HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

who is Crosby comparable to?

Old
07-02-2012, 07:56 PM
cassius

vCash: 500
Forsberg - with more offensive abilities, a better all around game, and stronger leadership abilities

cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 08:16 PM
sdawg1010*

Ill say, he has the vision of gretzky, the skating ability of sakic, and finishing ability of Mario...

Now lets talk about leadership because in a way you can judge a captains leadership with how he deals with the media after games...especially games where they have lost, and lost badly...

Ive seen interviews where, he takes blame himself, and puts the blame on the entire team for not showing up...That is leadership...also taking the time after practices and games to actually adresss the media...

sdawg1010* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 08:27 PM
Theridion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdawg1010 View Post
Ill say, he has the vision of gretzky, the skating ability of sakic, and finishing ability of Mario...

Now lets talk about leadership because in a way you can judge a captains leadership with how he deals with the media after games...especially games where they have lost, and lost badly...

Ive seen interviews where, he takes blame himself, and puts the blame on the entire team for not showing up...That is leadership...also taking the time after practices and games to actually adresss the media...
He's ok. Put up great numbers. But there's a lot of guys around who have put up mind blowing numbers in some seasons or strings of seasons.

I think he's comparable to forsberg.

Impossible to say for sure until he gets some healthy seasons in.

Theridion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 08:40 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theridion View Post
He's ok. Put up great numbers. But there's a lot of guys around who have put up mind blowing numbers in some seasons or strings of seasons.

I think he's comparable to forsberg.

Impossible to say for sure until he gets some healthy seasons in.
You say this like he's never played a full season.

StrangeVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 08:56 PM
FrozenJagrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeVision View Post
You say this like he's never played a full season.
Well technically he hasn't.

FrozenJagrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:56 PM
211*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAngryHank View Post
I don't recall Sakic flopping around on the ice.

Sakic or Stevie never took a dive.
yes but stevie kisses other men while on the bench........

211* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:59 PM
211*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzburgh87 View Post
I don't believe there has ever been a player as strong on the Puck as Crosby. Im sorry but he's just the master at it.
got to agree. crosbys puck protection skills are unmatched. yes i think better then jagrs as well

Old
07-05-2012, 03:01 PM
TheAngryHank
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 211 View Post
That gave me a good laugh.

TheAngryHank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 03:18 PM
211*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure View Post
Youve officially been nominated as biggest fanboy of all-time congrats.

Malkin is better right now.
malkin is pretty close offensively to crosby at times. but crosby overall brings far greater vision, far better better decision making. malkin always makes the dumbest pee wee type turnovers its horribly embarrassing. if crosby was doing this we d see 3 threads a day on here about it.

but no malkins not better. crosby was dominating the game at a higher level. 2 years ago then malkin did HAVING JAMES NEAL MAN! get real.(plus no dumb turnovers as well as being far better in his own zone) and when crosby came back he was clearly dominating more then malkin. he created way more scoring opportunities and made some absolute plugs score at a very high rate. i am pretty positive that during the 22 games both players were healthy, crosbys ppg will be higher. not to mention his goal scoring is still far from what it can be.

Last edited by 211*: 07-05-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Old
07-05-2012, 03:24 PM
211*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAngryHank View Post
That gave me a good laugh.
ahaha thats what it was intended for

Old
07-05-2012, 05:48 PM
sanitysrequiem

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
Marcel Dionne
I remember reading this comparison when Crosby was getting drafted. Has it held up? I never watched Dionne so I'm really not sure.

Actually, I'm not going to give an opinion on who is a comparable for Crosby, but I'll highlight his attributes that I have noticed from years of watching him and maybe someone who has watched more older players will find similarities.

Athleticism

I don't think there is a more athletic player in the league. Crosby excels in this area in terms of strength (especially lower body), balance, explosiveness, hand-eye coordination, reflexes, agility, skating ability, speed and endurance. It's a huge part of why he is so good.

Stick Skills

In contrast to many of the great players in the past, Crosby's stick skills have never been what he is known for. He has soft hands, and combined with his reflexes and hand-eye coordination (see above) he is highly effective. However, you're not going to see Sid go for looping toe-drags or wind up for a laser wrist shot. Instead, he keeps the puck close with unmatched control, and uses his skating and strength and this control to get past defenders (see the goal when he was one-on-one against Jay Bouwmeester).

As for his shot, Sid has developed a great snap shot with a quick release and good accuracy. He rarely goes for wrist or slap shots, which are definitely weaknesses, but his backhand shot is lethal, as good as many NHL players' wristers.

