HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should the Preds target Mueller?

Old
06-28-2012, 12:02 PM
ilikeblocks

vCash: 500
Should the Preds target Mueller?

The guy oozes talent, could be a top two line forward, but he's hampered by injuries. Could the preds take a chance on him? He screams preds reclamation project to me.

ilikeblocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 12:17 PM
alexmanu

Yes I totally think we should go for him and I think there's a decent chance Poile is interested in the guy.

alexmanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 12:52 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Absolutely, no questions asked.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 12:56 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

IMO, If ownership is really committed to spending and bringing in big pieces, I'd rather throw cash at Doan. Otherwise, I'd rather give one of our young kids a chance. IMO, Mueller just takes up a needed roster spot.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 01:01 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
IMO, If ownership is really committed to spending and bringing in big pieces, I'd rather throw cash at Doan. Otherwise, I'd rather give one of our young kids a chance. IMO, Mueller just takes up a needed roster spot.
And what happens when Parise wants to stay in the East and Doan wants to play in the Pacific Division to stay close to his family.

Mueller is a textbook rehabiliation project. Low risk, high reward.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:09 PM
Everlong
Franchise Pillar

Either him or Latendress. I think both are excellent buy low candidates.

More interested in Latendress, only because Mueller's success is in a relatively limited sample size but both have great offensive potential.

Everlong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 02:11 PM
glenngineer

No. While I have thought that low risk high reward was a smart move in the past, this year we need to make an impact. No more being silly or hoping people pan out. We need proven commodities, ones that we know will produce. This will send a message to Suter and Weber that we are players, not hoping guys pan out.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 02:16 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
No. While I have thought that low risk high reward was a smart move in the past, this year we need to make an impact. No more being silly or hoping people pan out. We need proven commodities, ones that we know will produce. This will send a message to Suter and Weber that we are players, not hoping guys pan out.
I agree we need to try as hard as possible for Doan/Parise/Ryan/Whitney/etc., but I have no problem with brining in Mueller as an extra piece.

If he is our headline signing, that wouldn't be good. If we sign/trade for a big name PLUS bring in Mueller, I'm happy.

Old
06-28-2012, 02:20 PM
MrJoshua

I'm not really interested in sending a message to Weber and Suter. This is a solid team that makes the playoffs regularly, has made the conference semi-finals two years in a row and is on the cusp of going from really good to great. If that combined with a competitive contract offer isn't enough to keep them on the team, then good riddance. They can go somewhere else and find out that the grass isn't always greener. Poile needs to be making decisions based on the needs of the team as a whole, not on what he thinks might make Suter or Weber happy.

MrJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 02:24 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJoshua View Post
I'm not really interested in sending a message to Weber and Suter. This is a solid team that makes the playoffs regularly, has made the conference semi-finals two years in a row and is on the cusp of going from really good to great. If that combined with a competitive contract offer isn't enough to keep them on the team, then good riddance. They can go somewhere else and find out that the grass isn't always greener. Poile needs to be making decisions based on the needs of the team as a whole, not on what he thinks might make Suter or Weber happy.
LOL. Cusp of good to great? Really? How so?

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 02:45 PM
MrJoshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
LOL. Cusp of good to great? Really? How so?
They make the playoffs regularly, and are a piece or two away from being Cup contenders. How else would you describe that? How many teams would you say are definitely better? Nashville is certainly in the top third of the league, which I would call very good, and they don't need a lot of tweaking to move into the top handful of teams.

MrJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 03:30 PM
luckofirish8

Suter played Polie and he tried/trying to play the Nashville fan base. If he resigns with Nashville, then I'm wrong and will fully admit it to anyone and everyone. Suter is still saying the same **** he was spouting off months ago. The day Suter didn't sign would have been the day he hit the wire. Same goes for Weber this season. Smaller market teams (like ourselves) can not afford to let guys this talented just walk away without getting something worth wild in return.

Back on topic...Mueller is someone I hope they target. Like others have said, its a low risk high reward move depending on the price.

luckofirish8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 03:35 PM
Iron Duke

Perhaps for a low price as a SK/Bergfors type reclamation project, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. Both him and Latendresse have had injury issues, and there are questions of work ethic and laziness hanging over both players.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 03:39 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckofirish8 View Post
Suter played Polie and he tried/trying to play the Nashville fan base. If he resigns with Nashville, then I'm wrong and will fully admit it to anyone and everyone. Suter is still saying the same **** he was spouting off months ago. The day Suter didn't sign would have been the day he hit the wire. Same goes for Weber this season. Smaller market teams (like ourselves) can not afford to let guys this talented just walk away without getting something worth wild in return.

Back on topic...Mueller is someone I hope they target. Like others have said, its a low risk high reward move depending on the price.
While this is true, it is also the case that teams that hope to be truly competitive and aspire to a Cup do not trade away star players simply because they might lose them for nothing. Doing so only sends the message that the team lacks faith in its ability to retain quality talent, which should deter any player serious about winning from signing here.

Old
06-28-2012, 04:37 PM
The Infamous Tank
Franklinator Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
Perhaps for a low price as a SK/Bergfors type reclamation project, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. Both him and Latendresse have had injury issues, and there are questions of work ethic and laziness hanging over both players.
Avs fan here Mueller won't ever be confused with the Callahans of the world, but after being out for a whole year he really worked hard got into shape and bulked up to protect himself. He would be a good fourth liner in nashville and has a great point shot for the 2nd PP(if Ellis doesn't make the team outta camp).

The Infamous Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 04:59 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Infamous Tank View Post
Avs fan here Mueller won't ever be confused with the Callahans of the world, but after being out for a whole year he really worked hard got into shape and bulked up to protect himself. He would be a good fourth liner in nashville and has a great point shot for the 2nd PP(if Ellis doesn't make the team outta camp).
It's good to hear, and I hope he can stay healthy, but I just don't see him fitting here. I don't think he's physical/active enough to fill a bottom 6 role under Trotz, alongside the likes of Yip, Halischuk, Bourque and Spaling and I don't see him as a sure-enough thing to sign as a top 6 forward. Would love to be proven wrong though.

Old
06-28-2012, 09:29 PM
adsfan

I thought this tread was about Chris Mueller. Last season, 73 games, 32 G and 28 A, #18 in AHL scoring for Milwaukee. Couldn't care less about the other guy.

Last edited by adsfan: 06-28-2012 at 09:34 PM.
adsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:01 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

SK already fills the soft, streaky, reclamation project quota for us. No thanks. He'll be overpaid and not worth the hassle. I do love his upside though, he's just too risky for me.

If he wants to come here, and leaves money on the table then sure, sign him. But I see him either getting paid too much, or going to a proven contender as secondary (or thirdary? lol) scoring.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:39 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
SK already fills the soft, streaky, reclamation project quota for us. No thanks. He'll be overpaid and not worth the hassle. I do love his upside though, he's just too risky for me.

If he wants to come here, and leaves money on the table then sure, sign him. But I see him either getting paid too much, or going to a proven contender as secondary (or thirdary? lol) scoring.
poile signs one every summer, plus a waiver pickup in season

in 10-11, the reclamation project(SK) worked and the waiver acquisition(Svatos) didn't

this year, the reclamation project(Bergfors) didn't stick but the waiver pickup (Yip) did..

(and the term for "third level" is "tertiary")

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 11:36 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
poile signs one every summer, plus a waiver pickup in season

in 10-11, the reclamation project(SK) worked and the waiver acquisition(Svatos) didn't

this year, the reclamation project(Bergfors) didn't stick but the waiver pickup (Yip) did..

(and the term for "third level" is "tertiary")
Yeah, I fully expect to see a low salary project player brought in, like the ones you listed. But I see Mueller asking for much more than league minimum. Like upwards of $2M. That's just too rich for a project player with concussion issues. Maybe I'm way off

And thanks, I'm terrible with words lol

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:56 AM
luckofirish8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
While this is true, it is also the case that teams that hope to be truly competitive and aspire to a Cup do not trade away star players simply because they might lose them for nothing. Doing so only sends the message that the team lacks faith in its ability to retain quality talent, which should deter any player serious about winning from signing here.
While I get what you are saying, the truth is we really haven't retained "top" talent in the past. Albeit a very small sample size. So, the other option is to reload with young talent. Polie not being able to get Suter to resign is only part of the problem. IMO (and that's all it is), Polie has failed miserably in his handling of Suter. I could be 100% wrong, and Suter resigns at some point in the near future. I'm just not holding my breath.

luckofirish8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:01 AM
Shea Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJoshua View Post
well said.

Shea Weber is offline   Reply With Quote