HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Lars Eller

Old
06-28-2012, 09:57 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibeen View Post
u didn't watch the habs this year, right?
I did indeed.

I believe if given top 9 minutes and playing with some guys who have some scoring capabilites he'd be a real asset offensively in a playmaking role.

I'm guessing you felt that since he wasn't able to turn Michael Blunden and Piterri Noekelinen into 20 goal scorers he isn't a good playmaking player? Right?

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:14 PM
letmesleep

I really miss having Eller in the Blues system. I'd love to have him back but wouldn't give up what it would take to get him back.

letmesleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:37 PM
BlueBeard

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
I did indeed.

I believe if given top 9 minutes and playing with some guys who have some scoring capabilites he'd be a real asset offensively in a playmaking role.

I'm guessing you felt that since he wasn't able to turn Michael Blunden and Piterri Noekelinen into 20 goal scorers he isn't a good playmaking player? Right?
Has Eller had any time with decent line mates on the Habs? If so, how did he do? It seems like he's been stuck with mucker and grinders nearly the whole time he has been in N.A. He had 45-ish games with Yan friggin' Stastny on his line in the AHL. Then he gets Pascal Pelletier(quality AHL scoring forward) for the last 20-ish games and immediately starts scoring over a PPG clip. Coincidence? I think not.

I would love to have him back on the Blues but I know that's not going to happen. I was so looking forward to seeing Eller-Backes-Oshie play together at least a few times and now that Tarasenko is on his way over for next year we could have seen a line something like Steen-Eller-Tarasenko this year. I am glad Habs fans have came around on their opinion of him because I remember defending him quite a bit after that trade because I watched a good deal of his games in the AHL.

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:42 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

I had posted this question in the Pens board:

What would Montreal fans think of a straight up trade, Eller for Despres?

I think if Suter does sign in Pittsburgh, Despres could be a candidate for a trade, as has been rumured recentrly. Eller wouldn't be my first choice, but could be a really nice fit as a LW for the Pens. MTL is very deep on D, but they may like to take the opportunity to add another good, francophone Dman in Despres.

Thoughts?

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:43 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason29walker View Post
Just curious, what would the value of Lars Eller's RFA rights if Montreal were to trade them.

Thanks.
I think it would be a little bit more than a similar Backlund.

So like, a late 1st?

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:57 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBeard View Post
Has Eller had any time with decent line mates on the Habs? If so, how did he do? It seems like he's been stuck with mucker and grinders nearly the whole time he has been in N.A. He had 45-ish games with Yan friggin' Stastny on his line in the AHL. Then he gets Pascal Pelletier(quality AHL scoring forward) for the last 20-ish games and immediately starts scoring over a PPG clip. Coincidence? I think not.

I would love to have him back on the Blues but I know that's not going to happen. I was so looking forward to seeing Eller-Backes-Oshie play together at least a few times and now that Tarasenko is on his way over for next year we could have seen a line something like Steen-Eller-Tarasenko this year. I am glad Habs fans have came around on their opinion of him because I remember defending him quite a bit after that trade because I watched a good deal of his games in the AHL.
At the beginning of the season they tried using him at LW, but he doesn't look comfortable there. He needs to control the play and be strong on the puck to be effective.

His best sequence of play was when he was on a line with Moen and Kostitsyn. That was an awesome 3rd line. Him and Kostitsyn had offensive chemistry while Moen was the muscle and grinder. The problem was that the team sucked so much it made no difference how well they played.

He's good defensively, but he tries too much offensively. Either he'll hold on to the puck too long to make a play, or he makes a play and isn't on the same page as his linemates. He thinks too much.

The way I'd describe it is that he's like someone who wanted to be the best chess player in the world, so he read every single book about chess, but never played.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 11:21 PM
dan1el

Peter Regin, dane for dane.

No hope of him being traded IMO

dan1el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:14 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post

I think if Suter does sign in Pittsburgh, Despres could be a candidate for a trade, as has been rumured recentrly. Eller wouldn't be my first choice, but could be a really nice fit as a LW for the Pens. MTL is very deep on D, but they may like to take the opportunity to add another good, francophone Dman in Despres.

Thoughts?
I doubt or want Eller to get traded but if he did that would the kind of trade that makes sense.

I think there is a need to find a long-term partner for Subban. Gorges is fine for now but I'd like to find someone else, a bit bigger and younger and more involved in the play. Gorges can partner with someone else.

It's kind of hard to determine what we want or need until we see which direction our GM and coach want to take the organization.

Frozenice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:19 AM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

I miss him here in the St. Louis. In a couple of years, he's going to be a solid number 2 center. I hope he turns out to be the player that he was projected to be and has a solid career in Montreal.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 04:15 AM
Hansen 36
BASED JIM BENNING

vCash: 420
Canucks 2013 1st + Yann Sauve?

Jensen - Eller - Hansen 3rd line would be absolutely deadly

Hansen 36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 04:51 AM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBeard View Post

Eller actually got half (or so, I believe...if memory serves me correctly) a game with Pacioretty and Cole...but obviously Desharnais made his mark on those 2 and they were kept together on a team with an inexperienced coach with a team bereft of offence.

Eller has looked very good...despite what that other Habs fan said Palushaj looked pretty good when paired with some guys who can score, and I'm really hoping for a 3rd line of Bourque-Eller-Palushaj.

This will mean Moen is on the 4th line too, which is great.

Old
06-29-2012, 04:57 AM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
I miss him here in the St. Louis. In a couple of years, he's going to be a solid number 2 center. I hope he turns out to be the player that he was projected to be and has a solid career in Montreal.
I really hope in 4 years time the Habs top 2 centers are Lars Eller and Alex Galchenyuk.

Long ways away from all that though...I'm excited to see what Eller does. He will either refine his game a bit more and become a faaaantastic 3rd line centerman...or take the next step in a couple of areas and become a 2nd line center.

Old
06-29-2012, 06:51 AM
Intense Rage

I know I am going to get flamed for this one but imo I see Eller at his peak being a great third line center and a mediocre 2nd line center. At the most I would give up a late first for him but I doubt Montreal lets him go for that.

Intense Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:29 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen 36 View Post
Canucks 2013 1st + Yann Sauve?

Jensen - Eller - Hansen 3rd line would be absolutely deadly
That's an interesting suggestion and I would have to think hard about if I were the GM as I would love to get an extra 1st even if it's a late one as next year could be a sick draft class plus Sauve would be a nice additon so the value is there for sure.

But for the Habs they are weakest down the middle (and in nets after Price) and their biggest strength is their young defensemen so that's a tough sell unless they think Gally can step in at some point if not this season then the following.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post

Thoughts?
I like Despres, thought the Habs were going to pick him in '09 but with Beaulieu, Tinordi, Ellis, Bennett, Thrower, and Deitz the Habs have a number of interesting D prospects and already are looking at a very crowded blueline in Hamilton next season so I would pass.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:31 AM
JAVO16

Eller looked very good on a line with Moen and Kostitsyn. At times, they were our best line. However, for some reason (I think the coach didn't like Akost surprisingly), the line didn't spend a lot of time together despite their successes. I would sign back Akost just for that reason.

As for trading him, won't happen. He either succeeds or fails to become a top6 center in Montreal.

JAVO16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:05 AM
Frank Drebin

vCash: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense Rage View Post
I know I am going to get flamed for this one but imo I see Eller at his peak being a great third line center and a mediocre 2nd line center. At the most I would give up a late first for him but I doubt Montreal lets him go for that.
I agree with your assessment of his potential but his value is higher than that.

Frank Drebin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 04:07 PM
RomersWorld*

What do you guys think of Brooks Laich as a comparable ceiling for Eller?

RomersWorld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 04:20 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post
What do you guys think of Brooks Laich as a comparable ceiling for Eller?

I think he's got more speed, creativity & playmaking ability than Laich, but isn't quite as big or physical. I think Valtteri Filppula is a better comparable, and although I like Laich, I think Eller has more upside potential if he reaches it.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote