HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

11'/12' Offseason /Trades/Signings: Few days till Free Agency Frenzy.

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2012, 06:07 AM
AlMo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
Kulemin + Kadri
For
Krejci

Do you guys do it? Just wondering. If we can swing a Mac for Clowe deal our top 6 would be:

Lupul-Krejci-Kessel
JVR-Grabovski-Clowe
Bruins say no
Sharks laugh when you offer Mac for Clowe

Old
07-01-2012, 07:27 AM
joffreyLUUPUL

Kulemin + Mac

for

Brendan Morrow?

I got this offered in NHL lmao pulled it off in a sec.

Old
07-01-2012, 07:35 AM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

i'm hoping that Minnie doesnt land Parise and Suter... They IMO would look to move Backstrom for more help upfront and on the backend in that case.

They could easily go with Harding and Hackett(very good prospect and NHL ready).

MacA + Holzer + Rynnas for Backstrom

Old
07-01-2012, 07:39 AM
HarrisonFord
He's baaaaaack

I do recall Burke saying recently that size was on the way, so hopefully he means it

Old
07-01-2012, 07:52 AM
BillyD
JUST WIN BABY

Bottom Six Pickups: Kormarov, Prust?

Nobody gets too excited about additions to the bottom six forwards, but they do give you an idea of where the team is going style wise. If we have Kormarov, Mike Brown and Brandon Prust in our bottom 6 we are going to have a feisty, in your face, hard forecheck this season.

Paul Hendrick floated the possibility of the Leafs signing Prust yesterday:

Quote:
Paul Hendrick ‏@HennyTweets

@Leaferforever19 haven't heard anything official but room is needed on bottom 6 for leo kormorov and possibly prust.#tmltalk
View conversation

Retweet
Favorite
On all the roster projections on here, people never list Kormorov but there is every reason to think he makes the roster. Burke and his agent describe him:

Quote:
However, his Finnish agent, Ilkka Larva, believes Komarov is going to fit in well at the NHL level because he fits the role of a checker despite his modest size.

"Leo has been a fan favourite everywhere he's played," Larva said. "He's a great skater, finishes checks... and kills penalties effectively. He's played in many different roles in different teams and molds into coach's plans like a chameleon very versatile player that is."

Youve seen him, hes not big, Leafs GM Brian Burke told The Canadian Press at the worlds earlier this month. But hes dynamic, explosive, obnoxious and skilled. Hes a really hard guy to play against."
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle4217589/

Which sounds a lot like Brandon Prust who is described by Hockey News Forecaster as:

Quote:
Works hard and loves to get in the face of his opponents. Has solid defensive instincts, is an aggressive forechecker and excellent penalty killer. An outstanding team guy that leads by example, he'll rumble with anyone.
http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/...layer.cgi?3242

Anyway, maybe this isn't going to be the most exciting free agent day for the Leafs, but Prust could still be an important pickup in the bigger picture.

Old
07-01-2012, 08:02 AM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

vCash: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReimerForPM View Post
I do recall Burke saying recently that size was on the way, so hopefully he means it
That was an odd quote. I took it as previously drafted prospects like Biggs and Broll etc. I would like it to mean today as well. One or two bigger bodies up front would be good. Some trades will have to be made. We basically have enough players for 4 second lines if players like Kadri, Colborne are included.

Ideally you want that third line to be tough, hard hitters, fast in transition and have some scoring ability. They will get big minutes as they play against top lines. Sometimes they are former top 6 scoring line players who happen to be good defensively. It used to be guys like Mark Osborne, Petr Zezel. Not Fighters but they hit hard and tough to play against.

I could see Frattin in that role, Kulemin too. They need a big, tough, centre with good face off skills, and can keep up with them while putting up some points as well. (no that is not Steckel) Colborne might fit, but he doesn't hit much.

Connolly, Bozak, Grabo, Lombardi, Kadri can/could/would be all good 2nd line centers.

Old
07-01-2012, 08:15 AM
bobbyflex

i hope the Leafs don't do something stupid by trading MacArthur. Guy is in his contract year. He'll bring some heat for sure

Old
07-01-2012, 08:16 AM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

i could see Burke using the $2M in cap space from the Army buyout on Prust.

