HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shea Weber should be # 1 priority

Old
06-28-2012, 07:41 PM
jmack4

vCash: 500
Shea Weber should be # 1 priority

Given that Suter is likely gone, GMDP's #1 priority this summer should be to lock up Shea Weber (see Pittsburgh - Crosby). If Weber signs the 1-year QO, then it's time to look to trade Weber and restock the system for the next "window of opportunity". It was OK to keep Suter this year because the Preds by year-end had a team capable of competing for the Cup, but without Suter or a significant upgrade to the top 2 lines, the 12-13 version of the Preds is 5th-10th place material in the West.

If however, Suter signs long term, then even if Weber only signs the 1yr QO we might keep him to make one last run with the Weber/Suter top pair.

jmack4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 07:56 PM
NoNecksCurse

i agree. if weber won't sign long term, trade him now

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:09 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

The fact that Suter and Poile keep talking and that Poile hasn't traded Suter's rights is indicative that the team sees a chance that Suter will remain even after testing the market. With Suter not yet signed, but not yet definitively gone, we have a tough situation where Suter has to remain the #1 priority until his situation is resolved then priority shifts to Weber. Weber can't bolt on Sunday ... worst case he files for arbitration or signs an offer sheet.

If Weber is unwilling to sign long term, he becomes trade bait. There's time to get a good return, but, if he won't commit the smart move is to avoid the silly season again this time next season.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:30 PM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack4 View Post
Given that Suter is likely gone, GMDP's #1 priority this summer should be to lock up Shea Weber (see Pittsburgh - Crosby). If Weber signs the 1-year QO, then it's time to look to trade Weber and restock the system for the next "window of opportunity". It was OK to keep Suter this year because the Preds by year-end had a team capable of competing for the Cup, but without Suter or a significant upgrade to the top 2 lines, the 12-13 version of the Preds is 5th-10th place material in the West.

If however, Suter signs long term, then even if Weber only signs the 1yr QO we might keep him to make one last run with the Weber/Suter top pair.
Agreed. Look at what Shero got for Staal.

If Weber signs a 1 yr deal or won't commit longterm by September, DP has to move him. He'll get a massive haul, but he won't be worth a fraction of that in February.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:31 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Just waiting for the offer sheets, hopefully

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 09:34 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

even if a team throws an offer sheet, it will have to be absurd for us not to match. Weber could use it as leverage to get the deal he wants, but I think Poile will give him whatever he wants

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:01 PM
NshPredFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
even if a team throws an offer sheet, it will have to be absurd for us not to match. Weber could use it as leverage to get the deal he wants, but I think Poile will give him whatever he wants
I agree. If Weber doesn't resign, it won't be because of money. At this point I think Poile may even give him a 10 plus year deal to keep him around.

NshPredFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:47 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
you have to wonder what Weber is waiting on.... is he really out if Suter leaves even if the rest if the team is strong??

if so thats pretty lame of a Captain...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:16 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
you have to wonder what Weber is waiting on.... is he really out if Suter leaves even if the rest if the team is strong??

if so thats pretty lame of a Captain...
seriously ? ... Got to believe he's waiting until July 1st to see what Poile does to help strengthen the team where it needs to be ... sit on your thumbs or sign some guys ... they've played together for a long damn time, of course he's waiting for the facilitator to make his decision ... got to wait for the offer sheet imho

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:28 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarding Assets View Post
seriously ? ... Got to believe he's waiting until July 1st to see what Poile does to help strengthen the team where it needs to be ... sit on your thumbs or sign some guys ... they've played together for a long damn time, of course he's waiting for the facilitator to make his decision ... got to wait for the offer sheet imho
you missed where I said "if the rest of the team is still strong"... by which I meant Poile acts to plug the hole left by Suter and makes another good acquisition or two....

what I am asking is, does Suter leaving = Weber leaving no matter what? because thats what a lot of people seem to assume..

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:39 AM
darth5
Rowsdower!

I have read and understood and to an extent agree with) all the talk about 'This is his chance for a big payday," "Suter has earned the right to test the market," etc. But I absolutely hate what this does to the Preds IF he is just waiting for the bidding war to escalate. By the time he waits for the auction to end and leaves, the free agent cupboard is BARE. There is no room for contingencies outside some monster trade to build a roster close to last year's D core. Signing Gill does not address this at all. Top pair capable D men are not going to just hang around. Look at the ridiculous Wideman contract. I predict if Suter takes a top dollar offer to leave, GMDP has to make serious trades to get this team back to the same competitive level. And if he doesn't, we lose Weber next year anyway.

