HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oscar Klefbom Thread | 10GP: 0G-3A-3PTS +7

Closed Thread

Old
09-16-2012, 03:31 PM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OiledUp View Post
Klefbom played over 25 minutes in Färjestads 2-1 OT win vs AIK today, most on the team by about 4 mins, played all situations. I only saw parts of the game but he looked solid, such a great skater, great with his stick as well, imo he looks like the best d man on the team. I stand by my predicition of him playing the WC this spring.
Did he get much PP time? If so which unit was he on?

09-16-2012, 03:39 PM
OiledUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Did he get much PP time? If so which unit was he on?
Didn't see the whole game so SouthSwe will probably correct me if I'm wrong but he didn't seem to get too much PP time, he's not on the first unit as far as I could see.
I doubt he'll ever really break out offensively, doesn't really have the instincts, at least that's how I see it. Can probably be an ok option in a PP2 unit but will never put up big numbers. But he could become a great two way d man who can move the puck into the o zone with both a good first pass and by carrying the puck over the ice with his great skating ability. This is ofc early predictions.

Old
09-16-2012, 03:47 PM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by OiledUp View Post
Didn't see the whole game so SouthSwe will probably correct me if I'm wrong but he didn't seem to get too much PP time, he's not on the first unit as far as I could see.
I doubt he'll ever really break out offensively, doesn't really have the instincts, at least that's how I see it. Can probably be an ok option in a PP2 unit but will never put up big numbers. But he could become a great two way d man who can move the puck into the o zone with both a good first pass and by carrying the puck over the ice with his great skating ability. This is ofc early predictions.
Thanks for the summary. Even if he isn't a top PP option later we will have Schultz and Petry covering the RH shot on the point, if we're lucky maybe one of Marincin, Gernat, or Laleggia becomes the LH shot from the point unless we continue to roll with 4 forwards and 1 point man.

Old
09-16-2012, 04:02 PM
OiledUp

Quote:
Thanks for the summary. Even if he isn't a top PP option later we will have Schultz and Petry covering the RH shot on the point, if we're lucky maybe one of Marincin, Gernat, or Laleggia becomes the LH shot from the point unless we continue to roll with 4 forwards and 1 point man.
If he continues the trajectory he's on at this moment I think we're going to be more than happy with him.

He might turn into one of those players that people who see him often hold in high high regard, but people who only see him a few times a year and is blinded by stats (aka a lot of posters on HfBoards...) will undervalue greatly thus creating a lot of arguing with other fanbases about how we overrate Klefbom...

Old
09-16-2012, 04:16 PM
SouthSwe

Klefbom did play in PP1 aswell as in shorthanded. Tho he was probably just stand in for Chris Lee who became a father earlier and therefore missed the game.

Oscar had two good runs with the puck from our own zone in the same shift and also had quite good scoring chance in the 2nd period but the shot went wide.
He made a few pokechecks in important situations, one pretty much saving a goal.

25.17, 2 shots on goal and 2 wide. +1 and -1. No hits.

Old
09-16-2012, 04:31 PM
OiledUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSwe View Post
Klefbom did play in PP1 aswell as in shorthanded. Tho he was probably just stand in for Chris Lee who became a father earlier and therefore missed the game.

Oscar had two good runs with the puck from our own zone in the same shift and also had quite good scoring chance in the 2nd period but the shot went wide.
He made a few pokechecks in important situations, one pretty much saving a goal.

25.17, 2 shots on goal and 2 wide. +1 and -1. No hits.
Ok, so he played PP1, I stand corrected. I did see him on the PP but I got the impression it was PP2, but there you go. And yeah his pokechecks are a thing of beauty.

Old
09-16-2012, 04:34 PM
ales83fan

+1 and -1.... I like this guy. A real risk taker.

Jokes aside, I can't wait to see what happens with him. He is a first round pick, let's not forget

Old
09-16-2012, 04:54 PM
SouthSwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ales83fan View Post
+1 and -1.... I like this guy. A real risk taker.

Jokes aside, I can't wait to see what happens with him. He is a first round pick, let's not forget
It was a 2 on 1 against Klefbom if I remember it correctly. Nothing he cud do really. A saucer pass to the other side and boom.

Old
09-16-2012, 06:39 PM
Krigaren*

Quote:
It was a 2 on 1 against Klefbom if I remember it correctly. Nothing he cud do really. A saucer pass to the other side and boom.
He could have done an anti saucer block.. but those are rare!

Old
09-16-2012, 11:16 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

I know it's hard to give comparables at this early stage of his career... but what type of dman do you think Klefbom is trending towards?

Paul Martin?
Chris Phillips?
Brad Stuart?

Old
09-16-2012, 11:49 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
I know it's hard to give comparables at this early stage of his career... but what type of dman do you think Klefbom is trending towards?

Paul Martin?
Chris Phillips?
Brad Stuart?
Just from the limited viewings I have seen at the U18s and the WJCs, I would say he is already more physical and imposing than a guy like Martin who plays more positional defense, similar to Phillips.