Prust:
2 year $4.5M (2.25M cap hit)

Old
07-01-2012, 08:18 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crump View Post
That was an odd quote. I took it as previously drafted prospects like Biggs and Broll etc. I would like it to mean today as well. One or two bigger bodies up front would be good. Some trades will have to be made. We basically have enough players for 4 second lines if players like Kadri, Colborne are included.

Ideally you want that third line to be tough, hard hitters, fast in transition and have some scoring ability. They will get big minutes as they play against top lines. Sometimes they are former top 6 scoring line players who happen to be good defensively. It used to be guys like Mark Osborne, Petr Zezel. Not Fighters but they hit hard and tough to play against.

I could see Frattin in that role, Kulemin too. They need a big, tough, centre with good face off skills, and can keep up with them while putting up some points as well. (no that is not Steckel) Colborne might fit, but he doesn't hit much.

Connolly, Bozak, Grabo, Lombardi, Kadri can/could/would be all good 2nd line centers.
Kadri - Torn knee ligaments 2011
Kadri - Separated shoulder 2012

Kadri might have had a better season without the knee injury since mobility is important for someone smaller like Kadri. By smaller I don't mean short, I mean thickness.

I'd be really interested in a line like:
Kulemin-Kadri-Frattin

That line would / should be good defensively and lead the league in posts.

Defenders would have a bit of a effort to contain them on the boards, both Kulemin and Frattin are solidly built players with lower centers of gravity.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
07-01-2012, 08:24 AM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

vCash: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Kadri - Torn knee ligaments 2011
Kadri - Separated shoulder 2012

Kadri might have had a better season without the knee injury since mobility is important for someone smaller like Kadri. By smaller I don't mean short, I mean thickness.

I'd be really interested in a line like:
Kulemin-Kadri-Frattin

That line would / should be good defensively and lead the league in posts.
Kadri can hit too, that could be a sweet line if Kadri is indeed working on getting bigger this summer. All smart, speedy with some grit.

Old
07-01-2012, 08:24 AM
ALine

Quote:
Originally Posted by crump

I would be happy with rolling out 3 scoring lines. I don't think we should shoe-horn certain players into certain play styles. If the personnel is there for this style, i think it would be more effective.

JVR-Connolly-Kessel
Kulemin-Grabovski-Lupul
Kadri-Bozak-Frattin
Brown-Steckel-Prust/Komarov/Orr

Having those top 2 lines would really force the other team to player their top defenders, thus opening up more opportunities for the 3rd line to get in on the offense, and would help Kadri's and Frattin's transition to full-time NHLers

Old
07-01-2012, 08:29 AM
ALine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
i hope the Leafs don't do something stupid by trading MacArthur. Guy is in his contract year. He'll bring some heat for sure
That seems to be the only time he shows up, in contract years. Although I think we should hang onto him for the time being, wait and see if Kadri or someone can step up fulltime and trade him off early next season, trade deadline at the latest.

Old
07-01-2012, 08:30 AM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALine View Post
I would be happy with rolling out 3 scoring lines. I don't think we should shoe-horn certain players into certain play styles. If the personnel is there for this style, i think it would be more effective.

JVR-Connolly-Kessel
Kulemin-Grabovski-Lupul
Kadri-Bozak-Frattin
Brown-Steckel-Prust/Komarov/Orr

Having those top 2 lines would really force the other team to player their top defenders, thus opening up more opportunities for the 3rd line to get in on the offense, and would help Kadri's and Frattin's transition to full-time NHLers
Lupul won't get demoted just because JVR is here - Lupul, as of right now, is better, and has earned his spot on the 1st line.

It also doesn't address our need for size in the top-9.... we're still pretty soft.

Old
07-01-2012, 08:31 AM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
That seems to be the only time he shows up, in contract years. Although I think we should hang onto him for the time being, wait and see if Kadri or someone can step up fulltime and trade him off early next season, trade deadline at the latest.
I'd flip both Kulemin or Macarthur in a New York minute for more size up front - we still need a guy that isn't afraid to drop the mits and stick up for team mates when we take a pounding.

