HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Could Plekanec be the one on the way out ?

Old
07-15-2012, 07:48 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBuddy View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble FK, but not rumor mongers.

Yeah i know how it ruined Seguins career by Boston keeping him up.
Seguin has played wing most of his rookie year and played limited minutes. The Bruins didn't trade one of Krejci or Bergeron either. Seguin also didn't miss a full junior year to injury.

Desharnais can't play much more. Eller can play maybe 5? more minutes. It means Nokelainen, Gomez and Galchenyuk need to pick up Plekanec's extra-tough minutes.

Good luck winning games...

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 08:19 AM
MaxLacoste

I really love Plekanek, he's our best center. He will start the year in Montreal, but if the team is trailing at the trade deadline, he will go for draft picks.

MaxLacoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 08:47 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Seguin has played wing most of his rookie year and played limited minutes. The Bruins didn't trade one of Krejci or Bergeron either. Seguin also didn't miss a full junior year to injury.

Desharnais can't play much more. Eller can play maybe 5? more minutes. It means Nokelainen, Gomez and Galchenyuk need to pick up Plekanec's extra-tough minutes.

Good luck winning games...
I know because we have been doing wonderful at that winning thing already.

Geeez guys, stop being so attached. Let's make some moves to start winning. Pleks is another avg player. Time to move on.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 08:50 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLacoste View Post
I really love Plekanek, he's our best center. He will start the year in Montreal, but if the team is trailing at the trade deadline, he will go for draft picks.
This alone is very scary. What happened to the Montreal Canadiens when we are saying Pleks is our best center ? Ughhh. And by the way i have Desharnais ahead of him.

Pleks would be a 3rd line center on over 3/4's of the NHL teams.

Old
07-15-2012, 08:56 AM
Montreal Typical

Quote:

Plekanec was the 29th highest scoring centre last season and that was a poor season offensively for him. He's an excellent number two centre.

Montreal Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 09:00 AM
pine

vCash: 50
Quote:
This alone is very scary. What happened to the Montreal Canadiens when we are saying Pleks is our best center ? Ughhh. And by the way i have Desharnais ahead of him.

Is PatoQC your long lost brother or something? Or just the same person?

And Plekanec is more valuable to the Canadiens than Desharnais. If you think Desharnais could handle Plekanec's minutes, you are deluding yourself.

pine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 09:17 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
Is PatoQC your long lost brother or something? Or just the same person?

And Plekanec is more valuable to the Canadiens than Desharnais. If you think Desharnais could handle Plekanec's minutes, you are deluding yourself.
OK lets keep him, it worked out so very well so far.

And the insults are childish by the way.

Old
07-15-2012, 09:18 AM
MaxLacoste

Plekanek is very underrated, but I agree that we have to move on and trade him. I know it's hard to understand, but rebuilding around ours best assets (Price, Subban, Beaulieu, Tinordi, Gorges, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, DD, Eller, Pacioretty) his the best way to going back to cup contention. Add to that 2 impacts players from the draft and we're in business. Trading Plekanek and/or Markov could help us getting 1st rounders in 2013. There's a lot of high end talent in this draft, it worth the try.

MaxLacoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 09:30 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLacoste View Post
Plekanek is very underrated, but I agree that we have to move on and trade him. I know it's hard to understand, but rebuilding around ours best assets (Price, Subban, Beaulieu, Tinordi, Gorges, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, DD, Eller, Pacioretty) his the best way to going back to cup contention. Add to that 2 impacts players from the draft and we're in business. Trading Plekanek and/or Markov could help us getting 1st rounders in 2013. There's a lot of high end talent in this draft, it worth the try.
Bolded players can't be "built around" yet because they aren't even on the NHL roster (and half of those you listed are defenseman anyway). Once they are mainstays on the NHL roster, THEN maybe it's time to start thinking about Plekanec's role/future with the team, but not before, imo. And if I'm looking to make room "right away" for a top offensive rookie centre and put him in a role where he's allowed to make a few mistakes and develop his creativity, I'm giving him Desharnais' minutes; not Pleks' (i.e. trading Desharnais to make room, not Plekanec).

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 09:33 AM
pine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Bolded players can't be "built around" yet because they aren't even on the NHL roster (and half of those you listed are defenseman anyway). Once they are mainstays on the NHL roster, THEN maybe it's time to start thinking about Plekanec's role/future with the team, but not before, imo. And if I'm looking to make room "right away" for a top offensive rookie centre and put him in a role where he's allowed to make a few mistakes and develop his creativity, I'm giving him Desharnais' minutes; not Pleks' (i.e. trading Desharnais to make room, not Plekanec).
Agreed. Rushing Galchenyuk and then giving him Plekanec's minutes is a recipe for disaster. Plekanec is facing the top opposition night in and night out, getting also a majority of his starts in the defensive zone.

Quote:
OK lets keep him, it worked out so very well so far.

And the insults are childish by the way.
Oh alright then. Let's trade the whole team in that case, since they have worked out very well so far, together as a team having finished 15th.

PS: Hockey is a team sport.

pine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 01:26 PM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:

This post really shows your lack of knowledge in hockey in general.

Plekanec is 29th in points of all center in the NHL last season and let me tell you this cuz you obviously miss our last season but Plekanec played with 3rd/4th liners for about 70% of the time last season.. Still managed to get 52 pts, which put him 29th as centerman in the league. Sorry I have to repeat that to make sure you understand. If you think hes a 3rd line center he'd be between 61-90 but no BOTH of our center finished in the top 30. I personally think Plek and DD are good 2nd center but the fact that they're both placed in top 30 in the center position despite being last in the EC is quite remarkable, espescially Plekanec who did not play with a legitimate top 6 winger for 70% of the season while DD had the chance to play with 2 big 30 goals scorers.

Rosso Scuderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 01:29 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:

Geeez guys, stop being so attached. Let's make some moves to start winning. Pleks is another avg player. Time to move on.
Yeah lets trade Pacioretty as well. Look how things have been going since he's our first line left winger

Can't blame team results on a single player.

I understand the need to build around the so called young core of players, most of which are not even close to the NHL but every good team has a mix of veterans and young players. Plekanec is a trooper, he does what he's told and has always worked extra hard to reach the place were he is right now. He's not remotely old either, he's in a good spot in his career and can realistically be useful for years to come.

Keeping him is not about attachment, its about icing a competitive team.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 07:26 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Average player???

If he is an average player we should trade or acquire a puile more of those!

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 07:37 PM
KFlint

Quote:

Yeah sure

KFlint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 12:01 AM
Kue
Interviewing for GM

Quote:

Hate to burst your bubble, but Pleks was our best center in 2011, and 2010 as well. If you wanna play the correlation equals causation game, Desharnais wasn't around in 2010 and we got to round 3--closest we've been in over a decade! So clearly DD is the problem.

Kue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 12:19 AM
jwolf

I doubt very much if any of the centers - let alone Plekanec - will be dealt this year. By all accounts, Bergevin & Co. plan to be very patient in the restructuring of this team. At the C position, the only one that could shake things up is Galchenyuk. If he comes into camp and dominates, then and only then does this conversation become somewhat relavant. And that's a very big IF!

The way things stand at present - with the added grit - this is a more competitive team than it was last season and I get the feeling Bergevin sees that and is willing to wait until his colts turn into stallions before making bold moves.

Even if Gally shows that he's a stallion at 18yo, he still might start on the wing and wait for injuries. I don't think MB is willing to go all-in on his youth just yet... and I agree.

jwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 12:49 AM
Habsrback

Guys, Gomez was, at his peek, a 60-point center who bagged in 85 once...he is now a 40-point center, but that makes $$$ of a 100-point center, and takes up space in the dressing room of a 120-point center. This was a recipe for disaster, which materialized last year. He eiher gets bought out as a "free buyout priviledge" when the new CBA gets signed, or is dumped in the East Coast League. This will be addition through substraction.

As for the eternal optimists that think that his lack of performance was due to the system (which I also hate), I think that it is more the fact that Gomez had no more gaz left in his tank after 20 seconds of every shift...Vinny Damphousse had commented that on RDS mid-season last year and he was dead right. Enough said.

