HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Blues Prospects

Closed Thread

Old
04-25-2013, 06:41 PM
Robb_K

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thallis View Post
Keep in mind that Datsyuk was a 6th round pick and TJ Hensick was a first rounder. Veilleux adjusting quickly is no guarantee Rattie won't have his struggles, same goes for Jaskin.
Datsyuk isn't a good example of a 6th Rounder making a long NHL career as a longshot. He was First Round quality, but not picked until The 6th Round because, back then, only Detroit knew how good he was, and the other NHL teams avoided drafting Russians, in general, unless they knew they wanted to come to North America, and they were known to have superstar potential. NHL teams' European scouting (other than Detroit's) was very weak back then.

Old
04-25-2013, 07:03 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Anti-Semite Mark Pederson holds the all-time WHL record with 47 in 71 games. Rattie has 44 in 68 games.
Interesting that you preface Mark Pederson's name with the adjective, anti-Semite. I hadn't heard of the incident to which you linked. As an assistant coach in Juniors, Pederson and his head coach continuously harassed a Jewish player on their OWN team. That is despicable. Pederson got a slap on the wrist (2 week suspension). He should have been fired for good. There is no place in youth sports for that kind of behaviour!

As a youth player (through midget) in Manitoba in the '50s and early '60s (who also happened to be Jewish), I took some flack (mostly from opponent players)-certainly never from coaches. We Jews took a lot of flack from players of Ukrainian, Russian and German extraction, but I never remember any problems from those of Scandinavian, Finnish or French Canadians.

We may have had even a few comments even from prospective new teammates. But that ended quickly when they found out we could play as well as they could, and we became a team. It's shocking and hard to believe that coaches would "institutionalise" racism on their own team.

Also interesting that Pederson, despite his great WHL numbers, had only 2 full seasons in The NHL (plus a few partial seasons). I wonder if he was taking out his career frustrations on that innocent kid. Now that I know what Pederson did, I surely hope that Rattie grabs the playoffs scoring record away from him.

Last edited by Robb_K: 04-25-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Old
04-27-2013, 12:09 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Rattie with a goal and an assist as Portland wins the game 4-1 and series 4-1. Edmundson's junior career is over. Portland advances to WHL finals against Edmonton or Calgary, Edmonton leads 3-2 after winning tonight. Griffin Reinhart just went out for the season for the Oil Kings so Rattie might play in the Memorial Cup, which is being hosted by WHL's Saskatoon. (Saskatoon won their division, had the 2d seed, then punked out in a first round sweep knowing they had the bye to the Memorial Cup. Weak sauce.)

Tesink, suspended for another game, might not play another game in juniors if his team is eliminated in Game 6.

I think these are the only two Blues prospects still playing.

Old
04-27-2013, 12:32 AM
Robb_K

Quote:
Rattie with a goal and an assist as Portland wins the game 4-1 and series 4-1. Edmundson's junior career is over. Portland advances to WHL finals against Edmonton or Calgary, Edmonton leads 3-2 after winning tonight. Griffin Reinhart just went out for the season for the Oil Kings so Rattie might play in the Memorial Cup, which is being hosted by WHL's Saskatoon. (Saskatoon won their division, had the 2d seed, then punked out in a first round sweep knowing they had the bye to the Memorial Cup. Weak sauce.)

Tesink, suspended for another game, might not play another game in juniors if his team is eliminated in Game 6.

So Rattie now has 45 career playoff goals-only 2 short of the record, and (if things play out right) he'll have quite a few games left to break it. I'll be very glad to be able to follow Rattie's and Jaskin's and Binnington's pro debuts next season.

Old
04-27-2013, 12:40 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:

Ponich is still playing in Alaska, who trail Stockton 3-2 in the second round of the ECHL playoffs.

Old
04-27-2013, 04:21 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Woywitka, Chorney, and Grachev recalled to practice with the big club.

Old
04-27-2013, 05:18 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Suppose technically Ponich is still a prospect, but he's a pure bust.

Old
04-27-2013, 05:23 PM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

Quote:
Ponich is better served as a traffic cone than a defenseman.

Old
04-27-2013, 05:24 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
He's still young, and it sometimes takes until age 26 or 27 for defencemen to have their games mature, and everything click in. I wouldn't write him off completely. I think he might eventually end up as a solid 3rd pairing NHLer. But that would still disappoint me, based on his having been a 2nd Round pick.

