HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

11'/12' Offseason /Trades/Signings: Few days till Free Agency Frenzy.

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2012, 12:15 AM
Crispy Crust

vCash: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
MacArthur is what you call a black hole on offense. The guy misses countless chances created for him by Grabovski. He takes idiotic penalties that dictate the course of the game. He has finish that you can't teach but he's a replaceable player IMO. If Burke considers him a core piece, then God help us.
We should have traded him at the deadline. I'm hoping he is dealt so it opens up room for Kadri in the top 6.

Old
07-01-2012, 12:16 AM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Personally, I think all the GMs have a pretty good idea of who they do have a chance at signing and who they don't. I think agents have ways of letting teams know if their clients may be interested or not. Similarly, I think teams have ways of letting agents know that they may interested in their client.

For example, let's suppose that the Leafs have a player named Billy Blat who is represented by the same agent as #1 Center candidate Joe Bow.

Burke: Hey, Agent, just calling to touch base on Billy Blat's contract.

Agent: Well, you know, Burkie -- you don't mind if I call you Burkie, do you? -- Billy's contract isn't up for another two years.

Burke: Of course, of course. But I'm sure you guys like to keep abreast of the team's future plans so you have an idea just how much money may be available for your client when the time comes.

Agent: Gotcha, Burke-man.

Burke: Well, I just thought you should know that we're essentially planning on signing pretty much all our RFAs and maybe dipping into the UFA pool for a #1 Center, so let's figure that I'm going to spend, oh, 7 million a year over the next 6 years on that.

Agent: Hey Burkester. I think for a real good #1 Center, you may need to figure on 8 million a year over the next 7 years to accurately reflect the current marketplace.

Burke: Well, then, use your numbers and you'll have a pretty good idea where we'll stand as regards available money for Billy Blat in two years.

Agent: Hey, Burkie=doodle, you're a dual citizen, right? American and Canadian?

Burke: Yes, that's right.

Agent: Just wanted to know if I should call to wish you a Happy Canada Day on July 1st.

Burke: Yes, I think I'd like that.

Old
07-01-2012, 12:17 AM
JMcLeaf
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
And its after this, when I see people getting excited about the Burke's speech where he simply denied interest in either of Parise or Suter, or any FA for that matter, that my blood boils. Stay the course they say.

I've heard made-up glorifying words out of his mouth trying to justify the stupid Tim Connolly where he made a chess reference that when the best FA available (referring to Brad Richards at the time) is off the market, you directly go for the 2nd best option available (and he overpaid for him). What kind of a stupid, crazy logic is that, especially when the 2nd best C available possesses less than half the overall value of a Brad Richards.

The point I want to make is that Burke after the damage he's already done, and empty promises he's already made doesn't deserve, IMO, to see this thing through. He's displayed poor judgement from signing players, to supporting a crappy coach up until the time he was fired, to giving repeated vote of confidence to his players when they all deserved none. His staff has produced underwhelming results, from scouting to player development. Not one player drafted under him has made it to the NHL yet, and he hasn't made the playoffs once despite spending all the way to the cap.

His personification and image is the only thing that has lead him to keep his job. If it was any other GM, IMO, he'd have been let go.

What has he exactly done to give any amount of hope going forward?
I'd be lying if I said I wasnt disappointed, but I still think he has put some pieces in place to make me somewhat hopeful.

I'm extremely excited for our defense going forward. I think we have some great prospects in that area and with the depth they will be given the proper time to develop.

I'm also pleased with the character picks like Biggs, D'Amigo and Ross.

I'm pretty concerned about the lack of elite talent in the prospect system though. I still think Kadri has the skill to be a great player, but who knows if he will ever put it all together. I'm not expecting much out of Colborne.

I think he has done a good job in the goalie department in terms of prospects, but unfortunately with no number 1 it's a pretty ugly situation. Reimer should be backing up a true starter right now and being eased into the starting position. Unfortunately it looks like we are putting all our faith in him and somewhat Scrivens. If Reimer struggles again I see that really stunting his development.

