HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

11'/12' Offseason /Trades/Signings: Few days till Free Agency Frenzy.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-01-2012, 06:07 AM
  #901
AlMo
Registered User
 
AlMo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto
Country: Portugal
Posts: 9,308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
Kulemin + Kadri
For
Krejci

Do you guys do it? Just wondering. If we can swing a Mac for Clowe deal our top 6 would be:

Lupul-Krejci-Kessel
JVR-Grabovski-Clowe
Bruins say no
Sharks laugh when you offer Mac for Clowe

AlMo is offline  
Old
07-01-2012, 07:27 AM
  #902
joffreyLUUPUL
Registered User
 
joffreyLUUPUL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 96
vCash: 500
Kulemin + Mac

for

Brendan Morrow?

I got this offered in NHL lmao pulled it off in a sec.

joffreyLUUPUL is offline  
Old
07-01-2012, 07:35 AM
  #903
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup
 
Rockinz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Leaf Land
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,111
vCash: 500
i'm hoping that Minnie doesnt land Parise and Suter... They IMO would look to move Backstrom for more help upfront and on the backend in that case.

They could easily go with Harding and Hackett(very good prospect and NHL ready).

MacA + Holzer + Rynnas for Backstrom

Rockinz is offline  
Old
07-01-2012, 07:39 AM
  #904
HarrisonFord
He's baaaaaack
 
HarrisonFord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,595
vCash: 500
I do recall Burke saying recently that size was on the way, so hopefully he means it

HarrisonFord is offline  
Old
07-01-2012, 07:52 AM
  #905
BillyD
JUST WIN BABY
 
BillyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,542
vCash: 500
Bottom Six Pickups: Kormarov, Prust?

Nobody gets too excited about additions to the bottom six forwards, but they do give you an idea of where the team is going style wise. If we have Kormarov, Mike Brown and Brandon Prust in our bottom 6 we are going to have a feisty, in your face, hard forecheck this season.

Paul Hendrick floated the possibility of the Leafs signing Prust yesterday:

Quote:
Paul Hendrick ‏@HennyTweets

@Leaferforever19 haven't heard anything official but room is needed on bottom 6 for leo kormorov and possibly prust.#tmltalk
View conversation

Reply
Retweet
Favorite
On all the roster projections on here, people never list Kormorov but there is every reason to think he makes the roster. Burke and his agent describe him:

Quote:
However, his Finnish agent, Ilkka Larva, believes Komarov is going to fit in well at the NHL level because he fits the role of a checker despite his modest size.

"Leo has been a fan favourite everywhere he's played," Larva said. "He's a great skater, finishes checks... and kills penalties effectively. He's played in many different roles in different teams and molds into coach's plans like a chameleon very versatile player that is."

Youve seen him, hes not big, Leafs GM Brian Burke told The Canadian Press at the worlds earlier this month. But hes dynamic, explosive, obnoxious and skilled. Hes a really hard guy to play against."
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle4217589/

Which sounds a lot like Brandon Prust who is described by Hockey News Forecaster as:

Quote:
Works hard and loves to get in the face of his opponents. Has solid defensive instincts, is an aggressive forechecker and excellent penalty killer. An outstanding team guy that leads by example, he'll rumble with anyone.
http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/...layer.cgi?3242

Anyway, maybe this isn't going to be the most exciting free agent day for the Leafs, but Prust could still be an important pickup in the bigger picture.

BillyD is offline  
Old
07-01-2012, 08:02 AM
  #906
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
 
crump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ontariariario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,792
vCash: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReimerForPM View Post
I do recall Burke saying recently that size was on the way, so hopefully he means it
That was an odd quote. I took it as previously drafted prospects like Biggs and Broll etc. I would like it to mean today as well. One or two bigger bodies up front would be good. Some trades will have to be made. We basically have enough players for 4 second lines if players like Kadri, Colborne are included.

Ideally you want that third line to be tough, hard hitters, fast in transition and have some scoring ability. They will get big minutes as they play against top lines. Sometimes they are former top 6 scoring line players who happen to be good defensively. It used to be guys like Mark Osborne, Petr Zezel. Not Fighters but they hit hard and tough to play against.

I could see Frattin in that role, Kulemin too. They need a big, tough, centre with good face off skills, and can keep up with them while putting up some points as well. (no that is not Steckel) Colborne might fit, but he doesn't hit much.

Connolly, Bozak, Grabo, Lombardi, Kadri can/could/would be all good 2nd line centers.

crump is online now  
Old
07-01-2012, 08:15 AM
  #907
bobbyflex
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,392
vCash: 500
i hope the Leafs don't do something stupid by trading MacArthur. Guy is in his contract year. He'll bring some heat for sure

bobbyflex is offline  
Old
07-01-2012, 08:16 AM
  #908
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup
 
Rockinz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Leaf Land
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,111
vCash: 500
i could see Burke using the $2M in cap space from the Army buyout on Prust.

Prust:
2 year $4.5M (2.25M cap hit)

Rockinz is offline  
Old
07-01-2012, 08:18 AM
  #909
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 55,427
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crump View Post
That was an odd quote. I took it as previously drafted prospects like Biggs and Broll etc. I would like it to mean today as well. One or two bigger bodies up front would be good. Some trades will have to be made. We basically have enough players for 4 second lines if players like Kadri, Colborne are included.

Ideally you want that third line to be tough, hard hitters, fast in transition and have some scoring ability. They will get big minutes as they play against top lines. Sometimes they are former top 6 scoring line players who happen to be good defensively. It used to be guys like Mark Osborne, Petr Zezel. Not Fighters but they hit hard and tough to play against.

I could see Frattin in that role, Kulemin too. They need a big, tough, centre with good face off skills, and can keep up with them while putting up some points as well. (no that is not Steckel) Colborne might fit, but he doesn't hit much.

Connolly, Bozak, Grabo, Lombardi, Kadri can/could/would be all good 2nd line centers.
Kadri - Torn knee ligaments 2011
Kadri - Separated shoulder 2012

Kadri might have had a better season without the knee injury since mobility is important for someone smaller like Kadri. By smaller I don't mean short, I mean thickness.

I'd be really interested in a line like:
Kulemin-Kadri-Frattin

That line would / should be good defensively and lead the league in posts.

Defenders would have a bit of a effort to contain them on the boards, both Kulemin and Frattin are solidly built players with lower centers of gravity.

__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA3LN_8hjM8.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline  
Old
07-01-2012, 08:24 AM
  #910
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
 
crump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ontariariario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,792
vCash: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Kadri - Torn knee ligaments 2011
Kadri - Separated shoulder 2012

Kadri might have had a better season without the knee injury since mobility is important for someone smaller like Kadri. By smaller I don't mean short, I mean thickness.

I'd be really interested in a line like:
Kulemin-Kadri-Frattin

That line would / should be good defensively and lead the league in posts.
Kadri can hit too, that could be a sweet line if Kadri is indeed working on getting bigger this summer. All smart, speedy with some grit.

crump is online now  
Old
07-01-2012, 08:24 AM
  #911
ALine
Registered User
 
ALine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crump
Ideally you want that third line to be tough, hard hitters, fast in transition and have some scoring ability. They will get big minutes as they play against top lines. Sometimes they are former top 6 scoring line players who happen to be good defensively. It used to be guys like Mark Osborne, Petr Zezel. Not Fighters but they hit hard and tough to play against.

I could see Frattin in that role, Kulemin too. They need a big, tough, centre with good face off skills, and can keep up with them while putting up some points as well. (no that is not Steckel) Colborne might fit, but he doesn't hit much.

Connolly, Bozak, Grabo, Lombardi, Kadri can/could/would be all good 2nd line centers.
I would be happy with rolling out 3 scoring lines. I don't think we should shoe-horn certain players into certain play styles. If the personnel is there for this style, i think it would be more effective.

JVR-Connolly-Kessel
Kulemin-Grabovski-Lupul
Kadri-Bozak-Frattin
Brown-Steckel-Prust/Komarov/Orr

Having those top 2 lines would really force the other team to player their top defenders, thus opening up more opportunities for the 3rd line to get in on the offense, and would help Kadri's and Frattin's transition to full-time NHLers

ALine is offline  
Old
07-01-2012, 08:29 AM
  #912
ALine
Registered User
 
ALine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
i hope the Leafs don't do something stupid by trading MacArthur. Guy is in his contract year. He'll bring some heat for sure
That seems to be the only time he shows up, in contract years. Although I think we should hang onto him for the time being, wait and see if Kadri or someone can step up fulltime and trade him off early next season, trade deadline at the latest.

ALine is offline  
Old
07-01-2012, 08:30 AM
  #913
dubplatepressure
Registered User
 
dubplatepressure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALine View Post
I would be happy with rolling out 3 scoring lines. I don't think we should shoe-horn certain players into certain play styles. If the personnel is there for this style, i think it would be more effective.

JVR-Connolly-Kessel
Kulemin-Grabovski-Lupul
Kadri-Bozak-Frattin
Brown-Steckel-Prust/Komarov/Orr

Having those top 2 lines would really force the other team to player their top defenders, thus opening up more opportunities for the 3rd line to get in on the offense, and would help Kadri's and Frattin's transition to full-time NHLers
Lupul won't get demoted just because JVR is here - Lupul, as of right now, is better, and has earned his spot on the 1st line.

It also doesn't address our need for size in the top-9.... we're still pretty soft.

dubplatepressure is offline  
Old
07-01-2012, 08:31 AM
  #914
dubplatepressure
Registered User
 
dubplatepressure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALine View Post
That seems to be the only time he shows up, in contract years. Although I think we should hang onto him for the time being, wait and see if Kadri or someone can step up fulltime and trade him off early next season, trade deadline at the latest.
I'd flip both Kulemin or Macarthur in a New York minute for more size up front - we still need a guy that isn't afraid to drop the mits and stick up for team mates when we take a pounding.

dubplatepressure is offline  
Old
07-01-2012, 08:36 AM
  #915
bobbyflex
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALine View Post
That seems to be the only time he shows up, in contract years. Although I think we should hang onto him for the time being, wait and see if Kadri or someone can step up fulltime and trade him off early next season, trade deadline at the latest.
Mac's a bonafide top 6. He's proven that for the past 2 seasons. I don't want to take a chance on Kadri or Frattin. They can play on the 3rd line for now. Learn the defensive game first

bobbyflex is offline  
Old
07-01-2012, 08:40 AM
  #916
Budsfan
Registered User
 
Budsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,866
vCash: 500
CapGeek ‏@capgeek

Top five UFA hitters: 1. Tanner Glass, 2. Shane Doan, 3. Milan Jurcina, 4. Jordin Tootoo, 5. Brandon Prust.

I wouldn't mind taking any one of these guys

Budsfan is offline  
Old
07-01-2012, 08:41 AM
  #917
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 55,427
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post
I'd flip both Kulemin or Macarthur in a New York minute for more size up front - we still need a guy that isn't afraid to drop the mits and stick up for team mates when we take a pounding.
MacArthur and Kulemin don't need babysitters, so why would you move them for toughness. Sounds more like you are looking for an enforcer and not all around players.

Why not move the soft players who won't be able to play Carlyle's game?

ULF_55 is offline  
Old
07-01-2012, 08:41 AM
  #918
ALine
Registered User
 
ALine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post
Lupul won't get demoted just because JVR is here - Lupul, as of right now, is better, and has earned his spot on the 1st line.

It also doesn't address our need for size in the top-9.... we're still pretty soft.
Lupul uses his size well on the top line, and if he is the real deal (can repeat last year) the line-up would be better served to have him on the 2nd line with Grabo and whomever (Kulimen, Frattin, Kadri, Mac whoever wants it most). Spread the talent out more. I know he's played very well with Kessel and Bozak, but it would really balance out the line-up. Lupul has probably got the best pure wrister on the team. Size in the top 9 will have to come from outside help, something I wasn't taking into account with my line-up. I was just using players we currently have.

ALine is offline  
Old
07-01-2012, 08:49 AM
  #919
DelGriffith
Registered User
 
DelGriffith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Catharines
Country: Canada
Posts: 343
vCash: 500
Until we upgrade our 1st line center and goalie situation we aren't making the playoffs.

DelGriffith is offline  
Old
07-01-2012, 08:51 AM
  #920
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 55,427
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALine View Post
Lupul uses his size well on the top line, and if he is the real deal (can repeat last year) the line-up would be better served to have him on the 2nd line with Grabo and whomever (Kulimen, Frattin, Kadri, Mac whoever wants it most). Spread the talent out more. I know he's played very well with Kessel and Bozak, but it would really balance out the line-up. Lupul has probably got the best pure wrister on the team. Size in the top 9 will have to come from outside help, something I wasn't taking into account with my line-up. I was just using players we currently have.
Smart decision since it is kind of tough to put a line up card out there that has players from other teams.

Pretty sure Burke said they won't be busy today, so if they aren't you can't really use players signed by other teams in the Leafs line up.

Kessel is probably the softest player on the team. There really isn't much you can do to fix that, besides make it tough on the other team's skilled players. You don't have to fight to be tough, and if you are looking to sign a fighter because Kessel can't play through tough defense the team is probably in big trouble.

Bozak, Grabovski, Connolly, Steckel if the team lacks toughness it is probably showing up more here than on the wings (outside of Kessel).

I've read Komarov is identified as a center, but I think he's more pest than bodyguard.

ULF_55 is offline  
Old
07-01-2012, 08:55 AM
  #921
rumman
Registered User
 
rumman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,996
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilishleafs View Post
im kinda hoping for a trade for C.Wilson out of Nashville, if they are losing Suter, I think we could trade Komi and Connelly for Wilson giving Nash that #1C and a big D-man. I also could see us going for Stewart out of St.Louis.
I'd be highly surprised if this could happen.

rumman is offline  
Old
07-01-2012, 08:58 AM
  #922
RomanianLeafs
Registered User
 
RomanianLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Romania
Posts: 2,328
vCash: 500
when are tsn and sportsnet beginning theirs shows? i live in europe so i haven`t figured it yet the exact time...

RomanianLeafs is offline  
Old
07-01-2012, 09:04 AM
  #923
alcanalz
whys and wherefores
 
alcanalz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,691
vCash: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanianLeafs View Post
when are tsn and sportsnet beginning theirs shows? i live in europe so i haven`t figured it yet the exact time...
Two hours.

alcanalz is offline  
Old
07-01-2012, 09:04 AM
  #924
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 55,427
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanianLeafs View Post
when are tsn and sportsnet beginning theirs shows? i live in europe so i haven`t figured it yet the exact time...
in about 2 hours.

ULF_55 is offline  
Old
07-01-2012, 09:06 AM
  #925
Andrew Mack
Registered User
 
Andrew Mack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Niagara Region, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,157
vCash: 500
First rumour of the day from Bruce "Malkin to Kings" Garrioch: Toronto wants to add another top four defender and Douglas Murray is one of his targets.

I think Bruce is a joke, but the idea of 1. adding another top four and 2. having Douglas FN Murray as a Leaf both appeal to me very much.

Andrew Mack is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:47 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.