HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The Calgary Flames Great Debate

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-27-2012, 08:56 PM
  #26
Brewster
Registered User
 
Brewster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 858
vCash: 500
If the Flames have seven 20 goal scorers, five forwards with 50+ points and get >20 points from every player on their back end next season, I will gladly eat my hat. Those are gross over expectations.

Brewster is offline  
Old
06-27-2012, 08:57 PM
  #27
TheJudge
Registered User
 
TheJudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 788
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
The Flames will be a lottery team yet again. Their bottom six forwards are unproven and they have one of the weakest sets of centers in the league.


The flames have never been a lottery team for the first overall pick.

Not once in franchise history.

TheJudge is offline  
Old
06-27-2012, 08:59 PM
  #28
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 30,799
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
You clearly don't know what that is.
Learn the rules.
http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=63088
Quote:
The Scotiabank NHL Draft Lottery is a weighted system to determine the order of selection for the first 14 picks of the Draft.
They'll certainly be a bottom 14 team yet again. You're kidding yourself if you think otherwise with that abysmal roster that the Flames plan to ice.

Ziggy Stardust is offline  
Old
06-27-2012, 09:00 PM
  #29
BostonAJ
Registered User
 
BostonAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Southie
Country: United States
Posts: 2,559
vCash: 500
I believe JBo is incapable of leading a good defense. Guy's got all the talent in the world, and that's it. Pisses me off when I see him give up on plays.

The second line needs a bump, too. It doesn't suck, but it's not good enough.

BostonAJ is offline  
Old
06-27-2012, 09:00 PM
  #30
The Gourmet
Potage Le Magnifique
 
The Gourmet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Country: Poland
Posts: 3,781
vCash: 500
If the Flames hit your projections they'll be a cup contender.

The Gourmet is offline  
Old
06-27-2012, 09:02 PM
  #31
tmurfin
500g1000pts
 
tmurfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,290
vCash: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
So the Flames are going to go from 199 goals this past season...to 260 goals next. And even in your "Well, with injuries..." prediction, you have them jumping 30 goals for no apparent reason.
We were missing half our top 6 for a few months last year, not to mention Sutters bipolar coaching. We will have a full season of Cammy and Wideman, that should add 20-30 goals easily, and Hartley plans on implementing a very offensive system

tmurfin is offline  
Old
06-27-2012, 09:02 PM
  #32
Leaf For Life
Registered User
 
Leaf For Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 305
vCash: 500
Your expectations are very unreasonable. The flames will be lucky to get over 220 goals this year.
Only three teams last year got over 260 goals they were:
Boston
Pittsburgh
Philadelphia
So the chances of the flames scoring that many goals not likely. But, if the flames do manage to score that many goals they'll surely make the playoffs.

Leaf For Life is offline  
Old
06-27-2012, 09:03 PM
  #33
SickHandsNoShot
Registered User
 
SickHandsNoShot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredMan View Post
My mistake, HF's mobile version messed the formatting of your post.

Go on, though. Explain how the addition of Bartschi and the fearsome Roman Cervanka will boost Calgary's offense by 60 goals.
You really dont think a boost in goals could occure when Roman Horak and Matt Stajan are replaced by Baertschi and Cervanka?

A full year of Cammi, GlenX, and Tanguay (Injuries to the 2nd 2.) As well as a stronger powerplay with Wideman...

I can see a marked improvement?

Go on, tell me how they get worse.

SickHandsNoShot is offline  
Old
06-27-2012, 09:04 PM
  #34
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13
 
No Fun Shogun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 24,452
vCash: 214
As of right now, I think that the Flames will finish 11th in the West.

No Fun Shogun is offline  
Old
06-27-2012, 09:05 PM
  #35
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office
 
WingedWheel1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: GPP Michigan
Posts: 8,060
vCash: 500
9th place already has the seat warmed up for the Flames again. The roster just isnt that good to warrant keeping it mostly intact. Trade Iginla while he still has value and any other contracts that can give you anything of value. Flames arent one or two or players away from contending. Feaster is on crack.

WingedWheel1987 is online now  
Old
06-27-2012, 09:07 PM
  #36
SickHandsNoShot
Registered User
 
SickHandsNoShot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 304
vCash: 500
Did everyone just look at the numbers beside the player names and then post........... There was more after and before it folks. I never once said that all the players will hit those projections.

SickHandsNoShot is offline  
Old
06-27-2012, 09:09 PM
  #37
WJG
Running and Rioting
 
WJG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Ireland
Posts: 12,725
vCash: 500
IMO, no team ever truly needs to "rebuild" as long as they are strong at drafting. However, Calgary doesn't draft very well, with the exception of Baertschi.

