HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roster Thoughts and Offseason Speculation for the 2012-2013 Season II

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-02-2012, 01:29 PM
  #226
funky
Registered User
 
funky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Saskatoon, Sask
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,081
vCash: 500
No to trading Carter for Ryan and I like Ryan a lot. Chemistry and speed is what Carter brings, as well as hands that can pot 40 in a good year.

New Jersey took care of their goaltending for the next two years, 1 less suitor for Bernier.

Why hasn't King signed? Thought that should be an easier one unless DL and co are concentrating their efforts on UFA's right now.

funky is offline  
Old
07-02-2012, 01:38 PM
  #227
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!
 
TwoForRoughing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: UCLA, Los Angeles
Posts: 2,261
vCash: 500
I absolutely loved the Carter deal, but I would trade him for Ryan all day every day.

TwoForRoughing is offline  
Old
07-02-2012, 01:45 PM
  #228
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry
 
Rorschach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 6,670
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
With us icing basically the same lineup next season, it will be interesting to see whether or not our playoff run was an aberration, or if this team has what it takes to be a consistent contender.
I don't think we the Kings fans who followed the teams progress closely this year need any sort of validation. I already got all I needed and then some in round 1 against Vancouver.

It will help to shut up all of the people who still consider us a 8 seed in the West (which translates to them that we're barely the 16th best team in the league or something). A lot of teams and a lot of talk out there by "analysts" make it sound like if you just make it in to the playoffs, anything can happen, look at the Kings, fortunate, lucky run.

I fully expect out record to challenge for the Presidents trophy next year, with our four full lines and three set pairs on D, although none of us will care if we win it.

Rorschach is offline  
Old
07-02-2012, 01:46 PM
  #229
Ollie Weeks
Registered User
 
Ollie Weeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sioux Lookout, NWO
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,176
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by funky View Post
Why hasn't King signed? Thought that should be an easier one unless DL and co are concentrating their efforts on UFA's right now.

That's exactly whats happening. Because King's contract should be an easy one it can be put off while the bigger fish are fried.

Ollie Weeks is online now  
Old
07-02-2012, 01:52 PM
  #230
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry
 
Rorschach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 6,670
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Batch View Post
Makes the most sense. We have no room for forwards anymore. Suter would allow us to let Scuderi go.

Sign Suter, then trade Bernier+Scuderi to Edmonton for their first an third round pick next year?

Fantasy land though
This is just me but I'd rather give Florida or CBJ Bernier for nothing than get a first from Edmonton. Cant give that team this goalie. Let alone trade Scuderi...even if it makes hockey sense it makes no sense to the franchise.

Rorschach is offline  
Old
07-02-2012, 02:02 PM
  #231
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967
 
Ron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Brea, California
Country: United States
Posts: 9,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
I fully expect out record to challenge for the Presidents trophy next year, with our four full lines and three set pairs on D, although none of us will care if we win it.
You are right, we will contend for it, and you are right again, I really don't care if we win it or not.

Ron is offline  
Old
07-02-2012, 02:07 PM
  #232
Johnny Utah
Registered User
 
Johnny Utah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 7,032
vCash: 500
Something has to give now...Gagne was on the 4th line in the playoffs and Richardson, Clifford and Westgarth were all healthy scratches.

Johnny Utah is offline  
Old
07-02-2012, 02:12 PM
  #233
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967
 
Ron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Brea, California
Country: United States
Posts: 9,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
I don't think we the Kings fans who followed the teams progress closely this year need any sort of validation. I already got all I needed and then some in round 1 against Vancouver.

It will help to shut up all of the people who still consider us a 8 seed in the West (which translates to them that we're barely the 16th best team in the league or something). A lot of teams and a lot of talk out there by "analysts" make it sound like if you just make it in to the playoffs, anything can happen, look at the Kings, fortunate, lucky run.
Good post.

I have contended time and again those "analysts" really don't do their homework, since the Kings could hardly be considered a typical "8th" seed...top to bottom, the WC was extremely tough this past season.

The "analysts" never do their homework because ANYONE can say "just get in and see what happens." And that the Kings "barely got in." They sure have short memories: the Kings actually played themselves out of a 3rd seed, but every "analyst" conveniently forgot that.

Just as they conveniently forgot the Kings finished the season 13-5-3, then went 16-4 in the playoffs for a 29-9-3 finish...oh well, let the myth continue to perpetuate itself...if it translates into back-to-back Cups, sign me up first to drink the Kool-Aid.

