HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roster Thoughts and Offseason Speculation for the 2012-2013 Season II

Closed Thread

Old
08-01-2012, 02:54 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Liles? No. Liles is a swift skating puck rusher. At best, I see Muzzin's top potential as another Kyle Quincey.
I wanted to put that in, but offensively, its a long shot. But I think defensively he can be. I think he can develop much more. Hickey probably.

Old
08-01-2012, 02:55 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

This is random once again, I know it has nothing to do with the Kings, but do you guys buy into the whole panic of Ovechkin losing his spark? I think he needs a change of scenery and he will hit his stride. I just think he's been in the Capitals too long. Kind of feel bad for him.

Old
08-01-2012, 03:03 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Richardson, Clifford, King and Westgarth are not waiver exempt. The Kings must waive one of them (unless someone is lost to an injury in camp). Which forward would you want to risk for free?
Easiest question ever asked on this board.

Old
08-01-2012, 03:06 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Richardson, Clifford, King and Westgarth are not waiver exempt. The Kings must waive one of them (unless someone is lost to an injury in camp). Which forward would you want to risk for free?
I only see two realistic options. Either trade Richardson or Westgarth, or waive Westgarth. You don't trade Clifford or Nolan or King, they're here to stay (as is Lewis).

Richardson is a decent 13th forward to carry on the roster because of his versatility, having him gives the coaching staff more options on what to do with him in the lineup as opposed to Westgarth who you know has to be given limited ice time and can only match up against other fourth lines.

Old
08-01-2012, 03:27 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black1963 View Post
Since when is Deader considered a better fighter than Nolan?

Nolan may not be a great fighter, but he outweighs Deader, and probably would kick his ass.
You have to be kidding me... Nolan would have gotten destroyed by Deadmarsh (if they were both playing in the league at the same time)

Deadmarsh had a rage and fury that Nolan lacks and knew how to fight.

Here is Deadmarsh fighting Darren McCartney who is about the same size as Nolan and knew how to fight

http://m.youtube.com/watch?desktop_u...gOfA_P7A&gl=US

Last edited by Flour Child: 08-01-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old
08-01-2012, 03:35 PM
Johnny Utah

Sydor poses the sad reality....Gagne was on the 4th line in the playoffs. Clifford, Westgarth and Richardson sat. Drewiske also sat. But you can carry extra players in the playoffs, only 3 in the regular season....I have to believe Westgarth and Richardson are
going to be waived or traded.

Parros left the Ducks, but they added Staubitz. Detroit added Tootoo.

Anaheim - Staubitz, Souray, Belesky, Allen
Calgary - Jackman, Bouma, Glenncross
Columbus - Boll, Dorsett
Chicago - Mayers, Bollig, Carcillo, Brookbank
Colorado - O'Brien, McLeod, Downie, possibly Bordeleau
Dallas - Nystrom, possibly Luke Gazdic
Detroit - Bertuzzi, Tootoo
Edmonton - Eager, Hordichuk, Sutton, Peckham
Los Angeles - Nolan, Clifford, Westgarth, Fraser (he stinks at fighting though)
Minnesota - Kassian, Clutterbuck, Kenopka, Stoner
Nashville - Gaustad, McGrattan
Phoenix - Bissonette, Chipchura
San Jose - Clowe, Burrish, Wingels, Murray
St. Louis - Stewart, Reaves
Vancouver - M. Kassian, Volpatti, Lapeirre, Bieska possibly Desbiens

As you can see the division has gotten a bit softer in terms of heavyweights BUT there are much more light heavyweights and middleweights. Nolan couldn't hang with Ben Eager and has only 3 NHL fights. He is 1-2. Clifford can hang with most of these guys but there are a few he shoudln't fight, especially coming off a few concussions...Bissonette, Matt Kassian, Reaves, Belak...so I gotta assume the Kings keep Westgarth and deal/waive Richardson.

Last edited by Johnny Utah: 08-01-2012 at 08:31 PM.
Old
08-01-2012, 03:47 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Belak? Oh boy...

Old
08-01-2012, 03:47 PM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Sydor poses the sad reality....Gagne was on the 4th line in the playoffs. Clifford, Westgarth and Richardson sat. Drewiske also sat. But you can carry extra players in the playoffs, only 3 in the regular season....I have to believe Westgarth and Richardson are
going to be waived or traded.

Parros left the Ducks, but they added Staubitz. Detroit added Tootoo.

Anaheim - Staubitz, Souray, Belesky
Calgary - Jackman
Columbus - Boll, Dorsett
Chicago - Mayers, Bolig, Carcillo, Brookbank
Colorado - O'Brien, McLeod
Dallas - Nystrom, possibly Luke Gazdic
Detroit - Bertuzzi, Tootoo
Edmonton - Eager, Hordichuk, Sutton
Los Angeles - Nolan, Clifford, Westgarth, Fraser (he stinks at fighting though)
Minnesota - Kassian, Clutterbuck, Kenopka
Nashville - Gaustad, Belak
Phoenix - Bissonette, Chipchura
San Jose - Clowe, Burrish, Wingels, Murray
St. Louis - Stewart, Reaves
Vancouver - M. Kassian, Weiss, Bitz, Bieska possibly Desbiens

As you can see the division has gotten a bit softer in terms of heavyweights BUT there are much more light heavyweights and middleweights. Nolan couldn't hang with Ben Eager and has only 3 NHL fights. He is 1-2. Clifford can hang with most of these guys but there are a few he shoudln't fight, especially coming off a few concussions...Bissonette, Matt Kassian, Reaves, Belak...so I gotta assume the Kings keep Westgarth and deal/waive Richardson.
Belak?

I see nothing there that could, should, or would scare the Kings. Westgarth or no Westgarth.

Old
08-01-2012, 03:49 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
You have to be kidding me... Nolan would have gotten destroyed by Deadmarsh (if they were both playing in the league at the same time)

Deadmarsh had a rage and fury that Nolan lacks and knew how to fight.
Nolan clearly outweighs Deader by 20lb-30lbs and is the better fighter.

Deader is somewhere between a Fraser and a Clifford on a fight scale. Probably closer to a Clifford.

Old
08-01-2012, 03:54 PM
Johnny Utah

Deadmarsh has some big wins over McCarthy, Richardson and Shannahan. He's no push over. Nolan was just finding his fight niche in Manchester but then called up. He is unproven. Fought Eager, Stewart and Scandella. He is 1-2. This is his year to prove what kind of player he is. 80 games to do it.

Old
08-01-2012, 04:00 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

Quote:
Deadmarsh has some big wins over McCarthy, Richardson and Shannahan. He's no push over. Nolan was just finding his fight niche in Manchester but then called up. He is unproven. Fought Eager, Stewart and Scandella. He is 1-2.
Exactly.

Old
08-01-2012, 04:52 PM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

Quote:
Deadmarsh has some big wins over McCarthy, Richardson and Shannahan. He's no push over. Nolan was just finding his fight niche in Manchester but then called up. He is unproven. Fought Eager, Stewart and Scandella. He is 1-2. This is his year to prove what kind of player he is. 80 games to do it.
Cool. Let's talk about scoring goals.

Old
08-01-2012, 04:59 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Quote:
Deader also got dropped by Berehowsky and Jovonaski. He had problems with dudes with names like that.

I'd like to see Nolan and Eager fight more square up than how it went down. As for Clifford, he hasn't looked great in his fights with Eager or Stewart either.

I hate it too Utah, but the goon is pretty much dead. This team's "tough" lineup is going to be when Clifford and Nolan both play.

A Doan acquisition would help as well since he is not afraid to board or elbow to prove a point.

Old
08-01-2012, 05:02 PM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black1963 View Post
No, we're not in playoff mode. We just don't need a heavy in the lineup to play hockey. Just because the opponent decides to goon it up, doesn't mean we need to resort to that style of play.
This. Goons fight other goons. If the other team dresses one and we don't, he'll sit on his butt while we rotate 4 lines and kick their *****.

Team toughness is all that matters and we have that in spades. The days of dressing a goon to have a ritual fight with another goon are fading fast.

Old
08-01-2012, 05:05 PM
Johnny Utah

Team toughness does matter but I hope in games against Vancouver, Minnesota, and Chicago the Kings show that because those teams are loaded.

Old
08-01-2012, 05:08 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
The days of dressing a goon to have a ritual fight with another goon are fading fast.
I agree with this but I also still have nightmares of the day when Laperriere was the toughest guy on our team going after Sutton after he blew Jason Allison's knee out and Lappy had his ass handed to him. If you also remember, our players got run the rest of that season. Especially, Palffy.
I don't ever want that to ever happen again.

Old
08-01-2012, 05:10 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Team toughness does matter but I hope in games against Vancouver, Minnesota, and Chicago the Kings show that because those teams are loaded.
The Kings just beat Vancouver in the playoffs (and they haven't added any toughness) and didn't have any problems during the season going up against Minnesota or Chicago. Those plugs are the least of anyone's concerns nowadays.

They are limited in terms of who they can fight. Just look at the league leaders in fighting majors last season, hardly any heavyweights on there. Plus the Kings have guys who can handle themselves. Look no further than how Dwight King answered the bell when Crombeen challenged him for his hit on Pietrangelo. King held his own and won that battle (and Crombeen has since been dealt to Tampa Bay).

Old
08-01-2012, 05:13 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
I agree with this but I also still have nightmares of the day when Laperriere was the toughest guy on our team going after Sutton after he blew Jason Allison's knee out and Lappy had his ass handed to him. If you also remember, our players got run the rest of that season. Especially, Palffy.
I don't ever want that to ever happen again.
To me, that's a stupid way for a team to retaliate for losing a star player. You go eye for an eye and take out the oppositions star player. Hit them where it hurts. If a team is going to attack your top players, what sense does it make to go after a guy who sees limited ice time? Take out their top players and next time they think twice about going after the big names.

Old
08-01-2012, 05:26 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Personally, I think you're just having difficulty dealing with the fact that the goon days are coming to an end.

Believe it or not, it'll be tougher for the other coaches having to match up against our lineup, seeing that all our players can play hockey, and are no slouch when it comes to the physical stuff. We're a very balanced team all around.

We're just going to roll with our SC lineup and I'm good with that.

I still wouldn't mind Doan though.

Old
08-01-2012, 05:31 PM
Johnny Utah

Well Ziggy, Kassian got in Quick's face numerous times and no one really did anything. Clifford and him got in each other's face early on the series but besides that Kassian skated around like he owned the building. I think Greene chirped back at him once too. Also, let's not forget Burrows fighting Kopitar. We just set the tone because Brown destroyed Sedin 1A.

As for Black1963, if goons are coming to an end why did Carkner, Scott, Boulton, Parros and Barch all get signed in the off season? Carkner was actually in the middle of a bidding war between Colorado and New York Islanders. They aren't dead yet. I will be the first to admit when they are.

Konopka, Asham, Carkner, Brookbank, Parros, Staubitz, Scott, Prust all got signed July 1st...

Old
08-01-2012, 05:52 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Well Ziggy, Kassian got in Quick's face numerous times and no one really did anything. Clifford and him got in each other's face early on the series but besides that Kassian skated around like he owned the building. I think Greene chirped back at him once too. Also, let's not forget Burrows fighting Kopitar. We just set the tone because Brown destroyed Sedin 1A.

As for Black1963, if goons are coming to an end why did Carkner, Scott, Boulton, Parros and Barch all get signed in the off season? Carkner was actually in the middle of a bidding war between Colorado and New York Islanders. They aren't dead yet. I will be the first to admit when they are.

Konopka, Asham, Carkner, Brookbank, Parros, Staubitz, Scott, Prust all got signed July 1st...
I didn't say it had ended, but rather coming to an end. Meaning that there's less and less ice time for the goons in the league.

Old
08-01-2012, 05:53 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
That worked at really well for him too.

Old
08-01-2012, 05:55 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Kassian did nothing to force the Kings to have to rely on Kevin Westgarth to handle him. He was ineffective. And Burrows is a pansy who curled up into a ball after Richards wrecked him.

Old
08-01-2012, 05:56 PM
Johnny Utah

Ha, true Buddy but just saying the Kings didn't exactly push back except for the Brown hit. The St. Louis and Phoenix series the Kings became more physical. Nolan fought Stewart, King fought Crombeen and against the Coyotes; Nolan, Richardson and Penner were involved in a lot of after whistle scrums. Lapierre was running Doughty all series, Kassian was trash talking. Just seemed like Kings wanted to turn the other cheek in the first round.

Old
08-01-2012, 06:05 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Funny, I don't remember Kassian really being a factor at all in the Vancouver series. His minutes were pretty limited.

I thought the Kings gave as good as they got in the Vancouver series, and the players the Kings targeted Sedin, Burrows, and Kesler were exactly the right guys to go after. That along with pounding their defensemen every chance the Kings got gave the Kings the physical advantage in the Vancouver series.

I don't like teams messing with Quick, but he stepped up this season and gave it right back.

Closed Thread