HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

2012-2013 Blues Prospects

Closed Thread

Old
03-14-2013, 12:20 AM
theduerf

vCash: 500
Jani Hakanpaa joining Riverman

Andy Strickland‏@andystrickland
2010 4th rounder and Captain of Finland's WJC team Jani Hakanpaa will join Peoria for rest of season. 6'5 rt shot D-man #stlblues

per twitter.

Should be there Thursday.

Old
03-14-2013, 01:32 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofSlashFoig View Post
To be honest their really wasn't anyone that stood out to me when we picked. I wanted Samuelsson but I'm not losing sleep over the fact that we skipped over him. Gaunce seems nothing more than a 3rd liner, same with Matteau, Pearson never really impressed me, and Skjei's stats look terrible so far. Schmaltz has pretty decent numbers as a rookie at UND, and their really is no pressing need to rush him, especially with guys like Hakanpaa, Eronen, and Edmundson in the pipeline.
There was this crazy run of four consecutive guys I wanted, was stunned ALL FOUR went. I really wanted Laughton (Philly's really high on him), then Maatta and Matheson, and was even intrigued by Jankowski's crazy upside. And it looked like they'd be there (most of em) and then boom boom boom boom.

I do think they shifted their focus organizationally to long term upside projects, guys who were talented but projects and were going to four year colleges to develop for awhile. Schmaltz, North Dakota; Kurker, BU; MacEachern, Michigan State (after a USHL year); Parayko, Alaska.

Old
03-14-2013, 01:50 AM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
There was this crazy run of four consecutive guys I wanted, was stunned ALL FOUR went. I really wanted Laughton (Philly's really high on him), then Maatta and Matheson, and was even intrigued by Jankowski's crazy upside. And it looked like they'd be there (most of em) and then boom boom boom boom.

I do think they shifted their focus organizationally to long term upside projects, guys who were talented but projects and were going to four year colleges to develop for awhile. Schmaltz, North Dakota; Kurker, BU; MacEachern, Michigan State (after a USHL year); Parayko, Alaska.
I've noticed that as well. I actually like their shift in philosophy. The Blues organization is deep/talented enough that they can afford to pursue upside at this point.

Old
03-14-2013, 02:54 AM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofSlashFoig View Post
To be honest their really wasn't anyone that stood out to me when we picked. I wanted Samuelsson but I'm not losing sleep over the fact that we skipped over him. Gaunce seems nothing more than a 3rd liner, same with Matteau, Pearson never really impressed me, and Skjei's stats look terrible so far. Schmaltz has pretty decent numbers as a rookie at UND, and their really is no pressing need to rush him, especially with guys like Hakanpaa, Eronen, and Edmundson in the pipeline.
Yeah, hes a freshman buried on a veteran group of defensemen, and his second half production was much better than his first. He'll probably play 3-4 years in college, but the NCAA has done a pretty solid job developing defensemen from the past 5-6 drafts.

Old
03-14-2013, 03:59 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
Ryan Tesnik signed his ELC. Here comes the new crop for Peoria!
Cool, I'm Happy Tesnik is in the pipeline now.

Old
03-14-2013, 05:20 AM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
The Hockey News did a re-ranking of the 2012 draft and Schmaltz didn't receive a vote, so he was outside of the top 50. I guess take that for what it's worth, not much, he was going to be a long project anyway.
These polls are pretty stupid, hell their FutureWatch had Tarasenko ranked something like 7th best draft prospect last year (and Kuznetsov at #1).

I think we should have been more aggressive at the draft last year (maybe we tried), but I don't know how highly we had Schmaltz ranked. I trust our scouting, even if I disagree with it sometimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
Ryan Tesnik signed his ELC. Here comes the new crop for Peoria!
Great news, hopefully he gets over his injury issues. That is some pretty nice LW depth in Peoria with Dmitrij Jaškin, Yannick Veilleux and Tesink next season.

Old
03-14-2013, 05:41 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:

I remember that draft too. My brother and myself were watching the board and were really wanting Laughton to fall or trade up for him. I wouldn't mind picking him up now, if we could.

I too like the philosophy on the LT projects. We will have our share of Travis Erstad's, but there will be Oshie's too. Then again, I've always wanted the draft age bumped back again to where it was to give the kids a chance to develop a bit more. Perhaps with the only exception being a stellar talent selected in the first 15 picks that must stay on the NHL roster. The WHA is long gone. Think we need a rule change.

Old
03-14-2013, 05:49 AM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
I think we should have been more aggressive at the draft last year (maybe we tried), but I don't know how highly we had Schmaltz ranked. I trust our scouting, even if I disagree with it sometimes
I remember a couple different blurbs flying out there about Schmaltz. One GM, scout, or director of personnel of some kind told a reporter (Rutherford?) that Schmaltz was a great pick and really reminded him of Mike Green. And I think somebody else said another team had him in the first half of the first round.

