HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oscar Klefbom Thread | 10GP: 0G-3A-3PTS +7

Closed Thread

Old
07-05-2012, 12:06 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
IMO it's something to consider. We don't NEED to have 2 green rookies on the blueline next year or potentially 2 sophomore slumps on the blueline 2 years from now. Hell as good as OEL is he didn't spend his first year entirely in the NHL. Break in Schultz this year and Klefbom next year.
Not really, it's a nice problem to have if they are all SO good you have to pay them.

Sophomore slumps? Really?

If they are good enough to be there, good enough to contribute, then I don't care how old they are.

Now I don't want Schultz and Klefbom to be the "Top-Pair", but if they are both good enough to be there, then there's no reason they shouldn't be.

You can "What if" your self to death with all kinds of "worst case scenarios" or you can see what your players can actually do themselves.

I sincerely hope Klefbom comes to camp, and if he's good enough I hope he makes the team. If he has to go back after 9 games, so what, you had a look. If he sticks even better, because that should mean that he's BEEN good enough to stick.

Old
07-05-2012, 12:21 AM
pocketful
"We'll see"

As much as I'd love to see Klefbom play here I want him to do what HE thinks is best for himself. He has said a lot of times that he will come when he feels ready. So, if he is hesitating, stay in Sweden. If he feels he is ready, get ready to challenge for a roster spot. To me it feels like he wants to play 1 more season in Sweden. I hope management is not pushing him to come over.

Old
07-05-2012, 01:18 AM
T-Funk

Sometimes you might just hesitate because you are nervous and it's a new league for you to get used to. I have a feeling experienced coaches, scouts, and management teams have a little more insight than the rookie themselves.

He already belongs to the Oilers, there's no reason to blow smoke up his ass unless they actually think he's ready.

Old
07-05-2012, 02:38 AM
pocketful
"We'll see"

Well, in an expression that I have come to associate with Klefbom: we'll see.

Old
08-07-2012, 08:13 PM
the pen is mightier

Was on the Sweden board last night-this morning, actually not sure when, just finished a 35 hours shift. Anyways, looks like swedens wjc hopefuls are practicing/playing some friendlies. I'm not overly coherent right now, but if someone in a better state of mind has any info, it would be great.

Link http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1075651

Last edited by the pen is mightier: 08-07-2012 at 08:35 PM.
Old
08-10-2012, 05:43 PM
SouthSwe

Sweden playing Finland tonight. 5-1 after 2 periods. Klefbom with a goal. Don't have any other stats.

Old
08-10-2012, 05:48 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Did he shoot it through the heart of the Finnish goalie?

Old
08-10-2012, 06:04 PM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSwe View Post
Sweden playing Finland tonight. 5-1 after 2 periods. Klefbom with a goal. Don't have any other stats.
Nice, if he's not in the NHL this year (I hope that he's not) he should be absolutely dominant at the WJC level assuming that Sweden ices a decent team around him.

08-10-2012, 06:11 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

Quote:
Nice, if he's not in the NHL this year (I hope that he's not) he should be absolutely dominant at the WJC level assuming that Sweden ices a decent team around him.
If he's good enough, then he'll earn his spot. Ugh, why is this hard to understand.

Old
08-10-2012, 09:53 PM
zeus3007*

He may come to camp with no intention of staying in the NHL. Its hard to say. Honestly, I'm not sure if the Oilers are ready for him anyway, although I'd love to see what he can do here.

Old
08-10-2012, 10:07 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

This thread isn't about how good looking certain NHL players are.

Old
08-10-2012, 10:44 PM
Mikey71

The way the OIL are being built, I would actually prefer he stay in Sweden 1 more year. There is so much, bordering on too much youth on the team right now. On defence, Schultz is a rookie likely to make it and Petry is still pretty green. IMHO give those 2 guys the responsibility curve this year and let Klefbom take that next step in a pretty good situation over in Sweden. I think his 2nd half this past year had a great deal to do with where he was and how he was brought along. Don't change a good thing if we really don't need to this year.

Old
08-10-2012, 11:32 PM
cheesed-off*

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
This thread isn't about how good looking certain NHL players are.
Wha...? I could have sworn there were some posts in here on that topic...or was that another thread ?

What gives ?

Old
08-11-2012, 12:02 AM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
If he's good enough, then he'll earn his spot. Ugh, why is this hard to understand.
So who does he bump off the team? Whitney? Nope. Petry? Nope. J. Schultz? Nope. Smid? Nope. N. Schultz? Nope. Sutton? Probably not and if he does then congrats he's the team's 6th/7th defenseman with no PP time. Yeah that's development 101 right there. Leave him in Sweden where he can work on the PP, PK, and get top pairing minutes, then next year maybe he steps in as a top 4 guy if Whitney walks or we cut ties with him. If not then he will most certainly be better than Sutton/Peckham/whatever else we have as our #6/#7.

Old
08-11-2012, 05:18 AM
SouthSwe

Thought it was already confirmed he will stay in Sweden for another year. Atleast the Färjestad coaches say so.

Old
08-11-2012, 08:22 AM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
So who does he bump off the team? Whitney? Nope. Petry? Nope. J. Schultz? Nope. Smid? Nope. N. Schultz? Nope. Sutton? Probably not and if he does then congrats he's the team's 6th/7th defenseman with no PP time. Yeah that's development 101 right there. Leave him in Sweden where he can work on the PP, PK, and get top pairing minutes, then next year maybe he steps in as a top 4 guy if Whitney walks or we cut ties with him. If not then he will most certainly be better than Sutton/Peckham/whatever else we have as our #6/#7.
The guy has an underwhelmingly large and accurate shot that he loves to direct oppositely against the grain, look out. For real. He shuts the best down quickly and aggressively. Great puck moving transitioner. Makes simple mistakes. Just when you think the game may be in turmoil or slightly underwhelming he will start getting more important ice time and control the neutral zone. Everything is an afterthought. That's it. This kid can skate.

Old
08-11-2012, 10:37 AM
Freudian slips

Quote:
The fact is, we dont know what we have yet with this kid. He should come to camp and see where he fits. But, I agree with JJ...if Kleif is good enough to play then he should stay. You seem to have no problem giving J Shultz ice. We dont know how good he really is yet either until we see everyone at TC.

Old
08-11-2012, 12:24 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian slips View Post
The fact is, we dont know what we have yet with this kid. He should come to camp and see where he fits. But, I agree with JJ...if Kleif is good enough to play then he should stay. You seem to have no problem giving J Shultz ice. We dont know how good he really is yet either until we see everyone at TC.
Justin Schultz is over 3 years older than Klefbom though and is much further along in his development.

I'd rather not bring in Klefbom this year, even if he is our 6th best in camp, because I don't wanna situation like we have with Paajarvi.

I want Klefbom to walk in and be a top 5 guy and never have to deal with going to OKC because he wasn't consistently ready night in night out for the NHL as a 19yo.

Old
08-11-2012, 01:26 PM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
Justin Schultz is over 3 years older than Klefbom though and is much further along in his development.

I'd rather not bring in Klefbom this year, even if he is our 6th best in camp, because I don't wanna situation like we have with Paajarvi.

I want Klefbom to walk in and be a top 5 guy and never have to deal with going to OKC because he wasn't consistently ready night in night out for the NHL as a 19yo.
This is what I agree with. What's the rush? Plus, it's already been decided.

Old
08-11-2012, 01:43 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

Quote:

Peckham or Potter and playing ahead of Sutton. Not unreasonable.

I've said this before and I will say it again, I DON'T CARE what he does in Sweden, because Sweden isn't the NHL.

I'm not saying put him on the top pair and play him 25 minutes a night, but for **** sakes, if he's as good as it's been suggested (as good or better then Ryan Murray), then it's a failure in your internal evaluation if you DON'T bring him to camp to see how he stacks up.

What's the worst case, seriously? He goes back to Sweden? Come on.

Last edited by Jimmi Jenkins: 08-11-2012 at 01:51 PM.
Old
08-11-2012, 01:49 PM
swany

july 4th blog by lowe tide on oilersnation "dropping a klefbom" from that i believe he's on the starting roster got to think that's why no trades for a d man

Old
08-11-2012, 02:15 PM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grod View Post
The guy has an underwhelmingly large and accurate shot that he loves to direct oppositely against the grain, look out. For real. He shuts the best down quickly and aggressively. Great puck moving transitioner. Makes simple mistakes. Just when you think the game may be in turmoil or slightly underwhelming he will start getting more important ice time and control the neutral zone. Everything is an afterthought. That's it. This kid can skate.
I love the kids upside and I believe that he will be a BIG part of our defense in the future. That said it's important that we don't rush things. His offensive game and PP game could use some development, the latter won't be coming playing here with Whitney, Schultz, and Petry. IMO it's either he stays in Sweden or we blow a year of his ELC in OKC and give him big minutes in every situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian slips View Post
I've seen J. Schultz play and I've seen Klefbom play, I know how good these guys are and saying that both are studs is the honest truth. The difference is that Schultz was drafted in 2008 while Klefbom was drafted in 2011. Schultz is a two way beast at this point with a much more refined offensive game than Klefbom. Klefbom is bigger than Schultz and probably grittier, but overall Oscar is behind Schultz' development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post

Agreed, give him another year either in Sweden or in the AHL and then bring him in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post

Peckham or Potter and playing ahead of Sutton. Not unreasonable.