Habsrback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 12:58 AM
Habsrback

Fully agree for Pleks and might add that for Desharnais, he himself played with those two wingers for about 50 games, and Cole was not producing with the other centers. I would not trade Pleks unless it was in a package to obtain a marquis player.

Habsrback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 02:07 AM
gol
Rookie User

Galchenyuk will make the team in September/October. They didn't go through all of this trouble of losing, so they could take the 3rd overall pick, to send him back to junior, or the minors. He WILL be in. Therefore, someone HAS to go. Rick Nash, anyone? I wonder if Howson is contacted, and offered Carey Price, and Tomas Plekanec, as well as a few big, cap hit duds(the two pip-squeaks, Gomez, and Gionta), and a few others, if Howson would go to Rick Nash, and Steve Mason, to see how well they fit in Canadiens jersey's. Stay tuned.

gol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 02:47 AM
Corncob

Quote:
Sorry to burst your bubble FK, but not rumor mongers.

Yeah i know how it ruined Seguins career by Boston keeping him up.
Having a rookie come into a winning team where he can ease himself into the NHL by playing wing with sheltered minutes, be scratched a couple of times during the season, etc is not at all the same as relying on a rookie to be a top six centre for the whole season with lost of defensive duties in a team that ended the previous season as a mess with no back up plan.

You can see those aren't the same, right?

Corncob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 02:48 AM
Corncob

Quote:
Originally Posted by gol View Post
They didn't go through all of this trouble of losing, so they could take the 3rd overall pick, to send him back to junior, or the minors.
You seem to be under the impression that losing was somekind of plan?

Old
07-16-2012, 02:52 AM
gol
Rookie User

It sure as hell looked that way, to someone who saw all 8 or 9 pre-season games, and all 82 regular season games. Especially the last 20, or so. That is not the point though. The point is a #3 pick overall, is going to make the team. When picking that high, why would you pick someone who is not immediately ready. He WILL be in. Someone has to go.

gol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 03:08 AM
Corncob

Quote:
The point is a #3 pick overall, is going to make the team. When picking that high, why would you pick someone who is not immediately ready. He WILL be in. Someone has to go.
Jonathan Huberdeau
Erik Gudbranson
Matt Duchene
Zach Bogosian
Kyle Turris
Jonathan Toews
Jack Johnson

Post lock out number 3 picks. Bolded are the only ones that started in the NHL the next season. Bogosian only played 47 games due to injury.

Old
07-16-2012, 07:05 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
It sure as hell looked that way, to someone who saw all 8 or 9 pre-season games, and all 82 regular season games. Especially the last 20, or so. That is not the point though. The point is a #3 pick overall, is going to make the team. When picking that high, why would you pick someone who is not immediately ready. He WILL be in. Someone has to go.
I strongly doubt he'll be here. If he does really well, we might keep him for the 9first game so he can get a small taste, but then he'll be sent down.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 08:11 AM
S Bah

I think Plekanec is a great center not like Crosby but very similar to Jacques Lemaire when he played center in the 70's.Both play a two-way game that is so good they have n't any equal in the NHL.If Bergevin does trade Plekanec it would have to be a deal that gives the Habs another piece for our core group.Say Chicago were to trade for him, the trade would give them a very good chance of winning another Stanley Cup.The Habs GM should be asking for Teravainen and their 1st round pick for 2013 that's how special Plekanec is and playing behind Toews as 2nd center the Hawks would be difficult to beat.A prospect and a 1st round pick or a 1st and 2nd round pick in 2013.This would insure the players picked from 2012 & 2013 will be enough to make the Habs a contender by the 2014-2015 season and for many seasons after.Minnesota might have interest in Plekanec as well after the Parise/Suter signings they are close to winning it all also.IMO centers such as Plekanec,Lemaire,Butch Goring the top notch two-way center Pavel Datsyuk with Detroit may be harder to come by than most pieces other than goalie for teams with their eyes on the prize.So trading Plekanec may come back to haunt the Habs in 3-4 yrs.unless the return is valued too.

Last edited by S Bah: 07-16-2012 at 08:29 AM.
S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote