HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

11'/12' Offseason /Trades/Signings: Few days till Free Agency Frenzy.

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2012, 05:13 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

vCash: 500
Meh, I stick with Reimer over Bernier personally, rather not give up assets on someone with so little experience. I'd rather Lu personally, but I know I'm in the minority.

Old
06-28-2012, 05:21 PM
Orbital

Quote:
Originally Posted by leugangen View Post
Matt Carle going to free agency.

Should the Leafs make a pitch?
I checked out the Philthy forum when JVR was traded and 50% were flaming on Matt Carle.

Old
06-28-2012, 05:23 PM
Everlong
-

Carle is a turnover machine, not to mention he'll get paid more than he's worth. Do not want.

Old
06-28-2012, 05:24 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo Train View Post
Carle is a turnover machine, not to mention he'll get paid more than he's worth. Do not want.
If Detroit misses out on Suter.. I see him going there. Or both..

Old
06-28-2012, 05:30 PM
FlareKnight

Do think that LA might be more reasonable in moving Bernier somewhere. Guy is never going to play much with Quick there and the guy will be there for another decade, bit long to wait for his chance. May not happen anytime soon, but think Bernier gets moved this year at some point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaskY View Post
I don't think Burke will want Bernier. He has said many times now how he is comfortable with Reimer in net next season and how he hasn't given up on him yet.

If he does get a goalie, I think it will be more of a veteran, experienced goalie who can carry some of the weight off of Reimer.

Getting a guy like Bernier would be a big slap in the face to Optimus, and would lower his morale.
So getting Bernier will lower Reimer's moarle, but signing a veteran to be a safety net is a morale booster? Doing anything is telling Reimer that Burke isn't 100% confident and needs a safety net.

I'd rather do something than be in a position where our goaltending fails and we're left spiraling again. Do think that taking some kind of action (trade/UFA vet) is better than nothing. Reimer will have to be able to take the pressure of someone going for his job since if nothing is done Scrivens will be gunning for it.

Old
06-28-2012, 05:31 PM
binop7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbs View Post
binop7 is sweatin'
I'm quite comfortable actually

Old
06-28-2012, 05:32 PM
QMJHLfollower
Heart and soul

Bernier would be nice, but the cost will be too high. Pass.

Don't want Luongo.

Theodore is an option I very like. Good goaltending, solid veteran, good contract, etc.

On July 1st:

Trade Franson for Theodore
Sign Latendresse
Sign Schultz

Would be awesome.

Old
06-28-2012, 05:46 PM
iArts
ಠ_ಠ

What in the living **** would we take Bernier? He hasn't proven anything more than Reimer.

Old
06-28-2012, 05:50 PM
93KILLER93

Adding a forward or two to the current group may prove to be challenging this offseason.(Moreover making available forward roster spots for any new acquisitions). In my estimation the odd men out from the current big league roster appear to be
Connolly,Lombardi and perhaps to a lesser extent Colby Armstrong.
Perhaps with the thin crop of talented free agent forwards a Tim Connolly may appear attractive to a team that strikes out on July 1st.(Sounds familiar) However his modified no trade clause coupled with his poor production may prove to make it quite challenging.

Matthew Lombardi on the other hand does no have any no trade clause but his performance last season along with his 3.5 Million cap for the last year of his deal I believe makes him immovable. A buyout or more likely a demotion to the farm club may be in order here.

Colby Armstrong had an injury riddled season and may get a pass for his poor performance.He may still be deemed a valuable asset to Carlyle and I suspect he will be retained.Depending on the circumstances a player with his cap hit may be required in a trade if that is the route they use to obtain a forward or Goaltender(Lu).He does not have a no trade clause and IMO is the easiest contract of the 3 to move.

With ragards to Defence I dont see any additions taking place.(Unless of course they can land Dman J.Schultz) I believe with the emergence of Holzer and Blacker they will ultimately leave a roster spot open at camp.If they infact do not add a free agent Dman they will likely re-sign C.Franson especially with the departure of Luke Schenn.I am sure they would like to rid themselves of Mike Komisarek's hefty contract but it appears unlikely with his No Movement clause. (Perhaps a buyout next offseason.)

As for Goaltending ,with the departure of Jonas Gustavsson I am confident the goaltending position will be addressed this Summer(be it via Free Agency or trade),despite Brian Burkes so called confidence in Reimer and Scrivens.It is an easy fit.

As I see it, if a trade option for another Top six Forward or #1 Goaltender comes to fruition it may unfortuantely be at the expense of Matt Frattin, C.Armstrong (dump) and/or perhaps potentially C. Franson along with picks/prospects depending on the return.

