective free agents. They want to know about the local quality of life, school system, taxes, etc.

And Pittsburgh's no closer to a Cup than the Caps. They just had the worst defensive performance in a playoff series ever, and their defense is worse right now.
Information packets?! Well, I guess interns need some work to do, too

I just think effect of variation between areas like NJ, DC and Pitt would be minute compared to everything else, for most players. I mean if a player is known to have particular ties/preference to an area, fine, it's a factor, but randomly saying that Parise may not want to switch the paradise that is New Jersey to the hell-hole that is Pittsburgh... facepalm.

As far as being equally close to the Cup, I doubt players feel that way. Fwiw, I don't feel that way.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:08 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
He's not leaving the area (not relocating his family), so I'd actually doubt it is more than a 1 year deal. The testing free agency is likely an attempt to get a Cup before he hangs up his skates.
So you're saying he's retiring after next season.....hmm..ok. I doubt that.

I bet he signs for minimum a 2 year deal.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:11 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

aquablue was the guy who was suggesting Jagr a year or so ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Big View Post
Really? "Smoked for a critical playoff goal?" When?
The goal with 6.6s in game 5 against New York for one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
FLA puts Mike Santorelli on waivers; FLA puts Matt Bradley on unconditional ($125) waivers, presumably for buyout/termination of contract.

We could use a bleeder
I'd take Brads back for that 4RW spot. He'd be much cheaper than Tootoo and his game isn't all that different considering Tootoo has cut down on the "pest" stuff in recent years.

Quote:
I'm sorry, but at his age, he could decline big time in year 2-3 of his contract. We don't want another Knuble situation.
You do realize Knuble scored 53 goals in his first two seasons in DC, right? Even counting last season, Knuble averaged 20 goals a season in a Caps uniform.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:11 PM
artilector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Speaking as a heterosexual single man, I would definitely be turned off by Pittsburgh. I prefer women who have teeth.

Haha, what exactly are you trying to say about Pens' players here?!

Old
06-28-2012, 01:12 PM
aquablue

Quote:

I just think effect of variation between areas like NJ, DC and Pitt would be minute compared to everything else, for most players. I mean if a player is known to have particular ties/preference to an area, fine, it's a factor, but randomly saying that Parise may not want to switch the paradise that is New Jersey to the hell-hole that is Pittsburgh... facepalm.

As far as being equally close to the Cup, I doubt players feel that way. Fwiw, I don't feel that way.
NJ has some of the most beautiful and wealthy suburbs in the US, and it is only a hop from NYC, basically 1 metro area (trains, path, etc). It is not NJ vs Pit, it is NY metro area vs Pit. Unless he hates big cities, he might have a hard time adjusting to downtown pitt or the local mall vs the international mega-hub that is NYC. I highly doubt he ends up in Pitt. I can see Rangers or DC, perhaps Philly or his home town, but not Pitt.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:15 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Probably spite. Why should be play full out for a coach that didn't value him? Everyone knows how proud Russians are. Backstrom was still rusty, I maintain my position. His passing was all over the place, not vey Backstrom like.
LOL...if that's the case, then all the more reason to jettison him for a guy who actually wants to be here and play like a teammate.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:16 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:

Alright I'm done trolling.

I agree that Pittsburgh is probably perceived as closer to a Cup than the Capitals. Parise's comments about Oates were pretty strong though. It's impossible to know his thought process, but I do think Oates could be a factor that sways him towards Washington if the offers are all about the same. I don't think they're going to make him a serious offer though.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:19 PM
artilector

Quote:
NJ has some of the most beautiful and wealthy suburbs in the US, and it is only a hop from NYC, basically 1 metro area (trains, path, etc). It is not NJ vs Pit, it is NY metro area vs Pit. Unless he hates big cities, he might have a hard time adjusting to downtown pitt or the local mall vs the international mega-hub that is NYC. I highly doubt he ends up in Pitt. I can see Rangers or DC, perhaps Philly or his home town, but not Pitt.
Well.. in the end, let's hope you're right. I'd wager $50 against $10 that he chooses Pens over Caps, though.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:21 PM
aquablue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
LOL...if that's the case, then all the more reason to jettison him for a guy who actually wants to be here and play like a teammate.
Come on, he's human and has an ego. Do you think these guys are robots? I'm not willing to cut off my nose to spite my face.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:22 PM
aquablue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
aquablue was the guy who was suggesting Jagr a year or so ago...

The goal with 6.6s in game 5 against New York for one.

I'd take Brads back for that 4RW spot. He'd be much cheaper than Tootoo and his game isn't all that different considering Tootoo has cut down on the "pest" stuff in recent years.

You do realize Knuble scored 53 goals in his first two seasons in DC, right? Even counting last season, Knuble averaged 20 goals a season in a Caps uniform.
Jagr played well enough this year. I am not into grudges, so I don't see how it would have worked out terribly. I agree though that Ted doesn't feel the same way I presume

Old
06-28-2012, 01:25 PM
artilector

Quote:
Jagr played well enough this year. I am not into grudges, so I don't see how it would have worked out terribly. I agree though that Ted doesn't feel the same way I presume
Caps are saving Jagr for later, when they need a new head coach.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:35 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Come on, he's human and has an ego. Do you think these guys are robots? I'm not willing to cut off my nose to spite my face.
If he's playing down because he's pissed, he's worse than even his critics believed.

Also, heading into free agency, about the most moronic thing he could do given the drop in production.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:56 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
So you're saying he's retiring after next season.....hmm..ok. I doubt that.

I bet he signs for minimum a 2 year deal.
No, I'm not saying that. I'm saying that he's not going to commit to any non-Phoenix market long term.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:57 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:

Packets, DVDs, etc., yes. Teams do send that information to free agents that aren't familiar with the market.

Old
06-28-2012, 03:02 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
No, I'm not saying that. I'm saying that he's not going to commit to any non-Phoenix market long term.
So nothing more than a 1 year deal? We'll see I guess. I expect a 2 year deal, maybe more depending on suitors.

Closed Thread