HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Boucher 4-6 months

Old
06-28-2012, 12:19 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by faulkingdynamic View Post
Hiller has a better save percentage, goals against average 2 out of the last 3 years, led the league in starts and minutes played.... and has two more years at 4.5 million. I'm not saying i dont prefer Ward but to infer that Hiller isnt a franchise goalie seems a little disingenous.
He's also only 2 years older then Ward. So regardless of situation Andersen is gonna struggle to take over as the #1 where he ended up. He has a much easier path to backup in Anaheim then he had before the Boucher injury... but that's gone now. But either way he's still stuck for the foreseeable future unless his agent plays the same games with the Ducks here the next couple years.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 12:26 PM
wallym

vCash: 615
The gap between NHL and AHL salaries is the real culprit.

I bet if instead of being practically all or nothing, with 65k in AHL and 650k in the NHL, it was 250k AHL 450k NHL, he'd (murphy) probably still be here.

I know that's not the rule. And I know why it shouldn't be. But a 1000% difference is enough that you're going to see people take the money, particularly early in their career. And it's hard to blame them.

wallym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 12:39 PM
Smurf Karlsson
We are the champions

vCash: 500
Andersen would have only had to wait one year, which he would have been willing to play in Sweden, until having a legitimate chance to backup Ward in Carolina. Aside from Ward, there wouldn't have been much to compete with considering that Murphy had already signed that 2 year KHL deal. If Andersen could have waited it out until the '13-'14 season, he would have had the upper hand on the other prospect goalies. Either his agent balks at the idea of his client being a career backup or he's just plain stupid to think Peters and Boucher would have stuck around after this year.

His chances of ending up on a team without an established franchise goalie are greater than those of surpassing Ward as starter. However, if drafted by a team like LA, Nashville, Montreal, Vancouver, NYR, Buffalo, etc, his agent would have probably been a pest to negotiate with.

Smurf Karlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 12:48 PM
Citizen Cane
Honoring AAC/11th AF

Problem, meet solution:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Leighton

Citizen Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 12:48 PM
echlfreak

Time to re-sign Peters!!! For Cheap!!!

echlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 12:50 PM
Citizen Cane
Honoring AAC/11th AF

Oh yeah,

Citizen Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 01:00 PM
Smurf Karlsson
We are the champions

I'm in favor of bringing back Leighton, but I think the Flyers have the same intentions. Plus, wasn't there a problem between Leighton and Ward?

I agree with JustJoe that we oughta sign Biron.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:03 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookedonponics View Post
I'm in favor of bringing back Leighton, but I think the Flyers have the same intentions. Plus, wasn't there a problem between Leighton and Ward?

I agree with JustJoe that we oughta sign Biron.
No issue with Leighton. They did have that one scrap back in the AHL while Ward was with Lowell and Leighton with Norfolk, but they never had any issues as teammates. He just sucked here (slowest goalie I've ever frigin seen and he had **** rebound control) and that was the issue most of us had with him.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:06 PM
totalkev

If we sign Biron (or another veteran backup), it will be to replace Peters, because Justin will never sign here after yet another "no confidence" vote from management.

The organizational blind spot at backup goalie just continues to get curiouser and curiouser. Seriously, how hard is it to get -- and keep -- a quality NHL backup? It seems every offseason we spend more time talking about the backup goalie position than any other. It's almost comical.

totalkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 01:09 PM
Smurf Karlsson
We are the champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
No issue with Leighton. They did have that one scrap back in the AHL while Ward was with Lowell and Leighton with Norfolk, but they never had any issues as teammates. He just sucked here (slowest goalie I've ever frigin seen and he had **** rebound control) and that was the issue most of us had with him.
Well that's nice to hear, for some reason I thought there were issues while he was backing up Ward. Anyhow, I can't imagine him having worse rebound control than Peters right now. I think if the Canes are serious at making a Cup run this year, resigning Peters isn't the way to go. That seems impractical though, might as well keep him as a trading chip for the deadline like some have mentioned.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:09 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

The hilarious one of that front Kev is that the year we DID have a competent backup for Ward (Legace) we elected to allow him to walk in UFA instead of re-signing him on another one-year deal.

Quote:
Well that's nice to hear, for some reason I thought there were issues while he was backing up Ward. Anyhow, I can't imagine him having worse rebound control than Peters right now. I think if the Canes are serious at making a Cup run this year, resigning Peters isn't the way to go. That seems impractical though, might as well keep him as a trading chip for the deadline like some have mentioned.
Prepare to be amazed:

Peters that year was 6-3 for us, with .905% and 2.83 GAA
Legace was a bit better at 10-7-5 with .907% and 2.81 GAA
Leighton was...

wait for it

1-4-0 with a .848% and 4.29 GAA with the Canes that season

He wasn't just worse then Peters worst career numbers, he was worse then even Jamie Storr (basically the benchmark for horrible Canes backups) ever was here.

I have to think they're going to bring Peters back as the backup, but have him on a two-way just in case, at this point.

Last edited by DaveG: 06-28-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old
06-28-2012, 01:16 PM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalkev View Post
If we sign Biron (or another veteran backup), it will be to replace Peters, because Justin will never sign here after yet another "no confidence" vote from management.

The organizational blind spot at backup goalie just continues to get curiouser and curiouser. Seriously, how hard is it to get -- and keep -- a quality NHL backup? It seems every offseason we spend more time talking about the backup goalie position than any other. It's almost comical.
This one isn't really a "blind spot" it's just **** luck. They also were well set up with Murphy and Andersson in case something like this happened and they both bolted unexpectedly.

To your point about getting and keeping a quality backup, it's not that easy because players want to play. There are probably 10 or so veteran guys in the league who have resigned themselves to the fact they are backups and the rest think they can start. JR signed one of those 10 or so guys and he's been hurt the whole time.

That's not to say the backup situation wasn't handled poorly every year since lockut up until now, which it absolutely was. ****ing John Grahame. Now that signing was a disaster.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 01:17 PM
bleedgreen

We are doomed to never get the back up right. Say no to peters other than ahl. Good kid, bad goalie.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 01:36 PM
Smurf Karlsson
We are the champions

Wowzaz! those are some pretty dreadful statistics for a backup goalie Dave. Perhaps signing Leighton isn't a smart idea, but he seemed to fare well with the Flyers the following season (then again he had a more than competent defense in front of him). With our crease clearing issues and Leighton's supposed slowness and poor rebound control, bringing him back is not the answer.

Not feelin' much for Leighton anymore, but I stand firm on bringing in Biron. I also wouldn't mind having peters on a two-way contract.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:54 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
We are doomed to never get the back up right.
We blew all our karma on Ward in 2006.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 02:01 PM
geehaad

Quote:
Perhaps signing Leighton isn't a smart idea, but he seemed to fare well with the Flyers later that season
Fixed that for you.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 02:47 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I wonder if part of the reason for all but sending Barrasso to the dog house was the fact that we sublet the decision out to him, as a goaltender, to identify the targets that would have the most success in our system and Boucher was the first guy on his list and the guy we attacked aggressively. I don't like to play hindsight games, but Boucher has been horrible here even when healthy and he wasn't exactly known as a picture of health prior to signing here.

I don't know if Murphy made a poor decision here or not to be honest. The organization didn't seem to trust him and it would seem that in lieu of actually offering him the chance to compete for our backup position that we would have signed somebody else anyways to fill this role. I think that we will bring in Justin Peters again and perhaps a more veteran goaltender and the winner will be the backup and the loser will start in the AHL. There are a few guys out there that could provide some decent stop gap starts. One thing we CANNOT do is depend on Ward to play 70 or more games. He has to have some rest.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 02:53 PM
Zombie Mike Murphy

I think a big part of the issue here is how much ward plays. If you were a talented backup goalie, would *you* want to go somewhere you'd get maybe 15 starts/year?

Zombie Mike Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 03:02 PM
FlyingSquirrels

Justin Pogge

FlyingSquirrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 03:14 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Well, this sucks.

Brock Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 03:44 PM
TheBigKahuna

Looks like Ward will be ridden hard for 72+ games unless JR finds a decent experienced backup via free agency.

TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 03:46 PM
CanesAvs16

Back up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll Ward View Post
I think a big part of the issue here is how much ward plays. If you were a talented backup goalie, would *you* want to go somewhere you'd get maybe 15 starts/year?
But we need a back up goalie who can play MORE than 15 games per year. Ward should not be playing as much as he does, even as a starter. Brodeur, Howard, Lundqvist, they all played less games than Ward (ok so 6 less in Lundqvist's case). I think we need a reliable backup who can play around 20-25 games per year and have a save percentage higher than .910. That will relieve the pressure off of ward and our guys will trust him not to let in 5 goals per game.

I agree with everyone else here, we have never had a reliable back up goalie except in 05-06 with ward (which I barely call him reliable during the season with a .882 SV%) and maybe 01-02 with weekes (during the off season only)

CanesAvs16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 04:17 PM
Metro Misfits
Misfits of the Metro

Mike Murphy was 0-2 with a 1.000 SV% last year.

Metro Misfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 04:20 PM
Metro Misfits
Misfits of the Metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSquirrels View Post
Justin Pogge
You know, he was one of my favorites (personality wise).

I will never forget, he goes behind the net, slashes the guy which does a superman flight into the corner. The sound of stick echoed throughout the arena. Pogge skated back around to the front of the net, drank some water, and looked at the Ref like (uh what did I do).

He also instigated all the time, he about dropped gloves with another goalie about 6"s shorter then him. It was quite comical.

Metro Misfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 04:42 PM
JustJoe2k5
Semin - Coach Killer

Another name to consider is Scott Clemmensen.

JustJoe2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote