HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

11'/12' Offseason /Trades/Signings: Few days till Free Agency Frenzy.

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2012, 08:06 PM
LeaffanDM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
thank god.
honeslty i dont see it that way. The leafs are in big trouble, and it wont be for just this year. teams in the east are stocking up their rosters with stars. carolina, pitts and probably a team that will land nash will be in the east etc. theres no way the leafs can do any damage in the east with having reims as #1. I like reims but hes no where near ready for the #1 job. and it showed last year. he crumbled like a cookie under the pressure. Burke can blow all the smoke he wants to the fans and the media but this team is going to need a star goaltender to even keep up with how the east is stackin up. even if luongo isnt the answer,this team is in serious trouble if we cant find a goalie.

Old
06-28-2012, 08:12 PM
Cmillz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaffanDM View Post
honeslty i dont see it that way. The leafs are in big trouble, and it wont be for just this year. teams in the east are stocking up their rosters with stars. carolina, pitts and probably a team that will land nash will be in the east etc. theres no way the leafs can do any damage in the east with having reims as #1. I like reims but hes no where near ready for the #1 job. and it showed last year. he crumbled like a cookie under the pressure. Burke can blow all the smoke he wants to the fans and the media but this team is going to need a star goaltender to even keep up with how the east is stackin up. even if luongo isnt the answer,this team is in serious trouble if we cant find a goalie.
Agree 100%. You cannot go into next season having only acquired JVR, leaving Bozie at the #1 C spot, no leadership or size up front, and with 2 very young kids in goal. Recipe for a top 5 pick again.

Old
06-28-2012, 08:24 PM
pspot

Play the kids, get another top 5 pick, I'm good with that

None of this connolly, komisarek, armstrong, half way waste of time

Old
06-28-2012, 08:29 PM
Budsfan

Quote:
This is the point, Luongo is not the only goal tender out there and free agency hasn't even started yet, there are a lot of goal tenders available, either as UFA's, or through a trade.

Actually I'm ok with Reimer and Scrivens tandem.

Old
06-28-2012, 08:31 PM
Andrew Mack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmillz View Post
Agree 100%. You cannot go into next season having only acquired JVR, leaving Bozie at the #1 C spot, no leadership or size up front, and with 2 very young kids in goal. Recipe for a top 5 pick again.
The current asking price for Luongo and his ten-year deal is Jake Gardiner and more. Considering that if Vancouver can't trade him they will probably need to waive him, would you suggest at this time making that trade?

EDIT: Vancouver just re-signed Schneider tonight too, why trade anything of value at all for a backup goalie. Probably means they are close with Florida on a trade, which means we could snag Theodore for peanuts.

Last edited by Andrew Mack: 06-28-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old
06-28-2012, 08:40 PM
Cmillz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Mack View Post
The current asking price for Luongo and his ten-year deal is Jake Gardiner and more. Considering that if Vancouver can't trade him they will probably need to waive him, would you suggest at this time making that trade?
First, we don't actually know that for a fact and no, I wouldn't include Jake Gardiner in that deal. However, nothing is ever absolute and I'm sure there were discussions beyond just Jake Gardiner.

Secondly, Luongo will never play out the term of his contract.

Thirdly, Luongo has career stats similar to Patrick Roy and Martin Brodeur. Would you trade Jake Gardiner for a 32 yr old Patrick Roy? or Marty Brodeur? Not so easy when you take the BS surrounding his contract out of the equation. Even my own 'feeling' about not trading Gardiner still won't hold water if it was for a hall of fame goalie.

Old
06-28-2012, 08:44 PM
Andrew Mack

Quote:
First, we don't actually know that for a fact and no, I wouldn't include Jake Gardiner in that deal. However, nothing is ever absolute and I'm sure there were discussions beyond just Jake Gardiner.

Thirdly, Luongo has career stats similar to Patrick Roy and Martin Brodeur. Would you trade Jake Gardiner for a 32 yr old Patrick Roy? or Marty Brodeur? Not so easy when you take the BS surrounding his contract out of the equation. Even my own 'feeling' about not trading Gardiner still won't hold water if it was for a hall of fame goalie.
32-year old Roy and Brodeur weren't backup goalies demanding trades though. I'm in the same boat as yourself, there is no way I give up Gardiner. Gillis is playing hard-ball right now and I would rather go into the season with Reimer/Scrivens then give into his demands, but we can't blame Burke & co. if Luongo goes to Florida for a top prospect and other pieces when we would never give up our top prospect for him.

Old
06-28-2012, 08:46 PM
Drew311
Play Me

Quote:
It's amazing how fast Leafs fans write players off after one sub-par season.

Last summer Reimer was the answer to the Leafs goaltending problem. Now we have no chance to win if he's our number one this time around.

You do realize that most young players stuggle in their second NHL season, especially when they're elbowed in the head unexpectedly eight games in.

I would be fine with Reimer as our starter because I have confidence that he will have a bounce back season and be a bonafide number one goaltender. The Leafs will finally have a defensive system to work with, meaning we don't need Lundqvist in net to be in the top half of the NHL in goals against.

Old
06-28-2012, 08:46 PM
Cmillz

Quote:
32-year old Roy and Brodeur weren't backup goalies demanding trades though. I'm in the same boat as yourself, there is no way I give up Gardiner. Gillis is playing hard-ball right now and I would rather go into the season with Reimer/Scrivens then give into his demands, but we can't blame Burke & co. if Luongo goes to Florida for a top prospect and other pieces when we would never give up our top prospect for him.
Ok, but lets be clear...he is not a backup goalie. Luongo is top 5 in the league.