Around the Net and in Corners

As people has mentioned before, this is Crosby's bread and butter, due to his tenacity, athleticism (mentioned above) and vision (mentioned below). See how he took Jason Spezza for a ride and then made a pass to Letang, who scored. Sid wins most of his corner and behind the net battles, then has an uncanny way of finding the open man for a great scoring chance. Also, his high hockey IQ and great positioning gives him an advantage as he is usually in good position to put rebounds/tip-ins/loose pucks in the net. Which is helped by his incredibly quick and soft hands.

Decision Making, Vision, Playmaking and Awareness

Obviously an area of immense strength, but while Crosby may not have as high of a hockey IQ or as good vision as Gretzky or Lemieux, to me his decision making is his strength in this area. He seems to have that intangible ability to make snap decisions that usually turn out to be the best possible ones. The best example I can give of this is the"one-time passes" which he does every so often. Someone passes it to him, and without any hesitation he taps it to someone else who is in better scoring position, and the goalie and defense is just frozen in their tracks.

It's also uncanny how good his awareness is. He can "sense" the players around him which obviously helps his playmaking but also allows him to slip out of tough situations or avoid big checks.

Adaptability, Resourcefulness and Work Ethic

I feel this is also different from most superstars, in that once you see a player you can usually tell what you're going to get from him. Not with Crosby. He has shown that he can adapt and improve his game to fit any situation he is put in. Bad at faceoffs? No problem, he has become one of the premier faceoff men in the league. Terrible at shootouts? He fixed that too. Shot lacks acceleration and accuracy? Done, he became the Richard winner the next year. Put him on a line with Chris Kunitz and Stone Hands Dupuis? That's fine, he just gets 66 points in 41 games while playing the full sheet of ice.

In this area, I can feel confident in saying that there is no one that even comes close to Crosby.

So anyway, that's how I would sum up Crosby's hockey game. Anyone notice similarities to others that came before him? I personally think the guy's package is as unique as they come for a superstar. He's quite incredible.

sanitysrequiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:44 PM
211*

Quote:
Originally Posted by typicryptic View Post
I remember reading this comparison when Crosby was getting drafted. Has it held up? I never watched Dionne so I'm really not sure.

Actually, I'm not going to give an opinion on who is a comparable for Crosby, but I'll highlight his attributes that I have noticed from years of watching him and maybe someone who has watched more older players will find similarities.

Athleticism

I don't think there is a more athletic player in the league. Crosby excels in this area in terms of strength (especially lower body), balance, explosiveness, hand-eye coordination, reflexes, agility, skating ability, speed and endurance. It's a huge part of why he is so good.

Stick Skills

In contrast to many of the great players in the past, Crosby's stick skills have never been what he is known for. He has soft hands, and combined with his reflexes and hand-eye coordination (see above) he is highly effective. However, you're not going to see Sid go for looping toe-drags or wind up for a laser wrist shot. Instead, he keeps the puck close with unmatched control, and uses his skating and strength and this control to get past defenders (see the goal when he was one-on-one against Jay Bouwmeester).

As for his shot, Sid has developed a great snap shot with a quick release and good accuracy. He rarely goes for wrist or slap shots, which are definitely weaknesses, but his backhand shot is lethal, as good as many NHL players' wristers.

Around the Net and in Corners

As people has mentioned before, this is Crosby's bread and butter, due to his tenacity, athleticism (mentioned above) and vision (mentioned below). See how he took Jason Spezza for a ride and then made a pass to Letang, who scored. Sid wins most of his corner and behind the net battles, then has an uncanny way of finding the open man for a great scoring chance. Also, his high hockey IQ and great positioning gives him an advantage as he is usually in good position to put rebounds/tip-ins/loose pucks in the net. Which is helped by his incredibly quick and soft hands.

Decision Making, Vision, Playmaking and Awareness

Obviously an area of immense strength, but while Crosby may not have as high of a hockey IQ or as good vision as Gretzky or Lemieux, to me his decision making is his strength in this area. He seems to have that intangible ability to make snap decisions that usually turn out to be the best possible ones. The best example I can give of this is the"one-time passes" which he does every so often. Someone passes it to him, and without any hesitation he taps it to someone else who is in better scoring position, and the goalie and defense is just frozen in their tracks.

It's also uncanny how good his awareness is. He can "sense" the players around him which obviously helps his playmaking but also allows him to slip out of tough situations or avoid big checks.

Adaptability, Resourcefulness and Work Ethic

I feel this is also different from most superstars, in that once you see a player you can usually tell what you're going to get from him. Not with Crosby. He has shown that he can adapt and improve his game to fit any situation he is put in. Bad at faceoffs? No problem, he has become one of the premier faceoff men in the league. Terrible at shootouts? He fixed that too. Shot lacks acceleration and accuracy? Done, he became the Richard winner the next year. Put him on a line with Chris Kunitz and Stone Hands Dupuis? That's fine, he just gets 66 points in 41 games while playing the full sheet of ice.