To leave such consequences in the hands of a player like this shows an asset management failure IMHO.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:40 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

With our cap situation, Poile can be in on everyone he wants to be in and wait on Suter. Esp forward wise. The gamble comes from if Suter leaves July 2nd, 3rd, 4th, Carle will be gone. That is the only replacement for Suter on the market as far as a vet goes. Leaves us with 3 vets in Weber/Gill/Klein and 3 kids in Josi/Ellis/Blum. We sign a vet for 7th dman experience.

Old
06-29-2012, 10:51 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
With our cap situation, Poile can be in on everyone he wants to be in and wait on Suter. Esp forward wise. The gamble comes from if Suter leaves July 2nd, 3rd, 4th, Carle will be gone. That is the only replacement for Suter on the market as far as a vet goes. Leaves us with 3 vets in Weber/Gill/Klein and 3 kids in Josi/Ellis/Blum. We sign a vet for 7th dman experience.
Wonder what it would take to pry Yandle out of Phoenix.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:54 AM
Prongo
Beer

Man you guys/girls have no idea what I would give you for Shea Weber to be on the Flyers.

http://www.truehockey.com/articles/R...lus-NHL-Scoops

Quote:
Sources say Weber won’t sign long-term if Suter leaves and David Poile can’t afford to lose both players for nothing. He may have no choice but to trade Weber. Being in Poile’s shoes is not a comfortable place right now.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:55 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
A hell of a lot more than I want to pay.

Rather get JBO for way less.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:56 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
it wouldn't take our strentgh in D prospects as they are loaded. It would take at least 2 out of Wilson/Smith/Watson I would think right now. Phoenix may have trouble hitting the floor if they trade Yandle. they have 4 holes in their lineup with 10-12 million to play with to hit it. I think that is why they took on Michalek. Maybe if we signed sk for 3-3.5 and traded him and a iece for Yandle it could work.

Old
06-29-2012, 11:08 AM
Shea Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Man you guys/girls have no idea what I would give you for Shea Weber to be on the Flyers.

http://www.truehockey.com/articles/R...lus-NHL-Scoops
Giroux + prospect D

..and I'll give you my username.

Shea Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:14 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea Weber View Post
Giroux + prospect D

..and I'll give you my username.

We don't have any d prospects Well Manning isn't that bad.

Couturier would probably be needed to begin any talks, and most Flyer fans would be okay with including him in a deal for him. Giroux is pretty much off the table for now, until he signs his long term deal.

Old
06-29-2012, 11:24 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Anyone else think its bizarre that Shea is negotiating the cost it would take to trade for...him?

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:38 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Didn't we hear about how untrustworthy Andy Strickland is when he was saying things like "Told Suter wants to remain in Nashville, but also wants to win. Talks continue"?

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:42 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Didn't we hear about how untrustworthy Andy Strickland is when he was saying things like "Told Suter wants to remain in Nashville, but also wants to win. Talks continue"?
I always thought he was reliable. Just recently I have seen people starting talking about his credibility. I don't know why though. Maybe I just haven't seen it while I have been around here, but he still is a credible source IMO.

Old
06-29-2012, 12:02 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I'm not sure if he is credible or not, though, as posters here will tell you, I am extremely cautious with trusting bloggers who claim "sources" told them something. That isn't to say I think signing Weber is going to a breeze even if Suter leaves, but I think it is oversimplified to say "If Suter leaves, Weber leaves" without any context.

As I mentioned on the Trade forum, if Suter cannot be signed due to something like Poile being unwilling to match the length of a deal because of insurance concerns then, yes, Weber is definitely out the door. Rightfully so, I might add. If Suter leaves for personal reasons (family, likes the team/atmosphere better, he can completely get out from under Weber's shadow and shine like he did in the Olympics, et al) I don't see it making Weber's extension negotiations any more difficult.

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:00 PM
RaiderDoug

I'd be OK with a 10 year deal for Weber. The guys the best D-man in the NHL, will be for a very long time. They tend not to age like forwards (see Lidstrom, Neidermeyer, Borque - all very effective very late in their careers).

There's probably no $$ or term that would be a bad investment for a player of Weber's caliber. Even if you matched the Crosby deal, it would pay off.

If I was DP, I'd make him a monster offer on August 1, and make it public. If no deal by Sept 1, he's on the block to the highest bidder by training camp.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote