HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roster Thoughts and Offseason Speculation for the 2012-2013 Season II

Closed Thread

Old
07-12-2012, 03:50 PM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
If Bernier was moved, I'd like us to sign Sanford to be back up for a year
He's already under contract with Lokomotiv Yaroslavl so that won't work. Dan Ellis could be a good cheap pickup

Old
07-12-2012, 03:51 PM
losingsand

Erik Ersberg's had a couple of solid seasons in the KHL how bout we bring him back.

--some may laugh, but actually thought he was pretty solid, wouldn't be a bad option for a back-up stopgap til Jones is ready for the back-up job.
--i don't even know ersbergs contact and the KHL also diminishes yr game a little bit i think.

Old
07-12-2012, 03:54 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by losingsand View Post
Erik Ersberg's had a couple of solid seasons in the KHL how bout we bring him back.

--some may laugh, but actually thought he was pretty solid, wouldn't be a bad option for a back-up stopgap til Jones is ready for the back-up job.
--i don't even know ersbergs contact and the KHL also diminishes yr game a little bit i think.
I actually like that idea!

Old
07-12-2012, 03:58 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
This is why I hated seeing Zaktoff go. Now, if Bernier leaves, our organizational depth at goaltender suddenly looks much less deep.
Quick is signed for 11 years. No #1 quality/potential goalie will want to play for LA knowing this. The Kings are going to have to live or die with Quick now. It's not fair to keep Bernier on the bench for another year when he could be a starter somewhere else.

The Kings next #1 goalie could be 13 years old right now.

Old
07-12-2012, 04:06 PM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Quick is signed for 11 years. No #1 quality/potential goalie will want to play for LA knowing this. The Kings are going to have to live or die with Quick now. It's not fair to keep Bernier on the bench for another year when he could be a starter somewhere else.

The Kings next #1 goalie could be 13 years old right now.
Dean is going to do what's right for the team, not for Bernier. That doesn't mean he should keep him for another 2 seasons. Dean is going to wait for the best deal. Bernier just has to keep his attitude straight.

I like how Bernier mentions he wants to be close to home. Nobody cares what you want, when you're dealt.. deal with it.

Old
07-12-2012, 04:13 PM
Kings man 4 life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
Dean is going to do what's right for the team, not for Bernier. That doesn't mean he should keep him for another 2 seasons. Dean is going to wait for the best deal. Bernier just has to keep his attitude straight.

I like how Bernier mentions he wants to be close to home. Nobody cares what you want, when you're dealt.. deal with it.
I see Shellz loves only one net minder and hates all others lol

Old
07-12-2012, 04:17 PM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings man 4 life View Post
I see Shellz loves only one net minder and hates all others lol
I don't have time for headcases

Old
07-12-2012, 04:29 PM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

So when Bernier is saying close to home what do you think he is hoping for and what would be coming back from the Oilers if he goes there either by himself or as a package.

Old
07-12-2012, 04:54 PM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

Quote:

This sounds good he would be a great option. Wonder if DL ever thinks of this. Doubt it but he would be good.

Old
07-12-2012, 04:54 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
I don't have time for headcases
I don't think asking for a trade after only playing like 12 games in your early 20s is a headcase. He just mentions he'd love to be closer to home. Wouldn't every player for the most part?

Old
07-12-2012, 04:55 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Quote:

Hasn't he been pretty bad in the KHL? I remember seeing some terrible blunders of his when he's given up goals from all over the place. Not that every goal doesn't do that from time to time (Quick against Phoenix), but I remember looking into it after seeing those mistakes. His numbers were terrible.

Old
07-12-2012, 05:02 PM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post
I don't think asking for a trade after only playing like 12 games in your early 20s is a headcase. He just mentions he'd love to be closer to home. Wouldn't every player for the most part?
It was just a joke. I understand Bernier wants to be a number one. But, he's going to have to earn it when he gets traded. I would expect him to split with another guy.

You can just tell Bernier really wants out. But, Dean isn't going to accommodate him. I hope he's gone soon.

Old
07-12-2012, 05:03 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

I am sure Bernier wants his shot at being an NHL starter. I am sure he will get that shot at some point when it is advantageous to the Kings.

