HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Justin Schultz Part IV - Decision tomorrow (6/30)

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2012, 08:18 PM
Spice Trader

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Oh god I hope not. What a bleak future if that was the case.
a Tight core that signs discounted contracts that is one of the to contenders year in and year out?

Your right all of your #1's will hit ufa and bolt.. id hope for that instead.

If edmonton can contend as well as van has the last few years im sure 99% of there fans would be very happy.

Dont give me the havent won a cup BS MANY teams in the league havent won in 20 + years

Old
06-29-2012, 08:18 PM
Homesick

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
https://twitter.com/TheFourthPeriod/...45393331560448

To clarify, I've heard EDM & OTT are atop list for Schultz. Don't know if other 4 teams are out. Led to believe Oilers are frontrunners.

Who knows if anyone knows anything but here's another tweet.
meh, its the fourth period. If Bob MacKenzie, Darren Dreger, or to a lesser extent Ryan Rishaug (if he's going to the Oilers) say it I'll believe it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93gilmour93 View Post
Just because he was a great hockey player doesn't mean he knows what's best for Schultz. It's been said how close he is to gardiner and that is going to play a bigger role then some people think.
I have a lot of friends that work in the same industry as me. A friend might convince me to at least meet with his employers, but in no way will having a "buddy" there influence my decision on my future.

Old
06-29-2012, 08:20 PM
Sonny21
Registerd User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Mars View Post
I find it hard to believe anyone has knowledge on the situation seeing how tight lipped all parties are.
Agreed, if they're agency has told teams not say anything why they do it themselves or any of the teams?

It's pure speculation on Dreger and etc part, they don't know **** like rest of us.

Old
06-29-2012, 08:24 PM
PuckInTheNards

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Today is the Leafs and Sens turn to have an audience with Schultz. Anyone else? The Wild?

Newport Sports did this with Brad Richards last July. Teams will be bringing fruit baskets with them when they visit with Zach Parise on Sunday. A little brunch. Cheese. Crackers. Wine.

http://blogs.tennessean.com/predator...d-circle-back/
In related news, Minneapolis Police will cordon off the city to anyone not bearing Minnesota Wild credentials from July 1st through... whenever Suter signs.

Old
06-29-2012, 08:24 PM
SephF
Visually Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post

Skip to the 6:20 mark of the video:

I know everyone on HF likes to scoff at the rebuilding Oilers and dismiss them as bottom feeders but the greatest player whoever played sees the opportunity as similar to the one he had in Edmonton 30 years ago.

That's probably pretty close to what he said to Schultz today. Just add Yakupov and subtract Renney

Old
06-29-2012, 08:26 PM
UnrefinedCrude

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post

Personally, I wouldn't want to live in Edmonton through winter having visited...
Hockey players are so busy in the winter, I doubt that is really a major concern, in fact you spend at least as much time on the road as at home in that time of year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDuck View Post
The kids cap hit will be 3.5+, have fun paying that rookie Canada.
If he even comes close to hitting his bonuses fans of whichever team he signs with (Canada or USA,) will have fun watching.

Obviously as an Oilers fan I want him to sign n Edmonton. I think it would be a great fit for hm developmentally (any of the 5 on the 'short list' have a lot to offer him,) but clearly our team is the one who would need what he could offer more, in fact signing him could help us attract other suplimentary talent as well. we'd probably value him more, and he could look at a much higher likelihood of becoming a major part of our core, the other teams already have those key players.

Old
06-29-2012, 08:30 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

The fact that EDM (Gretzky call) and TOR (trade for rights) felt the need to pull out all the stops leads me to believe that VAN would have been the team that originally tampered (if indeed that allegation has validity). Would also explain Gillis' much more subdued, quietly confident approach.

06-29-2012, 08:33 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy Kassian View Post
From college to being on the top two pairing on a team that finished last two seasons ago... That can hurt his development, if he knows what's good for him he should realize that that money means nothing in the long run because of the player he will eventually be.
No one says he needs to be top 2. Only Top 4 in either average or total ice time. Petry did fine last season playing on a worse team with a worse defence than Schultz would be part of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
Fair point, best we could give him is #4, and that's being generous
haha thats all I would guarantee him too if I were the canucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeteranNetPresence View Post
sign with vancouver, play with better d-men, get more points, eased into a more established role
sign with edmonton, play with turn over machines - development suffers, get worse stats, get eaten alive playing against tough competition
I'm not sure playing bottom pair minutes in van is going to yield him more points than playing top 4 minutes and PP time on a better PP for the Oilers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back in 94 View Post
I don't think $200,000 is much to a professional athlete.
I think it is for a guy coming out of College signing an ELC with no guarantee of a second contract. What if he ends up getting injured during his ELC and can't play anymore? How much does that $200,000 mean to him then?

Not only is it probably that he makes his $212,500 A bonuses, it is more likely that he will make an extra $2,000,000 in B bonuses if he plays for the Oilers and not the Canucks. Although that could be a stretch for the first season, it becomes more achievable in the next 2 years of his contract.

Old
06-29-2012, 08:33 PM
UnrefinedCrude

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
The fact that EDM (Gretzky call) and TOR (trade for rights) felt the need to pull out all the stops leads me to believe that VAN would have been the team that originally tampered (if indeed that allegation has validity). Would also explain Gillis' much more subdued, quietly confident approach.
Personally I don't think anyone tampered, and Anaheim threw that little nugget out so there would always be a feeling of something shady, and that it wasn't as simple as the kid rejecting them

It's like my buddy who after striking out at the bar would invariably return to the table and say "she's a lesbian"

Old
06-29-2012, 08:34 PM
IranCondraAffair

Schultz has created a bad situation for himself. If he signs with Edmonton, Vancouver feels slighted. If he signs with Vancouver, Edmonton will feel slighted.