Old
06-28-2012, 08:50 PM
Andrew Mack

Quote:
Ok, but lets be clear...he is not a backup goalie. Luongo is top 5 in the league.
He would be a starter on most teams but yes he is Vancouver's backup goalie. This can not be disputed.

Old
06-28-2012, 08:51 PM
Cmillz

Quote:
He would be a starter on most teams but yes he is Vancouver's backup goalie. This can not be disputed.
Really? He backed up Corey Schneider all season?

Old
06-28-2012, 08:52 PM
Pyromaniac3

David Alter had a chat with Reimer today:

Quote:
"I want to be the starter. I want to be the guy but at the end of the day that’s up to Burkie and whether he feels that’s the right decision for the club is up to him."

At the 2012 NHL Draft last week, Burke stated that while they were looking for an upgrade in goal, it wouldn’t come at any cost. Burke also reinforced his position that he feels Reimer is "the real deal."

"When Burkie makes comments like that and compliments me it’s great for the confidence and it feels really good and you appreciate that when you’ve been trying to work hard and do your part," Reimer said.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/...oking_forward/

Old
06-28-2012, 08:53 PM
Andrew Mack

Quote:
Really? He backed up Corey Schneider all season?
http://metronews.ca/sports/113083/lu...-to-schneider/

He lost his starter's job to Schneider. He is Vancouver's back-up goalie. He would be a starter on most teams but the reason Vancouver is shopping him is because he is not their starter.

Old
06-28-2012, 08:53 PM
Budsfan

Quote:
Luongo is not top 5 in the League.... LEAGUE RANK 18th

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8466141

Old
06-28-2012, 08:54 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
6'3" is small?

JvR may not lay people out, but he uses his body effectively.

And Scrivens is 26. Ya, hes new to the NHL, but so was an older Tim Thomas and he turned out fine.

Old
06-28-2012, 08:56 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
6'3" is small?

JvR may not lay people out, but he uses his body effectively.

And Scrivens is 26. Ya, hes new to the NHL, but so was an older Tim Thomas and he turned out fine.
He also won the award that schneider won in the AHL, "Hap" award I believe.

06-28-2012, 09:09 PM
dimi78

Quote:

You don't trade young players like Gardiner for 30 + year old players, that's what got this team in this mess started well before JFJ with Quinn.

Funny thing these days Burke gets ripped apart for the Phill Kessel trade trading for a 21 year old star player calling it a quick fix yet now from countless posters it's quick this and quick fix that. WHERES THE PATIENCE WITH YOUTH people claim they have?

Part of being patient is not giving up on young guys like Reimer after a tough year and definitely not trading talented youth like Gardiner for a quick fix. Reimer will come back better than ever you'll see. I get the concern but you avoid making those types of trades for a quick fix each and every time regardless if Luongo had just 2 years remaining on his contract if the price is your best young player.

Old
06-28-2012, 09:11 PM
delirium trigger

Quote:
Ya, in fantasy hockey. There is a reason why a team who has been knocking at the door of a championship for a few years is trying to ditch their long term contract "elite" goalie with a guy that had one really good season and until now wasn't even signed... That's a huge shift in trust that doesn't just happen for no reason.. this is the same as price and halak, halak stole the net but they still trusted prices skill and elite status.. van has no trust in luongo, and neither does the team or else they would be trading schnieder or running them both till they won the cup.

Old
06-28-2012, 09:26 PM
showtime8

Quote:
Originally Posted by delirium trigger View Post
Ya, in fantasy hockey. There is a reason why a team who has been knocking at the door of a championship for a few years is trying to ditch their long term contract "elite" goalie with a guy that had one really good season and until now wasn't even signed... That's a huge shift in trust that doesn't just happen for no reason.. this is the same as price and halak, halak stole the net but they still trusted prices skill and elite status.. van has no trust in luongo, and neither does the team or else they would be trading schnieder or running them both till they won the cup.
Yea, its a big way of thinking to go from a veteran to a guy that hasn't started more than 60 games in the NHL.

Tough to consider when your a team that should be making the push in the next couple of years or else your time ends up.

Old
06-28-2012, 09:28 PM
One Man Wolfpack

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=399484

Schneider is signed......The fun begins...Good Luck Vancouver

Old
06-28-2012, 09:28 PM
RaskY
LLKL's finest

vCash: 50
Luongo is top five in my books.

Quick, Lundqvist, Rinne, Luongo, Miller (I guess I excluded Thomas since he won't be playing next season)

Old
06-28-2012, 09:35 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
he crumbled like a cookie because he was seriously injured. Upon his return, the team had a generational collapse. No goalie could have stopped that from happening.

Old
06-28-2012, 09:38 PM
bobbyflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaskY View Post

Quick, Lundqvist, Rinne, Luongo, Miller (I guess I excluded Thomas since he won't be playing next season)
if Luongo is top 5, that means Schneider is top 4

Old
06-28-2012, 09:40 PM
delirium trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaskY View Post

I think u would have to put schnieder ahead of luongo, and how could kip and broduer not be top 5 and luongo is?! Are you guys luongos relatives or something?!

Old
06-28-2012, 10:03 PM
showtime8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
if Luongo is top 5, that means Schneider is top 4
Schneider hasn't proven anything in this league. Much of the same as Anders Lindback, Bernier and the list goes on.

Please stop thinking about the shiny new toy that's big and popular for a bit.... what has Schneider done aside from take over for half a season? You know who else took over for half a season and put up very respectable numbers on a far worse team? James Reimer.

Closed Thread