Burke has been here for a while and we still have no number 1 center, and no number 1 goalie. I feel like 1 of those positions should have been adressed by now. Burke always says he wants to build from the net out. He seems to have forgotten the most important piece of that strategy.

Old
07-01-2012, 12:21 AM
LeaffanDM

Quote:
MacArthur is what you call a black hole on offense. The guy misses countless chances created for him by Grabovski. He takes idiotic penalties that dictate the course of the game. He has finish that you can't teach but he's a replaceable player IMO. If Burke considers him a core piece, then God help us.
Mac had the highest +/- on the team.and grabo was close to have twice the PIMS Mac did. your talking out of your ass really.

Old
07-01-2012, 12:23 AM
Winreims

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaffanDM View Post
Mac had the highest +/- on the team. your talking out of your ass really.

Old
07-01-2012, 12:23 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smif View Post
You can't possibly send that team into Boston or Philly, or even Ottawa for that matter. I'd feel terrible for Brownie, he'd have bruised fists every game.
What is so different than last year's team?

Schenn was not an enforcer whatsoever. I always felt bad when he dropped the gloves, it seldom turned out well.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
07-01-2012, 12:24 AM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

I personally think we will see a blockbuster soon.

Old
07-01-2012, 12:25 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy Crust View Post
We should have traded him at the deadline. I'm hoping he is dealt so it opens up room for Kadri in the top 6.
Kadri can play on the third line and prove he's a NHL player. If he's not ready yet there is no issue with sending him back to the Marlies, unless he's already a waiver problem.

Old
07-01-2012, 12:28 AM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Kulemin + Kadri
For
Krejci

Do you guys do it? Just wondering. If we can swing a Mac for Clowe deal our top 6 would be:

Lupul-Krejci-Kessel
JVR-Grabovski-Clowe

Old
07-01-2012, 12:30 AM
Dark Knight
#WeTheNorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
Kulemin + Kadri
For
Krejci

Do you guys do it? Just wondering. If we can swing a Mac for Clowe deal our top 6 would be:

Lupul-Krejci-Kessel
JVR-Grabovski-Clowe
Boston is definitely not sending Krejci to Toronto.

07-01-2012, 12:32 AM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
Boston is definitely not sending Krejci to Toronto.
Not saying they would, just wondering if the value is there.

They've sent a much better talent here, so anything is possible

Old
07-01-2012, 12:33 AM
Winreims

Quote:
Kulemin + Kadri
For
Krejci

Lupul-Krejci-Kessel
JVR-Grabovski-Clowe
I'd do that in a heartbeat, but Boston wouldn't.

Old
07-01-2012, 12:36 AM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winreims View Post
I'd do that in a heartbeat, but Boston wouldn't.
Yea, they'd prob push for that '13 1st as well

That'd be the deal breaker for me. I wouldn't trade that pick no matter what.

Old
07-01-2012, 12:37 AM
Winreims

Quote:
Yea, they'd prob push for that '13 1st as well

That'd be the deal breaker for me. I wouldn't trade that pick no matter what.
LOL oh god, let's not do that again

Old
07-01-2012, 12:42 AM
Crispy Crust

vCash: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Kadri can play on the third line and prove he's a NHL player. If he's not ready yet there is no issue with sending him back to the Marlies, unless he's already a waiver problem.
That would be ideal.

Old
07-01-2012, 12:47 AM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
LOL oh god, let's not do that again
Haha

"And the Bruins are proud to select, future superstar center, Nathan MacKinnon"

Old
07-01-2012, 12:49 AM
Kb21

without going crazy with the trades and UFA signings, i believe our team could look close to this in 2012/13.

FORWARDS
Joffrey Lupul ($4.250m) / Tyler Bozak ($1.500m) / Phil Kessel ($5.400m)
James Van Riemsdyk ($4.250m) / Mikhail Grabovski ($5.500m) / Matt Frattin ($1.500m)
Clarke MacArthur ($3.250m) / Nazem Kadri ($1.720m) / Nikolai Kulemin ($2.250m)
Leo Komarov ($1.200m) / David Steckel ($1.100m) / Mike Brown ($0.737m)
Daniel Winnik ($1.200m) / Tim Connolly ($4.750m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Dion Phaneuf ($6.500m) / Mike Komisarek ($4.500m)
John-Michael Liles ($3.875m) / Carl Gunnarsson ($1.325m)
Jake Gardiner ($1.117m) / Cody Franson ($1.500m)
GOALTENDERS
Martin Brodeur ($4.000m)
James Reimer ($1.800m)
BUYOUTS
Darcy Tucker ($1.000m) / Matthew Lombardi ($1.167m) / Colby Armstrong ($1.000m)
------
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,390,000; BONUSES: $1,412,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $3,810,000

really hoping we get lucky on the brodeur signing but if it doesn't happen i could see some other type of vet signed for about 1.5-2M.

is it a playoff team, probably not, but we could come close depending on the type of production we get out of 2nd/3rd lines.

Old
07-01-2012, 12:50 AM
Winreims

Quote:
Haha

Sad thing is, with the Leafs (and Brian Burke's) luck, I could see that happening..

Old
07-01-2012, 12:50 AM
JVReemer

vCash: 610
IMHO getting Clowe would be a huge move for the team. Makes our top 6 much more respectable. I just don't think the #1C problem will be addressed until July 1st of next year. But Clowe coming here would let Kulemin solidify the third line with Frattin and Connolly.

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
JVR - Grabo - Clowe (Choose one of the 2 LW's to play RW)
Kulemin - Connolly - Frattin

even with Bozak that is a much better top 9, and bigger.

something like, Macarthur, Franson's rights, 2nd 2013?

I feel Mac is underrated around here, he is a 50 - 60pt guy who is actually pretty good defensively. For that reason I think people will be surprised by the return when he gets traded..

Old
07-01-2012, 12:53 AM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:

Sad thing is, with the Leafs (and Brian Burke's) luck, I could see that happening..
For the sake of my sanity, I really hope we don't trade that pick

Old
07-01-2012, 12:54 AM
JVReemer

vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kb21 View Post
without going crazy with the trades and UFA signings, i believe our team could look close to this in 2012/13.

FORWARDS
Joffrey Lupul ($4.250m) / Tyler Bozak ($1.500m) / Phil Kessel ($5.400m)
James Van Riemsdyk ($4.250m) / Mikhail Grabovski ($5.500m) / Matt Frattin ($1.500m)
Clarke MacArthur ($3.250m) / Nazem Kadri ($1.720m) / Nikolai Kulemin ($2.250m)
Leo Komarov ($1.200m) / David Steckel ($1.100m) / Mike Brown ($0.737m)
Daniel Winnik ($1.200m) / Tim Connolly ($4.750m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Dion Phaneuf ($6.500m) / Mike Komisarek ($4.500m)
John-Michael Liles ($3.875m) / Carl Gunnarsson ($1.325m)
Jake Gardiner ($1.117m) / Cody Franson ($1.500m)
GOALTENDERS
Martin Brodeur ($4.000m)
James Reimer ($1.800m)
BUYOUTS
Darcy Tucker ($1.000m) / Matthew Lombardi ($1.167m) / Colby Armstrong ($1.000m)
------
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,390,000; BONUSES: $1,412,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $3,810,000

really hoping we get lucky on the brodeur signing but if it doesn't happen i could see some other type of vet signed for about 1.5-2M.

is it a playoff team, probably not, but we could come close depending on the type of production we get out of 2nd/3rd lines.
1. Brodeur is a massive long-shot.

2. I disagree with many of the play placements. Komi on the first line is a joke.

Old
07-01-2012, 12:55 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
For the sake of my sanity, I really hope we don't trade that pick
Burke would be fired if another worst case scenario happened on his watch.

Old
07-01-2012, 12:57 AM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
He's done little to give any hope going forward, especially for this upcoming season. He sits pat on every trade deadline day and every July 1st, because he doesn't believe in having that one day to scramble and improve a hockey team. His own "self imposed trade deadline", a ridiculous idea that means he doesn't have to do anything at the actual trade deadline, because he's created his own trade deadline.
Burke usually likes to make the moves he's going to make before the trade deadline day. In the period roughly a month before the trade deadline over his time here, he's moved at least the following players: Antropov, Moore, Belak, Blake, Toskala, Stajan, Mayers, White, Hagman, Versteeg, Beauchemin, Kaberle, Mitchell, and Aulie.

His "self-imposed" trade deadline is for the Christmas deadline and I really don't think those extra 10 days have cost him any deals.

Quote:
I'm already hearing from other fans that this season is gonna be a bad one like it's no big deal. That's what it's come to in Toronto. "Meh, just another year".
Why is it a big deal if it's a bad season? If the performance of the Leafs really has that major of an impact on your life, perhaps you should be reexamining your priorities. Believe me, I'd love to see the Leafs make the playoffs again and eventually see them win a cup, but if they don't, it's not really going to have that big of an effect on my life.

And as I keep saying, if being a Leaf fan is making unhappy, maybe you should cheer for another team. Or step away from them for a few years and pursue other interests until you feel cheering for them will make you happy again.

Quote:
For example, I believe sticking with Reimer/Scrivens is a disaster waiting to happen. Reimer may fool me and play at a high level, but he hasn't proven that he can carry the load of an entire NHL season. We haven't made the playoffs since 2004. How on earth can Brian Burke go into next season thinking 'well we see what happens'? It's crazy to me.
Do you really think that Burke absolutely means it when he says he'd be happy to go with Reimer and Scrivens next year? Of course, he isn't. He's consistently said that the Leafs would consider upgrading if the price was right. But surely you realize that if he came right out and said that the Leafs were desperate for a goalie, then the price for the Leafs obtaining one would go up.

Old
07-01-2012, 12:57 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Haha

I thought that the Leafs were getting a star from Boston in the trade?

Old
07-01-2012, 01:17 AM
Winreims

Quote:
Why is it a big deal if it's a bad season? If the performance of the Leafs really has that major of an impact on your life, perhaps you should be reexamining your priorities. Believe me, I'd love to see the Leafs make the playoffs again and eventually see them win a cup, but if they don't, it's not really going to have that big of an effect on my life.
Well, I watch the Leafs to see them do well not to lose out on a playoff spot for an eighth straight year. It doesn't have an major emotional impact/effect on my life. In fact, everytime March rolls around and we're completely out of the hunt; the only feeling is that of numbness. By then, I'm so used to seeing them eliminated it's become a tradition of sorts.

Quote:
And as I keep saying, if being a Leaf fan is making unhappy, maybe you should cheer for another team. Or step away from them for a few years and pursue other interests until you feel cheering for them will make you happy again.
It doesn't make me unhappy to be a passionate Leaf fan. It makes me unhappy to lose, but I think that's the general feeling for most people when it comes to losing. It isn't supposed to be a joyous experience unless you're a fan of the Edmonton Oilers.

Quote:
Do you really think that Burke absolutely means it when he says he'd be happy to go with Reimer and Scrivens next year? Of course, he isn't. He's consistently said that the Leafs would consider upgrading if the price was right. But surely you realize that if he came right out and said that the Leafs were desperate for a goalie, then the price for the Leafs obtaining one would go up.
I never mentioned him saying he was happy with it, I meant I know some fans who say they are happy with that tandem. No way in hell in Burke happy with that. And what does that say about the confidence he has in Reimer? I'm not asking for a Marty Brodeur, but it can't be that difficult to improve goaltending in some way (example: getting a vet goalie to support Reims).

Closed Thread