Old
07-01-2012, 08:36 AM
bobbyflex

Quote:
Mac's a bonafide top 6. He's proven that for the past 2 seasons. I don't want to take a chance on Kadri or Frattin. They can play on the 3rd line for now. Learn the defensive game first

Old
07-01-2012, 08:40 AM
Budsfan

CapGeek ‏@capgeek

Top five UFA hitters: 1. Tanner Glass, 2. Shane Doan, 3. Milan Jurcina, 4. Jordin Tootoo, 5. Brandon Prust.

I wouldn't mind taking any one of these guys

Old
07-01-2012, 08:41 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post
I'd flip both Kulemin or Macarthur in a New York minute for more size up front - we still need a guy that isn't afraid to drop the mits and stick up for team mates when we take a pounding.
MacArthur and Kulemin don't need babysitters, so why would you move them for toughness. Sounds more like you are looking for an enforcer and not all around players.

Why not move the soft players who won't be able to play Carlyle's game?

Old
07-01-2012, 08:41 AM
ALine

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post
Lupul won't get demoted just because JVR is here - Lupul, as of right now, is better, and has earned his spot on the 1st line.

It also doesn't address our need for size in the top-9.... we're still pretty soft.
Lupul uses his size well on the top line, and if he is the real deal (can repeat last year) the line-up would be better served to have him on the 2nd line with Grabo and whomever (Kulimen, Frattin, Kadri, Mac whoever wants it most). Spread the talent out more. I know he's played very well with Kessel and Bozak, but it would really balance out the line-up. Lupul has probably got the best pure wrister on the team. Size in the top 9 will have to come from outside help, something I wasn't taking into account with my line-up. I was just using players we currently have.

Old
07-01-2012, 08:49 AM
DelGriffith

Until we upgrade our 1st line center and goalie situation we aren't making the playoffs.

Old
07-01-2012, 08:51 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Lupul uses his size well on the top line, and if he is the real deal (can repeat last year) the line-up would be better served to have him on the 2nd line with Grabo and whomever (Kulimen, Frattin, Kadri, Mac whoever wants it most). Spread the talent out more. I know he's played very well with Kessel and Bozak, but it would really balance out the line-up. Lupul has probably got the best pure wrister on the team. Size in the top 9 will have to come from outside help, something I wasn't taking into account with my line-up. I was just using players we currently have.
Smart decision since it is kind of tough to put a line up card out there that has players from other teams.

Pretty sure Burke said they won't be busy today, so if they aren't you can't really use players signed by other teams in the Leafs line up.

Kessel is probably the softest player on the team. There really isn't much you can do to fix that, besides make it tough on the other team's skilled players. You don't have to fight to be tough, and if you are looking to sign a fighter because Kessel can't play through tough defense the team is probably in big trouble.

Bozak, Grabovski, Connolly, Steckel if the team lacks toughness it is probably showing up more here than on the wings (outside of Kessel).

I've read Komarov is identified as a center, but I think he's more pest than bodyguard.

Old
07-01-2012, 08:55 AM
rumman

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilishleafs View Post
im kinda hoping for a trade for C.Wilson out of Nashville, if they are losing Suter, I think we could trade Komi and Connelly for Wilson giving Nash that #1C and a big D-man. I also could see us going for Stewart out of St.Louis.
I'd be highly surprised if this could happen.

Old
07-01-2012, 08:58 AM
RomanianLeafs

when are tsn and sportsnet beginning theirs shows? i live in europe so i haven`t figured it yet the exact time...

Old
07-01-2012, 09:04 AM
alcanalz
whys and wherefores

vCash: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanianLeafs View Post
when are tsn and sportsnet beginning theirs shows? i live in europe so i haven`t figured it yet the exact time...
Two hours.

Old
07-01-2012, 09:04 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanianLeafs View Post
in about 2 hours.

Old
07-01-2012, 09:06 AM
Andrew Mack

First rumour of the day from Bruce "Malkin to Kings" Garrioch: Toronto wants to add another top four defender and Douglas Murray is one of his targets.

I think Bruce is a joke, but the idea of 1. adding another top four and 2. having Douglas FN Murray as a Leaf both appeal to me very much.

Closed Thread