HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oscar Klefbom Thread | 10GP: 0G-3A-3PTS +7

Closed Thread

Old
08-14-2012, 02:53 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSwe View Post
Lee and Nygren are well known PP players. Lajunen probably the 3rd D and Klefa will most likely take the 4th D spot.
As long as he gets to play on the PP that's a good thing IMO. Maybe he works his way up as the season goes along? How does he look for the PP for the WJC squad?

08-15-2012, 05:00 AM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
I don't remember hearing him say we were pressuring him. Do you have a link?
The term "pressuring" can be slightly taken out of context and be received in a very negative way. They certainly have asked and implied it's in their best interests to have him here but also suggest that him playing another year over in Sweden will be good for his development. This is Sillinger speaking for the most part. They are intrigued and excited to see how he adjusts to the NA ice surface like all highly touted Euro prospects.
For those still curious as to whether Klefa will be joining the Oilers squad this year. This article should sum it up for you in you in three words. No he won`t.

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...id=DL|EDM|home

On the bright side he has guaranteed playing in Edmonton for the following year. It is a very mature and bright decision on his part to stay and play a starring role on the Farjestad squad. Likely receiving top 2 if not the most minutes defensively considering his great conditioning and adapt ability to eat minutes. This will be great for his development both mentally and physically. Making him more NHL ready to enduring a season long schedule and its strain on both the body and mind. As well as giving him potentially more PP experience and the confidence of a leading role.

As opposed to him making the jump much like Paajarvi simply because the fans want to see him and management wants to sell him. It makes more sense in this case to wait an additional year when the player is both physically and mentally more ready. Highly regarded Swedish prospects transitioning into excellent players in the past is a good indication of this.

Old
08-18-2012, 06:54 AM
SouthSwe

Alright so I watched the 5-2 win over Zurich Lions yesterday in our first European Trophy game.

Klefbom looked abit rusty out there. He paired up with Ole-Kristian Tollefsen that for certain will be our 1st or 2nd d pairing this season if they keep the same formations.

The team had a "hell week" of training while Oscar was in the US so that might be the reason he wasn't in as good shape as the others.

Klefa got a hooking penalty in the first period, loosing his stick in the same sequence and then blocked a shot which hit him in the forearm and caused him alot of pain. He did continue to play in the game tho.

Haven't heard any news about him so I think he will play tonights game against Zug aswell.

Edit: He also tried to hit a guy behind our net but the guy saw it coming and raised his shoulder to make a defensive tackle which sent Klefa flying

Last edited by SouthSwe: 08-18-2012 at 07:17 AM.
Old
08-18-2012, 07:10 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Alright so I watched the 5-2 win over Zurich Lions yesterday in our first European Trophy game.

Klefbom looked abit rusty out there. He paired up with Ole-Kristian Tollefsen that for certain will be our 1st or 2nd d pairing this season if they keep the same formations.

The team had a "hell week" of training while Oscar was in the US so that might be the reason he wasn't in as good shape as the others.

Klefa got a hooking penalty in the first period, loosing his stick in the same sequence and then blocked a shot which hit him in the forearm and caused him alot of pain. He did continue to play in the game tho.

Haven't heard any news about him so I think he will play tonights game against Zug aswell.
Thanks! Your reports are really appreciated!

Old
08-18-2012, 08:36 AM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

vCash: 50
Thanks for providing that link Grod! I didn't know that Klefbom was considered captain material (for the Junior's). Good to hear. I really like the sound of some of his quotes as well:

Quote:
It's a big thrill for me. I want to come over, but I don't want to feel like I'm not ready when I come over. It's real big step for me."
Quote:
Klefbom said he relishes the chance to wear the "C," and sees it as a tremendous honor -- and motivator.
"I like the responsibility to be captain," he said. "I know all the guys. I have lots of respect for them and they respect me as a captain. I think that's a positive thing for me, it brings me energy. I like it."
Quote:
"In the [WJC] every guy is so skilled, so every mistake you make, they punish you," he said. "You have to play with big confidence and you have to believe in yourself. Every guy is so skilled here. When we played against Russia in the finals it was such a small difference between every guy. You have to stay focused every time. One bad period can make a whole tournament go away.
The guy sounds pretty promising....and focused.....and talented. If the Oil keep picking these types of players, we have no where to go but up.

