HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Crosby signs 12-Year, $104.4 Million Contract Extension (8.7 per)

Old
06-29-2012, 08:50 AM
Blitzburgh87*

vCash: 500
We're so lucky to have a player like him and not jagr. How many athletes can you say aren't about the money?

Blitzburgh87* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:55 AM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzburgh87 View Post
We're so lucky to have a player like him and not jagr. How many athletes can you say aren't about the money?
Approximately two super-star athletes I can think of (in any major sport) who are not about money first, and they're both on this team.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:01 AM
GLM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
He might get eaten by a shark too. You just never know.

GLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:03 AM
GLM

I read/heard on nhl network the max he could have gotten was 20% of the cap so that would have been 14 million cap hit. so he left over 5.3 million per yr cap hit on the table so thats more like 63.6 millioin he left on the cap table for the pens over the life of the contract.

if he wanted 14 million, he would have gotten it. man sid is seriously the most unselfish pro athlete i can think of.

GLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:20 AM
kling66

Quote:
So that's why Geno went fishing for sharks... I knew they hated each other

kling66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:40 AM
Random Oracle

vCash: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
I am struggling to make some sense that anyone, anywhere could have issue with signing the best player in the world to an undervalued contract. Long term.

Am I missing something?
I think the issue is that he didn't sign with their team.

Random Oracle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:00 AM
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy

Quote:

Antaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:29 AM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaris View Post
When it comes down to it, that's really all it ever is.

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:32 AM
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy

Ain't that the truth

Old
06-29-2012, 11:06 AM
Blitzburgh87*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Approximately two super-star athletes I can think of (in any major sport) who are not about money first, and they're both on this team.
Exactly

Blitzburgh87* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:19 PM
bigd

I think they are taking advantage of his concussion symptoms. Crosby, clearly isn't in the right frame of mind. Maybe this was Sheros plan all along.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:10 PM
Jaded-Fan

Interesting analysis of the Crosby deal that basically shows the amount that Crosby signed for and how much he produces compared to others. Some of the comparisons are not fair as Crosby's is a UFA deal and a number of the others are either entry level contracts or RFA contracts, but still interesting none the less:

How underpaid is Crosby relative to other elite talents? The quickest way to figure out quickly value around who’s getting paid what is to calculate their cap hit by Salary per PPG (SPPG). Yes it’s pretty rudimentary, but let’s just take a look at the top 10 ranked guys in the ppg column, excluding anyone who played fewer than 20 games, and their SPPG:

- Crosby: 1.68ppg, $8.7M per year, $5.18M SPPG
- Malkin: 1.45, $8.7M per year, $6M SPPG
- Giroux: 1.21, $3.75M per year, $3.1M SPPG
- Stamkos: 1.18, $7.5M per year, $6.36M SPPG
- Kovalchuk: 1.08, $6.67M per year, $6.16M SPPG
- Spezza: 1.05, $7M per year, $6.67M SPPG
- Backstrom: 1.05, $6.7M per year, $6.35M SPPG
- Lupul: 1.02, $4.25M per year, $4.16M SPPG
- Neal: 1.01, 2.875M per year, $2.85M SPPG
- Kessel: 1.00, $5.4M per year, $5.4M SPPG

A couple things to note here…Giroux is still working on his 2nd contract and just exploded last year, AND he only has 2 years left on this deal so he’s due for a big pay raise. Neal has already gotten his big pay raise, his new level would put him at $4.95M SPPG . Still, looking at these numbers, Crosby’s contract is clearly undervaluing his contribution by about $1M SPPG. The issue for Free Agency is that this opens up a debate about the value of some of the available talent. The Crosby contract will put some agents in a bind when trying to pitch their clients as top-tier talents who should get paid top-tier dough. Consider that Zach Parise’s SPPG would be $10.35M given last year’s ppg (0.84) were he paid at Crosby’s level. Granted, there’s a lot of off-puck work that Parise does, but you get the point.

http://bladesofteal.com/2012/06/29/w...alary-per-ppg/

Last edited by Jaded-Fan: 06-29-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Jaded-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:30 PM
Fantom

I am really surprised how many people are happy with this Signing. While any team we be glad to pay this kid 8.7 or whatever the cap hit is. Why would the pens risk this deal right now ? He still had one more year on current contract. None of you are worried about Injury History ?

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:35 PM
SidGenoMario

vCash: 511
Quote:
I am really surprised how many people are happy with this Signing. While any team we be glad to pay this kid 8.7 or whatever the cap hit is. Why would the pens risk this deal right now ? He still had one more year on current contract. None of you are worried about Injury History ?
Well, what would you do?

SidGenoMario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:36 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
No we aren't worried. It was a risk the organization had to take. You don't go into the final season of your franchise player's contract. There would be constant drama about him signing or not. This takes the pressure off and tells every UFA that the Penguins are open for business and have the best player in the world locked up for the rest of his career.

Shady Machine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:36 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Holy ****, Sid's had an injury?

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:39 PM
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy

Quote:
I thought about giving a really cheeky reply but I figured I'd rather answer the questions with questions.

Why wouldn't they "risk" signing one, if not the, best player in hockey who has made a clear commitment to the town and the franchise? Where's the risk? It'd be moronic to not sign him as soon as possible and i'm sure that you do realize that it is very much an statement to the FA's come to the 1'st.

I guess i somewhat answered your comment about the current contract, but feel free to develope your thought there.

Why would we be, in the topic of signing him long term ?

Old
06-29-2012, 01:40 PM
Jaded-Fan

One other note with that analysis tha I posted above. Crosby's deal is for a dozen years. The analysis is of one moment in time, notaby stats from last year and pay from last year in comparison. The cap has risen over 8% a year since the lockout and cap came into being in 2005. if the cap continues to rise, Crosby's deal is going to look better ad better from this kind of analysis. Of course the caveat is injury risk. But still, some grain of salt with that analysis.

Jaded-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:46 PM
Fantom

Quote:
I thought about giving a really cheeky reply but I figured I'd rather answer the questions with questions.

Why wouldn't they "risk" signing one, if not the, best player in hockey who has made a clear commitment to the town and the franchise? Where's the risk? It'd be moronic to not sign him as soon as possible and i'm sure that you do realize that it is very much an statement to the FA's come to the 1'st.

I guess i somewhat answered your comment about the current contract, but feel free to develope your thought there.

Why would we be, in the topic of signing him long term ?
while i see your point. However if he is committed to the Franchise then is there really a risk ? Why not offer something shorter then 12 years if they felt they needed to lock something down. I hope for the pens sake he stays healthy for years to come. I guess i cant help but think about some dumb deals the isles did with the long term deals. I should also say that i feel that No player should sign for more then 6 years. I home the change something in the CBA that limits the Length of Contracts to 6 or 7 years. I am sure however the players would no go for it

Old
06-29-2012, 01:47 PM
Mordax
Abso-Buc'n-lutely

Quote:

I was going to reply with basically that answer.

When you have one of the most highly acclaimed players in the world, who has become a figurehead of your organization and a local hero to the people of your city, you try and keep him around as long as possible...

IMHO of course

Mordax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:49 PM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidGenoMario View Post
Well, what would you do?
I guess i would have not done anything. However that very well may be the reason i am a fan and not a gm. I think if i felt i needed to lock something up i would offer a shorter deal for perhaps more Dollars for a few seasons. Explain to the player why. I feel like my offering him something around 12 mil for like 3 seasons shows i am committed to him. Or maybe have a option included that if he plays X games in the first two seasons it gets extended. shrug

Old
06-29-2012, 01:50 PM
DockEllisExperience

Quote:
So you're saying if the Isle's signed Crosby to a FA contract of 12 years you wouldn't be on board?

DockEllisExperience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:50 PM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
No we aren't worried. It was a risk the organization had to take. You don't go into the final season of your franchise player's contract. There would be constant drama about him signing or not. This takes the pressure off and tells every UFA that the Penguins are open for business and have the best player in the world locked up for the rest of his career.
Good points here.

Old
06-29-2012, 01:52 PM
SidGenoMario

vCash: 511
This could be a very good deal for the Pens though, this isn't some charity deal for someone who was good to them in the past. They've thought about it more than us, and they have more understanding of Crosby's health than we do. They obviously feel his health problems are a thing of the past and $8.7 mil for one of the 2 best players in the world could be the best contract in the league, especially once the cap rises in the future.

SidGenoMario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:52 PM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockEllisExperience View Post
So you're saying if the Isle's signed Crosby to a FA contract of 12 years you wouldn't be on board?
Me personally no. I would be thinking the same things i am thinking now. As stated in a other post i also do not like long deals past 6 years. I would be worried about Injury and the effect it would have my teams overall cap if he was hurt.