I've said this before and I will say it again, I DON'T CARE what he does in Sweden, because Sweden isn't the NHL.

I'm not saying put him on the top pair and play him 25 minutes a night, but for **** sakes, if he's as good as it's been suggested (as good or better then Ryan Murray), then it's a failure in your internal evaluation if you DON'T bring him to camp to see how he stacks up.

What's the worst case, seriously? He goes back to Sweden? Come on.
I have no problem with him coming to camp and seeing how he stacks up, as a matter of fact I think that it'd be a great learning experience for him. Now unless he steps in and is dominant, IMO you send him back to Sweden. We'll know what we have in him going forward and his play could be the difference in us trying to extend, trade, or walk away from Whitney. I'm not sure why it's such a great idea to play him like a 6th/7th defenseman with little to no special teams time? Young players need to play and keep their confidence high, and just because he succeeded last year playing little and being a HS and then playing great after the WJC's doesn't mean that he'd be able to do the same in the best league in the world. Oh yeah and back at ya!

Old
08-11-2012, 02:16 PM
jebs

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=639569

Quote:
Klefbom, taken by the Oilers with the 19th pick of the 2011 draft, told NHL.com on Friday that his intention is to honor the final season of his contract with Farjestad in the Swedish Elite League, and join the Oilers for the 2013-14 season.
Glad to hear it. Not sure what the rush for him to come over is all about.

Old
08-11-2012, 02:19 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebs View Post
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=639569

Glad to hear it. Not sure what the rush for him to come over is all about.
shiny new toy syndrome.

Old
08-11-2012, 03:10 PM
Freudian slips

Quote:
I love the kids upside and I believe that he will be a BIG part of our defense in the future. That said it's important that we don't rush things. His offensive game and PP game could use some development, the latter won't be coming playing here with Whitney, Schultz, and Petry. IMO it's either he stays in Sweden or we blow a year of his ELC in OKC and give him big minutes in every situation.

I've seen J. Schultz play and I've seen Klefbom play, I know how good these guys are and saying that both are studs is the honest truth. The difference is that Schultz was drafted in 2008 while Klefbom was drafted in 2011. Schultz is a two way beast at this point with a much more refined offensive game than Klefbom. Klefbom is bigger than Schultz and probably grittier, but overall Oscar is behind Schultz' development.

Agreed, give him another year either in Sweden or in the AHL and then bring him in.

I have no problem with him coming to camp and seeing how he stacks up, as a matter of fact I think that it'd be a great learning experience for him. Now unless he steps in and is dominant, IMO you send him back to Sweden. We'll know what we have in him going forward and his play could be the difference in us trying to extend, trade, or walk away from Whitney. I'm not sure why it's such a great idea to play him like a 6th/7th defenseman with little to no special teams time? Young players need to play and keep their confidence high, and just because he succeeded last year playing little and being a HS and then playing great after the WJC's doesn't mean that he'd be able to do the same in the best league in the world. Oh yeah and back at ya!
you've seen them both play? on the internet?

Age shou,ldnt be the biggest determinant of who makes this team - if Kleifbom indeed is better than Murray then it sounds like we have a very good Dman ready to jump in.

Again, we dont know what we have with either Shultz or Kleif, and while it certainly DOES matter that one is older, I am not convinced that we should arbitrarily decide on the final roster spots without seeing everyone in real NHL games.

My preference - give Shultz and Kleif every opportunity to make the team. If they both prove they are good enough, then you sort out the other dominoes.

Having said that - there is no rush - and there are lots or reports he wants to stay in Sweden anyways.

Forigve me for spouting off, but its a huge pet peeve of mine when there is an attitude of holding back younger players because, mostly, of their birth certificate.

If they are good, get the young guys on the team.

Caes in point - the 2011-12 Flyers team.

Closed Thread