HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo XVII - Goaldeny (Mod Warning In OP)

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2012, 11:42 AM
Cogburn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
I don't think that's the Florida package. That's where we disagree. Florida, IMO, just has way more intriguing prospect to offer. The deepest prospect pool in the NHL and even taking out their top 3 guys there are some players that can help us down the road at the forward position. I have yet to see a Toronto offer that actually improves the Canucks and that should be Gillis' goal.
Bingo. Kulemin is so far the only piece I can honestly say improves us now...and even then it isn't by a wide margin. The prospects we've been offered pale in comparison to what Florida can surrender (not counting the big 3, or 4, or 6 depending on who is counting and calling it), and even the cap dumps are a positional need for us in Kopecky or Upshall.

I'm still interested in Lombardi as a temp solution to our Kesler injury, depending on how free agency plays out, but we'd be looking at a roster spot, probably Kellan Tochkin, and a low pick. He is the best fit of Leafs players that have been offered....and he's the cap dump.

Old
06-29-2012, 11:43 AM
Lundface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
I still can't figure it out. Unless 1 of these 2 facts are true:

1. Luongo has stated FLA only.
2.Absolute blind hate between Gillis/Burke

It amases me that an Upshall, 2nd tier prospect,and a 2nd is favoured by Nucks fans over many of the Leaf proposals. (i'm not talking about the Komi and a 5th type)
The only decent proposals are from Canucks fans that Leafs fans shoot down immediately. I personally am higher on Kadri than most I guess, but your fanbase is reluctant to trade any significant piece like him.

Instead the best you give is Colborne, 2nd and a worse cap dump. Also, even if Florida doesn't give up much, you can bet Burke would have given an even more pathetic package. Funny thing is Toronto is the team that needs a goalie, Florida merely wants one. Sadly Brian Burke has never valued goaltending and for your teams sake, hopefully Nonis can speak some sense into him.

Old
06-29-2012, 11:43 AM
MikeK

vCash: 8000
Quote:
Agreed. Luongo did a lot of great things for Vancouver and I'd like to see him land in a good spot and where he is close to family. I have a lot of respect for the guy and wish him nothing but the best. I think he'd be in tough in Toronto.
I think it's been what, 7 years since TO made the playoffs? That is a lot of pressure for one guy and I am not sure Luongo would waive his NTC to go to TO.

Old
06-29-2012, 11:49 AM
superrich

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundface View Post
The only decent proposals are from Canucks fans that Leafs fans shoot down immediately. I personally am higher on Kadri than most I guess, but your fanbase is reluctant to trade any significant piece like him.

Instead the best you give is Colborne, 2nd and a worse cap dump. Also, even if Florida doesn't give up much, you can bet Burke would have given an even more pathetic package. Funny thing is Toronto is the team that needs a goalie, Florida merely wants one. Sadly Brian Burke has never valued goaltending and for your teams sake, hopefully Nonis can speak some sense into him.
And Vancouver is the team that needs to trade Luongo. I just can't see them going into next season with Luongo and Schneider. If Burke is patient and waits, the price should be relatively cheap without having to give up anything significant of value, dependent on Florida not wanting Luongo(which I don't think they really do). I can see something like Armstrong and a 2nd or something similar.

Old
06-29-2012, 11:50 AM
MikeK

vCash: 8000
Quote:
Originally Posted by superrich View Post
And Vancouver is the team that needs to trade Luongo. I just can't see them going into next season with Luongo and Schneider. If Burke is patient and waits, the price should be relatively cheap without having to give up anything significant of value, dependent on Florida not wanting Luongo(which I don't think they really do). I can see something like Armstrong and a 2nd or something similar.
Vancouver doesn't NEED to trade Luongo. Want and need are to different words and meanings.

Old
06-29-2012, 11:51 AM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Haha good luck with that.

Old
06-29-2012, 11:51 AM
Holy Mackinaw

Quote:
Agreed. Luongo did a lot of great things for Vancouver and I'd like to see him land in a good spot and where he is close to family. I have a lot of respect for the guy and wish him nothing but the best. I think he'd be in tough in Toronto.
Oddly enough, for a big market with media overkill, Toronto is pretty easy on its goalies, provided they are even decent. Guys like Potvin, Fuhr, Joseph and Belfour were not only given a free ride in town, they were almost worshiped. You still see Potvin, Joseph and Belfour jerseys around town.

If he was traded here, I think he would be THE fan favourite and the biggest jersey seller. I know I'd buy one tomorrow....

Old
06-29-2012, 11:52 AM
vanwest

Quote:
We'll see. I think that Burke will make another offer.

Old
06-29-2012, 11:56 AM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Mackinaw View Post
Oddly enough, for a big market with media overkill, Toronto is pretty easy on its goalies, provided they are even decent. Guys like Potvin, Fuhr, Joseph and Belfour were not only given a free ride in town, they were almost worshiped. You still see Potvin, Joseph and Belfour jerseys around town.

If he was traded here, I think he would be THE fan favourite and the biggest jersey seller. I know I'd buy one tomorrow....
This is what thoroughly confuses me. He would be appreciated, even if it is just initially, and instantly makes your team better, but every leaf fan is thinking we "need" to trade him, and will only offer a pittance, even if it at a position of strength. It may all be a moot point if the reports of Luongo only wanting to go to Florida are true, but like the gentleman above posted with his "Armstrong and a 2nd", or the famous, and probably never seriously offered, "Komisarek and a 5th"...there are all kinds of reasons to to this, and 0 for the Canucks.

Old
06-29-2012, 11:57 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
I don't think that's the Florida package. That's where we disagree. Florida, IMO, just has way more intriguing prospect to offer. The deepest prospect pool in the NHL and even taking out their top 3 guys there are some players that can help us down the road at the forward position. I have yet to see a Toronto offer that actually improves the Canucks and that should be Gillis' goal.
Back a few Bond titles ago, that was the exact package that Van fans stated they would take over any Leaf proposals.

Here is a question, Leaf fans brought up Clarke Macarthur and were told that Upshall was a way better choice.

Let me break this down:

Upshall shoots left, last season 26gp 5pts carreer high 61gp 30pts. Signed until 2015 with a cap hit of 3.5 per.

Macarthur shoots left, last season 73gp 43pts carreer high 82gp 62pts. Signed until 2013 with a cap hit of 3.25 per.

Now if both offers had said player with a prospect and a 2nd, how is FLA's offer better?

Old
06-29-2012, 12:01 PM
arsmaster

Quote:

Exactly.

I know a lot of people hate the Canucks, and Lu has his detractors, but the guy is a legit superstar.

Old
06-29-2012, 12:06 PM
Holy Mackinaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
This is what thoroughly confuses me. He would be appreciated, even if it is just initially, and instantly makes your team better, but every leaf fan is thinking we "need" to trade him, and will only offer a pittance, even if it at a position of strength. It may all be a moot point if the reports of Luongo only wanting to go to Florida are true, but like the gentleman above posted with his "Armstrong and a 2nd", or the famous, and probably never seriously offered, "Komisarek and a 5th"...there are all kinds of reasons to to this, and 0 for the Canucks.
Well, in fairness, Vancouver does have to trade Luongo. Not today, not tomorrow, but they will need to trade him before training camp. A Stanley Cup contender does not need this sort of distraction right out of camp. Again, I think that is why Schneider's deal is "in principle". Once Lu is gone, he signs.

Luongo makes the team better, sure, but not by giving up significent pieces of the future. If the Leafs were a contender, yes, I would pull the trigger tomorrow. But it is obvious what Burke is doing with this team, and giving up a Gardiner or 5th overall (pre draft) goes against the blueprint Burke is running off of. We get the jokes, all those years out of the playoffs, 45 years without a Cup, goaltending. They're funny. But in a couple of years, as these kids really start to develop, you are going to see the changes in both performance and standing. Not many will be laughing, but it is taking more time than we had all hoped. Even with Luongo, the Leafs aren't contending for at least two years, so I don't see the point of giving up significant assets for him. That's just me though.

I think his heart is on Florida, so not sure if anything relating to Toronto matters anymore.

Old
06-29-2012, 12:08 PM
Dr Swag
Banned User

In all fairness, Burke will first make an offer to Brodeur, then try to convince Tim Thomas to play next year, then see if he can get Niemi or Theodore for cheap, and if all fails he'll make his offer for Luongo.

Old
06-29-2012, 12:08 PM
Nash

Quote:
Again, I think that is why Schneider's deal is "in principle". Once Lu is gone, he signs.
It's no longer in principle though.

Old
06-29-2012, 12:09 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Back a few Bond titles ago, that was the exact package that Van fans stated they would take over any Leaf proposals.

Here is a question, Leaf fans brought up Clarke Macarthur and were told that Upshall was a way better choice.

Let me break this down:

Upshall shoots left, last season 26gp 5pts carreer high 61gp 30pts. Signed until 2015 with a cap hit of 3.5 per.

Macarthur shoots left, last season 73gp 43pts carreer high 82gp 62pts. Signed until 2013 with a cap hit of 3.25 per.

Now if both offers had said player with a prospect and a 2nd, how is FLA's offer better?
Because MacArthur does not improve this team in any, shape or form. We need upgrades in our top 6 (think Doan) or more toughness in our bottom 6.

We have another tweeners.

Upshall scores at a lower rate (scoring isn't really an issue for Vancouver), but is far tougher and provides grit. We could use that.

Again - I just can't stress this enough, we have absolutely no need or use for MacArthur. No Canuck fan wants him, and I'm sure Gillis doesn't either.

Old
06-29-2012, 12:10 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

How long will it take before Markstrom gets handed the reins in Florida though? Getting Luongo with the length of his contract would eventually put Florida in the same position Vancouver is in now though, right?

Old
06-29-2012, 12:14 PM
Lundface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Swag View Post
In all fairness, Burke will first make an offer to Brodeur, then try to convince Tim Thomas to play next year, then see if he can get Niemi or Theodore for cheap, and if all fails he'll make his offer for Luongo.
Hopefully thats how Burke thinks too for the sake of your franchise.

Brodeur wants to win, Thomas doesn't even want to play, San Jose already has brutal goaltending, and Florida also wants to upgrade.

Good luck next season. Its odd because I think Toronto has a good enough team to make the playoffs next season, just like they did this season. You fixed one problem with the firing of your coach.

The last problem you need to fix I doubt Burke will admit to it even being a problem

Old
06-29-2012, 12:17 PM
Chubros

Someone post some Luongo to New Jersey proposals, please.

Old
06-29-2012, 12:22 PM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
Because MacArthur does not improve this team in any, shape or form. We need upgrades in our top 6 (think Doan) or more toughness in our bottom 6.

We have another tweeners.

Upshall scores at a lower rate (scoring isn't really an issue for Vancouver), but is far tougher and provides grit. We could use that.

Again - I just can't stress this enough, we have absolutely no need or use for MacArthur. No Canuck fan wants him, and I'm sure Gillis doesn't either.
My point wasn't to force any player on you...hey, if you've got a hard-on for a player who the past 2 seasons has played 21 and 26 games and never played more than 61 in a season, signed till 2015 and a 3.5 cap then by all means trade him to FLA. Hell, if it's no offence and grit you need, i'll send Orr and Rosehill your way.

Old
06-29-2012, 12:23 PM
Ched Brosky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubros View Post
alright just for u

To NJD:
Luongo

To VAN:
rights to Parise

Parise signs for a the same cap hit as the Sedins

fantasy dream trade over!

Old
06-29-2012, 12:23 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:

Let me break this down:

Would come down to the prospect for Canuck fans. Upshall and MacArthur are pretty interchangeable. Upshall is from Western Canada and played junior in Kamloops. Had some decent seasons in the past. MacArthur has accomplished much more recently.

The Leafs seem to be grasping tightly to they're top prospects and Leaf (like Canuck and most Canadian teams) prospects are normally overrated. Panthers have the best prospect pool in the league. The chances of us getting a high-end prospect in return are much greater from Florida.

Old
06-29-2012, 12:24 PM
TrueCanuckle

Quote:
luongo for a signed parise
kind've like the wideman deal

Old
06-29-2012, 12:24 PM
TrueCanuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback91 View Post
alright just for u

To NJD:
Luongo

To VAN:
rights to Parise

Parise signs for a the same cap hit as the Sedins

fantasy dream trade over!
damn you beat me to it

Old
06-29-2012, 12:26 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Luongo
for
Kovalchuk

Old
06-29-2012, 12:27 PM
Ched Brosky

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueCanuckle View Post
damn you beat me to it
just change ur's to rights to Brodeur along with Parise and now u have a new proposal since he did say proposals

Closed Thread