WJG is offline  
Old
06-27-2012, 09:10 PM
  #38
SickHandsNoShot
Registered User
 
SickHandsNoShot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster View Post
If the Flames have seven 20 goal scorers, five forwards with 50+ points and get >20 points from every player on their back end next season, I will gladly eat my hat. Those are gross over expectations.
Why is that so hard to believe. They nearly had 4 50 point players last season(2 players missed by 2 points), and had a brutal Power play.

As I said before, just because I believe these players are capable of hitting 20 does not mean that I believe all will hit. Tell me one of those players can't hit 20?

SickHandsNoShot is offline  
Old
06-27-2012, 09:10 PM
  #39
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,823
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
IMO, no team ever truly needs to "rebuild" as long as they are strong at drafting. However, Calgary doesn't draft very well, with the exception of Baertschi.
We just revamped our scouting department Baertschi was the first pick they made.

TheHudlinator is offline  
Old
06-27-2012, 09:11 PM
  #40
sens2k9
Registered User
 
sens2k9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,015
vCash: 500
My favorite part of your argument is that this year was a horrible year but only because of injuries.
So I guess next year, they'll magically have no injuries at all, and therefore your projections are fine.

If you take a quick peek at nhl.com and count the total number of players in the league to score over 20 goals last year, there were 101. Thats an average of just over 3 per team. You've predicted that your team will have double that.

And sorry, Wideman + Cammi = 20-40 more goals??? Really?

sens2k9 is offline  
Old
06-27-2012, 09:12 PM
  #41
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 30,799
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJudge View Post
The irony in this post is quite staggering. Resorting to personal attacks while calling the other poster a child

I realize that as an older gentleman you may not be "up" on current lingo, so I will assist you.

A "lottery team", as used in current hockey phraseology, is a team in the running for the first overall pick. It has nothing to do with having a ball in the draft lottery.
The Flames having an opportunity to move up in their draft position constitutes them as being a lottery team. Your nonsensical definition of one is just your opinion.

Come to think of it, the Flames being in contention for the #1 pick would probably be the best thing to look forward to.

Ziggy Stardust is offline  
Old
06-27-2012, 09:13 PM
  #42
Evgeni Orzabal*
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 87
vCash: 500
Mark Jankowski will lead the Flames to Stanley Cup greatness in 12-13...you can bet on it!

Evgeni Orzabal* is offline  
Old
06-27-2012, 09:13 PM
  #43
ddawg1950
Registered User
 
ddawg1950's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,515
vCash: 500
Time to pull out Einstein's definition of insanity.

ddawg1950 is online now  
Old
06-27-2012, 09:17 PM
  #44
danishh
Dat Stache
 
danishh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: mtl/ott/somewhere
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,654
vCash: 50
the calgary flames right now are the post lockout leafs.

It's just a matter of time and everyone can see it coming. There will be a crash, and if ownership and management dont plan for it, it will last just as long.

__________________
RIP Kev.
danishh is offline  
Old
06-27-2012, 09:17 PM
  #45
SickHandsNoShot
Registered User
 
SickHandsNoShot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sens2k9 View Post
My favorite part of your argument is that this year was a horrible year but only because of injuries.
So I guess next year, they'll magically have no injuries at all, and therefore your projections are fine.

If you take a quick peek at nhl.com and count the total number of players in the league to score over 20 goals last year, there were 101. Thats an average of just over 3 per team. You've predicted that your team will have double that.

And sorry, Wideman + Cammi + Baertschi + Cervanka = 20-40 more goals??? Really?
^^^^ Fixed ^^^^

Yes, how dare I.

Also to the injury part: Calgary Flames; Man games lost: 401.
Highest in the NHL.

So yes, I do expect that to drop.

SickHandsNoShot is offline  
Old
06-27-2012, 09:17 PM
  #46
TheJudge
Registered User
 
TheJudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 788
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
The Flames having an opportunity to move up in their draft position constitutes them as being a lottery team. Your nonsensical definition of one is just the opinion of the majority of knowledgeable hockey fans
Fixed.

Quote:
Come to think of it, the Flames being in contention for the #1 pick would probably be the best thing to look forward to.
You're a hockey fan who looks forward to being at the bottom of league standings? Yikes.

I like watching the team I cheer for try to compete. To each his own I guess.

TheJudge is offline  
Old
06-27-2012, 09:18 PM
  #47
oilersfan11
Registered User
 
oilersfan11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 11,190
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
As of right now, I think that the Flames will finish 11th in the West.

I'll say 9th.


It seems like Calgary finishes 9th more than any other team.

oilersfan11 is offline  
Old
06-27-2012, 09:22 PM
  #48
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn
 
Modo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Etobicoke
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,018
vCash: 50
Closed, because y'all just can't seem to get along.

__________________
If you're telekinetic and you know it, clap my hands!
Modo is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:12 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.