HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Impending Enroth/Miller debacle

Old
06-28-2012, 11:45 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
The Impending Enroth/Miller debacle

After watching what has unfolded with Rask and Schneider (both goalies from being a backup behind a star going to getting paid 3+ million), and now Bernier asking for a trade after Quick given a 10 year contract extension...what is the plan re: Enroth and Miller.

A few facts:

- Miller's NTC isn't ironclad. It's simply a list of 8 teams he won't accept a trade to.
- Miller's contract is up on July 1st, 2014. So, if Miller isn't up to par, buying him out after next season is a little over 2 million per year for 13-14 and 14-15. So an option you can explore

Given how things are going, I would suggest, unless he flounders horribly, it's Enroth's last season as a backup.

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 11:50 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Okay, but can you really pay miller ~$6 million to be a backup goaltender in the final year of his contract?

There's no way in hell they buyout Miller's final year just to give Enroth the starting job sooner, something else would have to happen.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 11:54 PM
McTank

You dont buyout ryan miller, if enroth gets 25-30 games this year and looks good than explore trading miller (for kane )

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 11:57 PM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

If we're not in a playoff position or close at the deadline this year maybe that's the time to move miller to a contender with G uncertainty or injury

Same with next season,

Karate Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:04 AM
Cirris

Send a message via Yahoo to Cirris
I'm sorry. But Enroth is not a Stanley Cup caliber goaltender.

He does show flashes of greatness for short periods of time but he can never maintain it for long stretches. Being a smallish goaltender, he relies too much on athleticism. During the long grind of a season, especially under Ruff, he'll likely wear out and his game will tank when you need him most.

If he becomes the starting goalie over Miller, then it's time to start looking elsewhere for a new one.

Cirris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:06 AM
drinking bleach irl
don't be so serious

vCash: 436
There's no such thing as a Stanley Cup caliber goaltender.

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:13 AM
McTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirris View Post
I'm sorry. But Enroth is not a Stanley Cup caliber goaltender.

He does show flashes of greatness for short periods of time but he can never maintain it for long stretches. Being a smallish goaltender, he relies too much on athleticism. During the long grind of a season, especially under Ruff, he'll likely wear out and his game will tank when you need him most.

If he becomes the starting goalie over Miller, then it's time to start looking elsewhere for a new one.
Hes young, consistency will come with experience

Old
06-29-2012, 12:15 AM
Fly Boy
Aye Sir!

Barring a healthy roster (at least a healthy defense) Miller is elite, it would take a fool to trade him.

He IS the face of this franchise right now, so you let him ride out the end of his contract. Weather he re-signs or not is unimportant, as I believe he is the goaltender to lead us to the Stanley Cup. He is that good and he can be "The One."

Fly Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:19 AM
jfb392

I don't see a problem.
Unlike Boston, LA, and Vancouver, we don't have a surefire NHL starter waiting in the wings.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:22 AM
McTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
I don't see a problem.
Unlike Boston, LA, and Vancouver, we don't have a surefire NHL starter waiting in the wings.
Exactly, Enroth isnt at schneider or rasks level yet. Bernier is debatable but with him he knows he cant be a starter for the next ten years

Old
06-29-2012, 12:25 AM
Fly Boy
Aye Sir!

Quote:
I don't see a problem.
Good point jfb. We don't know what we have in Enroth just yet so keep Miller.

Fly Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:39 AM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

You guy don't think, if we're sitting in 12th place at the trade decline we wouldn't move him... Particularly in 13-14?

Obviously I want them to be awesome... But it's gonna be crazy interesting to see what happens if we regress this season in regards to the GM and coach as well as the roster.

Old
06-29-2012, 12:42 AM
McTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate Johnson View Post
You guy don't think, if we're sitting in 12th place at the trade decline we wouldn't move him... Particularly in 13-14?

