HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBA Negotiations

Closed Thread

Old
09-28-2012, 08:31 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by usahockey22flyers View Post
I have a weird feeling a deal is going to get done.
There is no doubt in my mind a deal will get done. However,"When" is the key word here. I hope that the two sides in the NFL have showed the two sides in the NHL that you can hammer out an agreement fairly quickly. But the two sides need to sit their butts down together period! This BS where they do not talk for weeks on end will just not work. I have no compassion for either side, for really the only ones who truly suffer is us the fans.

Old
09-28-2012, 08:50 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
It is an interesting argument.

I guess my question, though, is how many permanent jobs are they actually taking? Are these players being brought in under any sort of roster expansion--or are they actually taking a slot from an existing player? I ask because it seems like it is always a third-party who is covering the insurance premiums, etc., so that would suggest, perhaps, that the "wage bill" of the existing club is unaffected.

But, like I said, I don't think he's completely out-to-lunch here.

Old
09-28-2012, 09:53 AM
StandingCow

If negotiations don't go well today we can start Xing out regular season games. :/

Old
09-28-2012, 10:29 AM
shipwreck
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
If negotiations don't go well today we can start Xing out regular season games. :/
Yea, pretty much...

Old
09-28-2012, 12:21 PM
2minutes4slashing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
There is no doubt in my mind a deal will get done.
Curious to why you'd even think that? they dont care what's at stake when you have this many power hungry levels of people at the table . Nothing more then wishful thinking . There's not gonna be an NHL season for 2012-2013 , book it .

Old
09-28-2012, 05:22 PM
Krishna

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=406296

NHL, NHLPA MAKE PROGRESS ON DRUG TESTING, HEALTH ISSUES

Quote:
NEW YORK -- The NHL and the players' association agreed on issues related to player safety and drug testing Friday, but the core economic divide that is preventing an end to the league's latest lockout was not even on the agenda.

The sides returned to the bargaining table after more than two weeks apart, and some progress was made in about two hours of discussions during a morning session.

"You would absolutely hope that things progress and kind of catch fire, but right now we're just going to take it one step at a time and try to come to an agreement on as many issues as possible," said former player Mathieu Schneider, now an NHLPA special assistant to the executive director. "We're taking baby steps right now."

Old
09-28-2012, 05:40 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

It's stupid they didn't talk for 2 weeks.

09-28-2012, 05:53 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
It's stupid they didn't talk for 2 weeks.
This^ They haven't talked for two weeks and apparently they only talked for 2 hours today? Really? What else do they have to do?

Old
09-28-2012, 05:57 PM
Krishna

They had meetings in the morning and afternoon

Plus have meetings this w eekend

Old
09-28-2012, 06:38 PM
Krishna

Renaud P Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS
Gary Bettman and Don Fehr had a private conversation today on CBA issues. Saturday NHL and PA will talk about the league economic framework.

Old
09-28-2012, 07:34 PM
McNasty

Well if you see a **** ton of players sign in Europe Sunday and Monday: Panic.

Old
09-28-2012, 08:54 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
It is an interesting argument.
It's an incredibly poor argument from an economic standpoint. Those players don't own those jobs. They will be displaced for awhile, the amount of professional hockey jobs lost is hilariously small, and overall the exposure may generate more interest which will create more hockey related jobs and provide more interest in the teams when the players leave, giving them greater security (and hopefully the displaced few get their former jobs back).

The teams aren't signing them because it is a bad thing for hockey.

Any argument to keep the players in North America should be based upon the severe damage to local economies by missing games. Sporting events bring in a ton of money and create a ton of jobs. It's a patriotic plea.

(But even that is a bad argument-- but at least it will convince people because of the inherent guilt it has in it-- if you don't care about guilt and look at it from a 100% global economy-- when jobs leave here jobs are created elsewhere - usually resulting in a near neutral change in employment globally once full balance has been restored, which will occur -- hell, it only took 6 months for the US economy to recover from soldiers coming back from WW2 -- massive injection of unemployed workers).

...and to stand together as a union? They have reps. Communication devices are global. Phones. Cisco. Stay in game shape and keep checks coming in ? Yesplz.

