HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blue Jackets "make pitch to Justin Schultz"

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2012, 10:50 AM
Rimers stache

vCash: 500
Blue Jackets "make pitch to Justin Schultz"

Per Portzline's twitter "#CBJ have made an offer to free agent D Justin Schultz. No reason to believe Schultz is considering them, but they have joined the pursuit."

Old
06-27-2012, 11:11 AM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimers stache View Post
Per Portzline's twitter "#CBJ have made an offer to free agent D Justin Schultz. No reason to believe Schultz is considering them, but they have joined the pursuit."
We need 30 dmen on the roster bc what we got aint good nuff

Old
06-27-2012, 11:11 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
"Heya. We might not have a roster spot available and we've got a metric ****ton of depth you'd have to vault over, but, well, if you're interested..."

Due Diligence Is Good. Sign ALL the defensemen!

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
06-27-2012, 11:21 AM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Lol. Why waste our time.

Old
06-27-2012, 11:24 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
"Heya. We might not have a roster spot available and we've got a metric ****ton of depth you'd have to vault over, but, well, if you're interested..."

Due Diligence Is Good. Sign ALL the defensemen!

Old
06-27-2012, 11:37 AM
CapnCornelius

It is a smart PR move if nothing else.

Interestingly, Bob Mackenzie tweeted the following shortly before Porty:

No teams invited yet to meet/present/offer Schultz but EDM for sure and quite likely VAN have management people in TOR waiting for chance.

So, not sure how the two things line up.

Old
06-27-2012, 11:38 AM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Kick those tires, Scotty. Maybe the universe where the .005% chance of him signing with Columbus happens is the one we are living in!

Old
06-27-2012, 11:43 AM
Skraut

Why do I have a feeling that the pitch is going to be...

...Juuuuust a bit outside.

Old
06-27-2012, 11:54 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
It is a smart PR move if nothing else.

Interestingly, Bob Mackenzie tweeted the following shortly before Porty:

No teams invited yet to meet/present/offer Schultz but EDM for sure and quite likely VAN have management people in TOR waiting for chance.

So, not sure how the two things line up.
I wonder if it's going to be like college football recruiting. Here is the home base, everyone come in and make a pitch. If you don't like my dog, then **** you.

(Sounds weird, but I actually know of one major recruit about 10 years ago who turned down his own first choice because the head coach, at a home visit, kept pushing the kid's mangy dog away)

Old
06-27-2012, 12:00 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Lol. Why waste our time.
So you don't like Murray, you don't like Methot, you think Schultz is a waste of time. Please enlighten us as to what defensemen on our roster are good, and which ones we should be pursuing. Either that or do us a favor and keep it zipped, 'cause these comments are not adding to the conversation at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Incidentally, the story that that picture comes from is a fair approximation of my own life.

Old
06-27-2012, 12:06 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

You know what would be funny, is, if he like, signed here and stuff. Then, in training camp, he and James Wisniewski get into a fight over who is the better right hand shot, and they both end each other's career simultaneously.

The CBJ curse lives on...

Old
06-27-2012, 12:12 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
You know what would be funny, is, if he like, signed here and stuff. Then, in training camp, he and James Wisniewski get into a fight over who is the better right hand shot, and they both end each other's career simultaneously.

The CBJ curse lives on...
Then there'd be a renewed call for firings on the basis of something stupid having happened, and for not being clairvoyant enough to have seen it happening.

Old
06-27-2012, 12:14 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

I've decided, for the sake of sanity and as I've done with The John Davidson news, I will not be expecting anything to happen on these fronts...

However, if the CBJ are making calls or making a pitch, I expect it to be more than just "testing the waters".... Be direct and be assertive. You don't get to stop trying to improve because people turn you down.

Old
06-27-2012, 12:15 PM
blahblah

Good to hear he's trying. It will be interesting to see who he ends up signing with and the terms.

Old
06-27-2012, 12:22 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Then there'd be a renewed call for firings on the basis of something stupid having happened, and for not being clairvoyant enough to have seen it happening.
Nah, that would be an unforseeable disaster. Unlike having Bobrovsky and Mason being your goalie tandem which would be a forseeable disasster.

Old
06-27-2012, 12:40 PM
Matt Foley
Hey Ryan

It would only be a waste of time for Howson to make Schultz an offer if he thought Schultz was a pile of crap. If Hell froze over and he signed with the Jackets, then it would just create an opportunity for them to flip a redundant asset for one they could use more, like a forward.

Old
06-27-2012, 12:59 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
So you don't like Murray, you don't like Methot, you think Schultz is a waste of time. Please enlighten us as to what defensemen on our roster are good, and which ones we should be pursuing. Either that or do us a favor and keep it zipped, 'cause these comments are not adding to the conversation at all.

Incidentally, the story that that picture comes from is a fair approximation of my own life.
No, I don't like Murray. I have nothing on Methot, good player, just not a fit here anymore. What's wrong with that? Our good Dmen include JJ, Wis, Tyutin, Nikitin. The rest are kids feeling their way in the NHL, Marc Methot, and Ryan Murray. What's the point of pursuing Schultz, just to say you tried? If you don't have any chance to sign the kid, because he's said he wants to play in Canada, why try?

Old
06-27-2012, 01:02 PM
Xoggz22

I like the idea of submitting an offer. Why WOULDN'T you? So what if he doesn't come to C-bus. We've been hearing we'll do everything possible to make this team better. If we don't at least offer I think that adds more fuel to the fire.

If we didn't offer, I can only imagine the HF fodder on here. Can't win no matter what we do right?

Old
06-27-2012, 01:13 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
I like the idea of submitting an offer. Why WOULDN'T you? So what if he doesn't come to C-bus. We've been hearing we'll do everything possible to make this team better. If we don't at least offer I think that adds more fuel to the fire.

If we didn't offer, I can only imagine the HF fodder on here. Can't win no matter what we do right?
I'm torn, there's so many different arguments here.

I like the idea of it, gives us a chance to bolster an area of strength, freeing up other players to trade or for the inevitable injury.

I just can't get past the way he became a UFA. Not that I think the players should be slaves to the team that drafted them, but by manipulating his situation and dropping out of school the way he did, he set himself up to be a free agent.

It could be read as doing whatever it takes to get ahead in the world, but I kind of see it as putting self in front of team. If I'm building a team, those aren't the type of people I'm coveting.

Would love to be proven wrong, but when you look at other people who have manipulated the "system" to their advantage... Zherdev holding out, Radulov's saga, it doesn't speak well to his character, or put him in good company.

Old
06-27-2012, 01:33 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
I'm torn, there's so many different arguments here.

I like the idea of it, gives us a chance to bolster an area of strength, freeing up other players to trade or for the inevitable injury.

I just can't get past the way he became a UFA. Not that I think the players should be slaves to the team that drafted them, but by manipulating his situation and dropping out of school the way he did, he set himself up to be a free agent.

It could be read as doing whatever it takes to get ahead in the world, but I kind of see it as putting self in front of team. If I'm building a team, those aren't the type of people I'm coveting.

Would love to be proven wrong, but when you look at other people who have manipulated the "system" to their advantage... Zherdev holding out, Radulov's saga, it doesn't speak well to his character, or put him in good company.
The only actual comparables I can think of are Blake Wheeler and Kiel McLeod. Both of them ended up using an age-related loophole to become free agents, rather than re-enter the draft or sign with the team that selected them.

Old
06-27-2012, 01:47 PM
Skraut

Quote:
The only actual comparables I can think of are Blake Wheeler and Kiel McLeod. Both of them ended up using an age-related loophole to become free agents, rather than re-enter the draft or sign with the team that selected them.
I was talking about loopholes in general, and the 2 Russians were the first to come to mind.

Old
06-27-2012, 01:56 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Mike Van Ryn.

06-27-2012, 01:59 PM
Matt

Wasn't Goleabeuf a teammate of his?

Old
06-27-2012, 02:27 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Mike Van Ryn.
I knew I was forgetting someone.

If I remember correctly, that was during that bizarre NCAA rule period. A player exiting high school was automatically draft-eligible. A player was automatically draft-eligible after his sophomore, junior, and senior years....but a player could opt into the draft after his freshman year, but at the expense of his college eligibility.

To this day, I have no idea why that rule existed.

Old
06-27-2012, 02:50 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post

Many here in Ohio are rather fond of a geeky QB from U of Miami who gamed the system to end up with his childhood team in Cleveland. Chances are, though, Schultz did not grow up with dreams of becoming a key to the first Cup run in Columbus!

Closed Thread