HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roster Thoughts and Offseason Speculation for the 2012-2013 Season II

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2012, 04:47 PM
Whiskeypete

vCash: 500
don't trade Clifford, period. LA will need depth to play Sutter hockey for a full season and playoffs. the style is asking for and the commitment the guys must give, is going to cause more wear-n-tear on them. i think we will see more injuries moving forward and LA will need the depth, in order to roll four lines.

Old
07-02-2012, 04:49 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Clifford would be an ideal 4LW here with the kings or 2LW down in manchester.

Old
07-02-2012, 05:05 PM
Johnny Utah

I think teams can only carry 3 extra players...so right now, with Clifford, Westgarth, Richardson and Drewiske....The Kings are 1 player over the max.

Old
07-02-2012, 05:08 PM
damacles1156

I could see Westy being bought out . Sutter didn't use him at all. Or someone like Clifford being sent to the AHL.

Old
07-02-2012, 05:14 PM
Quattro

it's kind of amazing how many people are saying send Clifford to the minors or even trade him - the guy's been in the NHL 2 years, played every game this year and only came out of the lineup when he got a concussion. The only reason he didn't get back in was that the team was on an unbelievable tear. I would be shocked if he isn't a regular fwd on the team next year.

Old
07-02-2012, 05:17 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
it's kind of amazing how many people are saying send Clifford to the minors or even trade him - the guy's been in the NHL 2 years, played every game this year and only came out of the lineup when he got a concussion. The only reason he didn't get back in was that the team was on an unbelievable tear. I would be shocked if he isn't a regular fwd on the team next year.
Nothing wrong with letting him develop down in manchester. He'll get plenty of icetime and will help his development. He's still very young. He has plenty of nhl in front of him.

Old
07-02-2012, 05:20 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
Its not because he has been bad or anything. Its just if the roster is as stacked as it will be, it is better for him to get lots of ice time in Manchester to develop, than get press box/limited minutes. He would naturally be the first call up for injuries aswell

Old
07-02-2012, 05:20 PM
tsanuri

What happens is beginning of season Clifford says with team and either King or Nolan goes back to Manchester. Reason is simple Clifford would need to clear waivers and King or Nolan would not. And when anyone gets injured then they will call them back up or should I say when Gagne gets injured they come back up.

Old
07-02-2012, 05:21 PM
LombardiTool

Clifford has played 2 full seasons in the NHL. He doesn't need time in the minors.

Old
07-02-2012, 05:24 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by LombardiTool View Post
Clifford has played 2 full seasons in the NHL. He doesn't need time in the minors.
Jamie Storr!

Old
07-02-2012, 05:29 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LombardiTool View Post
So what do you do with him if he can't beat out King or Nolan?

Keep him up as a healthy scratch? Makes no sense.

Old
07-02-2012, 05:33 PM
LombardiTool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
So what do you do with him if he can't beat out King or Nolan?

Keep him up as a healthy scratch? Makes no sense.
That is not what I said. Some people are infering Cliffy needs time in the minors to improve his game. If it is a numbers game, that is different. Similat to the Slava Voynov issue last season before the Jack Johnson trade.

Old
07-02-2012, 05:35 PM
FrozenKing18
Top Drawer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsanuri View Post
What happens is beginning of season Clifford says with team and either King or Nolan goes back to Manchester. Reason is simple Clifford would need to clear waivers and King or Nolan would not. And when anyone gets injured then they will call them back up or should I say when Gagne gets injured they come back up.
I don't think Clifford is eligible for waivers

Old
07-02-2012, 05:44 PM
tsanuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenKing18 View Post
I don't think Clifford is eligible for waivers
He has played 166 games so he is the cut off is 160.

http://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-waiver-rules/

Which is why he stays and either Nolan or King goes back to Manchester. You don't risk loosing him for nothing.

If he made it down he would not have to clear re-entry but could be claimed while going down is my understanding.

Old
07-02-2012, 05:52 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:

Which is why he stays and either Nolan or King goes back to Manchester. You don't risk loosing him for nothing.

If he made it down he would not have to clear re-entry but could be claimed while going down is my understanding.
Are you sure that playoff games count? I thought it was just regular season games.

Old
07-02-2012, 05:59 PM
tsanuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Are you sure that playoff games count? I thought it was just regular season games.
On page 66 of the CBA it says regular season on playoff games.

http://capgeek.com/CBA.php

Old
07-02-2012, 05:59 PM
damacles1156

Quote:

It's 180 NHL games, I thought

Also that article does not pertain to players on ELC.

Which Clifford is still on for one more year. At least that is how I see the CBA explaining it.

It would make zero sense to make ELC players available to waivers at any point. They are on an ELC for a reason, So the club that drafted them can develop and keep them, hence RFA status as well.

If that is actually true, I wonder why more players on ELC have not been taken off waivers. Cause that would be a cheap way to restock your minors and roster. Also you wouldn't have to develop them at all. Some other team has already done it.

I am sure Clifford is not the first ELC player to go past 180 NHL games and get sent down. I figure teams would snatch up any player that met that criteria.

Last edited by damacles1156: 07-02-2012 at 06:05 PM.
Old
07-02-2012, 06:08 PM
tsanuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
It's 180 NHL games, I thought

Also that article does not pertain to players on ELC.

Which Clifford is still on for one more year. At least that is how I see the CBA explaining it.

It would make zero sense to make ELC players available to waivers at any point. They are on an ELC for a reason, So the club that drafted them can develop and keep them, hence RFA status as well.

If that is actually true, I wonder why more players on ELC have not been taken off waivers. Cause that would be a cheap way to restock your minors and roster. Also you wouldn't have to develop them at all. Some other team has already done it.
Your answer will be found on page 67 first line.

Once you reach the 160 game mark it doesn't matter if it is EL or not. And reading back through he is not even exempt from re-entry like I had thought.

Old
07-02-2012, 06:11 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Your answer will be found on page 67 first line.

Once you reach the 160 game mark it doesn't matter if it is EL or not. And reading back through he is not even exempt from re-entry like I had thought.
Then why don't teams just take players on ELC from waivers. Like I said Clifford can't be the first to play 160 NHL games and get sent down.

I would be poaching players left and right. So easy to stock a minors that why.

Hell you would probably get a couple first round guys like that. Also I thought that was the entire purpose of a Two way contract/ELC. To make the player waiver immune.

That is how it works in NHL 12 Two way contract/ELC= can't be waiver eligible.

Old
07-02-2012, 06:33 PM
tsanuri

Quote:
Then why don't teams just take players on ELC from waivers. Like I said Clifford can't be the first to play 160 NHL games and get sent down.

Hell you would probably get a couple first round guys like that. Also I thought that was the entire purpose of a Two way contract. To make the player waiver immune.

That is how it works in NHL 12 Two way contract = can't be waiver eligible.
The two way contract does until they play the set amount of games that then ends it.
And I don't think you find near as many as you think that hit the number of games and get waved as EL players. Just use this as an example you draft an 18 year old you have five years or 160 games before he has to face waivers. So you don't play them their first year in the NHL that. Now gives you have the season for the next 4 yours that you can have them up and not face any problems. And if your team makes the playoffs and you need them then you loose some of that but if they produce you will keep them anyway.
As to NHL 12 working that way doesn't mean that is the way it works in the real world.

And one interesting thing when you look at the CBA it talks about players over 20 and professional games played, and those are not just NHL games. And not sure if that is once a player turns 20 or any contract they sign after becoming 20. I think it is contracts signed after 20 otherwise we will no find ourselves in trouble with Nolan and King about them being moved down.

Old
07-02-2012, 06:39 PM
Docgonzo
Triple Crown Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
As for Clifford, if he can't beat out Nolan or King in camp, there is no room for him and he starts in Manchester. The guy is 21, he isn't some vet being sent down there.
Pretty much this, Nolan and Clifford battle it out for last 4th line spot. Whoever loses gets sent to Manchester to play top line minutes and probably be 1st or 2nd call up for wingers.

Old
07-02-2012, 06:42 PM
SCARFACE909

Quote:

Hell you would probably get a couple first round guys like that. Also I thought that was the entire purpose of a Two way contract/ELC. To make the player waiver immune.

That is how it works in NHL 12 Two way contract/ELC= can't be waiver eligible.
Two-way contract means you make two different salaries depending on whether you're in the NHL or AHL. The reason they make two-way contracts exempt in NHL 12 is to make the waiver system easier to handle and understand, having the whole games played would confuse a lot of people.

Old
07-02-2012, 06:43 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCARFACE909 View Post
Two-way contract means you make two different salaries depending on whether you're in the NHL or AHL. The reason they make two-way contracts exempt in NHL 12 is to make the waiver system easier to handle and understand, having the whole games played would confuse a lot of people.
I know that, it was a Joke hence the smiley face.

Still can't believe the 160 game rule though, Seems like the waiver wire would be way more active for teams. I would be chomping at the bit for a guy like Magnus who is close to that.

Old
07-02-2012, 06:43 PM
SCARFACE909

Quote:
I know that, it was a Joke hence the smiley face.
Usually the joke face is but understood sir haha

Old
07-02-2012, 06:47 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Looks like Nolan will be the odd man out then, unless someone is moved.

Closed Thread