Old
09-28-2012, 08:55 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
Gary Bettman and Don Fehr had a private conversation today on CBA issues. Saturday NHL and PA will talk about the league economic framework.
About damn time!!!

09-28-2012, 10:45 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
If if was so private, how does Lavoie know about it?

Old
09-29-2012, 12:09 AM
2minutes4slashing

Darren Dreger summed up Friday’s meetings by saying that “none of what has been discussed will lead to an end to the lockout.”

Old
09-29-2012, 03:00 AM
StandingCow

I think my statement was a bit premature... apparently they didn't talk about the most important thing on friday, they are saving that for today I think?

Old
09-29-2012, 06:02 AM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
I think my statement was a bit premature... apparently they didn't talk about the most important thing on friday, they are saving that for today I think?
Yeah. Today they are talking about the economic issues again.

Old
09-29-2012, 12:03 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2minutes4slashing View Post
Darren Dreger summed up Friday’s meetings by saying that “none of what has been discussed will lead to an end to the lockout.”
I feel like there is no sense of urgency to get this CBA settled.

Old
09-29-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
Precisely. They're acting like the time it takes has no ramifications on anyone else. It's like they've got all the time in the world. So far, the only nod the fans have had is propaganda about how they're the ones wanting a deal done.

Neither of them care so long as they get that extra 1%. I hate all of this, it's really leaving a sour taste in my mouth and it's only the hockey addiction that's keeping me here.

Old
09-29-2012, 02:14 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
Exactly, and I don't understand.

Old
09-29-2012, 02:22 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
It's an incredibly poor argument from an economic standpoint. Those players don't own those jobs. They will be displaced for awhile, the amount of professional hockey jobs lost is hilariously small, and overall the exposure may generate more interest which will create more hockey related jobs and provide more interest in the teams when the players leave, giving them greater security (and hopefully the displaced few get their former jobs back).

The teams aren't signing them because it is a bad thing for hockey.

Any argument to keep the players in North America should be based upon the severe damage to local economies by missing games. Sporting events bring in a ton of money and create a ton of jobs. It's a patriotic plea.

(But even that is a bad argument-- but at least it will convince people because of the inherent guilt it has in it-- if you don't care about guilt and look at it from a 100% global economy-- when jobs leave here jobs are created elsewhere - usually resulting in a near neutral change in employment globally once full balance has been restored, which will occur -- hell, it only took 6 months for the US economy to recover from soldiers coming back from WW2 -- massive injection of unemployed workers).

...and to stand together as a union? They have reps. Communication devices are global. Phones. Cisco. Stay in game shape and keep checks coming in ? Yesplz.
I don't think Cherry was making an economic argument. I think he was making a moral argument.

Old
09-29-2012, 03:22 PM

I've got the mother of all rants lined up for when they print the 'thank you fans' logo when this is eventually over.

Old
09-29-2012, 03:43 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Not that this is really ground breaking but two NHLPA agents on bloomberg both think that this will be a season lockout.

Old
09-29-2012, 04:22 PM
Baddogg

As a fan of NHL Hockey, I find the whole situation completely unacceptable. The players and owners are rubbing our faces in this crap because they believe we'll all come back....I wish I had season tickets because I would cancel them and look for ways to follow another league that isn't run by idiots!!!!!

They had more than enough time to get their sh#$ together on this CBA and have failed....EPIC FAILURE!!!!!!!!!!

Old
09-29-2012, 07:30 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
I don't think Cherry was making an economic argument. I think he was making a moral argument.
Yeah that is how I interpreted it. Seemed like he was saying it's a dick move. For the most part, the guys going overseas to play on a lockout-only basis already have plenty of money, while the roster spots they are taking are from presumably border line pro players who may have their dreams put on hold (or even cut short altogether depending on the circumstances) just so some already rich established guy can play for a couple months to a year. Plenty of incentive for the teams making the signings and the players signing the contracts, but the little guy is getting screwed. I thought it was interesting because I never looked at it like that. Malkin and Ovechkin just kicked some guy off a team so they can play for a little bit then go back to NHL. If they were staying over there it would be different.

Closed Thread