The Blues are incredibly well stocked in goal and have some very good wing prospects. So, in the absence of a scoring line center, if they can find defensemen who have top-4 potential, I am majorly in favor of picking those guys even if they're projects or risks. The chance of getting a defenseman who is as good as a career #4 as late as Schmaltz was taken is not very good. There are the occasional great picks late in the first round and beyond (Mike Green is one of those), and there are almost always going to be a few guys you prefer in hindsight, but if Schmaltz becomes just a serviceable NHL defenseman for multiple years, the Blues made a good pick.

Old
03-14-2013, 09:36 AM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

For a player like Schmaltz, the ranking is literally meaningless. For one he's the definition of a project and more significantly, for rankings purposes, he's been underexposed to a vast majority of scouts and talking heads unless you follow American prospects closely. He played two years in the USHL and the much less hyped World Junior A Challenge was the biggest international tourney he played in.

He's also much different than Mike Green and should be much more well rounded. Schmaltz isn't a puck-rushing type of offensive defenseman. He doesn't skate near as well as a guy like Green. He's the type of guy who will use his smarts to jump into a rush and create man advantages that way. He also is very sound positionally and has an elite defensive stick. And his power play abilities are excellent and he's gotten more PP time as the year progressed which resulted in an uptick in points.

Most people I know have described Schmaltz's year on the ice as "steady." I think he's gotten better as the year has gone along. But for me, as long as he's putting in the time in the weight room and showing the work ethic that was missing at times in juniors, which caused his ranking to plummet, it's a successful year for him. Hopefully he has a good showing coming up in the WCHA tourney and then the NCAA tourney which motivates him to have a big offseason off the ice.

Old
03-14-2013, 10:04 AM
stlweir

I think it is fair to say that Schmaltz and Parayko both had solid freshman years. Parayko is only 5 months older than Schmaltz. Hope they show I big jump of improvement as sophomores.

Old
03-14-2013, 04:11 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Schmaltz has an elite defensive stick? When we drafted him the word was, well, eventually he'll learn how to play defense. He was a one-way offensive defenseman. If during this season at North Dakota he's developed that level of defense that's amazing, and welcome, but if he had an elite defensive stick I'm pretty sure he'd be atop our prospects list.

Old
03-14-2013, 04:20 PM
JJTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by theduerf View Post
Andy Strickland‏@andystrickland
2010 4th rounder and Captain of Finland's WJC team Jani Hakanpaa will join Peoria for rest of season. 6'5 rt shot D-man #stlblues

per twitter.

Should be there Thursday.
He is actually over 6'6 now (200cm)

Old
03-14-2013, 04:27 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjtt View Post
We don't get to see SM-liiga games here, but we obviously watched Hakanpaa at WJC. How does he look compared to that appearance?

Old
03-15-2013, 11:23 AM
Mike Liut

"if" the Blues hadn't traded Eller, how would rate these players

Eller
Jaskin
Rattie

Old
03-15-2013, 11:30 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Since Ponich isn't panning out, we may have a new center for our off season basketball team.

Old
03-15-2013, 12:01 PM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes

vCash: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
"if" the Blues hadn't traded Eller, how would rate these players

Eller
Jaskin
Rattie
1. Jaskin
2. Eller
3. Rattie.

All should be very productive though.

Old
03-15-2013, 12:07 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

Eller
Jaskin
Rattie

Eller would be in our top 9 and probably no longer a prospect. He is a very good two way forward. Hated to see him go and would love to have him back. Schwartz probably in Peoria, until injuries hit.

Old
03-15-2013, 12:18 PM
Mike Liut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan View Post
Eller
Jaskin
Rattie

Eller would be in our top 9 and probably no longer a prospect. He is a very good two way forward. Hated to see him go and would love to have him back. Schwartz probably in Peoria, until injuries hit.

Eller was my favorite Blues prospect of all at the time of the trade. He's going to be a great 2-way forward. Wish we still had him. We needed Halak desperately though. I still like the trade, but Eller would look great centering the 3rd line currently. Possibly even centering the 1st with Backes on a wing.

Old
03-15-2013, 12:39 PM
Fluff Master
Registered n00b

Looks like Jani Hakanpaa is going to Peoria...

St. Louis Blues @StLouisBlues
Blues prospect Jani Hakanpaa, a fourth-round pick in 2010 that has been playing in Finland, will transfer to the @Peoria_Rivermen today.

Edit: My bad, posted in the Peoria thread, still learning the ins and outs here.

Last edited by Fluff Master: 03-15-2013 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Wrong thread
Old
03-15-2013, 12:45 PM
stlweir

I still don't have a good read on Eller. Like has size and skating, I'm just not sure what his offensive upside is. He scored 16 goals last season but 4 were in one game. He plays around 14.5 minutes a game so his production is OK. He turns 24 in June.