Stuart or Phillips is probably closer, but not perfect a comparison. I have a tough time remembering back how good of a skater either of those guys were at that age, but Klefbom skates very well for a guy his size.

I'll try to think of a comparable, but it's not all that easy since he is someone none of us (besides some of the Swedish posters) have seen more than a handful of times.

Old
09-16-2012, 11:59 PM
ales83fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
Just from the limited viewings I have seen at the U18s and the WJCs, I would say he is already more physical and imposing than a guy like Martin who plays more positional defense, similar to Phillips.

Stuart or Phillips is probably closer, but not perfect a comparison. I have a tough time remembering back how good of a skater either of those guys were at that age, but Klefbom skates very well for a guy his size.

I'll try to think of a comparable, but it's not all that easy since he is someone none of us (besides some of the Swedish posters) have seen more than a handful of times.
a softer Alex Edler?

Old
09-17-2012, 12:17 AM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ales83fan View Post
a softer Alex Edler?
Well, I would say I didn't see any of the big hits that Edler delivers on occasion, but I have only seen him a handful of times so not sure if that is in his game.

He is already about 6'3 210 IIRC, maybe slightly off on the weight, but he's definitely a big body that skates well so I don't see why he couldn't develop that part of his game on the smaller ice surface.

Old
09-17-2012, 12:28 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Well, I would say I didn't see any of the big hits that Edler delivers on occasion, but I have only seen him a handful of times so not sure if that is in his game.
My favorite Edler hit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j19FwazP64U

Gotta admit I like Edler - in spite of the team of gutless crybabies he plays on and the cheap shot he laid on Hall.

If Klefbom turns into anything like Edler we are laughing.

Old
09-17-2012, 04:16 AM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
My favorite Edler hit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j19FwazP64U

Gotta admit I like Edler - in spite of the team of gutless crybabies he plays on and the cheap shot he laid on Hall.

If Klefbom turns into anything like Edler we are laughing.
I had a lot of respect for Edler until last season. That said I'd still take him on my team. The way things are shaping up it looks like our LD will be the defensive stalwarts and our RD will be the more capable offensive guys.

Old
09-17-2012, 01:10 PM
SouthSwe

From the first game. Not much but atleast something
Klefa is as always the green #7.

Old
09-17-2012, 01:16 PM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
From the first game. Not much but atleast something
Klefa is as always the green #7.

Thanks for that, that was great!

Nice hit to create that goal out of nothing, and then a great display of speed and solid defensive positioning to nullify what could've been a partial breakaway.

Old
09-17-2012, 03:28 PM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
Quote:

Nice hit to create that goal out of nothing, and then a great display of speed and solid defensive positioning to nullify what could've been a partial breakaway.
The second play was really solid. I really look forward to seeing this kid suit up for the Oilers.

Old
09-17-2012, 06:19 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
The second play was really solid. I really look forward to seeing this kid suit up for the Oilers.
Yup, he played that perfectly.

Old
09-17-2012, 06:52 PM
SDig14

Quote:

And people wonder why we are excited about this kid coming over next year?

He is the best D prospect we have drafted in a long time IMO.

Old
09-17-2012, 08:56 PM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
Yeah that was a great defensive play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Yup, he played that perfectly.
Yup, he used his skating, size, positioning, and reach to break that up.

Quote:
And people wonder why we are excited about this kid coming over next year?

He is the best D prospect we have drafted in a long time IMO.
It'll be interesting to see how good he'll be in his prime, besides him and Petry we really haven't drafted too many high end D prospects lately.

Old
09-19-2012, 09:14 AM
Baggers

Sort of an aside, but I thought this was best posted here.

Just read Chicago's newest prospect report on HF, and it reminded me of how gutted most Oilers fans (myself included) were when Chicago grabbed Mark McNeill (the big potential 2nd line C the team so desperately needed) and the team then "settled on" Klefbom.

One year later?

I know it's only HF's ratings (which are extremely unreliable), but I doubt most NHL GMs would trade Klefbom for McNeill straight up at the moment.

Old
09-19-2012, 03:25 PM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=641865

Nice little write up.

Old
09-19-2012, 04:57 PM
cheesed-off*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangers View Post
Sort of an aside, but I thought this was best posted here.

Just read Chicago's newest prospect report on HF, and it reminded me of how gutted most Oilers fans (myself included) were when Chicago grabbed Mark McNeill (the big potential 2nd line C the team so desperately needed) and the team then "settled on" Klefbom.

One year later?

I know it's only HF's ratings (which are extremely unreliable), but I doubt most NHL GMs would trade Klefbom for McNeill straight up at the moment.
Great post - I was just going to mention this. I remember MBS and MBTambo having this D'OH look on their faces when Chicago made that pick. Hehehe swee-hee-hee-heeeeet...

Old
09-20-2012, 12:43 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

I'm still loving the fact that he is getting another year to develop, and in a #1 roll. Frankly, I also really like that Schultz will likely get a bit of time in the AHL before jumping right into the pro game at the NHL level.

The Potential (key word) of the core of Smid, Petry, Klefbom and Schultz is so underrated.

Closed Thread