HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo XVII - Goaldeny (Mod Warning In OP)

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2012, 07:27 PM
DPyro

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rune74 View Post
So loungo's contract is horrible but Quicks is great? Interesting.
Quick is 26 on a 10 year deal, his contract will end when he's 36. Luongo is 33 on a 10 year deal, his contract will end when he's 43. See the difference? Oh ya, and Quick won a Stanley Cup...

Old
06-28-2012, 07:49 PM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
Originally Posted by rune74 View Post
So loungo's contract is horrible but Quicks is great? Interesting.
I think Quick's contract is crazy. Not in a good way.

Old
06-28-2012, 08:21 PM
redthrowaway*

To be fair to the Kings here, Lu's contract also came when the cap was significantly lower, and thus represented a much higher percentage of our salary.

Regardless, I'm fine with both contracts. These long, cap-mitigation contracts are almost mandatory for teams who want to lock up their young stars while still being able to field a contending roster. They ain't going anywhere (at least until the new CBA rolls along).

Old
06-28-2012, 08:34 PM
John Bender*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPyro View Post
Quick is 26 on a 10 year deal, his contract will end when he's 36. Luongo is 33 on a 10 year deal, his contract will end when he's 43. See the difference? Oh ya, and Quick won a Stanley Cup...
Take him off that tight defensive team and he is nothing like what he is purported to be.

Old
06-28-2012, 08:43 PM
Mailbox Head
Registered Schmoozer

Just waiting for "A First is Not Enough".

Old
06-28-2012, 08:47 PM
redthrowaway*

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheGiant View Post
Take him off that tight defensive team and he is nothing like what he is purported to be.
His team supports him very well, but I watched him stonewall our best players for 5 games and I can tell you that he very much is the real deal.

Old
06-28-2012, 08:49 PM
Kip96

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPyro View Post
10 year extension so he has 11 years left

Old
06-28-2012, 08:54 PM
AaronRStanley

http://iphone.tsn.ca/mobile/2012/06/...der_062812.mp4

Old news, but Florida is said to be the frontrunner for Luongo's services, and the Leafs aren't even in discussions anymore.

So, as a Leafs fan, to not picking up the term, but to missing out on a solid goaltender.

Last edited by AaronRStanley: 06-28-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old
06-28-2012, 09:23 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Man I don't think that the Panthers should be interested in Luongo unless they're getting him at a bargain basement price.

Markstrom is just going to get better and he's going to a damn good starter in a year or two IMO.

Old
06-28-2012, 09:25 PM
Finnish Your Czechs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deirmoc View Post
Just waiting for "A First is Not Enough".
Lombardi's not enough

Old
06-28-2012, 09:25 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Man I don't think that the Panthers should be interested in Luongo unless they're getting him at a bargain basement price.

Markstrom is just going to get better and he's going to a damn good starter in a year or two IMO.
So after spending a year in the AHL he'll jump right in and be a 'damn good starter'?

We'll see about that.

Old
06-28-2012, 09:41 PM
Evgeny Oliker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
So after spending a year in the AHL he'll jump right in and be a 'damn good starter'?

We'll see about that.
The Panthers are unlikely to compete for the Cup for another few years. So if Markstrom gets into some more NHL games this season and then starts the season after, thats totally fine.

Old
06-28-2012, 09:46 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeny Oliker View Post
The Panthers are unlikely to compete for the Cup for another few years. So if Markstrom gets into some more NHL games this season and then starts the season after, thats totally fine.
How many rookie NHL goaltenders go from getting a few NHL games (remember, Florida stated he would be in the AHL this year - so who knows if he even plays the 7 he did this year) to 60?

Not realistic at all.

He may get 5 - 10 this season, then maybe, if everything turns out ideally, make the team as a backup next year.

Different player, but Schneider at the same age had 8 starts for Vancouver, then 2 the following year. Then he played 25 and 33 games as a backup after that before being ready to be a fulltime NHL starter. While he may have been able to play as one this year - it was certainly a luxury bringing him along nice and slowly (and perfect for his development). Wouldn't surprise me if Florida had similar thoughts regarding Markstrom.

Old
06-28-2012, 09:57 PM
bobbyt91
plz quote cuz bored

As a Leaf fan I find myself somewhat conflicted on Lou especially because I feel that with Lou the Leafs should be 5-9th in the East and not great a shot at McKinnon but if they stick with Reimer and Scrivens either they develop and the Leafs make the dance or we get a good shot @#1. It seems to be a win win by not going after Lou. We can see if Reimer and Scrivens are the real deal and if so sweet and if their not then a good pick in a good draft is sweet too. Plus if we don't trade for Lou we still have the prospects and if we tank they can get good ice time to develop. There is no way I can see the Leafs being a contender next year but say Scrivens or Reimer is the real deal and adding some of the homegrown talent to whats there IMO gets them 1-2 moves away. So do nothing this year then next off season resign who needs to be and get a goalie then if Reimer and Scrivens don't pan out and go after the #1 C plus guys like Kadri, Ross, Colbourne, Biggs, Blacker, Percy etc will all be able to add to the club making them a contender.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:05 PM
The Pucks

So, Cory signs, prelude to a deal?

Old
06-28-2012, 10:09 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pucks View Post
So, Cory signs, prelude to a deal?
I believe so.

I also believe that the price for Lou just went up a bit. Vancouver doesn't need to trade either, we have the cap space to comfortably run with both - especially if we sign Schultz.

Florida could use a mentor for Markstrom, and needs to add about 15M in cap space to reach the floor while Toronto could use a veteran and an improvement in their goaltending.

