HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montoya/Callahan/USA Win 8-2!

Closed Thread

Old
01-01-2005, 10:11 PM
FLYLine24*

vCash: 500
Montoya/Callahan/USA Win 8-2!

Tomorrow night USA Vs RUSSIA. Its going to be an AMAZING game!

Thoughts on Montoya and Callahan tonight:

Montoya - Played a VERY solid game. Made some big saves in the 2nd period which led to the breakout of the USA offense in the 3rd. The 2 goals were not really his fault...first goal was on a 3 on 1....Sweeden roofed it from a feed to the center to the RWer(I doubt any goalie could have saved it unless they stayed on there feet which no goalie would do). 2nd goal defense feel asleep and a pass went right to a sweeden player in front of montoya...nobody around either of them and the sweeden player made a simple deke to the backhand passed montoya and scored. Overall...best game of the torney..played a full 60 minutes.

Callahan - Top 3 player tonight on the ice, was all over the place making nice passes, hitting hard, and playing good defense. Drew a penalty which USA scored on. Didnt score but played a GREAT all around game.

USA! USA! USA!! USA!

Old
01-01-2005, 10:31 PM
Choice

Callahan looks like a pest. Sweden's players kept loosing their cool with him after whistles.

Old
01-01-2005, 11:13 PM
FLYLine24*

A home grown Barnaby.

Old
01-01-2005, 11:26 PM
Skroob*

awsome. I dont know why, but i like the fact that we've been drafting lots of US talent in the last few years, with a mix of top-notch euros.

Canadiens are such a thing of the past.

Old
01-01-2005, 11:47 PM
Habs4Life

vCash: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skroob
awsome. I dont know why, but i like the fact that we've been drafting lots of US talent in the last few years, with a mix of top-notch euros.

Canadiens are such a thing of the past.
just like the new york rangers

Old
01-01-2005, 11:51 PM
Skroob*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4Life
just like the new york rangers
hey, we're both in the same boat here. (1993, 1994).

Old
01-01-2005, 11:54 PM
xander

last ranger cup: 94. last habs cup: 93.

of course, there are all those cups the habs won before 93, but that's the past right?

Old
01-02-2005, 12:25 AM
nyr5186

Speaking of drafting Americans, how lucky would we be if we wound up with that kid Phil Kessel in '06? He's the youngest player in the tournament and he's dominating it. Scored two of the prettiest goals you'll ever see in one game.

Old
01-02-2005, 01:33 AM
Skroob*

I'd LOVE to have Kessel. I would go as far as to say id want him over Ovo or Crosby at this point, NOT because i think he will be better, but i like his style better and may be better for the team we are building.

Old
01-02-2005, 01:46 AM
Barnaby

I am no scout, but I'll be shocked if Kessel isn't a major NHL star. I would LOVE to have this kid. I keep hearing about Frolik, but I can't see him being a better fit for us then Kessel. He's just the total package.

Old
01-02-2005, 02:06 AM
FLYLine24*

Id Rather have Crosby over Kessel but Kessel over Ovo. Hes got a great work ethic on ice and he was doing some pretty unbealivable things on the ice in the past games. He will be just as exciting as Bure was.

Old
01-02-2005, 12:05 PM
DarthSather99

In the mid to late 80's the Rangers always had success drafting American born players. Leetch, Amonte, Weight, Turcotte, Richter That was the heart of the team that brought us the Stanley Cup. Some traded for top talent others kept here to carry the cup around the ice. It would be great if we get Kessel or Jack Johnson. Johnson, Montoya, Callahan, Montoya and others USA USA USA

Old
01-02-2005, 01:35 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine4LIFE
Id Rather have Crosby over Kessel but Kessel over Ovo. Hes got a great work ethic on ice and he was doing some pretty unbealivable things on the ice in the past games. He will be just as exciting as Bure was.
With the roster as it currently stands, the Blueshirts could end up with a top-3 pick. If they could find a way to unload any of Weekes, Jagr, or Holik, they'd seal their position there and have a chance at the #1 overall in '06. Unfortunately I see them adding talent, not subtracting it.

Old
01-02-2005, 02:42 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
I wouldn't get THAT excited. Ovenchicken is still considerably ahead of Kessel in terms of talent and development. That may change over the next few years, but right now you can't really make any reasonable argument to take Kessel over AO. Ovechkin is about as close to a sure thing as there is in terms of NHL prospects. Ovechkin is built for the NHL.

I do think the world of Kessel and hope we find some way to get him tho

Old
01-02-2005, 02:57 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
I wouldn't get THAT excited. Ovenchicken is still considerably ahead of Kessel in terms of talent and development. That may change over the next few years, but right now you can't really make any reasonable argument to take Kessel over AO. Ovechkin is about as close to a sure thing as there is in terms of NHL prospects. Ovechkin is built for the NHL.

I do think the world of Kessel and hope we find some way to get him tho

Dont get me wrong...if someone asked me who would you want on the Rangers in the lineup this year I would say no doubt Ov. but im talking in the long run...i think Kessel will be a better team player, a go to guy. He gives 110 percent and is always trying to make something happen on the ice. He still has 2 years before his draft and in those 2 years hes only going to get better and better.

Old
01-02-2005, 03:20 PM
NYR2

Quote:
A home grown Barnaby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr4life5186
Speaking of drafting Americans, how lucky would we be if we wound up with that kid Phil Kessel in '06? He's the youngest player in the tournament and he's dominating it. Scored two of the prettiest goals you'll ever see in one game.
That would be pretty awesome. He's been so impressive, all I hear is his name during games, he's always doing something. I'd love to have him.