Old
04-27-2013, 05:30 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Ponich might be an AHL bust at this point.

Old
04-27-2013, 05:37 PM
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
He's still young, and it sometimes takes until age 26 or 27 for defencemen to have their games mature, and everything click in. I wouldn't write him off completely. I think he might eventually end up as a solid 3rd pairing NHLer. But that would still disappoint me, based on his having been a 2nd Round pick.
I don't think it will hurt us to wait a bit longer to find out.

Old
04-27-2013, 06:11 PM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#firstroundexit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
Woywitka, Chorney, and Grachev recalled to practice with the big club.
That's odd in my opinion.

Wow.

Do they really think giving Chorney a couple extra practices will help with his already developed body? I guess they are thinking he will help the big club which confuses me...

And I have not heard a lot about grachev recently, is he a bust??

Old
04-27-2013, 06:13 PM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by your jaskin too much View Post
That's odd in my opinion.

Wow.

Do they really think giving Chorney a couple extra practices will help with his already developed body? I guess they are thinking he will help the big club which confuses me...

And I have not heard a lot about grachev recently, is he a bust??
I'd say he's pretty close to one.

Old
04-27-2013, 06:17 PM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#firstroundexit

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofSlashFoig View Post
I'd say he's pretty close to one.
Well calling him up now means we have SOME faith right?

I mean he was picked over guys like Mcrae.

Also Cody Beach really intrigues me, I think he could be a solid NHLer.

Old
04-27-2013, 06:19 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

vCash: 130
All teams always call up a bunch of players. They are there just to use in practice, not to actually play and it has nothing to do with their development.

Old
04-27-2013, 06:19 PM
nicholas89alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
I think ponich was a second round pick based on one thing, 6 foot 7. if he was just 6,3 probably would have been a 4th rounder IMO

Old
04-27-2013, 06:29 PM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#firstroundexit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
All teams always call up a bunch of players. They are there just to use in practice, not to actually play and it has nothing to do with their development.
I know that all teams do that.

But what I was wondering is why choose players like Chorney and Grachev over players like Fairchild, Hensick, Mcrae.

There must be a thought process involved that I am not getting.

Old
04-27-2013, 06:31 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

vCash: 130
Quote:
I know that all teams do that.

But what I was wondering is why choose players like Chorney and Grachev over players like Fairchild, Hensick, Mcrae.

There must be a thought process involved that I am not getting.
Those 2 players are clearly better.

Old
04-27-2013, 06:33 PM
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson

Quote:
Well calling him up now means we have SOME faith right?

I mean he was picked over guys like Mcrae.

Also Cody Beach really intrigues me, I think he could be a solid NHLer.
Cody Beach interests me as well. He seems like a guy who will need time to develop at every step up in his career. Patience seems to be key with this guy IMO.

Old
04-27-2013, 06:35 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Chorney was signed as a 7th/8th/9th but the Blues got more depth. Hensick is an AHL-only player, that's established. Grachev won't score but he can hold the fort defensively, Hitchcock has seen that. McRae is not even one of the top 20 skating prospects at this point. I think it's less than 50-50 they even qualify him in the offseason.

Old
04-27-2013, 07:00 PM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#firstroundexit

So does Grachev have a future in the NHL?

Old
04-27-2013, 07:03 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Probably not, but he's far more capable of playing minutes in the NHL in an emergency and not hurting you than McRae or Hensick.

Old
05-01-2013, 07:23 AM
Teus

Blues sign Niklas Lundström to a 3-year entry level contract according to Aftonbladet, which are pretty reliable when it comes to Swedes signing in the NHL.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...cle16701438.ab

Old
05-01-2013, 11:14 AM
Alklha

vCash: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teus View Post
Blues sign Niklas Lundström to a 3-year entry level contract according to Aftonbladet, which are pretty reliable when it comes to Swedes signing in the NHL.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...cle16701438.ab
Not a surprise, but good to get the deal done. He'll almost certainly remain in Sweden next season though.

Old
05-01-2013, 12:41 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
Not a surprise, but good to get the deal done. He'll almost certainly remain in Sweden next season though.
Good that he wants that, as The Blues really have no roster space at Evansville or Chicago Wolves for him to play on one of their minor league teams. They will have a hard enough time placing Allen, Binnington and Karpowich, as it is.

Closed Thread