Ron is offline  
Old
07-02-2012, 02:13 PM
  #234
johnjm22
16,005
 
johnjm22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Barstow, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,537
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
I don't think we the Kings fans who followed the teams progress closely this year need any sort of validation. I already got all I needed and then some in round 1 against Vancouver.

It will help to shut up all of the people who still consider us a 8 seed in the West (which translates to them that we're barely the 16th best team in the league or something). A lot of teams and a lot of talk out there by "analysts" make it sound like if you just make it in to the playoffs, anything can happen, look at the Kings, fortunate, lucky run.

I fully expect out record to challenge for the Presidents trophy next year, with our four full lines and three set pairs on D, although none of us will care if we win it.
It's not about validation. I feel fully validated.

It's more about the ultimate goal; building a dynasty...having a franchise that will contend year in and year out for over a decade (like Detroit).

johnjm22 is offline  
Old
07-02-2012, 02:17 PM
  #235
CTKingsFan
6/11/12 & 6/13/14
 
CTKingsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 2,443
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Something has to give now...Gagne was on the 4th line in the playoffs and Richardson, Clifford and Westgarth were all healthy scratches.
I think there is a good chance Clifford and Westgarth start the season in Manchester. Richardson will be an extra forward and I wouldn't be surprised if Marc-Andre Cliche makes the team as an extra forward as well. Like Richardson he can play both the wing and center.

Gagne will def. move up to the 3rd line. King will probably drop back.

CTKingsFan is offline  
Old
07-02-2012, 02:24 PM
  #236
DaAnimal
Registered User
 
DaAnimal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pasadena
Country: United States
Posts: 1,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTKingsFan View Post
I think there is a good chance Clifford and Westgarth start the season in Manchester. Richardson will be an extra forward and I wouldn't be surprised if Marc-Andre Cliche makes the team as an extra forward as well. Like Richardson he can play both the wing and center.

Gagne will def. move up to the 3rd line. King will probably drop back.
what is the likelihood of trading clifford? Are fans/management willing to part ways with him? I think we might get a decent prospect?

DaAnimal is offline  
Old
07-02-2012, 02:32 PM
  #237
damacles1156
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 12,981
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaAnimal View Post
what is the likelihood of trading clifford? Are fans/management willing to part ways with him? I think we might get a decent prospect?
Why are people so eager to start the Development process over again with a new prospect.... ?

Why not just keep Clifford and his man frame at a 20 year old.

damacles1156 is offline  
Old
07-02-2012, 02:41 PM
  #238
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry
 
Rorschach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 6,670
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaAnimal View Post
what is the likelihood of trading clifford? Are fans/management willing to part ways with him? I think we might get a decent prospect?
Can't trade Clifford. We need guys who can play Sutter style and can step in at moments notice. Now that we're done filling the roster with everyday players, we will need to fill the reserves in case of injury while also grooming future replacements for future seasons. We can't discard a player like Clifford so easily who fits the current team well.

Rorschach is offline  
Old
07-02-2012, 02:47 PM
  #239
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry
 
Rorschach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 6,670
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Good post.

I have contended time and again those "analysts" really don't do their homework, since the Kings could hardly be considered a typical "8th" seed...top to bottom, the WC was extremely tough this past season.

The "analysts" never do their homework because ANYONE can say "just get in and see what happens." And that the Kings "barely got in." They sure have short memories: the Kings actually played themselves out of a 3rd seed, but every "analyst" conveniently forgot that.

Just as they conveniently forgot the Kings finished the season 13-5-3, then went 16-4 in the playoffs for a 29-9-3 finish...oh well, let the myth continue to perpetuate itself...if it translates into back-to-back Cups, sign me up first to drink the Kool-Aid.
Thanks man

I think I, or we, got three heaping tablespoons full of evidence that this team SHOULD kick a$$, the one with Sutter, Carter and King/Nolan plus the rejuvenated and healthy regular players.

First was the charge into the playoffs, next was beating down hard two very good teams in the first two rounds and then finally closing out the Cup. All three things validate each other. Plus with our minor league depth, anything less than a 65% win record or higher next season will be disappointing.

But we know this.

Rorschach is offline  
Old
07-02-2012, 02:52 PM
  #240
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry
 
Rorschach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 6,670
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Why are people so eager to start the Development process over again with a new prospect.... ?

Why not just keep Clifford and his man frame at a 20 year old.
That's right. Clifford is a player every GM hopes they get in the late first round, with character and some upside, let alone in the second round. No telling even if we trade him for a first if we'll even get as good a player let alone that player panning into a NHLer like BRD has. Let him spend a year in the AHL on the top six and get tons of minutes and play all roles, let him develop even more, Lombardi-style.

Rorschach is offline  
Old
07-02-2012, 03:39 PM
  #241
Reclamation Project
Technically, Missing
 
Reclamation Project's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 20,034
vCash: 500
Carter over Ryan seven days a week.

Reclamation Project is offline  
Old
07-02-2012, 03:46 PM
  #242
Flour Child
Unleavened User
 
Flour Child's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Drury Lane
Posts: 21,836
vCash: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
That's right. Clifford is a player every GM hopes they get in the late first round, with character and some upside, let alone in the second round. No telling even if we trade him for a first if we'll even get as good a player let alone that player panning into a NHLer like BRD has. Let him spend a year in the AHL on the top six and get tons of minutes and play all roles, let him develop even more, Lombardi-style.
Exactly.

Flour Child is offline  
Old
07-02-2012, 03:50 PM
  #243
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France
 
savemefromtears's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: City of Angels
Country: United States
Posts: 1,952
vCash: 500
Dumping Clifford and trading Scuderi...

You people baffle me.

savemefromtears is offline  
Old
07-02-2012, 03:54 PM
  #244
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Jason Lewis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,091
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by savemefromtears View Post
Dumping Clifford and trading Scuderi...

You people baffle me.
dumping Clifford trading Scuderi and trading Carter for Bobby Ryan.


Even the offseason after a stanley cup is annoying...

Jason Lewis is offline  
Old
07-02-2012, 04:01 PM
  #245
kinghock
Registered User
 
kinghock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mahwah,NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 731
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
This is just me but I'd rather give Florida or CBJ Bernier for nothing than get a first from Edmonton. Cant give that team this goalie. Let alone trade Scuderi...even if it makes hockey sense it makes no sense to the franchise.
I would not give Florida or CBJ Bernier for nothing, but I will not trade Bernier to Edmonton either.

kinghock is offline  
Old
07-02-2012, 04:05 PM
  #246
Herby
Culture Changer
 
Herby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 15,348
vCash: 500
Bobby Ryan is a better player than Jeff Carter, is younger and isn't signed until 2022. If your am expansion team you easily take Ryan.

But Jeff Carter just scored the biggest goal in team history and arguably the second biggest goal in team history. He is not being traded to anyone, and definitely not to the Ducks!

As for Clifford, if he can't beat out Nolan or King in camp, there is no room for him and he starts in Manchester. The guy is 21, he isn't some vet being sent down there.

As for Westgarth, who cares. He can either be waived to Manchester or stay on as the 14th forward. Sutter knows the days of the goon are over in the NHL. No need for this guy anymore.

Herby is offline  
Old
07-02-2012, 04:14 PM
  #247
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,842
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
dumping Clifford trading Scuderi and trading Carter for Bobby Ryan.


Even the offseason after a stanley cup is annoying...
If you are annoyed by it, why are you reading a "speculation" thread?

I was just throwing out Carter for Ryan as "***** and giggles", which means it is not serious, just wanted to see if anyone else would do it.

Nothing wrong with making Clifford earn his spot in the lineup.

Sydor25 is offline  
Old
07-02-2012, 04:37 PM
  #248
The Black1963
Grit & Character
 
The Black1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orange County CA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,293
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
That's right. Clifford is a player every GM hopes they get in the late first round, with character and some upside, let alone in the second round. No telling even if we trade him for a first if we'll even get as good a player let alone that player panning into a NHLer like BRD has. Let him spend a year in the AHL on the top six and get tons of minutes and play all roles, let him develop even more, Lombardi-style.
Wow, if we can get a first rounder for a Clifford, how many firsts can we get for King?

Meh, I like Clifford, but he's not worth trading as we won't get anything more than a 2nd round pick. Let's love the guy, but let's not get carried away here.

The Black1963 is offline  
Old
07-02-2012, 04:39 PM
  #249
Reclamation Project
Technically, Missing
 
Reclamation Project's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 20,034
vCash: 500
Hudler to Calgary. 4 years, $16 million. LOLZ.

Reclamation Project is offline  
Old
07-02-2012, 04:42 PM
  #250
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room
 
KINGS17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 15,840
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaAnimal View Post
what is the likelihood of trading clifford? Are fans/management willing to part ways with him? I think we might get a decent prospect?
I don't want to see Clifford traded. The Kings are going to need him in the near future and he adds valuable depth this season. Nothing wrong with it if he has to go down to Manchester for a bit. It might help his confidence a little in terms of scoring goals.

KINGS17 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:49 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.