Old
01-02-2005, 03:25 PM
Levitate

it'd be awesome if the rangers managed to draft johnson and kessel

though honestly if by the time the draft rolled around, there were other players clearly better, i'd take them...but two franchise american players would be awesome

Old
01-02-2005, 03:47 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate
it'd be awesome if the rangers managed to draft johnson and kessel

though honestly if by the time the draft rolled around, there were other players clearly better, i'd take them...but two franchise american players would be awesome
watch us move Blackburn for a draft pick, then Sather will prolly take another goalie. That is my feeling.

Old
01-02-2005, 04:11 PM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
The most important thing was that Montoya played well last night. He made some key saves when the contest was close and the two goals weren't his fault.

I hope he can carry that momentum into tonight against a tough Russian squad.

I have a feeling Russia wins. So, I'm hoping Al and the boys surprise me.

As for Kessel, the first time I watched him last week, I was like, "This kid is awesome."

I would love for him to be a Ranger.

Old
01-02-2005, 04:14 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Dont get me wrong...if someone asked me who would you want on the Rangers in the lineup this year I would say no doubt Ov. but im talking in the long run...i think Kessel will be a better team player, a go to guy. He gives 110 percent and is always trying to make something happen on the ice. He still has 2 years before his draft and in those 2 years hes only going to get better and better.
I love Kessel, but I'll need to see how he develops over the next couple years before I put him over Ovechkin. He may end up in that class though if he continues to light it up like he did yesterday. I can't wait for tonights game.

Old
01-02-2005, 04:27 PM
Fletch

The difference in Barnaby...

and Callahan are two-fold. First, Barnaby's a fighter. I don't think Callahan is. Second, Barnaby was at one time a nice NHL scorer, albeit a third liner. Right now, Callahan's not scoring in an under 20 tournament, so that puts him a ways behind Barnaby. Until further seasoning, he shouldn't be considered ahead of many other Ranger fourth line prospects, who may surprise and some day be on a third line, and that includes Murray and Hollweg, and of course an incumbent, Ortmeyer, among many others, some of whom have not yet blossomed.

Old
01-02-2005, 04:46 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
and Callahan are two-fold. First, Barnaby's a fighter. I don't think Callahan is. Second, Barnaby was at one time a nice NHL scorer, albeit a third liner. Right now, Callahan's not scoring in an under 20 tournament, so that puts him a ways behind Barnaby. Until further seasoning, he shouldn't be considered ahead of many other Ranger fourth line prospects, who may surprise and some day be on a third line, and that includes Murray and Hollweg, and of course an incumbent, Ortmeyer, among many others, some of whom have not yet blossomed.
Callahan and Barnaby have some similarities. They are both good pests. They seem to be able to take other teams players off their games, and get them to take bad penalties. The difference is that Barnaby can fight like you said. I don't know how long Callahan could play this game without dropping the gloves in the NHL once in awhile.

I think scoring will come. He puts up a lot of points at Guelph. He hasn't scored much at the WJC, but we have to remember that this is just one short tourney. I would think that Callahan could score points similar to Barnaby and also become a prettty good NHL PK guy as well.

The Barnaby comparison isn't a great one, but there are some similarities. Callahan is better then most of our 4th line prospects like JORT, Kozak, Moore, etc... IMHO. I could see him being a better player then Murray and Hollweg as well. I think he could become a nice 3rd line player who could probably be as valuable as a guy like Helminen.

Old
01-02-2005, 05:46 PM
Fletch

Barnaby was in the 'Q'

but his production was quite higher than Callahan's. Remember, Callahan was a fifth round choice, and was a 19 year old when drafted. His point-per-game was not put up as an 18 year old, stats with which many first and second rounders were pciked. At this moment, he's another depth player at best, call it fourth liner/AHLer until he proves more (and scoring nothing in the under 18s doesn't help his cause).

JOrt put up OK numbers in college - comparable to Callahan. Kozak's an enforcer...he at least has another angle... Moore's likely a better scorer. Hollweg and Murray are at least as good at similar levels, but have done something at higher levels.

Old
01-02-2005, 06:11 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
but his production was quite higher than Callahan's. Remember, Callahan was a fifth round choice, and was a 19 year old when drafted. His point-per-game was not put up as an 18 year old, stats with which many first and second rounders were pciked. At this moment, he's another depth player at best, call it fourth liner/AHLer until he proves more (and scoring nothing in the under 18s doesn't help his cause).

JOrt put up OK numbers in college - comparable to Callahan. Kozak's an enforcer...he at least has another angle... Moore's likely a better scorer. Hollweg and Murray are at least as good at similar levels, but have done something at higher levels.
No, he's not a scorer. I'm just saying that he can put the puck in the net. He'll never be a 25 goal scorer in the NHL, but from going by what I've seen I could see him scoring enough to warrant a spot on the 3rd line. Callahan isn't as far along as Hollweg and Murray, but I just love the way Callahan plays. To me he does things that go beyond stats. He may not be anymore then an AHL player, but he seems to me like he could be a hardworking pest who can pot the occasional goal on the NHL level. He can also help on the PK. All of this together could blend to make a pretty valuable 3rd liner. He won't be a core player, but IMHO he could be a useful supporting player.

Old
01-02-2005, 06:30 PM
Fletch

At the same age...

I think Callahan lags Hollweg, and is not much better than Murray. Remember, he was a fifth rounder for a reason (like Paiement was an eight rounder). He's got a lot more proven, at least to me, before I say there's a meaningful spot in the NHL for him (not saying you're saying there is, but in the end, that's what we're all looking for).

Closed Thread