Old
03-15-2013, 02:07 PM
JJTT

Quote:
We don't get to see SM-liiga games here, but we obviously watched Hakanpaa at WJC. How does he look compared to that appearance?
Well he's offensive game haven't developed much. Good first pass and a big shot but can't use it properly. Can't dangle much and he wasn't used on the pp on his sm liiga team.

Good defensively, good shot blocking and positioning, uses his long stick well to break up passes Takes a lot of minor penalties because of his size. Physical player and likes to play the body. Skating is decent for guy of his size. Good leadership qualities and a really mature guy for his age.

His had some injury issues for the past few years 41 and 34 games out of 60

Old
03-15-2013, 02:15 PM
Finnpin

Quote:
And 222 lbs. He should fit better in the NA rinks

Old
03-15-2013, 02:29 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Well he's offensive game haven't developed much. Good first pass and a big shot but can't use it properly. Can't dangle much and he wasn't used on the pp on his sm liiga team.

Good defensively, good shot blocking and positioning, uses his long stick well to break up passes Takes a lot of minor penalties because of his size. Physical player and likes to play the body. Skating is decent for guy of his size. Good leadership qualities and a really mature guy for his age.

His had some injury issues for the past few years 41 and 34 games out of 60
Even before he grew to his current height, he looked raw and not fully developed when it came to agility and skating. Might still take him awhile to get accustomed to his body on ice. He needs to be given time.

Old
03-15-2013, 03:20 PM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Schmaltz has an elite defensive stick? When we drafted him the word was, well, eventually he'll learn how to play defense. He was a one-way offensive defenseman. If during this season at North Dakota he's developed that level of defense that's amazing, and welcome, but if he had an elite defensive stick I'm pretty sure he'd be atop our prospects list.
This isn't true. He is a dman who had outgrown playing against USHL competition so he was able to carry the puck up the ice very easily. I believe (THN - draft addition) stated he seemed like he had the puck on his stick half of the game.

Defense was really in question, simply because he wasn't really forced to play it, not because he didn't know how to play it. At North Dakota, he kept it simple at first and focused on his own zone. Now that he has adjusted, we are starting to see what he could really do.

Old
03-15-2013, 05:17 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1 View Post
This isn't true. He is a dman who had outgrown playing against USHL competition so he was able to carry the puck up the ice very easily. I believe (THN - draft addition) stated he seemed like he had the puck on his stick half of the game.

Defense was really in question, simply because he wasn't really forced to play it, not because he didn't know how to play it. At North Dakota, he kept it simple at first and focused on his own zone. Now that he has adjusted, we are starting to see what he could really do.
I'm 100% certain that at the time of the draft he was ABSOLUTELY seen as a one-way defenseman.

Here's one scouting report and here's another. IIRC Multimoodia had seen him play in person quite a few times and had the same impression.

Quote:
Why Your Team Will Take Him: Because his size and obviously elite offensive skill make him a very desirable commodity.

Why Your Team Will Pass on Him: Because he’s a high-risk prospect; because he’s got significant holes in his game – particularly defensively; because he’s a timid player in the dirty areas.

Strengths: Playmaking, Shooting, Offensive Acumen, Vision, Hands, Hockey IQ, Size

Weaknesses/Concerns: Skating, Physicality, Defensive Game, Strength, Turnover Propensity

Projection: Bottom-Pairing Offensive Defenseman/Elite Powerplay QB (15g, 45p potential)

Predicted 2012 NHL Draft Range: Second Round (32-46)
Overall Rank: 38
N.A. Rank: 28
USHL Rank: 7
Defensemen Rank: 16
U.S. National Rank: 7
Quote:
Although the mobility and vision/passing skills are Schmaltz’s greatest assets, he needs to improve his physical play and defensive positioning. He makes up for the lack of physicality with an active stick, but is lacking in refinement and polish, experience he should get in Grand Forks.

“Schmaltz was a bit of a disappointment for me after the rookie year he had,” said one Eastern Conference NHL scout recently. “He’s a legitimate ‘PMD’ with a nice shot and the ability to quarterback the power play. Having said all of that, there were times when he didn’t seem to be all that engaged in all three zones. He’s not talented enough to play like that at the next level and see success.”
Don't take my word for it. This is what Jeremy Rutherford tweeted after his first interview of Schmaltz:

Quote:
Schmaltz: “I’m an offensive defenseman. I can quarterback a power play. I just use my mind and I think my hockey sense is pretty good.”
Pretty difficult not to draw “one-way defenseman” from these descriptions, including the one out of his own mouth. Like I said, if he’s improved at North Dakota, awesome! But if his defense had been good at draft time, then his offensive skills would have seen him go in the top 10, there’s just no way around that.

Closed Thread