HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bowman plans to "improve from within"

Old
06-28-2012, 01:12 PM
ndgt10

vCash: 500
Bowman plans to "improve from within"

To fill our holes. He called into the NHL channel yesterday. Didn't sound too confident in himself, IMO. He also said he might add a new face or two, but I got the impression not to expect it to be a significant addition.

Let's hope we can fill our need for 2 top 6 forwards, 2 top 4 dmen, and 1 goalie from within!

ndgt10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 01:25 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndgt10 View Post
To fill our holes. He called into the NHL channel yesterday. Didn't sound too confident in himself, IMO. He also said he might add a new face or two, but I got the impression not to expect it to be a significant addition.

Let's hope we can fill our need for 2 top 6 forwards, 2 top 4 dmen, and 1 goalie from within!
ndgt breaking down his interpretation of Stan Bowman's voice during a cookie cutter call to a sports radio program.....what an insightful post.

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 01:26 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
So.... someone want to fill in the details on what he actually said, or....?

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 01:30 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
So.... someone want to fill in the details on what he actually said, or....?
"Rex is our QB"

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 01:30 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Bowman went onto NHL live and said that they aren't bringing back the same team as last year but he anticipates and expects players to be better than last year, either by taking a step in development (Stalberg, Leddy, Kruger, Olsen) or by bouncing back (Crawford, Kane).

He said they're not planning to make no changes, but if that's how it works out, that they're confident in the players they have on their roster/in their system that they'll be better than they were this past season. He also said they're always open to improving the team and that includes in goal.

In short, from the call-in, I expect Chicago to bring in a FA/make a couple trades, promote guys like Saad, Olsen, etc and to bank on a Crawford bounce-back, with a shorter leash.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 01:57 PM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

We're doomed! Doooooooomed!

Crazy_Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 02:01 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
"Rex is our QB"
Bringing Sexy Rexy back.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 02:09 PM
zytz
lumberjack

I think this is the right move honestly. As much as I like to drool over Suter or Parise, we've got a great team that shined at times last year, but was too lazy or unmotivated too many times and got burned as a result. Our bottom 6 isn't the best, but our top 6 is certainly in the conversation for being the best, and Rockford is starting to get very crowded with guys ready to join the big show.

I think this season represents a last chance for Q and Co. as well as Crawford. Q has about as much talent available that can be packed into a PP or PK unit, yet both are ****, and Crawford quite simply has to be better. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for last season, sophomore slump and team D was super awful overall, but even considering all that he has to be better than he was to remain a starter. More importantly, Q has to show that he's in control of this team, and that he can properly make use of this stacked roster we have. If we have similar results to the two previous seasons Q is going to have to go, and if Bowman won't let him go then Bowman might have to go. I don't mind that he slow or deliberate or cautious in his decision making, but he's given Q the rope to hang himself this coming season, IMO, and if Q does hang himself like I suspect he will then Bowman has to follow through and get rid of the guy in favor of someone who the roster will respond to.

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 02:17 PM
xX Hot Fuss

Dissapointing. We have the cap space and traceable parts to fill in our holes.

xX Hot Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 05:14 PM
HawksTillDeath

Leafs: "We will not take Schenn - he's part of the long-term solution for the team"

What GM's say and do are completely different - all the time!

HawksTillDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 05:42 PM
Hawkaholic

Well, it's not like we can improve the team through free agency, outside of Parise, Doan, and Suter.

Giving up good assets in a trade while being bent over is our only other option.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:18 PM
BobbyJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
Bowman went onto NHL live and said that they aren't bringing back the same team as last year but he anticipates and expects players to be better than last year, either by taking a step in development (Stalberg, Leddy, Kruger, Olsen) or by bouncing back (Crawford, Kane).

He said they're not planning to make no changes, but if that's how it works out, that they're confident in the players they have on their roster/in their system that they'll be better than they were this past season. He also said they're always open to improving the team and that includes in goal.

In short, from the call-in, I expect Chicago to bring in a FA/make a couple trades, promote guys like Saad, Olsen, etc and to bank on a Crawford bounce-back, with a shorter leash.
No real surprise but here comes my rant. Stan must decide what it's going to be. Is he targetting a 3 or more year time period before this team is ready to win it all, or is he going to bring in some veteran presence now and go for it? Trying to play both ends of the equation by bringing in patchwork, bargain basement players will backfire as it has up until now. If we go with prospects, and build on that, I think it is doable but where does that leave an aging Hossa or to a lesser degree Sharp, 3 years from now? At the very least, Hossa needs to be shopped if that is the plan, and replaced with a younger player. I love Hoss but if Stan hasn't the stones to take a chance on a Doan and/or a Bernier, and/or a Steve Thomas etc now .... then trade him while he has genuine value.
Alas, it won't happen ... and I'm getting fed up with Stan's wishy washy management style.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:30 PM
Hawkaholic

Hossa and Sharp will be great players still in 3 years, they will only be ..what? 33/34?

Overpaying in term and in dollars for last year or this years VERY weak UFA class does not make any sense for any team with a great core like ours.

Old
06-28-2012, 08:31 PM
MagicSlap*

I think the season after this one is his real target. That's when the prospects we've drafted over the last few years should be solid regular NHLers on cheap ELCs.

MagicSlap* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:34 PM
BobbyJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Hossa and Sharp will be great players still in 3 years, they will only be ..what? 33/34?

Overpaying in term and in dollars for last year or this years VERY weak UFA class does not make any sense for any team with a great core like ours.
Hossa will be 36 and he hasn't ever had an easy season with his style. He's been injury prone as well, that isn't likely to get better with age.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:40 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:

Sharp will be 33, Hossa will be 36.

But as Bobby Jet said you can't have it both ways, you either go with the youth movement and go that route, or you go hard for winning now and go that route, if you try to do both you end up average on both routes and win nothing.

As others have said Bowman is afraid, he is afraid to go all in one way or the other because then if it fails he would be seen as a failure. What he fails to realize is that if he continues down the path his is on and only makes this team slightly above average for the next 10 years that an even bigger failure.

Look at what teams who where/are close are willing to do, Pens move Staal, Flyers move Richards, Carter, Kings accuire Richards, Carter, Canucks moved Hodgson, and will move Luongo.

Bowman doesn't seem to be willing to do either, I would much rather he make a big move to try and make this team better then sit on his hands and hope it works out.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:41 PM
Hawkaholic

The only thing that is worrisome about Hossa is how he plays after the concussion. I wouldn't say hes injury prone either, hes missed 68 games in his last 11 years. Just had some bad luck the last couple of years.

Old
06-28-2012, 08:48 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
Sharp will be 33, Hossa will be 36.

But as Bobby Jet said you can't have it both ways, you either go with the youth movement and go that route, or you go hard for winning now and go that route, if you try to do both you end up average on both routes and win nothing.

As others have said Bowman is afraid, he is afraid to go all in one way or the other because then if it fails he would be seen as a failure. What he fails to realize is that if he continues down the path his is on and only makes this team slightly above average for the next 10 years that an even bigger failure.

Look at what teams who where/are close are willing to do, Pens move Staal, Flyers move Richards, Carter, Kings accuire Richards, Carter, Canucks moved Hodgson, and will move Luongo.

Bowman doesn't seem to be willing to do either, I would much rather he make a big move to try and make this team better then sit on his hands and hope it works out.
Trading Hossa makes this team worse, trading Sharp makes the team worse..teams aren't going to line up to take on Hossa's contract, and we aren't a shotty organization that trades players right after signing them to long term contracts.

The flyers arent any better after trading Richards and Carter, the Pens are a worse team after trading Staal..they didnt even really want to trade him, and Vancouver has to trade Luongo in order to fit in Schneider..they are/were in a completely different situation than we are in. We can still win a cup in 3 years with a declining Hossa. A 75% Hossa, is still better than most of the garbage available the last 2 yrs of free agency.

Old
06-28-2012, 09:04 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Trading Hossa makes this team worse, trading Sharp makes the team worse..teams aren't going to line up to take on Hossa's contract, and we aren't a shotty organization that trades players right after signing them to long term contracts.

The flyers arent any better after trading Richards and Carter, the Pens are a worse team after trading Staal..they didnt even really want to trade him, and Vancouver has to trade Luongo in order to fit in Schneider..they are/were in a completely different situation than we are in. We can still win a cup in 3 years with a declining Hossa. A 75% Hossa, is still better than most of the garbage available the last 2 yrs of free agency.
So they go for it now.

This team has a major strength in wingers, lots of very talented forwards and talented prospects.

This team also have some major weakness's lack of #2 C, lack of true top 4 Dman and lack of #1 goalie. Why not use that strength to improve that weakness.

I don't get people on this board thinking this team will magically get better without making some major moves, #1 goalies, top 4 Dmen and #2 C don't come free, don't grow on trees and aren't sitting around in FA waiting for the Hawks to call. It's time to make some moves and improve this team or sell off some pieces and rebuild for a few years from now because as constituted and as going this team will be an early play-off exit team for the next few years.

Old
06-28-2012, 09:11 PM
zytz
lumberjack

Honestly I think Stan is going with the SJS model... incrementally improve the team or adjust so as to stay competitive year after year. Take more shots at the cup over time instead of putting all your resources into a make it or break it year

Old
06-28-2012, 09:20 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Steve Thomas? Isn't he in his mid forties?

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 09:29 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zytz View Post
Honestly I think Stan is going with the SJS model... incrementally improve the team or adjust so as to stay competitive year after year. Take more shots at the cup over time instead of putting all your resources into a make it or break it year
Yeah, and how well has that worked for the SJS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Steve Thomas? Isn't he in his mid forties?
He said a Steve Thomas type, not Steve Thomas himself.

Old
06-28-2012, 09:32 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

When we brought Steve Thomas back he was at the end of his rope. We already tried Andrew Brunette.

Old
06-28-2012, 09:41 PM
zytz
lumberjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
Yeah, and how well has that worked for the SJS?
Pretty good overall, I'd say. They were in the playoffs and highly competitive every year for a good stretch; you can point at their lack of cup and say it's because the strategy is ineffective but you'd be wrong.

if you put all your chips on the table for one season you're just 1 or 2 key injuries away from instantly becoming a non-contender. If youre in contention every year the above still applies, but chances are low it happens every single year.

I think the Sharks specific problem is that their core was built on players that were just a little too old. I think they're realizing that now and are in a weird semi-rebuild sort of phase where their young talent is beginning to take the reins from the like of Thornton and Marleau.

The benefit we have is the majority of our core is under 30, and we have a glut of young guys in Rockford ready to start jumping in as guys like Hossa start to age, and Toews and Kane will continue doing what they do because in 5 years they'll both still be in their twenties, and will both be the offensive centerpieces as they are now. Transitioning aging players out should go much better for us because they aren't our centerpiece players or our captain.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:05 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zytz View Post
Pretty good overall, I'd say. They were in the playoffs and highly competitive every year for a good stretch; you can point at their lack of cup and say it's because the strategy is ineffective but you'd be wrong.

if you put all your chips on the table for one season you're just 1 or 2 key injuries away from instantly becoming a non-contender. If youre in contention every year the above still applies, but chances are low it happens every single year.

I think the Sharks specific problem is that their core was built on players that were just a little too old. I think they're realizing that now and are in a weird semi-rebuild sort of phase where their young talent is beginning to take the reins from the like of Thornton and Marleau.

The benefit we have is the majority of our core is under 30, and we have a glut of young guys in Rockford ready to start jumping in as guys like Hossa start to age, and Toews and Kane will continue doing what they do because in 5 years they'll both still be in their twenties, and will both be the offensive centerpieces as they are now. Transitioning aging players out should go much better for us because they aren't our centerpiece players or our captain.
The Sharks failed. Losing in the second round a lot isn't anything worth bragging about.