HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Young players fitting "the system"

Old
05-13-2013, 08:02 PM
Thekidline

vCash: 500
Young players fitting "the system"

During and after the kings series I was thinking about how certain playersfit into this system that Hitchcock has in place. Where everyone plays a 200 ft. game, forechecks hard, plays physical, cycles the puck. And I was wondering how would some of the prospects fit into this system? I was at first some what concerned that Schwartz and Tarasenko wouldn't fit this style of hockey (Tarasenko more than Schwartz). Obviously Schwartz has shown that he fits extremely well with Hitchcock and I believe that Tarasenko has shown that he does to but to a lesser extent.

What I'm asking is does anyone know more than what you can tell from highlight videos and scouting reports if players like Rattie, Jaskin, Hakanpaa, Eronen, Lehtera, etc would fit this system?

Thekidline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 08:08 PM
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME

i think jaskin, eronen and hakanpaa will fit for sure... rattie is the big question mark... he's the highly touted scorer who's skills we aren't sure will translate to the nhl. hoping he's gritty enough or defensive enough to fit our style

STLBLUES44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 08:14 PM
Thekidline

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLBLUES44 View Post
i think jaskin, eronen and hakanpaa will fit for sure... rattie is the big question mark... he's the highly touted scorer who's skills we aren't sure will translate to the nhl. hoping he's gritty enough or defensive enough to fit our style
I was thinking the same on Rattie. I was thinking he'd fit better probably on a more offensive minded team that skates the puck into the zone more, but who knows.

He isn't as big of a name but I have always felt that Ryan Tesink will fit in great as a third line guy on this team some day.

Old
05-13-2013, 08:14 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 50
As long as Rattie works hard on every shift and doesn't coast back on defense, then I think he will be fine.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 01:53 AM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
As long as Rattie works hard on every shift and doesn't coast back on defense, then I think he will be fine.
Exactly. He'll be bigger than Schwartz...All he has to do is try.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 07:14 AM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

The "system" wont be around much longer. Unfortunatley I think Hitch will be retiring in a season or two

Use the Schwartz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 10:44 AM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Coleman View Post
The "system" wont be around much longer. Unfortunatley I think Hitch will be retiring in a season or two
I don't think Hitchcock will be leaving because he is retiring I think it'll be due to another reason, This playoffs he really showed he can't adapt and was out coached. He's to damn stubborn to adjust at times.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 10:58 AM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

Well maybe that too. Either way, I hope that Doug has some worthy canidates in mind.

Use the Schwartz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 11:48 AM
The Note
Expectations: Low

Doesn't Hitch just have next season on his contract? I'd expect he's gone after this contract's up.

The Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 01:36 PM
HockeyGuy73

vCash: 113
I dont know, Hitch is Armstrongs guy. I think he will be here as long as he wants to be here, unless there is a complete break down and we are getting a lottery pick next year.

HockeyGuy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 04:39 PM
BlueDream

I bet Hitchcock coaches for another 2 years or so and then retires and then Armstrong maybe keeps him around in the organization in some regard as an 'advisor' or whatever.

He won't be getting fired. He's Armstrong's guy.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 10:44 PM
Thekidline

Whats the reasoning for everyone thinking hitch is leaving in the near future?

Old
05-14-2013, 11:32 PM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekidline View Post
Whats the reasoning for everyone thinking hitch is leaving in the near future?
My personally issues with Hitchcock was after the series was tied he still made no adjustments. When we were down he still did nothing. Then he blamed the players after we were eliminated when he failed to make any adjustments. Leopold had a bad series was was still in the lineup. The same can be said about AMac and Stewart. Really when it comes down to it we only had 2 productive lines and the other lines were not adjusted even though they were not very productive.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 12:07 AM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
My personally issues with Hitchcock was after the series was tied he still made no adjustments. When we were down he still did nothing. Then he blamed the players after we were eliminated when he failed to make any adjustments. Leopold had a bad series was was still in the lineup. The same can be said about AMac and Stewart. Really when it comes down to it we only had 2 productive lines and the other lines were not adjusted even though they were not very productive.
I feel the same way.

And it wasn't just line-up changes. When Sutter shortened his bench and started rolling three lines, Hitchcock responded in kind by benching the CPR line, which was very effective at maintaining offensive zone time. (Important if your trying to win games on defense.)

Although the CPR line wasn't "productive" I feel it was "effective" much of the time, in so much as they were able to eat up minutes and play a direct, physical brand of hockey which both set the tone for the rest of the team and wore out the oppostition.

Hitchcock let Halak, Tarasenko, and Russell sit in the press box while the Blues lost four games in a row in the playoffs.

Those are my issues.

I'm don't think he is leaving anytime soon. I mean, he hasn't even had the benefit of a single training camp, and this season was pretty crazy in terms of practice time, travel, and schedule. He has at least one more season before management even considers the position of head coach. I think it is likely he coahces for the remainder of his contract. Beyond that, who knows?

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 01:34 PM
Fluff Master
Registered n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
Feel exactly the same when it comes to Hitch this post-season. I don't know about him leaving after next year or staying in the organization afterwards, who really knows. I do think that his style can be a good fit for prospects coming in. As long as he doesn't remain as stubborn when he's clearly frustrated and utilizes the guys as they should be used things should turn out positive.

Fluff Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 02:31 PM
SteenMachine

I think the biggest issue people had / have with Hitch is that he does what most veteran coaches do, gamble on the vet to pick his game up instead of the kid to find another gear or step up their on ice consistency.

You can always argue one over the other, I think most experienced coaches are going to take the safer bet and then just blame the guy who knows better for not stepping it up rather than expose himself as a coach that puts younger players in over their head and is erroneously disappointed in their performance.

However St. Louis is also in a weird position where their highest ceiling players and best draft pedigrees are guys who fit the younger mold. I can understand why Tarasenko deserves 4 games of chances if someone like McDonald and Stewart can get them for doing nothing in all 6. I just don't think many coaches are going to agree with that though, if experienced players fulfilled their role then the coach has as well.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 03:44 PM
TimtheDJ84

vCash: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteenMachine View Post
I think the biggest issue people had / have with Hitch is that he does what most veteran coaches do, gamble on the vet to pick his game up instead of the kid to find another gear or step up their on ice consistency.

You can always argue one over the other, I think most experienced coaches are going to take the safer bet and then just blame the guy who knows better for not stepping it up rather than expose himself as a coach that puts younger players in over their head and is erroneously disappointed in their performance.

However St. Louis is also in a weird position where their highest ceiling players and best draft pedigrees are guys who fit the younger mold. I can understand why Tarasenko deserves 4 games of chances if someone like McDonald and Stewart can get them for doing nothing in all 6. I just don't think many coaches are going to agree with that though, if experienced players fulfilled their role then the coach has as well.
I agree and also think that eventually you either put up or shut up. Hitch gave the core the chance, they failed, and I don't think another coach is the answer. Would I have liked to see Frank and Russell? Sure,but there comes a time when you roll with those who should be getting it done and let them succeed or fail. Amac will be gone, perhaps a trade or signing made, and your D is already set. I don't like the thought of trading some of these guys,but something has to be done.

TimtheDJ84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 01:02 AM
BlueDream

I don't always agree with Hitchcock's lineup decisions but all in all he is a good coach. He has experience, a cup ring, knows how to get a lot out of his players, he's smart, and his system IS effective to win hockey games.

If I had to compile a list of the top 7 or so coaches in the NHL he would be in there. He's not going anywhere, and it wouldn't be smart to relieve him unless you're replacing him with someone better, but nobody better is available.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote