HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chances of another lockout?

Old
07-14-2012, 08:07 AM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

vCash: 500
As to the fans not giving a crap about the Blackhawks if there is another lockout then good for them and good riddance. Go back to the Bears and the Bulls.. if you're only going to give two ***** about the team when they're at their highest point than go watch Football and go watch Basketball. Chicago is a team that has and will continue to compete for the Cup. If the average moron in Chicago can't see then who gives a ****? You should strive to have passionate fans who care whether your team finishes in as the oh so lowly 8th seed or 1st in the league.

/2cents.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 09:45 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 50
99% now....

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 09:56 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Before a few minutes ago I thought ,, Not much of chance or even if there is one it will only be about a month or so lost

But now I think this will be ugly mess
If that's true, we're looking at a long lock-out. The league wants the players to guarantee the financial viability of all of the franchises, and the mid-to-large markets to make huge money.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 10:36 AM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
As to the fans not giving a crap about the Blackhawks if there is another lockout then good for them and good riddance. Go back to the Bears and the Bulls.. if you're only going to give two ***** about the team when they're at their highest point than go watch Football and go watch Basketball. Chicago is a team that has and will continue to compete for the Cup. If the average moron in Chicago can't see then who gives a ****? You should strive to have passionate fans who care whether your team finishes in as the oh so lowly 8th seed or 1st in the league.

/2cents.
At the risk of being obvious, a lock-out is the worse thing that could happen. The last time many, many fans got turned off to the game and it took years to recover. The greed of the players led by the wooden Goodenow was the main reason and it seems it could well happen again under Fehr. Oh he talks like a strike will be avoided at all costs, but his past says otherwise. Hopefully the players themselves will have learned from last time and not let greed rule the day.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 11:46 AM
zytz
lumberjack

Owner's demands made me lol so hard. That's a pretty big F you to Fehr.

Honestly though I think they really only care about getting player salaries down to 50%, and they'll "be willing" to concede the other points

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 11:47 AM
Sleight Of Hand
No More Coldplay

A mid-sized franchise spends almost $200MM on 2 players and now they want to lower the cap. Trying to make it idiot proof for even the poorly run teams to break even or make money. The last CBA negotiations for the other leagues have tried to do just that.

Sleight Of Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 01:36 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by zytz View Post
Owner's demands made me lol so hard. That's a pretty big F you to Fehr.

Honestly though I think they really only care about getting player salaries down to 50%, and they'll "be willing" to concede the other points
Players already claim they are only getting 51%, they don't agree with the current accounting. Owners and Players need to come to terms on what is defined as revenue. I feel like that is going to be a huge battle.

HawksFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 11:31 AM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

The insulting first offer by the NHL certainly started things off on a rather sour note. Of course, a low ball first offer was expected, but I can’t help but be less optimistic then I was last week. Are we in for another hard ball match-up? Here’s hoping Fehr doesn’t lead the players down the garden path.

Old
07-16-2012, 04:37 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Caps cancelled their fan convention

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 06:02 PM
Martini*
Gods Team

I love this so far, have to admit.

There is a part of me that wants the NHL to just stop again and see exactly how many fans still care when all is said and done. There isnt another league other then the NHL where this type of garbage happens every CBA. I niche sport thinking it is something that its not is classic comedic gold.

Now, if this were the NFL, the States would actually be in a panic, nobody cares about this but die hards.

Martini* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 06:16 PM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini View Post

There is a part of me that wants the NHL to just stop again and see exactly how many fans still care when all is said and done. There isnt another league other then the NHL where this type of garbage happens every CBA. I niche sport thinking it is something that its not is classic comedic gold.
Now, if this were the NFL, the States would actually be in a panic, nobody cares about this but die hards.

Speak for yourself. Only in America!

Old
07-17-2012, 01:00 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

On the first day of any lockout, i plan to start a poll on "Kruger or Stalberg = Who Would You Trade First?

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 03:17 AM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini View Post

NFL was just in this situation.

Old
07-17-2012, 05:30 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

and there was some kind of panic

Old
07-19-2012, 01:39 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

when i read the part where the NHL wanted to cap contracts at 5 yrs i thought that was pretty rich given the deals minny gave to suter/parise.

it's especially rich given that after the NHL circulated their proposal (w/ a 5 yr deal cap) Philly has come up with this:

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
Breaking: Shea Weber agrees to offer sheet with Philadelphia. 14 years, upwards of $100 mil. Preds have 7 days to match. Wow!!

i think it's time to bring the bunny back:

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 03:46 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

owners want to limit everything and do the exact different as long as they can

Old
07-19-2012, 01:45 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
when i read the part where the NHL wanted to cap contracts at 5 yrs i thought that was pretty rich given the deals minny gave to suter/parise.

it's especially rich given that after the NHL circulated their proposal (w/ a 5 yr deal cap) Philly has come up with this:

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
Breaking: Shea Weber agrees to offer sheet with Philadelphia. 14 years, upwards of $100 mil. Preds have 7 days to match. Wow!!

i think it's time to bring the bunny back:

5 year max contract, ELC and UFA lengths is just garbage thrown in for negotiating purposes. The only thing the owners care about is the percentage. Owners fall back on those points to get more revenue back.

Old
07-19-2012, 03:32 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

I'm all for a max contract, but I think it should be 7 or 8 years.

UFA/RFA should stay the same

the only real difference will come with the percentage for players/owners

Old
07-19-2012, 05:13 PM
Martini*
Gods Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post
NFL was just in this situation.
And they sure as hell fixed it so it wouldnt interupt the season.

Not that losing fans by the droves in the states bothered the NHL, mind you.

Martini* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 06:03 PM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
I'm all for a max contract, but I think it should be 7 or 8 years.

UFA/RFA should stay the same

the only real difference will come with the percentage for players/owners
The low ball by the owners in that regard likely indicates they would accept 7 or 8 years as well. I think that's reasonable. Professional sport in general has gone over the top with these multi year mega deals.

Old
07-20-2012, 06:04 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

I have no problems with those deals. That's why we have a Cap. If the Teams can afford it, let them do it.

Old
07-21-2012, 08:54 PM
hockeydoug

I will be shocked if the lockout goes more than 2 weeks into the season. Fehr knows NHLPA will implode on itself and the owners are a different group now. WWW and Jacobs are gone, Karmanos sold half his team to minimize his risk from hockey, Vinnik is in TB, Pegula is practically a philanthropist, Leipold has a product to push quickly, etc.

The owners aren't going to push very hard and the players will fold quickly anyway imo. It'll be a little scary but I don't think they'll lose a game. Even the zebras held out until the last minute a couple years ago, so I'm sure both sides will push to the deadline.

I think the biggest problem will be the accounting more than the %, too bad Nashville was already busted. I would be shocked if players are really getting 57%, so I wouldn't be surprised if they took a little less to fix some of the hockey operations calculations and related accounting practices and oversight.

I think things will work out okay for the fans but I'm expecting some last minute dramatics.

hockeydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 11:52 PM
MadhouseOnMadison
Man crush on Amonte

This is probably an unpopular view on the matter but I can't help but side with the owners in most situations. I mean the ridiculous amount of overhead and other expenses these guys have to deal with is unbelievable and with all things considered they really don't make that much for being owners of a team.

With that said I still think that proposal is just bad.

MadhouseOnMadison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 07:53 AM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

On The Score, they seem to think there will not be a season. The sides are too far apart and there's no way they can meet in the middle early enough for a season, according to them.

TorMenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 08:19 AM
RomersWorld*

Great way to waste all of the great progress that the NHL has made over the past few years. It is popular as ever, not just in Chicago. This kills all of that. 2 lockouts in 8 years? Ridiculously amateur. I guess hockey wants to continue to be a niche sport.

It really is a shame because the sport is so great and I'm a guy who loves baseball, basketball, football and hockey. NHL is the best product along with the NFL IMO when you give it a chance. Unfortunately I post on sites that don't give it an honest chance and they'd be even less likely too after another lockout. And I'm sure some casual fans will stop caring all together. I'll have to hear how the NHL is a second rate sport forever I guess. This lockout will be a huge letdown for me.

RomersWorld* is offline   Reply With Quote