Also...what Fourier said, thanks SouthSwe. It's nice to hear from someone who watches the games AND knows hockey....even though it sounds like you're cheering for the wrong team.

Old
08-18-2012, 09:23 AM
SouthSwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
even though it sounds like you're cheering for the wrong team.
In what way?

Old
08-18-2012, 07:02 PM
SouthSwe

Lost 1-2 despite winning the shots 40-12.

Not much to say about Klefbom today. He was placed as 7th D in the lineups but played with Tollefsen again. We parked in Zug's defensive zone. Klefbom haven't played any PP's so far I think, but is playing in the first shorthanded pairing.

Old
08-18-2012, 08:23 PM
Jamin

Plugged in as the 7th dman. No wonder the Oilers wanted him to come over. It sounds like he has been playing but how many games dressed as the 7th dman before he starts to sit

Old
08-18-2012, 08:27 PM
SouthSwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin View Post
Plugged in as the 7th dman. No wonder the Oilers wanted him to come over. It sounds like he has been playing but how many games dressed as the 7th dman before he starts to sit
Someone has to be 7th d man and he is the one that has been away from the team lately. Doesn't mean anything as we roll on all 7 D's anyway.

Old
08-18-2012, 10:09 PM
N5991989
Oilers Fan

It is just concerning as Oilers fans because we want him to play big minutes. If he came over he could either make the team or play big minutes in the AHL so we just wanted the best for him.

Old
08-18-2012, 10:39 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

He's not old enough to play in the A I thought.

Old
08-18-2012, 10:58 PM
N5991989
Oilers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
He's not old enough to play in the A I thought.
I am pretty sure that only applies to CHL players.

Old
08-18-2012, 11:05 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Someone has to be 7th d man and he is the one that has been away from the team lately. Doesn't mean anything as we roll on all 7 D's anyway.
Yes someone has to be, but if it's Klefbom you will be seeing a lot of pissed off Oilers fans and Oilers brass IMO. He's already gone through this dog and pony show last year which was frustrating enough, if it happens again I'd like to see the Oilers convince him to come and play in the AHL this season (or even the CHL if any team has his rights there). I understand that the SEL is not a developmental league, but it'd sure be nice to see him playing top 4 minutes and on the PP, at least on the 2nd unit.

Old
08-18-2012, 11:25 PM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Yes someone has to be, but if it's Klefbom you will be seeing a lot of pissed off Oilers fans and Oilers brass IMO. He's already gone through this dog and pony show last year which was frustrating enough, if it happens again I'd like to see the Oilers convince him to come and play in the AHL this season (or even the CHL if any team has his rights there). I understand that the SEL is not a developmental league, but it'd sure be nice to see him playing top 4 minutes and on the PP, at least on the 2nd unit.
Or maybe he can earn the ice time the good ol' fashioned way....hard work.

Old
08-18-2012, 11:51 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Or maybe he can earn the ice time the good ol' fashioned way....hard work.
He's a 19 year old in a professional league, asking him to beat out seasoned vets for top 4 minutes isn't exactly fair for his development.

He could get consistent top 4 minutes in the AHL, and I don't think he'd have a problem proving he is worthy of those minutes.

Hopefully he has been away from the team a bit and will get more consistent minutes as we go along, but he's not going to develop and be ready for the NHL next year if he's playing as the 7th D on a nightly basis.

Old
08-19-2012, 04:13 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

The facts are that the SEL is a very good pro league and older vets are going to get more minutes than younger players with limited experience.

I think even if he came over to NA and went to the AHL, they'd likely work him in somewhat slowly. Even in OKC there is somewhat of a hierarchy as well... you do need to earn your time no matter where you play.

I'd say give it some time and see how he does. He obviously likes playing in Sweden and no doubt he trains hard and works hard no matter where he plays so it's not as if he's not developing over there at all.

I would say give it some time and see how it goes before saying it's a lost cause and that he'll be stuck in that #7 role all year.

Last edited by nexttothemoon: 08-19-2012 at 04:19 AM.
Old
08-19-2012, 04:17 AM
OiledUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
He's a 19 year old in a professional league, asking him to beat out seasoned vets for top 4 minutes isn't exactly fair for his development.

He could get consistent top 4 minutes in the AHL, and I don't think he'd have a problem proving he is worthy of those minutes.

Hopefully he has been away from the team a bit and will get more consistent minutes as we go along, but he's not going to develop and be ready for the NHL next year if he's playing as the 7th D on a nightly basis.
Don't worry, he will get top 4 minutes this year(unless ofc there is a lock out and he get's buried behind a bunch of NHL stars).
He's missed some time with the team as stated by SouthSwe earlier and these are just warm up games so no need to get worried.

Old
08-19-2012, 12:03 PM
Oi'll say!

Klefbom being the #7 after missing training camp last week is no surprise, him being in the states and missing the tc is what's surprising. Why was he there instead of at tc? Is he an idiot?

Old
08-19-2012, 12:43 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post
Klefbom being the #7 after missing training camp last week is no surprise, him being in the states and missing the tc is what's surprising. Why was he there instead of at tc? Is he an idiot?
Probably WJC camp.

Old
08-19-2012, 12:48 PM
wings5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post
Lake Placid u20 tournament

Old
08-19-2012, 01:10 PM
SouthSwe

Let's just start the season guys, before making any conclusions about where he will play.

Like I've said earlier. We have had a 2 week training camp of intense training while Klefa was in the states.
As the creators of the European Trophy our GM have stated that we this year is trying our best to win both the ET-tournament(no one really cares about this tournament tho, 1500 attendance and so on) and the Swedish Elite League.

And when Oscar have missed both the training camp and earlier pre season games it's not that surprising that he's not dominating and playing 25 minutes a game is it?
Remember that he also in the first of the two games this weekend blocked a shot with his arm that caused him alot of pain.
Might have had some to do with him being 7th D in the 2nd game.

Also remember that we have been dominating both games so far. Won the first one 5-2, playing really good. Losing the 2nd but winning the shots 40-12.
Klefa with lack of training won't just step in and be the first D in a team that plays very good atm.

We're in the middle of august! No reason to panic my friends
Next game is the 25th against Adler Mannheim in Germany.

Old
08-19-2012, 01:33 PM
The Bored Man

vCash: 537
I'd wait until a few games into the season before judging his stay in Sweden as a mistake. He missed training camp so you can't really expect him to be on the top pair in his first few games back. Given his progress last season I'd be very surprised if he doesn't play his way to a prominent role soon.

Old
08-19-2012, 03:57 PM
Jamin

Quote:
Let's just start the season guys, before making any conclusions about where he will play.

Like I've said earlier. We have had a 2 week training camp of intense training while Klefa was in the states.
As the creators of the European Trophy our GM have stated that we this year is trying our best to win both the ET-tournament(no one really cares about this tournament tho, 1500 attendance and so on) and the Swedish Elite League.

And when Oscar have missed both the training camp and earlier pre season games it's not that surprising that he's not dominating and playing 25 minutes a game is it?
Remember that he also in the first of the two games this weekend blocked a shot with his arm that caused him alot of pain.
Might have had some to do with him being 7th D in the 2nd game.

Also remember that we have been dominating both games so far. Won the first one 5-2, playing really good. Losing the 2nd but winning the shots 40-12.
Klefa with lack of training won't just step in and be the first D in a team that plays very good atm.

We're in the middle of august! No reason to panic my friends
Next game is the 25th against Adler Mannheim in Germany.
Does it have to be dominating 25 minutes a game versus 7th dman with limited ice time. There is no middle ground, second paring with a little bit of pp time.

Its my one complaint with swedish players is remaining in a league that isnt in their best interest as players, maybe its loyalty or just scared to come over?. At lest in the AHL we know at worst he would be devloping and at best he would be a major part of the AHL team whereas in the SEL at best he can play second pairing minutes while vets get top minutes and at worst is the 7th dman or scratched.

Too early to panic, you guys know more then me so hopefully it is just because he missed training camp and by mid season he will be playing 15-20 minutes a game. Any more then that is just a bonus

Old
08-19-2012, 07:31 PM
N5991989
Oilers Fan

Didn't Klefa jump to top pairing a bit last year with Brodin?

Old
08-20-2012, 12:10 PM
SouthSwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by teganandsara View Post
Didn't Klefa jump to top pairing a bit last year with Brodin?
He did yes.

Closed Thread