HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nino Niederreiter wants 'to make statement' next season

Old
06-29-2012, 08:33 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

vCash: 500
He needs a year in Bridgeport playing on the top line. They have a good team down there, he has a very good chance to succeed if he is sent down there IMO.

WangMustGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:36 PM
seafoam

vCash: 50
You know if never lives up to his draft stature I think he can still be a good third liner who is physical and can score some clutch goals for us.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:40 PM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

Must be a slow day for news.

Seto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:52 PM
Islander Prophet

let's hope he's right

Islander Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 04:46 AM
Isles72

sign a guy like daniel winnik for the bottom 6 / pk and let nino play entire season in b'port with nelson , kabanov , sundstrom etc..

at least he wouldnt be the only high profile islander prospect in b'port

Isles72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 06:53 AM
number72

Another year in the AHL would do him well

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 09:38 AM
Brain Hemorrhage

If Nino wants to make a statement, he needs to do the simple things every rookie should do when breaking into the NHL. Stay in your line, back check like hell.

I did not see that from Nino last year. Quite often he was out of position defensively, even if it didn't hurt the team that much.

Brain Hemorrhage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:03 AM
IslandersFan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Hemorrhage View Post
If Nino wants to make a statement, he needs to do the simple things every rookie should do when breaking into the NHL. Stay in your line, back check like hell.

I did not see that from Nino last year. Quite often he was out of position defensively, even if it didn't hurt the team that much.
I know I will get blasted for this. However, Nino should not be held accountable for last year. At times I was wondering why is the coaching staff not working more with this kid instead of just throwing him on the fourth line and rolling them as if their parents complained about their ice time.

Capps needs to be accountable for developing these young kids. Granted, that is not the job of an NHL coach, yet when presented with such a task they should be more welcoming of the situation. This teams future hinges on prospects like Nino and not having the kid play to his strengths early on is part of the problem.

Of course we can all argue that Nino did not belong in the NHL last year and that was very evident and clear. However, in the same regard if the kid really had no choice they should have figured out ways to get more from the kid.

IslandersFan17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:50 AM
19 Straight

The Isles are falling into a pattern of rushing young players to the NHL and, in the process, stunting their development. There is no way in the world NN should have played in the NHL last season. Putting him on the 4th line and having him play limited minutes was idiotic. You just don't do that with top draft picks. What is the rush? The same thing was done with Bailey and now the Isles have a 3rd line player with 40-50 point potential instead of the top 6 player with 70 point potential that was drafted. Give the kids a chance to grow at a level of play that suits their skills and maturity.

19 Straight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:38 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19 Straight View Post
The Isles are falling into a pattern of rushing young players to the NHL and, in the process, stunting their development. There is no way in the world NN should have played in the NHL last season. Putting him on the 4th line and having him play limited minutes was idiotic. You just don't do that with top draft picks. What is the rush? The same thing was done with Bailey and now the Isles have a 3rd line player with 40-50 point potential instead of the top 6 player with 70 point potential that was drafted. Give the kids a chance to grow at a level of play that suits their skills and maturity.
And that's all mandated by Wang. He wants the rookies with Max ELCs on the team bc they have unachievable bonus that cushion the cash payout.

Each ELC costs around $3mil in cap hit, yet they are only paid $900k cash.

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:26 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post
I know I will get blasted for this. However, Nino should not be held accountable for last year. At times I was wondering why is the coaching staff not working more with this kid instead of just throwing him on the fourth line and rolling them as if their parents complained about their ice time.

Capps needs to be accountable for developing these young kids. Granted, that is not the job of an NHL coach, yet when presented with such a task they should be more welcoming of the situation. This teams future hinges on prospects like Nino and not having the kid play to his strengths early on is part of the problem.

Of course we can all argue that Nino did not belong in the NHL last year and that was very evident and clear. However, in the same regard if the kid really had no choice they should have figured out ways to get more from the kid.
I am not going to waste time 'blasting' anybody. Simply tell me, what do you expect a rookie to do? I live in Boston and watch the Bruins continuously integrate rookies into their lineup, and every single one of them stays in their lane and back checks. What more can you ask for? Who cares if they score 1 point and 1 assist in 82 games. Were they doing the right things?

PWJunior and I went to an NYI/BOS game at the garden this year, and Nino was constantly out of position. He knew it, too. I would focus on just watching him, and he would camp defensively too close to the boards with nobody near him, and then he would realize he was out of position and get in a better position so that somebody didn't cut to the net.

