HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Purpose Trades/UFA/Roster Discussion Thread (Bobby Ryan is "Available") Part II

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2012, 07:34 PM
Bodacious Wits
Porkins the White

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
Before draft I was saying 6th overall + Holland/Rakkel/Gibson.

I don't think it's smart to trade a player like Ryan to fill a hole, because it just creates another one. I honestly am absolutely flabbergasted that we arent at least interested in Jokinen. I think that's a joke personally. I just don't believe Murray ever intended to build the 2nd line around Ryan.
And which team that had a youngish surplus 2C would have been interested in that package?

Old
07-02-2012, 07:37 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
It does create a hole but finding a quality winger is a lot easier than finding a quality centre. And all of our young wingers coming up are going to need a centre to play with.
True but I think the chances of finding another player who puts up Ryan's numbers aren't great. Maybe i just value Ryan higher then most i guess. IMO trading a player like him is a last resort thing, but for Murray it seems to be the quickest way to fix all the holes he has created. I think every option should be explored first (including FA's), then you look to move unproven assets before moving someone like Ryan. Especially with perry yet to be unsigned and Selanne's near retirement. Do u guys really think perry isn't licking his chops at the money Parise is about to get? We need to do everything in our power to persuade him to stay.

Old
07-02-2012, 07:40 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Cat View Post
And which team that had a youngish surplus 2C would have been interested in that package?
Obviously there is no way to know the answer to that. I do know that Riberio went for nothing close to that. I believe he would have been a very good option. Roy just went for a 3rd and 4th liner, although out is a solid player. I also bring up Jokinen again. There is no reason we shouldn't be at least interested in him. I just firmly believe that Murray is looking at Murray to solve problems, when IMO, that should be a last resort move.

Old
07-02-2012, 07:41 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Ott. Dumb ass auto correct

Old
07-02-2012, 08:17 PM
TheFlyingV
Anatidaephobia

Quote:
Originally Posted by quentez View Post
Whats this e4, e5 crap?

EDIT: No worries, I googled it.
(E1) means that the rumour has zero chance of happening, (E2) (E3) and (E4) mean the same as (E1), and (E5) means that TSN has already reported it

Old
07-02-2012, 08:20 PM
Bodacious Wits
Porkins the White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
Obviously there is no way to know the answer to that. I do know that Riberio went for nothing close to that. I believe he would have been a very good option. Roy just went for a 3rd and 4th liner, although out is a solid player. I also bring up Jokinen again. There is no reason we shouldn't be at least interested in him. I just firmly believe that Murray is looking at Murray to solve problems, when IMO, that should be a last resort move.
Ribeiro and Jokinen are not youngish. Roy is problematic, too. It's impossible to know what was available because there weren't any. Not for that package.

But, even if there was one available, there is no money to pay Getzlaf, Perry, Ryan, and fantasy-2C under our budget. Ryan makes too much for the role he plays, and his money is much better spent on a center.

Old
07-02-2012, 08:34 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
But, even if there was one available, there is no money to pay Getzlaf, Perry, Ryan, and fantasy-2C under our budget. Ryan makes too much for the role he plays, and his money is much better spent on a center.
That's a baseless assumption at this point. If it's really that bad, then I think we'd be hearing about Perry as a potential trade target, since his salary actually does spread out our top six more than Ryan's contract would.

Old
07-02-2012, 08:49 PM
Tony O

[WPG] Olli Jokinen [2 years, $9 million - $4.5m cap hit]on the main board.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1222811

Old
07-02-2012, 09:07 PM
Bodacious Wits
Porkins the White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
That's a baseless assumption at this point. If it's really that bad, then I think we'd be hearing about Perry as a potential trade target, since his salary actually does spread out our top six more than Ryan's contract would.
All things being equal, that would be the analysis. But Perry is Perry, and Ryan is Ryan. Things are not equal.

Old
07-02-2012, 09:08 PM
Gibson Les Palms
pas assez bon

Would be funny if Howson acquired Ryan so he could monopolize the Nash market again Anything attractive pieces in Columbus?

Old
07-02-2012, 09:11 PM
airforceones25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Teemu View Post
Would be funny if Howson acquired Ryan so he could monopolize the Nash market again Anything attractive pieces in Columbus?
Johansen would be a must but no way CBJ would move him. They are trying to build a young core and he certainly figures into that.

Pretty sure their prospects are booty too besides Murray.

Old
07-02-2012, 09:12 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
All things being equal, that would be the analysis. But Perry is Perry, and Ryan is Ryan. Things are not equal.
You don't get to have your cake and eat it, too. If we're in that kind of budget crunch, then we're not a team that can afford two players pulling down 7 million+. It doesn't matter if Ryan is the lesser player if he's the only one that's in our price range.

It's fine if you hate Bobby and you want to see him go, but this budget crap isn't necessary for you to make that argument. I literally haven't seen that idea advanced anywhere but here.

Old
07-02-2012, 09:21 PM
Bodacious Wits
Porkins the White

Quote:
You don't get to have your cake and eat it, too. If we're in that kind of budget crunch, then we're not a team that can afford two players pulling down 7 million+. It doesn't matter if Ryan is the lesser player if he's the only one that's in our price range.
It's not that simple. We've overspent on wingers for our budget. Being strong down the middle makes us a better team than having a relatively less-effective scoring surplus on the right side.

Yes, you could address that by trading Perry instead of Ryan, and in a more budget-efficient way. But it would be idiotic to trade an MVP level player just to keep Ryan on the roster.

Quote:
It's fine if you hate Bobby and you want to see him go, but this budget crap isn't necessary for you to make that argument. I literally haven't seen that idea advanced anywhere but here.
Wow, literally?

Old
07-02-2012, 09:32 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
It's not that simple. We've overspent on wingers for our budget. Being strong down the middle makes us a better team than having a relatively less-effective scoring surplus on the right side.

Yes, you could address that by trading Perry instead of Ryan, and in a more budget-efficient way. But it would be idiotic to trade an MVP level player just to keep Ryan on the roster.
If the margins are that tight, then you can't afford any wingers to play with that center. We wouldn't be trading an MVP level player to keep Ryan on the roster. We'd be trading him to have a full roster.

Of course, none of this matters, since this isn't the reason why Bobby will be traded. It's obvious when we can't afford a player. We saw that with Pronger. There wasn't a lot of ambiguity heading into that off season.

Quote:
Wow, literally?
It's a bit early in the conversation for the desperate snark, isn't it?

Old
07-02-2012, 09:37 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 90
Perry + Getzlaf work together and could justify the extra cash. I'm not convinced Ryan + Getzlaf works, even at less cash.

Quote:
It's a bit early in the conversation for the desperate snark, isn't it?
Hey, it's never too early for snark.

Old
07-02-2012, 09:43 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Ribeiro and Jokienen aren't youngish, but that doesn't mean we can't sign them. Not exactly sure where you are going with that. We cant afford to pay them + Ryan? Is that a joke? We arent even at cap floor yet, and if Selanne's re-signing makes that too expensive, it can all be traced back to the stupid Souray signing. Also exactly how is Ryan overpaid for what he does? 2nd line 30 goal scorer is being paid about what Ryan is. So we can't afford to pay a 2nd line center 4-5 million, but we can pay a 5th defenseman that? If Selanne isn't gone this year, he's gone next year for sure.

Say what you want about Ryan, but after this next season, he would be the 2nd line RW, who I probably going to put up another 30 goals. He is in no way overpaid for what he does. If you think he's expendable fine, but saying we can't pay a 2nd line center 5 million and have Ryan is simply wrong. There is no reason we can pay a bottom pairing defenseman a ton of money but not a 2nd line center for Ryan. If $$$$ is really the reason we didn't sign Jokienen then Murray more incompetent then I though. I still think it's wrong though. We could easily afford Jokinen or another 2nd line center at 4-5 million even with Souray.

Old
07-02-2012, 09:47 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
Perry + Getzlaf work together and could justify the extra cash. I'm not convinced Ryan + Getzlaf works, even at less cash.
The problem being posed wasn't what we're willing to spend, but what we're capable of spending. This team isn't going anywhere if ELCs are all it can afford to fill out half of the top six. If Ryan is moved it's going to be because the return fills out the missing pieces. There wouldn't be any question about his departure if the issue was otherwise.

Old
07-02-2012, 09:51 PM
DaDucks

Another day gone.... And Koivu still is our 2nd line center

-sigh-

Old
07-02-2012, 10:02 PM
Eddie Shack
The doctor is in!

Can we all agree to stop pretending BM is only "listening" to offers for Ryan? If he weren't at the "begging for offers" stage he would be making it abundantly clear, publicly, that only a vast overpayment will pry Bobby away. I'm not hearing that anywhere from him.

I'm not saying Bobby is gone tomorrow, but I think it is quite clear trading him is all part of BM's master plan. God help us all.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:03 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
The problem being posed wasn't what we're willing to spend, but what we're capable of spending. This team isn't going anywhere if ELCs are all it can afford to fill out half of the top six. If Ryan is moved it's going to be because the return fills out the missing pieces. There wouldn't be any question about his departure if the issue was otherwise.
I think you're right. I don't think money is the main problem.

Ryan made too much to be on the first line with Getzlaf and Perry. If he can serve as an anchor for the 2nd line, then he could fit in salary-wise. I'm not sure I can see him as an anchor, but maybe it will work as a 2nd line anchor (just not a 1st line anchor).

I think it might be wise to move him, just because I think with him still having the "potential" tag he could garner more than his eventual worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
Can we all agree to stop pretending BM is only "listening" to offers for Ryan? If he weren't at the "begging for offers" stage he would be making it abundantly clear, publicly, that only a vast overpayment will pry Bobby away. I'm not hearing that anywhere from him.

I'm not saying Bobby is gone tomorrow, but I think it is quite clear trading him is all part of BM's master plan. God help us all.
I'm with you. When asked about Ryan being on the block, his response wasn't an enthusiastic denial. Ducks fans take it as "he's only passively listening." But I'm pretty sure if Getz or Fowler were the subject he would have denied it more vehemently. I think he is basically passively admitting it.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:04 PM
Gibson Les Palms
pas assez bon

Tweeted Flyers beat writer and he said Ducks asking for Couts, Flyers saying no. Not anything new really.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:07 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

I still don't understand why Philadelphia keeps going after forwards. Ryan, Nash, Parise. I mean I get why they have a hard on for Ryan, but still.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:07 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post

The offers will be based on what happens with Parise, then Nash. It's only a couple of teams involved in the arms race, and they all already know the score. Nothing changes until those pieces fall, then he sees if the other teams are desperate enough to make it worth trading Bobby. There's no reason other than Bobby's ego for him to say anything.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:09 PM
Lord Flashheart
Squadron Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
I still don't understand why Philadelphia keeps going after forwards. Ryan, Nash, Parise. I mean I get why they have a hard on for Ryan, but still.
I think they want to break 300 goals in a season. That's my best guess.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:13 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
I think they want to break 300 goals in a season. That's my best guess.
For or against?

Closed Thread