HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Could Plekanec be the one on the way out ?

Old
07-04-2012, 02:15 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Scuderia View Post
If they trade Plekanec, they would want an even better center in return. I see you call Plekanec soft in almost every of your posts but I never seen you call Eller or DD soft.. and let's face it, they are no grittier than Pleky.
Less gritty, even, and the proof is in the roles/minutes they have been asked to play.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 02:54 AM
Marksman

Plekanec is a big part of the core of this team, one of the last players that should be moved. I'll be surprised if he doesnt play his contract through with Habs.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 07:58 AM
Sawyer
Wheeeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Put him in a package deal to get Evander Kane.
So, you're great idea is to trade our all round centre, even though C is our weakest department, that excels on the second best PK in the league who scored more points on the PP and got 3 SHG's for a young left winger that doesn't play PK but his potential upside is bigger than Plekanec's
Although this does ensure us another top 5 pick, I'm not much in the mood for watching the team lose for another season.
There aren't too many guys in the league that does what Plek's does so it would take more to convince me that this trade is do-able. Plekanec's value to the team itself and in everything he does is too much to trade away and he was rewarded with his contract

Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 08:13 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman View Post
Plekanec is a big part of the core of this team, one of the last players that should be moved. I'll be surprised if he doesnt play his contract through with Habs.
That's only going to depend on how our other centers develop. If Eller and DD don't prove themselves capable of stepping up versus tougher opponents, then Plekanec won't be expendable. If they do though, with Gally also in the ranks and progressing, Plekanec might be a valuable asset to put on the market as the return would likely be interesting.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 08:18 AM
baldrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
I wouldn't laugh too hard because that's very well how it could end up.
What makes you think I'm laughing?

baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 08:22 AM
Sawyer
Wheeeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
That's only going to depend on how our other centers develop. If Eller and DD don't prove themselves capable of stepping up versus tougher opponents, then Plekanec won't be expendable. If they do though, with Gally also in the ranks and progressing, Plekanec might be a valuable asset to put on the market as the return would likely be interesting.
I see Desharnais getting traded before Plekanec ever does

Old
07-04-2012, 09:30 AM
MathMan

Plekanec is the team's best center and it's not particularly close. Without him DD doesn't get the nice offensive minutes against second-tier opposition he and his great wingers have used to rack up the points. Meanwhile Pleks has almost matched him offensively while taking a revolving door of second-rate wingers against the best the league has to offer, more often than not starting next to Price.

But hey, DD's got more points so he must be better right? I thought I was the one blinded by numbers.

If it weren't for him being a fantastic deal at his price point for one more year and the fact that it would generate riots, I'd suggest DD should actually be trade bait. He's certainly the closest the Habs have. His value is pretty inflated right now.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:47 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Plekanec is the team's best center and it's not particularly close. Without him DD doesn't get the nice offensive minutes against second-tier opposition he and his great wingers have used to rack up the points. Meanwhile Pleks has almost matched him offensively while taking a revolving door of second-rate wingers against the best the league has to offer, more often than not starting next to Price.

But hey, DD's got more points so he must be better right? I thought I was the one blinded by numbers.

If it weren't for him being a fantastic deal at his price point for one more year and the fact that it would generate riots, I'd suggest DD should actually be trade bait. He's certainly the closest the Habs have. His value is pretty inflated right now.
Agreed. And it is likely that Galchenyuk will be able to replace him in the role of offensively conscious center relatively quickly. It takes a longer time to develop a great 2 way center. Plekanec took 3-4 years at the very least.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:47 AM
Znthnk

Plekanec is a premiere third line centre. He has great value, but he's afraid of the boards, and offensively can't attract players towards him to create openings for his wingers since he fears getting hit. I find DD more creative, and more willing to get mowed down in order to make a play.

That said, few are as good as Pleky on the counterattack and penalty kill with his relentless forechecking. As far as I'm concerned, he's a premiere 2-3 line centre.

I often hear the well worn argument that only Pleks can play against the opposition top lines. Ever wonder why no one checks Pleky? Why is Pleky always the checker??

I would be willing to part with Pleky for a little less skill and more grit, as he tends to vanish in the playoffs. I would like to see him get traded along with some assets for Bobby Ryan, and have Galchenuk and Eller compete for the second line spot. If Bergevin truly wants to change the character of the team, I think he should seriously consider moving Plekanec BUT not give him away ala Ribeiro.

Edit: If Galchenuk is too green, I'd be willing to give Koivu another shot for a year as he also has more grit than Pleks despite his size.

Znthnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:56 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post

agreed...

though I'm skeptical that DD's value league-wide is anywhere close to what he's actually worth. HIs size, and his 1-strong season flanked by two big-bodied fwds likely cuts into his perceived value among league GM's.

it will be interesting to see who ends up either moved or moved from C if/when Gally shows he's ready... If habs brass gets a positive feeling that Gally is only 1-2 years away, then they need to be listening to all offers for the other 3, and we could end up in a situation where an offer for Pleks is so "loaded" that it makes sense to move him even though it will hurt us short-term.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:58 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I agree but like you said it depends, right now DD and Eller aren't close to Plekanec's all round game.

Unless the plan is to tank for a year or two that is.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:09 AM
Znthnk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
agreed...

though I'm skeptical that DD's value league-wide is anywhere close to what he's actually worth. HIs size, and his 1-strong season flanked by two big-bodied fwds likely cuts into his perceived value among league GM's.

I don't think Pleks trade value will ever be higher than it is now, especially for a team that's already pretty big who's having some trouble defensively. There's a reason why Buffalo traded Derek Roy for Ott. They are wise to the trend to get skilled gritty size when lacking.