Let the real bidding war commence.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:13 PM
SoupyFIN
#character

vCash: 400
Quote:
Vancouver doesn't need to trade either
Quote:
You keep on telling that to yourself. No one really believes it.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:15 PM
redthrowaway*

Quote:
I believe so.

I also believe that the price for Lou just went up a bit. Vancouver doesn't need to trade either, we have the cap space to comfortably run with both - especially if we sign Schultz.

Florida could use a mentor for Markstrom, and needs to add about 15M in cap space to reach the floor while Toronto could use a veteran and an improvement in their goaltending.

Don't think we'll see a war or awesome return. I see us completing a deal that gives us Garrison's rights in lieu of a blue chip, and hopefully goc but probably matthias. Maybe a third or something on top. I'm fine with that.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:15 PM
Jerkini

Quote:
I believe so.

Really? You guys would be okay with that much money sitting on the bench every single game? It seems like that would be money better spent elsewhere.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:16 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
You keep on telling that to yourself. No one really believes it.
Nah, the team has 9M in goaltending with about 10M in cap space right now. Team needs are a 2nd line RW and a 2nd pairing defencemen.

Luongo and Schneider were consummate professionals this past year, and I expect them to continue to be. We can run with both, from a cap and a personnel perspective.

The only individuals telling us we have to trade one of them are fans of other teams, who then demand Luongo at a bargain price.

I'd be very happy if we went with both goaltenders into this season, especially if we manage to land Schultz and a RW through free agency.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:19 PM
redthrowaway*

Quote:
Nah, the team has 9M in goaltending with about 10M in cap space right now. Team needs are a 2nd line RW and a 2nd pairing defencemen.

Luongo and Schneider were consummate professionals this past year, and I expect them to continue to be. We can run with both, from a cap and a personnel perspective.

The only individuals telling us we have to trade one of them are fans of other teams, who then demand Luongo at a bargain price.

I'd be very happy if we went with both goaltenders into this season, especially if we manage to land Schultz and a RW through free agency.
We need a shutdown 3C more than we need a winger. Winger'd be nice, 3C is a must.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:21 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
Really? You guys would be okay with that much money sitting on the bench every single game? It seems like that would be money better spent elsewhere.
Ideally, but not for scraps and cap dumps. Hypothetically speaking

Sedin (6.1) - Sedin (6.1) - Burrows (2)
Booth (4.2) - Kesler (5) - Doan (6)
Hansen (1.3) - Lapierre (1) - Raymond (2.2)
Weise (0.7) - Malhotra (2.5) - Kassian (0.87)

Hamhuis (4.5) - Bieksa (4.6)
Edler (3.25) - Schultz (3.75)
Ballard (4.2) - Tanev (0.9)
Salo (1)

Luongo (5.3)
Schneider (4)

Now there's huge assumptions in this lineup, Schultz and Doan being the foremost. But it would be feasible. And while money could be 'better' spent - what would that 'better' spent look like?

There is a chance we sign Schultz (Vancouver is on his 4 team shortlist) so that would leave what, the 2nd line RW hole? I guess we could spend 11M there instead of 6, but we probably won't.

Ultimately the point is we don't 'have' to trade anyone. I do think Luongo will be traded, and the capspace will probably be used to ugrade the bottom 6 a bit (nothing too crazy, we'll probably have 3M in cap space to start the year) but this notion that Vancouver is handcuffed or forced to do anything is silly.

Last edited by Diamonddog01: 06-28-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old
06-28-2012, 10:21 PM
Evgeny Oliker

Quote:
How many rookie NHL goaltenders go from getting a few NHL games (remember, Florida stated he would be in the AHL this year - so who knows if he even plays the 7 he did this year) to 60?

Not realistic at all.

He may get 5 - 10 this season, then maybe, if everything turns out ideally, make the team as a backup next year.

Different player, but Schneider at the same age had 8 starts for Vancouver, then 2 the following year. Then he played 25 and 33 games as a backup after that before being ready to be a fulltime NHL starter. While he may have been able to play as one this year - it was certainly a luxury bringing him along nice and slowly (and perfect for his development). Wouldn't surprise me if Florida had similar thoughts regarding Markstrom.
Every goalie is unique. Lundqvist became a #1 in his first season in NHL without any AhL time. While that is rare most goalies do make NhL after about 2 ahl seasons, which Markstrom now has. Then 1 season as backup or spliter in NHL is often enough and the season after they start. That is all pretty typical.

Markstrom is talented enough to go that route.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:26 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeny Oliker View Post
Every goalie is unique. Lundqvist became a #1 in his first season in NHL without any AhL time. While that is rare most goalies do make NhL after about 2 ahl seasons, which Markstrom now has. Then 1 season as backup or spliter in NHL is often enough and the season after they start. That is all pretty typical.

Markstrom is talented enough to go that route.
Well Lundqvist was 2 years older than Markstrom, and he played 53 games that year.

Markstrom is talented enough, but that is in an ideal scenario which rarely occurs imo.

And Florida has already stated he will be with San Antonio this year, meaning they don't even expect him to win the backup position. Just don't see him going straight into being an NHL starter without a year as a quality backup, but who knows.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:29 PM
redthrowaway*

Quote:
Well Lundqvist was 2 years older than Markstrom, and he played 53 games that year.

Markstrom is talented enough, but that is in an ideal scenario which rarely occurs imo.

And Florida has already stated he will be with San Antonio this year, meaning they don't even expect him to win the backup position. Just don't see him going straight into being an NHL starter without a year as a quality backup, but who knows.
Agreed. Wouldn't be surprised to see Lu start, Theo backup this year (if he's down, might not be), and Markstrom b/u next.

Closed Thread