HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oscar Klefbom Thread | 10GP: 0G-3A-3PTS +7

Closed Thread

Old
02-16-2013, 01:03 PM
Harley

vCash: 500
After seeing all our stars (well except Shultz) struggle so much after being on the farm to start the year I'm not going to automatically assume that this is the best route to go for top end prospects.

Yes, like most of you, I thought about the positives. Especially for Euros. You learn to play on a smaller rink,
you adjust to a more physical style of game, learn to handle the goon aspect, adjust to North America, customs, language etc.

But Im starting to wonder if it can be a detriment too. All our young stars are struggling. I wonder if they all didn't lower the bar on their overall game just because they were quick learners and adjusted, maybe even without knowing it, to a lesser speed and talent level, up to and including goalies you need to beat to score.

I'm starting to rethink this a bit. For Klefbom, who is already a pro playing in a league that may be of higher quality than the AHL, it may be better off to just throw him into the deep end and let his own natural learning curve let him adapt to the NHL game right from the outset.

Not sure there is a right or wrong. Everybody will be different. But after this year Im not convinced that starting a guy in the AHL is always the best way to go.

Just a thought.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:04 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by jukon View Post
Don't forget about Marincin. I really wonder how things will play out in training camp next year. I expect to see only one of Marincin/Klefbom make the team. With all the talk of Klefa, Marty seems to be taking a back seat. I hope they both fight hard for that spot, but I can see Marincin starting the in the NHL next year and Klefbom starting in the AHL, but likely coming up by the end.
I can't see Marincin making it next year. He'd be too much of a liability. We'll probably either stick with Potter or Peckham until Klefbom's ready, or sign a stop gap like Murray/Rozsival/Regehr to play bottom pairing and give Klefa a full year in the AHL (and call him up when someone gets injured)

Old
02-16-2013, 01:08 PM
Arpeggio

I remember the comments about his draft interview as well, so I'll back up hemsky on that.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:11 PM
dixs35

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by jukon View Post
Don't forget about Marincin. I really wonder how things will play out in training camp next year. I expect to see only one of Marincin/Klefbom make the team. With all the talk of Klefa, Marty seems to be taking a back seat. I hope they both fight hard for that spot, but I can see Marincin starting the in the NHL next year and Klefbom starting in the AHL, but likely coming up by the end.
IMO when you draft guys like Marincin and Gernat they are long term prospects. Marincin may get a couple cups of coffee in his ELC but I don't believe he will make any kind of impact until his 3rd year of pro. Gernat will probably be on his 2nd contract if he ever makes an impact. I have high hopes for both of these guys, I just believe they are on a 4 to 5 year plan. I hope they get 150 to 200 AHL games to round out their game.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:15 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
I remember the comments about his draft interview as well, so I'll back up hemsky on that.
The comments only came from extemely paranoid Oiler fans who freak out over every litte comment when in reality, there was much ado about nothing.

As far as Philly85's comments about Klefbom not being physical. SouthSwe and a few others who watched him late last season and this season said that he was noticeably more physical and was consistently outmuscling forwards off the puck.
However, the amount of injuries that he has suffered is concerned but he looks plenty strong enough physically to recover fully.

Last edited by CupofOil: 02-16-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Old
02-16-2013, 01:33 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
I remember comments like that about Yakupov, Hemsky, Hall, RNH... Just because there are uber paranoid Oiler fans out there doesnt mean anything with regards to players and their desire to play in Edmonton.

Old
02-16-2013, 02:52 PM
OiledUp

After seeing Klefboms' play after the WJC last season and the start of this season I'm pretty confident he'll start with the big club and stick unless he completely screws up his transition to the NA game. But I think he's to smart of a player to do that.
Ofc his injury could hold him back and there are always unknown factors that are difficult to predict but if I were to make a guess I'd say he'll play with the big boys all year. The kid's good. Real good. Apart from offensive instincts and high end stickhandling he's pretty much got everything you need.

Old
02-16-2013, 03:13 PM
Spawn

Nothing wrong with having him spend a time in the AHL. Heck, even the year in the AHL wouldn't be the end of the world.

I'm not sure he will be more than a Ladislav Smid at the NHL level, but if you can get a #4 d-man in the 10-20 range of a draft that is a win.

Old
02-16-2013, 03:17 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
The Oilers have always proven that they're willing to have a player start for the NHL team if he's ready. The only question is whether or not he'll be ready. If the jump in quality to the NHL is too much, the change in the European/NA leagues affects him, or if his injury has stalled/delayed his development and he has to spend the year in OKC, then so be it.

02-16-2013, 03:20 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossy joe View Post
i don't see klefbom's offence translating to the NHL. i see him as a less offensive hedman type.
His offense will translate no problem.

He doesn't score in the SEL, and they don't give out negative points in the NHL, it evens everything out.

Old
02-16-2013, 04:04 PM
misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
After seeing all our stars (well except Shultz) struggle so much after being on the farm to start the year I'm not going to automatically assume that this is the best route to go for top end prospects.
The only struggling they're doing is on the scoresheet. They aren't any less effective at generating scoring chances.

Eberle is a career 15.4% shooter scoring at a 7.3% rate
Hall is a career 12.5% shooter scoring at a 6.1% rate
Nuge is a career 13.4% shooter scoring at a rate of 0% (4% if he scored on his next shot)

Eberle averaged 2.3 shots/game until this year. Now he's averaging 3.2
Hall averaged 3.1 shots/game until this year. Now he's averaging 3.8
RNH averaged 2.2 shots/game last year. Now he's averaging 2.0

Eberle had 42 assists last year in 78 games. He's on pace for 36 in 78 this season.
Hall had 26 assists last year in 61 games. He's on pace for 42 in 61 this season.
Nuge had 34 assists last year in 62 games. He's on pace for 31 in 62 this season.

The "struggling stars" are putting up better or the same offensive numbers that they've always put up in every area other than shooting percentage. Those shooting percentages are less than half of what they've done to this point in their careers across the board. That's more bad luck than anything, and certainly not a result of playing in the AHL. The AHL didn't somehow make them all worse shooters. The AHL isn't the reason RNH has missed the net 1.25 times per game. The nets are the same size in the AHL as they are in the majors.

Old
02-16-2013, 05:47 PM
Harley

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
The only struggling they're doing is on the scoresheet. They aren't any less effective at generating scoring chances.

Eberle is a career 15.4% shooter scoring at a 7.3% rate
Hall is a career 12.5% shooter scoring at a 6.1% rate
Nuge is a career 13.4% shooter scoring at a rate of 0% (4% if he scored on his next shot)

Eberle averaged 2.3 shots/game until this year. Now he's averaging 3.2
Hall averaged 3.1 shots/game until this year. Now he's averaging 3.8
RNH averaged 2.2 shots/game last year. Now he's averaging 2.0

Eberle had 42 assists last year in 78 games. He's on pace for 36 in 78 this season.
Hall had 26 assists last year in 61 games. He's on pace for 42 in 61 this season.
Nuge had 34 assists last year in 62 games. He's on pace for 31 in 62 this season.

The "struggling stars" are putting up better or the same offensive numbers that they've always put up in every area other than shooting percentage. Those shooting percentages are less than half of what they've done to this point in their careers across the board. That's more bad luck than anything, and certainly not a result of playing in the AHL. The AHL didn't somehow make them all worse shooters. The AHL isn't the reason RNH has missed the net 1.25 times per game. The nets are the same size in the AHL as they are in the majors.
Well, like I said, part of the problem might be that they adjusted to less stellar goaltending. You can trot out any old stats you want, but first line players have to carry the mail. They aren't. And to just shrug off that their stint in the AHL had absolutely no bearing on that is guessing just as much as me saying it did.

Old
02-17-2013, 01:37 PM
lakai17

from the 2014 Swedish defenceman poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regal View Post
Any Swedes care to weight in on any possible non-NHL players? It seems there's usually a couple from the Swedish elite league chosen as well. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveeviL View Post
Usually Sweden have had a mix of SEL guys, but I think there might have been a paradigm shift in two ways here (structural and actor wise) away from SEL-dependence.

First (actor), the Swedish management is more NHL friendly now than it has been under especially BÅ Gustavsson. Secondly (structure), there is a lot more young Swedish players in AHL/NHL now than it has been so those one would have picked from Sweden in the past are already in America now.

But to just mention one guy I could see Oscar Klefbom being an alternative (there are others around here who knows this better than me). Rather fast but still not small, used to international rink, puts up points without being a defensive liability.

Old
02-17-2013, 02:59 PM
Hynh

The big question with Klefbom (and, God forbid, Seth Jones) is do you bet the entire season on him stepping in as a top 4 D or even an NHL option? The current top four (assuming Smid is re-signed) is OK but isn't exactly spectacular. If the Oilers defence is going to be respectable it has to be a group of players that can all move up a spot in case of injury.

Old
02-17-2013, 06:44 PM
Oiled up*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
I remember comments like that about Yakupov, Hemsky, Hall, RNH... Just because there are uber paranoid Oiler fans out there doesnt mean anything with regards to players and their desire to play in Edmonton.
People didn't want to play here because all they had to do was look @ the roster and know it had no chance to do anything and was a disaster.

I'm positive our players love playing here.

Old
03-15-2013, 06:10 PM
SouthSwe

Latest news is that Klefbom might play if we reach the final.
He needs Oilers approval tho, but he said he wants to play.

We're 2-0 in the quarterfinal atm.

Old
03-15-2013, 07:32 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Nothing wrong with having him spend a time in the AHL. Heck, even the year in the AHL wouldn't be the end of the world.

I'm not sure he will be more than a Ladislav Smid at the NHL level, but if you can get a #4 d-man in the 10-20 range of a draft that is a win.
I think he's upside is higher than Smid, but I would not be too upset if Smid is all becomes.

Old
03-15-2013, 07:36 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hynh View Post
The big question with Klefbom (and, God forbid, Seth Jones) is do you bet the entire season on him stepping in as a top 4 D or even an NHL option? The current top four (assuming Smid is re-signed) is OK but isn't exactly spectacular. If the Oilers defence is going to be respectable it has to be a group of players that can all move up a spot in case of injury.
They need to sign a legit top 4 d-man regardless of whether they draft Jones and whether Klefbom is ready next year or not. If we end up having somewhat of a log-jam at D, Klefbom goes to the AHL and is a first call-up.
Whitney and Peckham can walk. Potter I don't care about. If they can trade him for futures--great. If not, buy him out or let him ride AHL buses for one year.

Petry-Smid
J.Schultz-X
N.Schultz-Klefbom/Jones
Fistric

Old
03-15-2013, 07:43 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
As long as he's healthy. It'd be good for him to get a little extra gametime in this year

Old
03-15-2013, 08:18 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
As long as he's healthy. It'd be good for him to get a little extra gametime in this year
Yes, there's nothing wrong with Klefbom playing if he's healthy, plus playoff situations are good for a developing player.

Old
03-15-2013, 08:20 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Could we see him in OKC at some point then? IMO it'd be a good thing for his development to get some games in on this side of the pond if he can.

03-15-2013, 08:23 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Could we see him in OKC at some point then? IMO it'd be a good thing for his development to get some games in on this side of the pond if he can.
I'd say more likely, if they choose him and he's healthy, he would be headed to the WHC, which would be as good or better then the AHL.

Old
03-15-2013, 09:20 PM
N5991989
Oilers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I'd say more likely, if they choose him and he's healthy, he would be headed to the WHC, which would be as good or better then the AHL.
Yeah that is the first choice if not training and practicing with the Barons in the playoffs would be good as well. Martin Marinčin did it last season and I think it helped him prepare for the season in the AHL this year.

Old
03-16-2013, 03:39 PM
Krigaren*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSwe View Post
Latest news is that Klefbom might play if we reach the final.
He needs Oilers approval tho, but he said he wants to play.

We're 2-0 in the quarterfinal atm.
It sounded on Klefbom that he was ready to play, but edmonton was standing in his way and he had to travel to edmonton in order to get clearance..
He even said he was ready to play now against modo :p

Old
03-16-2013, 05:00 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Glad to hear he's healing up well.

Closed Thread