Notices

Will we make the cap floor?

Old
06-29-2012, 04:22 AM
almostawake

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhay1987 View Post
I think Gaustad already resigned with the preds?
He hasn't. He has an offer that from the Preds that he doesn't mind, but it seems he's going to see what is out there on July 1st.

almostawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:06 AM
Huffer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter sullivan View Post
there are a lot of things to worry about as a jets fan.....being handcuffed by the cap is not one of them.....that will never happen.
Maybe not the official league salary cap. But being handcuffed by the Jets internal cap could always be a possibility if the GM went out and made a few bad decisions right before a bunch of our important RFA's needed new deals.

Huffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:46 AM
hockeyarena

Nevermind us, how do teams like Phoenix get anywhere near the cap floor? They have 39 mil spent on 18 players...meaning to get to 54 mil they need to spend another $15 million on a few guys...but no free agents will want to sign there...someone's getting a nice payday out of Phoenix.

hockeyarena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:52 AM
Gil Fisher

We might be able to spend the $11m to get to the floor, but I can't see us being a mid-cap team this year.

Gil Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:08 AM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Fisher View Post
We might be able to spend the $11m to get to the floor, but I can't see us being a mid-cap team this year.
That's fine in my IMO. If we can't add players of value there's no point in picking up salary. Lots people on this board want to see us reach a certain point on the salary cap as a sign by ownership that we're committed to winning. This thinking is just backwards. Commitment to winning is demonstrated by making smart hockey choices, not spending an extra ten million to give the appearance of an improved team.
(the comment isnt directed at you Gil, just a general observation over the years)

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:10 AM
allan5oh
Adv stats blowhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by knorthern knight View Post
We MUST sign Kane; $4 million
Machacek $2 million
Wellwood $1.5 million
Gustavsson $1.5 million
Postma $1 million
Kulda $1 million

That leaves us $1 million short and room for 1 more roster player. Put Scheifele into the starting roster at $1,594,167, and we easily hit the floor.
More for Wellwood, less for Machacek, but basically it comes out in the wash. But you're right, a steady as she goes approach lands us about $1 million short. We're supposed to be a mid cap team according to TNSE, so that means about $8 million more. That's some serious coin.

The problem is UFAs are going to be overpaid more than usual after July 1st. I don't know aobut you guys, but I'd prefer they didn't do that. Maybe a small upgrade on the 3rd/4th lines would be a good idea. I just don't see the roster changing much from last year.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...160801425.html

Quote:
The Jets are believed to be still talking to unrestricted free agent Tanner Glass and are believed to have some interest in the returns of two other UFA's, forward Kyle Wellwood and defenceman Mark Flood.
So I guess that means Meech, Jones, and Stapleton are out. Unless they've already come to an agreement.

Last edited by allan5oh: 06-29-2012 at 09:32 AM.
allan5oh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:14 AM
allan5oh
Adv stats blowhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsdude View Post
Nevermind us, how do teams like Phoenix get anywhere near the cap floor? They have 39 mil spent on 18 players...meaning to get to 54 mil they need to spend another $15 million on a few guys...but no free agents will want to sign there...someone's getting a nice payday out of Phoenix.
They'll probably end up trading for guys that are at the end of their contracts. Their cap hit could be quite a bit larger than their actual salary.

allan5oh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:17 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
They'll probably end up trading for guys that are at the end of their contracts. Their cap hit could be quite a bit larger than their actual salary.
They can have Ron Hainsey!

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:53 AM
King Woodballs
**** HFJets

vCash: 375
Quote:
this reeks of scott gomez and mike komisarek

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:28 AM
Hammer Slammer

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
this reeks of scott gomez and mike komisarek
Insert Darth Vader "Nooooooooooooooooooooooo"

06-29-2012, 11:31 AM
King Woodballs
**** HFJets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Slammer View Post
Insert Darth Vader "Nooooooooooooooooooooooo"
not for us, for Phoenix so they can get to the cap floor

muhahahaha

Old
06-29-2012, 01:22 PM
phamJET

If the jets want to reach the cap floor, they could also extend some of their current players to new contracts and have higher cap hit?

phamJET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:30 PM
King Woodballs
**** HFJets

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamJET View Post
If the jets want to reach the cap floor, they could also extend some of their current players to new contracts and have higher cap hit?
Even if it was allowed, that wouldnt help. There are cba rules that tell you when you can sign an extension.

Besides, The new cap hit wouldnt take effect until the new contract starts

Old
06-29-2012, 02:09 PM
knorthern knight

vCash: 595
Quote:
More for Wellwood, less for Machacek, but basically it comes out in the wash. But you're right, a steady as she goes approach lands us about $1 million short. We're supposed to be a mid cap team according to TNSE, so that means about $8 million more. That's some serious coin.
That was a 22-man roster. We can add one more. I could see a lower-level free agent, or maybe a role-player. We can always pencil in Scheifele for opening day at almost $1.6 million. That'll meet the floor for Sep 15, after which I assume the floor will drop with a new CBA. Scheifele can play in preseason and 1 or 2 games at the season start, and still have his contract slide.

Quote:
The problem is UFAs are going to be overpaid more than usual after July 1st. I don't know aobut you guys, but I'd prefer they didn't do that. Maybe a small upgrade on the 3rd/4th lines would be a good idea. I just don't see the roster changing much from last year.
This could be the year that we find out just how good the Icecaps are at developing players for us, since there's not that much on the market. Another strategy might be to sign both Gustavsson and Mason. This would bring my lineup to a 23-man roster and get to the cap floor. Later on during the season, another team might be in need of a backup goalie, and we could swing a trade on our terms.

knorthern knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 04:12 PM
sting13

First I think Kane depending on length of contract could get over 4 million.
As for Muller, he was moved out of Phoenix because it was reported he was
lazy on the ice. If it's true, we don't that kind of player.

sting13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 04:52 PM
Kamo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
...Can't tell if you're serious?
No no haha, just me dreaming.

Kamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 05:49 PM
BigZ65

What about a guy like Matt Carle? Not the most physical, but he's logged a lot of minutes on contending teams, insurance for Enstrom and another lefty D with some offensive skill.

BigZ65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 06:29 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1031
I don't see the Jets being short of the floor. Just signing what they already have puts them there, and if Kane signs long term they are likely over. Signing 1 FA such as Toots puts them over. Before the next CBA is in place it is best to be on the low end to give yourself room. Next year the Jets are going to have to start opening up the pocket book. What if Bogo has another big jump forward next year, Jets will have to ante up big time and lock him up long term. Same with Wheeler to a lesser extent, never mind trying to sign Enstrom.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 06:52 PM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

I think players we should sign are:

Peter Mueller, Jordin Tootoo, Guillaume Desbiens and maybe Parenteau to a one year deal, we need a french player cause Winnipeg is Bilingual, plus hes a good 2nd liner and if Mueller doesn't sign.

I think Kane gets 3 Million IMO, resign Machacek, Clitsome and Kulda and Jonas Gustavsson

Ladd-Little-Wheeler
Kane-Burmi-Parenteau/Mueller
Tootoo-Slater-Thornburn
Cormier-Antropov-Desbiens

Enstrom-Byfuglien
Hainsey-Bogosian
Clitsome-Stuart
Kulda

Pavelec
Gustavsson

KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 06:58 PM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by sting13 View Post
First I think Kane depending on length of contract could get over 4 million.
As for Muller, he was moved out of Phoenix because it was reported he was
lazy on the ice. If it's true, we don't that kind of player.
No, him and Tippett just didn't get along, he asked for a trade, they traded him to Colorado and he got hit from behind by Rob Blake giving him a Concussion.

Old
06-29-2012, 08:37 PM
Sweech
Alles zu seiner Zeit

vCash: 5239
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJet View Post
No, him and Tippett just didn't get along, he asked for a trade, they traded him to Colorado and he got hit from behind by Rob Blake giving him a Concussion.
Yeah, there's a lot of guys who don't do well with Tippett, yet are very successful elsewhere. I have a hard time judging a player when they don't do well in Phoenix.

His health is still a concern, but this should be one of his first full summers to get fit and I'd be very supportive if we signed him.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:41 PM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

Can't we just light the money on fire?

Concordski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:44 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBryanRoleModel View Post
Can't we just light the money on fire?
If they sign Mueller, they may as well just light the money on fire because the guy has zero character. Anyone who quits on his team regardless of wanting out, shouldn't be playing a team sport.

His overall effort disappeared to the point where having him in the line-up was counter productive and it wasn't anything but the player sulking because as soon as he left, he started to put forth the effort with his new team.

The guy is a total ****** bag. Skilled or not, I wouldn't want him anywhere near this team. I'd rather have a less skilled player with loads of character who shows up to play and does everything he can to win for his team.

untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:23 PM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
It's not just about being handcuffed by the cap, it's about paying a player a contract he doesn't deserve. Whether you have the budget room or not, it's still foolish.
Why?

peter sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:02 PM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
Yeah, there's a lot of guys who don't do well with Tippett, yet are very successful elsewhere. I have a hard time judging a player when they don't do well in Phoenix.

His health is still a concern, but this should be one of his first full summers to get fit and I'd be very supportive if we signed him.
name 7-10 that don't want to be under him that do well elsewhere not names mueller