Guillaume Latendresse Deux - Signed with Sens

Old
06-28-2012, 01:09 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
Strange how the Wild are suddenly a crappy team again when people were so high after the draft. If Lats is the "make it or break it" piece to this team, then we are worse off than I ever imagined. And I say that as someone who knows that we could use any goals he provides.
With my expectation of Lats playing very few games if we re-signed him... I was still calling the Wild a playoff team RIGHT NOW before Free Agency even began. I was saying that for the past two weeks. This changes nothing. The Wild are a playoff team without Lats.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 01:11 AM
NHL1674
Whatever...

vCash: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
With my expectation of Lats playing very few games if we re-signed him... I was still calling the Wild a playoff team RIGHT NOW before Free Agency even began. I was saying that for the past two weeks. This changes nothing. The Wild are a playoff team without Lats.
And without Butch? Because he's this close to done.

NHL1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 01:13 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Oh really? How does not re-signing Lats get us any closer to this winning you speak of?
Did I say this ONE move gets us CLOSER to winning? Or did I say this ONE move shows a COMMITMENT to winning whether the fans like the move or not?

I say it shows the latter, as Fletcher is willing to make tough decisions that the fans are clearly UNWILLING to make.

It's the tough decisions that get the job done in the NHL, not the easy ones. Otherwise anyone could be a GM.

Now, this move COMBINED with others can get us closer, but rarely does ONE move get you closer at all. It's the series of moves that makes things happen, just as in a game of Chess. Sacrifices HAVE to be made.

Quote:
And without Butch? Because he's this close to done.
You know I have as little faith in Bouchard's ability to stay healthy as you do. That made re-signing Lats even MORE risky in my book, and that's why I would only take him on a lesser deal.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:13 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

vCash: 500
Quote:
LOL! So a bunch of unproven prospects suddenly means we have amazing depth?
No. It's a start and after last year's worst-case scenario where Minnesota lost over 300 man games and everyone in their top-6 besides Heatley (who also needed surgery at the end of the season), they will have players who can be versatile and better fill in the top-6 compared to it basically being Brodziak and career AHLers. There are still other issues with it and health is of the upmost importance for any Wild playoff run next season. However, it's still better than last year.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 01:16 AM
MNState0fHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpRedDawn View Post
I'll obviously still support the Wild, but I do see where he is coming from. To me, it just shows a lack a commitment to winning. A small gamble and investment for a huge payoff..... it just seems like a really cheap and gutless movie to lose a guy over such a small amount of money.
So, they are talking about shelling out stupid money to get Parise, and you think GMCF and ownership are cheap? If Lats leaves, it will have nothing to do with being cheap and everything to do with the fact that the Wild aren't confident he can stay healthy. Disagree with that reasoning if you'd like, but I don't think it's fair to call them cheap.

MNState0fHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 01:18 AM
ShutDownDefense
Wild Time!

Isn't he an RFA though? Meaning if we throw him a qualifying offer, we still retain his rights and if he gets an offer from another team they have to compensate us? Doesn't it work that way?

ShutDownDefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 01:18 AM
OpRedDawn*

vCash: 127
Quote:
Why would you think Lats would play very few games? Do you think he runs the risk of being illegally hit in the head more than other players?

It just boggles my mind how the team states that they want to add NHL talent to the roster this year, and yet people are happy about letting go a guy because he was hit illegally and injured. And, these are probably the same people who make Parise the highest paid player in the league for the next 10 years....

But, if we're already that good that we don't need Lats, I can't wait until we reach the conference finals this year. I'm gonna be looking at you people who said to get rid of Lats when we have another piss poor year and are the most boring team in the NHL for the 3rd straight year.

OpRedDawn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 01:19 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDownDefense View Post
Isn't he an RFA though? Meaning if we throw him a qualifying offer, we still retain his rights and if he gets an offer from another team they have to compensate us? Doesn't it work that way?
The deadline for the QO's have passed... Lats didn't get one.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:19 AM
NHL1674
Whatever...

Quote:
Deadline for qualifying him has past.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:20 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Why would you think Lats would play very few games? Do you think he runs the risk of being illegally hit in the head more than other players?

It just boggles my mind how the team states that they want to add NHL talent to the roster this year, and yet people are happy about letting go a guy because he was hit illegally and injured. And, these are probably the same people who make Parise the highest paid player in the league for the next 10 years....

But, if we're already that good that we don't need Lats, I can't wait until we reach the conference finals this year. I'm gonna be looking at you people who said to get rid of Lats when we have another piss poor year and are the most boring team in the NHL for the 3rd straight year.
27 games over 2 years leaves my confidence in the guy waining. I don't care if it's a concussion or a groin or a shoulder... the guy has barely played.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:20 AM
OpRedDawn*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNState0fHockey View Post
So, they are talking about shelling out stupid money to get Parise, and you think GMCF and ownership are cheap? If Lats leaves, it will have nothing to do with being cheap and everything to do with the fact that the Wild aren't confident he can stay healthy. Disagree with that reasoning if you'd like, but I don't think it's fair to call them cheap.
It is cheap. Talking about 80 million dollar deals is one thing, until they actually spend the money, they are cheap. The salary with the incentives would've been close the QO anyways, and the team needs scoring. We can't rely on the hopes and dreams of overpaying Parise for 10 years and him pulling a Mauer.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:22 AM
MNState0fHockey

Quote:

I don't think anyone is happy to see Lats go. I don't think anyone would be opposed to seeing him back for the right price. The Wild clearly aren't confident that he is, or can stay, healthy.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:22 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
It is cheap. Talking about 80 million dollar deals is one thing, until they actually spend the money, they are cheap. The salary with the incentives would've been close the QO anyways, and the team needs scoring. We can't rely on the hopes and dreams of overpaying Parise for 10 years and him pulling a Mauer.
You say it's cheap... I say it's a smart GM move. That's why Fletcher is a GM and you are not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNState0fHockey View Post
I don't think anyone is happy to see Lats go. I don't think anyone would be opposed to seeing him back for the right price. The Wild clearly aren't confident that he is, or can stay, healthy.
QFT!

Old
06-28-2012, 01:24 AM
ShutDownDefense
Wild Time!

Quote:
Deadline for qualifying him has past.
Dammit.......just give him the deal he wants or an extra 500k whatever the difference is, I just want one more year out of him to see what he can do. The guy's worth it.

What's the positions of Fletch and Lats right now? Any info from Russo?

ShutDownDefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 01:26 AM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Dammit.......just give him the deal he wants or an extra 500k whatever the difference is, I just want one more year out of him to see what he can do. The guy's worth it.

Just check the last pages of the previous thread.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MNState0fHockey

Quote:
I respectfully disagree. Not saying we should pin our hopes on signing Parise. That wasn't the point I was making. The Wild have shown a willingness to spend to make this team better. The fact they aren't willing to spend money on one guy, whom they obviously aren't confident is or can stay healthy, doesn't disprove that. Disagree with the move if you want. I don't 100% understand it either. But I don't think it's fair to start calling the Wild cheap.

Old
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:

Like I said earlier... I think Lats is actually hoping he can get a 2-3yr offer as a UFA. A player with his injury history, guaranteed money for multiple years is very appealing. He knows if he has another year like the past two... his next contract would be even smaller.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:30 AM
NHL1674
Whatever...

Quote:

People also have to remember that we don't know what Lats is asking for. It may not be just a 500k difference. It may be something a lot more risky either in price or years.

Old
J22

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
See the other response. It seems you severely misunderstand the concept. It's not a question of who has a better top 6, it's a question of who has the best ability to replace those players in their lineup. To use Pittsburgh as an example: If Neal goes down, he's replaced by whom? Tangradi and his 40 NHL games?
You win. If you exclude the players that are actually in the top 6, the Wild clearly are among the best in the NHL for top 6 depth.

BTW- Tangradi's 40 games are about 25 more than the combined games of Palmer, Macintyre, Zucker, Coyle, Larsson

J22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
OpRedDawn*

Quote:
You say it's cheap... I say it's a smart GM move. That's why Fletcher is a GM and you are not.
Because GM's never make mistakes... Yeah that Barker / Leddy trade was obviously genius. We hated it, but hey, that's why he's the GM right? herp derp.

After his groin injury, he was completely healthy. He was hit illegally which ruined his season. Getting boarded like that could happen to any of our damn players.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:32 AM
J22

Quote:
People also have to remember that we don't know what Lats is asking for. It may not be just a 500k difference. It may be something a lot more risky either in price or years.
But thats the point of the whole argument, RFA's dont have much leverage. 2.5 for one year was the ceiling.

J22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 01:32 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

"We're looking to add NHL talent to our roster"

What a joke of a quote that was. More like "We're gonna give away NHL talent from our roster for nothing". I'll go ballistic if we let go of both Lats and Kassian.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 01:34 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
No. It's a start and after last year's worst-case scenario where Minnesota lost over 300 man games and everyone in their top-6 besides Heatley (who also needed surgery at the end of the season), they will have players who can be versatile and better fill in the top-6 compared to it basically being Brodziak and career AHLers. There are still other issues with it and health is of the upmost importance for any Wild playoff run next season. However, it's still better than last year.
Over 400 actually.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Because GM's never make mistakes... Yeah that Barker / Leddy trade was obviously genius. We hated it, but hey, that's why he's the GM right? herp derp.

After his groin injury, he was completely healthy. He was hit illegally which ruined his season. Getting boarded like that could happen to any of our damn players.
I never said GM's are perfect either. I griped about the Barker trade along with everyone else. I also said I hope it doesn't make Fletcher gun-shy from that mistake though. I want a GM who can make tough choices.

I happen to agree with this tough choice. I applaud Fletcher for not flinching in the face of the mistake that was Barker, and in the mistake that was the hiring of Todd Richards, and being willing to stick to what he believes in hiring Yeo, and now in tough negotiating Lats.

If Fletcher ever starts to get gun-shy with these things, I will not like him as a GM NEARLY as much! Don't be afraid of mistakes... learn from them. Keep making the tough choices though!

In the end, you're willing to overlook one injury vs the other... I've never been willing to do that... and obviously neither is Fletcher in this case.

Old
NHL1674
Whatever...

Quote:
"We're looking to add NHL talent to our roster"

What a joke of a quote that was. More like "We're gonna give away NHL talent from our roster for nothing". I'll go ballistic if we let go of both Lats and Kassian.
We aren't even at July 1st yet! Not only that, but there is a lot of #@$! that can go down before the start of the season which is far away.

And I wouldn't count Lats in with the comment about letting NHL talent go for nothing. Yeah, he will walk this summer. But this is very different from past situations when they had the chance to trade a player, refused to, and then let him walk for nothing.