Obviously I want them to be awesome... But it's gonna be crazy interesting to see what happens if we regress this season in regards to the GM and coach as well as the roster.
I think te idea of us sitting 12th at the deadline is unrealistic unless we get bombarded with injuries, if it were to happen in 13-14 and we werent extending him than yes obviously he would be traded

Old
06-29-2012, 12:52 AM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
I think te idea of us sitting 12th at the deadline is unrealistic unless we get bombarded with injuries, if it were to happen in 13-14 and we werent extending him than yes obviously he would be traded
I would hope it is unrealistic..... But if some teams in the east get better (leafs, isles, tb, canes) and we don't it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Old
06-29-2012, 12:53 AM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

It's really too early, and I don't just mean that the way some people do to shut down a conversation. Give him 25-30 games this year and then you see, but I honestly think it's a tossup at this point if Enroth ever becomes an NHL starter or if Miller retires here. Just not enough data.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 02:38 AM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Enroth hasn't proven he's anywhere near the goalie Schneider and Rask are.

#1 Both performed fantastically in the playoffs.
#2 Rask was one of the highest ranked prospects in the world when he was still prospect status. Not sure how Schneider was regarded
#3 Both have proven more in the regular season if for no other reason than they've had more opportunity, but beyond that simply in overall performance
#4 I AM NOT at all trying to use this to count against Enroth, but both have good size where Jhonas doesn't, and that is at least a little bit more reassuring.

The bottom line is I'm just not concerned with the possibility of a "fiasco" with Enroth because he hasn't really shown me he is our future #1, so worst case scenario we have to deal him, which is probably what is in the cards anyhow.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 03:57 AM
Salzig
I am laudable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Enroth hasn't proven he's anywhere near the goalie Schneider and Rask are.
Exactly. I'm not convinced that Enroth is going to be a starter here. Goalies are very hard to judge and their performances can extremely range from stellar to miserable, as examples: Corey Crawford (2010/11 and 2011/12), Jonas Hiller (1st half of the 2011/12 season and 2nd half of the 2011/12 season).... even Andrew Raycroft won the Calder Trophy once....

So, I hope Miller will stay at least till 2014. He's a proven goalie who hadn't payed that well last year, but I see no reason why he can't bounce back. Miller is still one of the better goalies in the league and we don't need to rush on Enroth.

Salzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 05:18 AM
Duddy
Everyday is

For years that we were missing a capable backup goalie, now that we have one we trade our starter?

Why is depth always evil around these parts?

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 06:14 AM
BowieSabresFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddy View Post
For years that we were missing a capable backup goalie, now that we have one we trade our starter?

Why is depth always evil around these parts?
Trade proposal: Roy and Miller for Ott!

Seriously, as a couple have said, the jury is still out on Enroth. As of this point, he has not proven he can even be an everyday NHL starter. He certainly is not in the Rask or Schneider category. Just be happy we might have a goaltender that Ruff will use as a backup (maybe).

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 06:49 AM
HiddenInLight

I havnt seen enough from Enroth to be content with him in net every night....sorry =/

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 07:16 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Rask and Schneider have both proven that then are ready to take the next step.

Enroth has not.

Until that happens, there is no 'impending debacle'.

SackTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 07:28 AM
HogtownSabresfan

Silly. Enroth hasn't proved much. If he gets hot at some point next year, rest Miller and give Jonas a chance to run with the ball. Let's see what he can do before we got nuts moving Miller -- and there is a market for Ryan if his concussion is gone.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 07:44 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
I don't see a problem.
That was my thought. Enroth has a long way to go before he's in the same company as Rask or Bernier. There is no pending "debacle" outside of the Sabres potentially not having a starting caliber netminder in the system and ready when Miller's deal is up.

06-29-2012, 07:57 AM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
That was my thought. Enroth has a long way to go before he's in the same company as Rask or Bernier. There is no pending "debacle" outside of the Sabres potentially not having a starting caliber netminder in the system and ready when Miller's deal is up.
Sounds like what happened when Hasek left....

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:16 AM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
You dont buyout ryan miller, if enroth gets 25-30 games this year and looks good than explore trading miller (for kane )
This is correct. You don't buyout Ryan Miller. He buys you out.

TakeThatTootoo is offline   Reply With Quote