In this area, I can feel confident in saying that there is no one that even comes close to Crosby.

So anyway, that's how I would sum up Crosby's hockey game. Anyone notice similarities to others that came before him? I personally think the guy's package is as unique as they come for a superstar. He's quite incredible.
pretty good summary.

Old
07-05-2012, 06:47 PM
mytor4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzburgh87 View Post
He has vision like Gretzky.
Nobody has or had vison like Gretz not even Sid.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:50 PM
mytor4*

Quote:
But neither plays with another players balls while on the ice.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 11:49 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAnnala View Post
Guys come on. You have been ridiculed time after time in this thread. Seriously, take this a little less serious and maybe you can see what people are actually saying.
I have?

And lolwut?

DyerMaker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 01:31 AM
LSnow

Quote:
malkin is pretty close offensively to crosby at times. but crosby overall brings far greater vision, far better better decision making. malkin always makes the dumbest pee wee type turnovers its horribly embarrassing. if crosby was doing this we d see 3 threads a day on here about it.

but no malkins not better. crosby was dominating the game at a higher level. 2 years ago then malkin did HAVING JAMES NEAL MAN! get real.(plus no dumb turnovers as well as being far better in his own zone) and when crosby came back he was clearly dominating more then malkin. he created way more scoring opportunities and made some absolute plugs score at a very high rate. i am pretty positive that during the 22 games both players were healthy, crosbys ppg will be higher. not to mention his goal scoring is still far from what it can be.
Crosby scores at 66 in 41 pace, huge circle jerk from Crosby fanboys.. Malkin does the same " Its not as impressive because its not Crosby!!!!!!!!!"

LSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 01:42 AM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagorim Jarg View Post
Peter Forsberg
Trottier as well but more talented offensively than those 2 while Trottier was the best defensively and Forsberg might have been the hardest to play against from start to finish.

Marcel Dionne comes to mind as well as Gretzky in that Sid shares his intense desire to be the best in every way possible and is also seen as the face of the NHL and is a class guy.

But really each player is very unique as well and these comps are very hard for top level players

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 02:48 AM
Human
cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSnow View Post
Crosby scores at 66 in 41 pace, huge circle jerk from Crosby fanboys.. Malkin does the same " Its not as impressive because its not Crosby!!!!!!!!!"
trade Malkin to the Capitals!!!

Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 04:05 AM
Villager
SMASHBROS2014

Colin fraser

Villager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 08:24 AM
aemoreira1981

In terms of his scoring, Peter Stastny (and that's not a bad thing, he had 1239 points in 977 NHL games despite not playing in the NHL until he was 23.) Stastny finished 450-789--1239 and had 1,000 points in the 1980s.

In terms of making his whole team better, however...not sure who to compare him to.

The problem with Crosby, of course is...can he stay off the injury report?

aemoreira1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 08:41 AM
NYRFANMANI
beyond good and evil

Christiano Ronaldo the soccer player.

Over the top skill-set, under the bridge mentality.

NYRFANMANI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 09:06 AM
TAnnala
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
I have?

And lolwut?
Yeah, i was talking about the guy who started this thread. You also missed my first point. But sorry, Didin't mean to be so straightforward.

TAnnala is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 09:44 AM
Wilma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagorim Jarg View Post
Peter Forsberg
Agree

Wilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 09:59 AM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauRoger View Post
like Peter Forsberg with a much better scoring touch and better durability but a little less skill and less raw power.
I know it's late but is he really more durable? Crosby's been in the league for 7 years and played 434 games. In Forsberg's first 7 years, he played 466 games. Crosby could end up being more durable or less durable, but as of now, they're pretty much even.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 10:17 AM
Wrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdawg1010 View Post
Ill say, he has the vision of gretzky
No. Nobody had/has as good vision as Gretzky, nobody.

Quote:
the skating ability of sakic
Okay sure? I mean... Sakic isn't like, the greatest skater ever. He's not overly quick nor explosive as a skater... so I guess you could say Crosby is as good or better than Sakic at skating?

[quotefinishing ability of Mario...[/QUOTE]

Not quite, although at least it's closer than the Gretzky comparison. Sid's put up over 50 goals in a season once (not counting partial season "on pace for"... because they're partial seasons). Which obviously is quite good. But... his 51 goal season can't compare to Lemieux's best seasons...

For comparison, even in the DPE era (after 94-95 lockout), Lemieux put up 69 goals in 70 games, then 50 goals in 70 games the year after. That's not even counting when he was at his peak (pre-DPE).

Wrath is offline   Reply With Quote