Unless the new CBA is less restricting for the owners, these next couple months are crucial in determining the success of next years squad.

Old
06-28-2012, 06:06 PM
Cmillz

The biggest issue with the past season was between the pipes...now everyone is fine with it? Are you effin kidding me?

No goalie, no #1 C, no size in top 6 =no playoffs

No one should be okay with ANYTHING that resembles last years squad. Have they been serving retard sandwiches at starbucks or something?

Old
06-28-2012, 06:13 PM
Drew311
Whitey Whackers

Quote:
Originally Posted by iArts View Post
What in the living **** would we take Bernier? He hasn't proven anything more than Reimer.
Shiny new toy syndrome.

Old
06-28-2012, 06:20 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmillz View Post
The biggest issue with the past season was between the pipes...now everyone is fine with it? Are you effin kidding me?

No one should be okay with ANYTHING that resembles last years squad. Have they been serving retard sandwiches at starbucks or something?
we actually have 6 goalies

Old
06-28-2012, 06:22 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
we actually have 6 goalies
But nobody who can dance this good.

Old
06-28-2012, 06:23 PM
Andrew Mack

Quote:

I think everyone is "fine" with it if it means to fix it we would need to trade Jake Gardiner to Vancouver.

Old
06-28-2012, 06:24 PM
delirium trigger

Quote:

U gotta chill out dude. Players grow and develop. U think if raask got injured and had a rough year they would sign another goalie? If someone has talent and us believed in you gotta give him that chance to take the job. Reims was exceeding up until his injury, they same type of injury that kept an elite forward out most of last season. If reimer is our guy, let's give him a go.

Old
06-28-2012, 06:27 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
But nobody who can dance this good.

lolll wtf

Old
06-28-2012, 06:31 PM
Orbital

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
If Detroit misses out on Suter.. I see him going there. Or both..
I've pretty much given up on Suter signing.Now that Schultz has ruled out the Wings,seems plausible that Detroit will go all out for him.

Old
06-28-2012, 07:11 PM
number72

Jokinen will test free agency. He is the best UFA centre available and not really an upgrade on Bozi.

Old
06-28-2012, 07:12 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
Jokinen will test free agency. He is the best UFA centre available and not really an upgrade on Bozi.
yes he is an upgrade from bozak no matter what the price. I doubt we are going to go for him though.

06-28-2012, 07:12 PM
Sergei Berezin

I want Biron as a back-up to Reimer, if Luongo is a no go.

I really still believe in Reimer, and Biron would be a great fit here.

Burke needs to find a way to get rid of the deadweight on the team. (LACK) Value-wise, I believe it's Connolly > Lombardi > Komisarek > Armstrong. Then again... I look at that I keep switching it up. The only thing I'm sure of, is that Connolly has the most value of the bunch.

He also needs to package some players for an upgrade - thinking like Mac + Komi/Franson/Connolly. He has yet to do that in his time here (not that I can remember at least).

Old
06-28-2012, 07:14 PM
Sergei Berezin

I really wish we had space on the roster going into free-agency.

Old
06-28-2012, 07:40 PM
FlareKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by delirium trigger View Post
U gotta chill out dude. Players grow and develop. U think if raask got injured and had a rough year they would sign another goalie? If someone has talent and us believed in you gotta give him that chance to take the job. Reims was exceeding up until his injury, they same type of injury that kept an elite forward out most of last season. If reimer is our guy, let's give him a go.
On top of this being tough to make any sense of, I still disagree. No reason not to hedge our bets. Wilson gave Reimer a go quite a bit after he came back and it wasn't pretty. The problem with the Rask or Crosby insinuations is that Reimer is more unproven than both. Besides short of bringing in Luongo Reimer is being given a chance to take the job. Just means he'll have to be better than someone other than Scrivens to take it. Bring someone in and if Reimer is good enough to take the top job then he will.

Old
06-28-2012, 07:51 PM
Budsfan

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=399474

Quote:
Are the Florida Panthers the clear frontrunner for Roberto Luongo?

Darren Dreger: Yes, there are ongoing negotiations between Vancouver and Florida. Canucks general manager Mike Gillis is driving the bus and the bus is in low gear. Nothing has changed since the NHL Draft but there is an ongoing negotiation. The Panthers didn't like the first approach from Gillis and countered with another offer but I wouldn't say that it's close. The Toronto Maple Leafs did express interest but I'm also told the Leafs are not engaged in discussions with Vancouver at this stage.

Old
06-28-2012, 07:52 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsfan View Post
thank god.

Old
06-28-2012, 07:55 PM
Budsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
thank god.
I agree, I hope they get it done ASAP and we can move on.

Closed Thread