HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Frattin

Old
09-25-2012, 12:35 AM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

vCash: 500
Matt Frattin

I kind of liked this kid last year.

I have no doubt he is a 25g guy.

However, what I noticed that made him stand out to me was how he took a hit.

There were atleast 3 times where I watched Frattin carry the puck and it looked like he was about to get killed a la Stevens on Lindros type hit. I am watching and going, "OMG he's dead." and yet when the hit happens it's the hitter that bounces off and hits the ice.

Now I checked Frattin's stats and he isn't some freak of nature weighing a lean 230lbs at 5'10". (to avoid further confusion he is listed as 6" 200lbs)

Somehow he seems to keep his feet. I'm sure someone will find clips of what I'm talking about somewhere.

But has anyone else noticed this?

And if so, how does it impact how much you value him?

Last edited by charliolemieux: 09-25-2012 at 01:03 AM. Reason: people thinking Frattin is is 5'10" and 230lbs
charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 12:40 AM
Schenn
In Rod We Trust

vCash: 816

This hit is exactly what you are describing. My favorite Frattin moment to date.

09-25-2012, 12:45 AM
maplehawk
HFB Partner

a lean 230 at 5'10 isnt freakish?

the kid is massive.

maplehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 12:46 AM
Raym11
Phaneuf sucks

Frattin is a beast, leafs need him badly, he's gonna be a 20+ goal scorer who can grind and hit

Raym11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 12:48 AM
leaffan88

Guy is and will be a beast. He's 5'10 and 230? That's a brick house....

Just gotta get that NHL scoring touch.

Anyone have updates on his injury? How bout updates on the lockout? Cuz the way it stands right now he could be Gretzky and we still wouldn't see him play...

leaffan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 12:49 AM
Everlong
-

Plays bigger than he is, love it.

Drives the net hard too.

He's going to have a very productive year no doubt. (lockout pending )

Everlong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 12:51 AM
Everlong
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaffan88 View Post
Anyone have updates on his injury?
Last I heard he was going to miss the first month of the season. With the lockout, he'll probably start with the rest of the team would be my guess.

Everlong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 12:51 AM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schenn View Post

This hit is exactly what you are describing. My favorite Frattin moment to date.
Exactly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehawk View Post

the kid is massive.
He isn't 230 at 5'10.

That would be freakish.

That would be bigger than the Governator during his Mr. Olympia days.

Old
09-25-2012, 12:52 AM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
If he is able to pull it together offensively in the NHL he would be an extremely valuable top 6 guy. He wouldn't be 'big' in the traditional sense but he plays the kind of game you want 'big' guys to play.

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 12:56 AM
My Sweet Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehawk View Post

the kid is massive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaffan88 View Post
Guy is and will be a beast. He's 5'10 and 230? That's a brick house....
You guys realize he's not 230 right? He's 6'0 200lbs. The OP was saying that he plays bigger than he actually is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
Now I checked Frattin's stats and he isn't some freak of nature weighing a lean 230lbs at 5'10".

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 01:34 AM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Sweet Shadow View Post
You guys realize he's not 230 right? He's 6'0 200lbs. The OP was saying that he plays bigger than he actually is.
such confusion from one comment.

Funny as all get out

Old
09-25-2012, 01:36 AM
TMLOBI

I was at a Marlies playoff game last season and he scored a goal where he caused a turnover in the offensive zone with a thunderous hit, took the puck and ripped it by the goalie. It was either the second or 3rd round.. I can't find it on youtube though.

I do like me some Frattin!

TMLOBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 01:38 AM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Yeah he's 6'0" and around 210 lbs I believe. Built like a brick house though and hard as hell to knock down.

Here's a picture from college, where a 6'3" 200+ lbs Mark Alt "attempted" to bodycheck Frattin...the result wasn't very pretty

I hope this kid destroys the AHL this year if there's no NHL hockey.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 01:38 AM
Kingstonian84*

I like Frattin, the guy has potential to be a 25-30 goal/50-60 point type player. He has a wicked shot, he's really strong on his feet, plays a lot bigger then he is and he drives the net too.

I see Frattin as a 2nd line stud, whats preventing him from being a top line player is his lack of creativity and vision.

He kind of reminds me a bit of Dustin Brown to be honest.

Kingstonian84* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 01:42 AM
ponder

Some guys are just solid on their skates, and Frattin is definitely one of them. Low stance when skating, strong, low centre of gravity, through themselves into hits instead of trying to avoid contact, etc. Guys like Ryan Callahan, Dustin Brown, Zach Parise and Sidney Crosby are the same way, really hard to knock off the puck despite not being the biggest players. I'd say it's pretty important, it's often the differences between winning puck battles and losing them.

As for Frattin himself, I certainly wouldn't say I have "no doubt he'll be a 25 goal guy," but I have no doubt that he'll be an NHLer. Very likely to be at least a solid 3rd liner, with solid 2nd liner upside. Fast, strong on his skates, pretty good hitter, works hard, and has a good shot. I think his hockey IQ could be a bit of a limiting factor offensively, he doesn't seem to have the best vision, but his tools should make him an effective offensive player regardless.

ponder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 01:43 AM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingstonian84 View Post
I like Frattin, the guy has potential to be a 25-30 goal/50-60 point type player. He has a wicked shot, he's really strong on his feet, plays a lot bigger then he is and he drives the net too.