Old
06-29-2012, 08:35 PM
mdobbs

vCash: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by IranCondraAffair View Post
Schultz has created a bad situation for himself. If he signs with Edmonton, Vancouver feels slighted. If he signs with Vancouver, Edmonton will feel slighted.
And he should care why?

This is business. Everyone can't always be left smiling.

Old
06-29-2012, 08:36 PM
UnrefinedCrude

Quote:
oh my God, i guess that's one less Christmas card no matter which way you slice it!!

Old
T-Funk

Quote:
Schultz didn't do any of that.

Old
express

Quote:
It's business, they'll move on.

Old
06-29-2012, 08:37 PM
Bodmanza
Rebuild Inception

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrefinedCrude View Post
oh my God, i guess that's one less Christmas card no matter which way you slice it!!
post of the thread thus far.

i kinda hope he decides before 12:30 MDT tomorrow, I have a tee time :/

Old
06-29-2012, 08:37 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
I don't think that's really the case. I won't have any hard feelings towards the kid if he chooses to go to Vancouver. Good for him.

I think the only team that should feel slighted is the Ducks.

Old
06-29-2012, 08:38 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Obviously Gretzky and Coffey didn't call to talk about the current management group, they called to communicate how they honestly feel about the current opportunity in Edmonton. Here is what Gretzky said when asked about Ryan Nugent-Hopkins in an interview with Darren Dreger last season:

I know everyone on HF likes to scoff at the rebuilding Oilers and dismiss them as bottom feeders but the greatest player whoever played sees the opportunity as similar to the one he had in Edmonton 30 years ago.
It's kinda funny. The question before he starts really talking about the Oilers he says that if they "need me to call someone". Referring to free agents.

Old
The Bob Cole
Ohhhh Baby.

Quote:
Obviously Gretzky and Coffey didn't call to talk about the current management group, they called to communicate how they honestly feel about the current opportunity in Edmonton. Here is what Gretzky said when asked about Ryan Nugent-Hopkins in an interview with Darren Dreger last season:

A group of young guys coming up together, that's where the comparison will end.

Old
Slatsmsg

While Schultz has yet to prove anything, I hope to Christ the Oilers get him!

They can give him:
#1 pairing
#1 PP time
An upper echelon set of forwards to play with
A legitimate run at a number of cups as this team matures.

Make it happen Tambo!

Old
06-29-2012, 08:39 PM
UnrefinedCrude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
I don't think that's really the case. I won't have any hard feelings towards the kid if he chooses to go to Vancouver. Good for him.

I think the only team that should feel slighted is the Ducks.
same, i can't say i won't be a bit disappointed, but yeah he's going where he thinks he can forge the best future, and no one can fault him for that. Ducks fans should be the only ones who feel slighted, just don't expect any sympathy.

Old
06-29-2012, 08:39 PM
SDig14

Quote:
I don't think Edmonton will be that upset, except for a small portion of fans.

The fact we are in the running and potentially in the top 2 of 30 teams right now we don't really have much to be worked up about if he decides to play in BC or go play with a buddy that he's played with in the past.

I'm just happy they are going all out with Coffey, Hall, 99, etc., because at least we can feel confident we went all in.

Old
06-29-2012, 08:40 PM
beastly115

Quote:
He should just quit hockey. Dont want to hurt anyone's feelings!

Old
06-29-2012, 08:40 PM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
Schultz didn't do any of that.
Agreed, people should realize by now that Shultz and his management have said very little to nothing to the media. So everything you are hearing from the media is BS that they are either making up or have heard 3rd hand which is being produced for ratings.

If anything, the people who are made at Schultz for creating a spectacle should be mad at themselves and/or he media for actually making a regular contract negotiation into a spectacle.

Should high schoolers who are picking colleges be considered arrogant *******s because they tour multiple campuses and do their due dilligence?

Old
06-29-2012, 08:43 PM
UnrefinedCrude

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
Agreed, people should realize by now that Shultz and his management have said very little to nothing to the media.
I don't think I have heard the kid speak, or frankly even seen a clear picture of his face.

i am not sure if the 'loophole' or rather provision in the CBA for his situation needs to be closed/remedied or whatever. But he has a unique opportunity to control his fate at the beginning of his career, in sport that is rare, he would be foolish, and his agent incompetent if they didn't explore their option. (This should include the Ducks as well, in the evaluation process.)

Old
06-29-2012, 08:48 PM
dookers9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsRatchet View Post
My thoughts exactly. They really had to get Gretzky & Coffey? Lol...
Lol indeed. Of course, if the Canucks were to enlist Linden and McLean to do the same, Vancouver fans would have an appreciation for the tactic. Or Richter and Graves for NYR. Or Gilmour and Palmateer for the Leafs.

Haters...gonna...hate. Methinks you're a hater doing some hating.

Enjoy.

In the meantime, Schultz signs in Vancouver - his parents apparently have Canucks season tix. I don't think that you turn that down. He might not be "guaranteed" the roster spot that others have offered, but he'll have every chance to make an impression and lock into the top 4.

Closed Thread