Old
07-04-2012, 10:10 AM
Sawyer
Wheeeee

Premier....Third...Line...Centre
LOLOLOLOLOLOL
Yes he is but he's more like a premier second line centre and a passable top line centre
You don't get Selke votes by being afraid of going to the boards. It's not like Plekanec is a perimeter player, he knows when he plays timid and he's the first one to call himself out on it and will play grittier for the next while.

Old
07-04-2012, 10:10 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Znthnk View Post
Plekanec is a premiere third line centre. He has great value, but he's afraid of the boards, and offensively can't attract players towards him to create openings for his wingers since he fears getting hit. I find DD more creative, and more willing to get mowed down in order to make a play.

That said, few are as good as Pleky on the counterattack and penalty kill with his relentless forechecking. As far as I'm concerned, he's a premiere 2-3 line centre.

I often hear the well worn argument that only Pleks can play against the opposition top lines. Ever wonder why no one checks Pleky? Why is Pleky always the checker??

I would be willing to part with Pleky for a little less skill and more grit, as he tends to vanish in the playoffs. I would like to see him get traded along with some assets for Bobby Ryan, and have Galchenuk and Eller compete for the second line spot. If Bergevin truly wants to change the character of the team, I think he should seriously consider moving Plekanec BUT not give him away ala Ribeiro.

Edit: If Galchenuk is too green, I'd be willing to give Koivu another shot for a year as he also has more grit than Pleks despite his size.
Plekanec is not a 3rd line center in any way shape or form. How is trading Plekanec for Ryan getting more grit? Your whole post makes no sense.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:17 AM
NotProkofievian

Wait,

show of hands: who here thinks that Plekanec could be described by the modifier "untouchable"?

NotProkofievian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:18 AM
Znthnk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Premier....Third...Line...Centre
LOLOLOLOLOLOL
Yes he is but he's more like a premier second line centre and a passable top line centre
You don't get Selke votes by being afraid of going to the boards. It's not like Plekanec is a perimeter player, he knows when he plays timid and he's the first one to call himself out on it and will play grittier for the next while.
I said 2-3 rd depending on the team. For the habs, he's clearly a top 1-2 line centre.

Pleks is timid when first to the puck along the boards, yet relentless when second and checking the opponent. I find he rushes his passes when someone's approaching him. And a -15 hardly seems like a Selke candidate.

Old
07-04-2012, 10:24 AM
Znthnk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Wait,

show of hands: who here thinks that Plekanec could be described by the modifier "untouchable"?
I don't. If anything, I think his trade value will likely never be higher, and I'm convinced other teams are better fits at the moment. I don't think they should give him away.

According to capgeek, he has a "Modified no-trade clause", so it may not be easy to move him.

Old
07-04-2012, 10:25 AM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
I don't. If anything, I think his trade value will likely never be higher, and I'm convinced other teams are better fits at the moment. I don't think they should give him away.

According to capgeek, he has a "Modified no-trade clause", so it may not be easy to move him.
I'm primarily interested in which of your interlocutors think he's irreplaceable, as it would really help preface their opinions.

Old
07-04-2012, 10:27 AM
ReVeuF

Gomez need to leave WAY before Plekanec, if we have to get rid of an overpaid Center it is Gomez for sure first !

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:29 AM
Sawyer
Wheeeee

Quote:
I said 2-3 rd depending on the team. For the habs, he's clearly a top 1-2 line centre.

Pleks is timid when first to the puck along the boards, yet relentless when second and checking the opponent. I find he rushes his passes when someone's approaching him. And a -15 hardly seems like a Selke candidate.
He's a second line centre on almost any team in the league and a top line for teams like the Habs
The only time he ends up as a third line guy is when you ship him to Carolina, Pittsburgh, etc.
Whether you yourself agree in regards to his Selke voting is irrelevant as he did get a second place vote, three third place votes and a fourth place vote, his point totals surpassing Hossa, Talbot, Elias and Parise.

Old
07-04-2012, 10:30 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Why would his value "never be higher" when he is coming off his worst statistical season in 3 years and the team was crap last year?

Old
07-04-2012, 10:32 AM
NotProkofievian

So, not one of you thinks that Plekanec is "untouchable"? Good.

What does everyone think we should get for him on the trade market were we to trade him?

Old
07-04-2012, 10:35 AM
Sawyer
Wheeeee

Quote:

What does everyone think we should get for him on the trade market were we to trade him?
A lot of speculation on the trade board from other fanbases that assume he's crud because Montreal fans keep throwing him in proposals or we're all never satisfied with what we currently have and love to play fantasy GM (Which we all do)

Old
07-04-2012, 10:37 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:

with the roster we have now, trading him means finishing (close to) last again this year... NONE of Eller, Noke or DD can eat up the tough minutes Plekanec gets (while having 3rd and 4th liners as wingers), we'd be crushed by pretty much every team with a decent forward group...

and he isnt untouchable because he's an elite talent or anything, he's untouchable cause we're weak enough at C without him we'd be pretty much guaranteed to finish...

does anyone here really wants a 1/2 combo of Eller/DD (with one of them having bottom liners on the wings lol) when facing Staal/Staal(CAR), Crosby/Malkin, Flyers deep offense, Spezza, Bergeron/Seguin, OV/Backstrom, Stamkos, Richards/Gaborik, Tavares ????

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:38 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

He isn't untoucheable, but should only be traded if the offer is too good to say no. Like say Taylor Hall or Tyler Seguin.

Plekanec allowed Desharnais to have a big year last year by playing a ton of tough minutes. Trading him now would also accelerate the arrival of Galchenyuk and potentially derail his development. In order to move Plekanec before July 1st, it would have to be a ridiculous offer as his value will probably only go up.