06-29-2012, 09:32 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

vCash: 500
Sarich re-signed - 2 years, $4M

Per the team website.

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=636369

Quote:
The Calgary Flames announced today that they have signed defenceman Cory Sarich.

"When we set about the process of improving our blue line we identified the need for a puck-mover who could play the point on the power play and help us offensively, and we also wanted a time-space eliminator who hits and competes and brings a sandpaper element to his game," said Flames General Manager Jay Feaster. "We took care of the first need yesterday by acquiring and signing Dennis Wideman, and we checked the box on the second need today by re-upping Cory Sarich. Cory is a true competitor who plays the game the right way, with fire and grit. He is capable of delivering the big hit and as such keeps opposing players honest, he eliminates time and space down low, he moves the puck well with a good first pass, he is one of the leaders in our room, and he is a well-liked and well-respected teammate. We are thrilled to have Cory back in the fold on a contract that fits within our plan and enables us to continue to improve our hockey team."
Quote:
Contract terms: Two-year contract with an Average Annual Value of $2,000,000.

Last edited by StreakingRed: 06-29-2012 at 09:39 AM.
StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:48 AM
Flamesarmstrong22

I like this deal a lot. I said all along I hope the flames resign him. Good length and money IMO also. Now the D looks pretty set barring a trade.

Butler bouwmeester
Giordano wideman
Brodie sarich

Flamesarmstrong22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:48 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
This is an ok move. Must mean another dman is going out the door.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:50 AM
scoringmachine

I know most will hate this signing but their are not many good dman that Calgary can realistically target so Sarich is a good signing and hopefully they can find someone to replace Hanna. Also every thread about someone signing with Calgary everyone complains that Calgary did a bad signing. Someone explain to me why signing Sarich, Comeau, Wideman are not great signing and currently Olli Jokinien is our best forward last season why most of you do not want him to resign cosidering he was our best player last season.

scoringmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:01 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

vCash: 50
Thank God! I would of preferred Carkner, but Sarich will be cheaper. Very pleased to have him back, we definitely need his physical presence back there.

I thought 1.75 would of been fair, but this isn't that much more.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:09 AM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
This is an ok move. Must mean another dman is going out the door.
Probably Babchuk

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:12 AM
FlamingTelepath

vCash: 1383

He was pretty solid after the doghouse months last season. He was in the doghouse for a reason though IMO but proved afterwards he still he has a spot in the 3rd D pairing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Probably Babchuk
Yep. I still wouldn't be too upset to see JBo traded either, provided the return was fair.

FlamingTelepath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:27 AM
Unlimited Chequing
Hangin' in the dome

vCash: 5001
I was almost certain Sarich was gone after the Wideman signing and Warrener saying he wanted a trade last year. I'm glad he's still with us!

Unlimited Chequing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:42 AM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited Chequing View Post
I was almost certain Sarich was gone after the Wideman signing and Warrener saying he wanted a trade last year. I'm glad he's still with us!
Rhett Warrener is now squarely in the "Eric Francis Credibility Zone". Good for him.

Old
06-29-2012, 10:46 AM
tfong

Quote:
Rhett Warrener is now squarely in the "Eric Francis Credibility Zone". Good for him.
Not nescessarily, maybe Sarich changed his mind after Sutter left?In reality I think the guy just wanted more overtime or something. He prob doesn't mind giving it another shot behind a new coach.

Solid signing, I was afraid we would hand out another 3.6 or somethig to him.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:01 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Sarich @ $2M per year is a good deal. No complaints here.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:16 AM
Unlimited Chequing
Hangin' in the dome

vCash: 5001
Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, Rhett and Sarchie were roommates when Rhett was still on the team plus he's still tight with some of the guys, so I'd give him a bit more credibility than Eric "Sportsnet Tagalong" Francis. Don't get me wrong, I don't consider Rhett any sort of sports journalist whatsoever, but this is something I'd believe has some sort of validity.

The trade demands (if true) came around the time when Sarich was being benched for so long and he didn't get any ice time until injuries opened up a spot on the blueline. I agree with tfong; Sarich's tune probably changed after Sutter left.

BTW: "Eric Francis Credibility Zone"

Unlimited Chequing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:34 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

I literally see no spot for Babchuk, I wonder if he will be waived if he cannot be traded.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:34 AM
DBU
Gotta Go Fast

I'm good with this.

So long, Anton.

DBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:37 AM
Flamesfan13

Adds to the toughness, nothing wrong with this deal. Hopefully, Hannan and babchuk are out.

Flamesfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:47 AM
Nordberg

I'm really happy about this and I'm glad Sarich didn't just want out like many were suggesting.

Nordberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:51 AM
flames4eva

Ok first off, i am honestly shocked to how many people like this deal for the flames.

Sarich is old, slow, and am pretty sure his body will not be able to play the way he does effectively anymore. I know we need this type of rugged, punishing defender, but sarich is not the answer.

i do not think it is a very good deal, and Feaster could've gotten someone younger and better for a better deal.

flames4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:54 AM
Northern Neighbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames4eva View Post
Ok first off, i am honestly shocked to how many people like this deal for the flames.

Sarich is old, slow, and am pretty sure his body will not be able to play the way he does effectively anymore. I know we need this type of rugged, punishing defender, but sarich is not the answer.

i do not think it is a very good deal, and Feaster could've gotten someone younger and better for a better deal.
Like who?

It's a fair contract. He brings toughness and a physical element that is currently lacking on defence.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:55 AM
Devilspuppet666

vCash: 250
Quote:

i dont think so i think he played a very good role with the flames previously, and a new coach is what he needs to be an effect 4th/5th defender... ive always been a fan of sarich and his style of play. i will always remember his series against the sharks in the playoffs he played so hard

Devilspuppet666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:58 AM
Signature
Robin Williams RIP

Quote:

Younger = very possible
Better = maybe, but not necessarily
Better contract? Why would they be on a "better contract" if they're both better and younger?

Go to the main Trade boards and click the link there. Many fans want Sarich on their blueline.

AKA, the player you want is in your dreams only and you don't know what you're talking about.

Fans like you think we can get Suter here at 5m or something... not gonna happen.

Signature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:04 PM
Zoombie

I honestly didn't think he would re-sign with us given how little playing time he got last season. Hopefully he enters this season in good shape and puts some of the Oilers' young guns through the boards.

Zoombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:10 PM
flames4eva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autograph View Post
Fans like you think we can get Suter here at 5m or something... not gonna happen.
No suter will get at least 7, probably more because of the wideman deal. im just saying hes getting older and slower so his physical play SHOULD decrease, which would make him less effective so why take a chance

flames4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:17 PM
Fleury14
Kipper

Good, our D would have been super soft without him and a similar D would have cost more on the FA market.

This also erases the strange excuse for the Wideman contract from some fans that were saying that Wideman's cost was acceptable because it was only X amount above what Sarich was making last season (w/ Sarich leaving). Maybe now they'll also come to terms with the Wideman deal being terrible.

Fleury14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:31 PM
Shamrocks

Maybe this opens the door for a Bouwmeester trade????

Shamrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:35 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury14 View Post
Good, our D would have been super soft without him and a similar D would have cost more on the FA market.

This also erases the strange excuse for the Wideman contract from some fans that were saying that Wideman's cost was acceptable because it was only X amount above what Sarich was making last season (w/ Sarich leaving). Maybe now they'll also come to terms with the Wideman deal being terrible.
Excuse =//= rationalization. Besides now that rationalization can be applied to losing Hannan + Sarich's pay cut.

I'll reserve judgement on the Wideman deal until I see him play in a Flames' uniform.