Old
07-12-2012, 05:18 PM
Johnny Utah

Thought Quick's deal runs 10 years it does give the option of a really young kid like Gibson the opportunity to grow in the pro ranks, make there way to his back up and eventually possibly take over the role. Gibson is 19 now and Quick is 26...in 6-7 years, Quick will be 32-33 and Gibson 25...perfect age to take over. Any goalie the Kings draft from here on out has even a better shot. But, Bernier at 23, is too close in age to Quick...By the time Quick starts aging or the contract gets close to be done, Bernier will be 29-30.

Old
07-12-2012, 05:32 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Thought Quick's deal runs 10 years it does give the option of a really young kid like Gibson the opportunity to grow in the pro ranks, make there way to his back up and eventually possibly take over the role. Gibson is 19 now and Quick is 26...in 6-7 years, Quick will be 32-33 and Gibson 25...perfect age to take over. Any goalie the Kings draft from here on out has even a better shot. But, Bernier at 23, is too close in age to Quick...By the time Quick starts aging or the contract gets close to be done, Bernier will be 29-30.
His new contract is for 10 years, but he still has 1 year left on his current deal. His new contact doesn't start until 2013-2014.

Old
07-12-2012, 05:39 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:

Remember when the Kings put Ersberg in for Quick in one of the playoff games in the Vancouver series in 2010? Then they had to pull Ersberg because he was absolutely dreadful. I'd rather they bring Huet back. Ersberg is not cut for the NHL. Hell, I'd rather see J.S. Aubin in net than have to go through Ersberg again.

Old
07-12-2012, 05:42 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

So, after we trade Bernier sometime this year, I guess we can look forward to trading Jones in the next 2 to 3 yrs, followed by Berube 4 to 5 yrs.

I love Quick, but that 10 yrs contract is just too long, especially for a goalie.

Old
07-12-2012, 05:44 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black1963 View Post
So, after we trade Bernier sometime this year, I guess we can look forward to trading Jones in the next 2 to 3 yrs, followed by Berube 4 to 5 yrs.

I love Quick, but that 10 yrs contract is just too long, especially for a goalie.
You gotta be kidding me if you think all of those goalies are going to be starters within the next five years.

Old
07-12-2012, 05:46 PM
DontgoZiggy

Quote:

If Quick plays anywhere up to the level he's played at for the last couple of years, I don't care if we trade every goalie prospect while he's here.

Old
07-12-2012, 05:48 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
You gotta be kidding me if you think all of those goalies are going to be starters within the next five years.
I don't see why that's so far fetched.

Old
07-12-2012, 05:51 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
I don't see why that's so far fetched.
Jones and Berube have yet to show that they are capable of being regular starters in the minor league level. Let's not count our chickens before they hatch. And backup goalies are well traveled. It wouldn't be too difficult for the Kings to find one or develop and retain one.

Old
07-12-2012, 05:51 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontgoZiggy View Post
If Quick plays anywhere up to the level he's played at for the last couple of years, I don't care if we trade every goalie prospect while he's here.
Hey, I'm with you. I just don't want to waste a high draft pick and developing them, only to trade them away.

Old
07-12-2012, 05:55 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Jones and Berube have yet to show that they are capable of being regular starters in the minor league level. Let's not count our chickens before they hatch. And backup goalies are well traveled. It wouldn't be too difficult for the Kings to find one or develop and retain one.
Berube, maybe, but Jones has put up two solid seasons at manchester. I can see Jones being a backup within a year or two.

Old
07-12-2012, 06:38 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Quote:
Hey, I'm with you. I just don't want to waste a high draft pick and developing them, only to trade them away.
this is an interesting point. Is this where BPA needs alteration since we've committed to a goaltender? Or is it that we still go on business as usual because what if Quick doesn't pan out or gets injured. Does our whole system collapse just because we put too much faith into one person?

It seems like the going rate for goaltenders is fairly low, especially backups. I wonder what the best approach is here.

Old
07-12-2012, 06:41 PM
DontgoZiggy

Quote:
I'll be interested to see where the focus lies at the next draft, I doubt we draft goalies with high picks over the next few years. I'm guessing a lot of slow cook D prospects.

Closed Thread