I see Frattin as a 2nd line stud, whats preventing him from being a top line player is his lack of creativity and vision.

He kind of reminds me a bit of Dustin Brown to be honest.
Dustin Brown is a comparison that gets thrown around a lot. Frattin needs to be more physical to be like Brown though, Brown is a hitting machine, while Frattin doesn't hit much (though when he does it's like an 18-wheeler hitting a compact sedan).

I used to think Frattin couldn't be like Brown because I thought Brown was a lot bigger (I was thinking like 6'4"), but it turns out Brown himself is only 6'0" and weighs around the same as Frattin, so essentially they have the same physique. Crafting a Dustin Brown type game is not out of the realm of possibility for Frattin.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 01:57 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

He's a beauty for sure. I think he can be one of those hard hitting 20 goal players for us if all goes well and if there is a season.

09-25-2012, 02:03 AM
clawfirst

Don't want to rain on anyone's parade here but I see Poni. Big, strong, good shot, gets dirty to protect/drive the net, never gets hurt. 20-30g.

Not mean. Not scary. Good NHLer we always want more from.

clawfirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 02:10 AM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawfirst View Post
Don't want to rain on anyone's parade here but I see Poni. Big, strong, good shot, gets dirty to protect/drive the net, never gets hurt. 20-30g.

If he ends up producing like Poni I would be happy with that. I just hope he is able to produce like that without getting 1st line minutes haha.

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 02:10 AM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:

I think he takes a hit way better than POni.

The Biggest difference however is that when Frattin missed his opportunities is was because he hit the post and not completely whiffed on 1-timers set up by one of hte greatest LEafs ever. Sundin would have been a 100pt player in the 2000's if we could swap Poni for anyone with a decent 1-timer.

Atleast Frattin hits the puck, and he is way smaller than Poni but he plays bigger imo.

Old
09-25-2012, 02:15 AM
clawfirst

Id love to see him develop a mean streak, I just don't think it is there. Like him a lot and expect callers of leaf talk radio to rip him hard for not being what he could be if he was mean.

clawfirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 02:30 AM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Id love to see him develop a mean streak, I just don't think it is there. Like him a lot and expect callers of leaf talk radio to rip him hard for not being what he could be if he was mean.
I've got a Glenn Anderson vibe.

Maybe not 50g but he isn't playing with Mess ES and Gretz on the PP.

Old
09-25-2012, 03:30 AM
4evaBlue
Corsi != Possession

Not a big Frattin fan, but I will have to give him credit for being hard to knock off his skates.

My main beef with him atm are:
  • Not mean / aggressive enough to use his size to the maximum potential. The fact that 3 of his biggest "hits" of last season were other players trying to hit him and bouncing off him speaks volumes.
  • Doesn't drive the net. He's very much a perimeter player, which we have tons of.
  • His hockey IQ is extremely low. Atm, he's pretty much just a "speed down the wing to try to go around the defender, otherwise just take a ridiculous angle shot at the net" type guy.

The first two points will impact how good of a "grinder" he can be, while the last point seriously limits his upside for top 6.

I'm baffled at some here who project him to be a 25-30G player no problem, thinking that he was 18 years old during his rookie season, or something. He's only slightly younger than Kessel.

Hopefully he can turn his game around under Carlyle, who's much more demanding physically than Wilson was.

Last edited by 4evaBlue: 09-25-2012 at 04:20 AM.
4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 04:05 AM
MorriPage

The kid is a very strong skater, very good balance, hard to knock off his skates. If he could just start throwing that body around a little more often, he'd add a whole new facet to his game. I'm very high on Matt Frattin as a player that can really contribute a lot to this team.

MorriPage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 08:10 AM
Yosho
Logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
Not a big Frattin fan, but I will have to give him credit for being hard to knock off his skates.

My main beef with him atm are:
  • Not mean / aggressive enough to use his size to the maximum potential. The fact that 3 of his biggest "hits" of last season were other players trying to hit him and bouncing off him speaks volumes.
  • Doesn't drive the net. He's very much a perimeter player, which we have tons of.
  • His hockey IQ is extremely low. Atm, he's pretty much just a "speed down the wing to try to go around the defender, otherwise just take a ridiculous angle shot at the net" type guy.

The first two points will impact how good of a "grinder" he can be, while the last point seriously limits his upside for top 6.

I'm baffled at some here who project him to be a 25-30G player no problem, thinking that he was 18 years old during his rookie season, or something. He's only slightly younger than Kessel.

Hopefully he can turn his game around under Carlyle, who's much more demanding physically than Wilson was.
He's only played a year of professional hockey. Despite being an 'older' rookie, he's showing VERY promising signs.

Denying his potential because he's "slightly younger than Kessel" is a bit bizarre. Frattin has a good head on his shoulder since returning from his College troubles and has only improved since. He will get better.

Opinions vary - I understand that - but his age shouldn't be a factor when his game has improved by so much, so fast.

I like the guy a lot and am sure glad he's a Leaf.

Last edited by Yosho: 09-25-2012 at 08:16 AM.
Yosho is offline   Reply With Quote