My judgment of Nino is he is a typical European bust. Amazing hands, great stickhandling, lots of energy, no hockey sense. Nino just happens to be so physically gifted he might be able to have a good NHL career anyway. He is freaking huge, and when he fills out he will probably be 235. If he works on his board work and cycling, he can even be an All-Star in this league even without much hockey sense, just because the rest of his package is so amazing. A 6'2" 235 winger who never loses a puck a long the boards is a huge asset. Sandy McCarthy made a very successful career out of that role. But Nino needs to develop a lot more.

Brain Hemorrhage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:31 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
I am not going to waste time 'blasting' anybody. Simply tell me, what do you expect a rookie to do? I live in Boston and watch the Bruins continuously integrate rookies into their lineup, and every single one of them stays in their lane and back checks. What more can you ask for? Who cares if they score 1 point and 1 assist in 82 games. Were they doing the right things?

PWJunior and I went to an NYI/BOS game at the garden this year, and Nino was constantly out of position. He knew it, too. I would focus on just watching him, and he would camp defensively too close to the boards with nobody near him, and then he would realize he was out of position and get in a better position so that somebody didn't cut to the net.

My judgment of Nino is he is a typical European bust. Amazing hands, great stickhandling, lots of energy, no hockey sense. Nino just happens to be so physically gifted he might be able to have a good NHL career anyway. He is freaking huge, and when he fills out he will probably be 235. If he works on his board work and cycling, he can even be an All-Star in this league even without much hockey sense, just because the rest of his package is so amazing. A 6'2" 235 winger who never loses a puck a long the boards is a huge asset. Sandy McCarthy made a very successful career out of that role. But Nino needs to develop a lot more.
My impression as well. He used his size to dominate at world juniors one year and everyone fell in love with him. Last season he was a complete bust as much as you can be at his early age in the NHL, which makes you wonder what glue the Islander management was sniffing, snorting, smoking, and sucking on to think he should stay on the big club.

Once the evidence showed him to be way over his head they should have carted him off to Europe.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:42 PM
mitchy22

I'm hoping he spends the whole year at the Bridge. Let's get a 4th line center and keep Cizikas down there to add to the talent at the AHL level.

Spending a whole year watching Casey skate his balls off should hopefully help Nino catch up. Nino looks like he'll have to develop some power in his skating because I just didn't see much grace in his stride. I did, in very small doses, see a little bit of power. Let him get stronger and develop more stamina. Let him throw his body around and practice his moves against weaker competition.

If he's lighting it up and a roster slot opens, let him come up when he's already dominating the lesser league. Until then, it's kiddy glove and tough love time. It's about time we fill the NHL roster enough so the kids have to force people off.

Mitch

mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 12:32 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:

I think you're pretty spot on with this analysis. I kind of have to agree since we were at the game together, haha.

Nino needs a high hockey sense, playmaking center to bring out the best in him. Thankfully we have JT and Strome projects to be that type of player. Yes, Nino could be a physical beast and I am still very high on his future because of how the Isles are being constructed. He needs to be used as a weapon by someone with the vision and playmaking ability to feed him the puck to unleash his potentially strong shot. He just needs the time to physically mature to play his power game. I do give him a little more credit for his hockey sense than Brain Hemorrhage does though.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 04:37 AM
herecomesdabus

this is a perect case of an organization who is ruining a young player...If they decided to bring him up they should of had a spot for him and given him alot of icetime...instead Snow decides to sign garbage over the hill players like Rolston and Pandolfo and give then the ice...

Also If Snow had committed drafting D-man earlier on like was needed....then we wouldn't have a log-jam of young forwards who need icetime...

I hope that Nino is not damaged goods at this point...

herecomesdabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 04:48 AM
herecomesdabus

BTW let me add that what I say is from experience....The Isles ruined a few young players...this reminds me of players like Weinhandle and Papineau who showed so much promise but were given 4 minutes of icetime per game...if that much at all.

If you are gonna committ to picking a young player with a high draft pick...then you have to commit to developing that player...Its not Nino's fault that he hasn't been given icetime...Of course he's gonna go backwards if he doesn't play...

Old
07-01-2012, 05:29 AM
Wanderson

vCash: 50
He has to do some kind of statement this season. If he doesn't do that, I don't think he will succed in the NHL.

Well, I hope that he will dominate in the AHL. He has to gain some confidence...

Wanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 06:54 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by herecomesdabus View Post
BTW let me add that what I say is from experience....The Isles ruined a few young players...this reminds me of players like Weinhandle and Papineau who showed so much promise but were given 4 minutes of icetime per game...if that much at all.

If you are gonna committ to picking a young player with a high draft pick...then you have to commit to developing that player...Its not Nino's fault that he hasn't been given icetime...Of course he's gonna go backwards if he doesn't play...
I think you picked the worst two examples possible. Weinhandl is an elite big-sheet talent who couldn't handle it on the small ice. He'd be looking for people who might hit him while flubbing the puck. Then, he didn't have the shot to beat elite goaltenders. Paps... Seriously, dude was given enough of a chance. Bailey is the clear current example of mishandling talent, and the mishandling of Nino does compare to that.

The problem with Nino (pet-peeve, the spelling with the enye, which makes the name mean little boy, is just plain silly) isn't the icetime. The problem is filling out the bottom-six with absolute castoff scrubs. Of course, if we didn't just have a bunch of castoff scrubs, then he might not have made the team. But making the team isn't the issue, it's the decisions that resulted in Nino making the team, and playing with castoff scrubs, that is the issue.

If, for example, Nino was flanking Manny Malhotra on the 4th line (a wild scenario, to be sure), I'd have zero problem with it. Instead, he played with two guys each one step away from the beer league, and that's sad. What's sadder, is one is coming back for another year.

Which is to say, does anybody really want Reasoner in the lineup as opposed to Cizikas? I think that's one kid ready to take on his (bottom-six) role, and give our fourth line more bite.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 07:25 AM
herecomesdabus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
I think you picked the worst two examples possible. Weinhandl is an elite big-sheet talent who couldn't handle it on the small ice. He'd be looking for people who might hit him while flubbing the puck. Then, he didn't have the shot to beat elite goaltenders. Paps... Seriously, dude was given enough of a chance. Bailey is the clear current example of mishandling talent, and the mishandling of Nino does compare to that.

The problem with Nino (pet-peeve, the spelling with the enye, which makes the name mean little boy, is just plain silly) isn't the icetime. The problem is filling out the bottom-six with absolute castoff scrubs. Of course, if we didn't just have a bunch of castoff scrubs, then he might not have made the team. But making the team isn't the issue, it's the decisions that resulted in Nino making the team, and playing with castoff scrubs, that is the issue.

If, for example, Nino was flanking Manny Malhotra on the 4th line (a wild scenario, to be sure), I'd have zero problem with it. Instead, he played with two guys each one step away from the beer league, and that's sad. What's sadder, is one is coming back for another year.

Which is to say, does anybody really want Reasoner in the lineup as opposed to Cizikas? I think that's one kid ready to take on his (bottom-six) role, and give our fourth line more bite.

Cheers,

Dan-o
Wow thats a great post....and you even named the third scrub....that being Reasoner who is a complete waste....who would be addition by subtraction..

Old
07-01-2012, 09:02 AM
BillD

Boy, Nino reminds me of Todd Bertuzzi when he was first an Islander. Huge body, good shot and hands, no hockey sense or quickness.

BillD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 09:09 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
Boy, Nino reminds me of Todd Bertuzzi when he was first an Islander. Huge body, good shot and hands, no hockey sense or quickness.
Yes, I totally see it too. I've remarked about the similarities in the past. We can only hope he can become a similar player.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:09 PM
LongIslandCircus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang2750 View Post
Not trying to be rude but have you ever played organized hockey? You can have all the talent in the world but if your line mates have the hockey talent of a garbage can there is nothing you can do to ever have a chance at playing your game or showing your talent. Not saying nino is an all star but he needs some games with first and/or second line players to show his stuff.

Case in point Kreider playing on the first and second line for Rags right off the bat.
To answer your question, yes. Nowhere near the NHL level but NCAA and pro seasons overseas. That said, I would redirect that question to you because I have yet to see players pushed to top 6 positions without even showing SOME flashes of dominance. Did Nino play with crap linemates? Absolutely. But did he outplay those crap linemates on a nightly basis?? If you want a hint, he wouldnt have been in and out of the lineup if he had.

I saw a kid that was lost 95% of the time. He wasn't ready, plain and simple. And if you want to bring up Kreider, he showed ability to handle those situations and was rewarded. Handing out ice time based on draft position is not the right thing to do. Earn it.

LongIslandCircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 11:07 PM
Knish Of The Crease

Surrounding him with more talent doesn't mean squat when your tripping over yourself. When he wasn't tripping over himself he was tripping over the red line. Dude was getting knocked over by the breeze from the linesmen skating by. I hope he improves in Bridgeport because he has no business be on LI.

Last edited by PWJunior: 07-02-2012 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Not necessary
Knish Of The Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 07:22 AM
ScaredStreit

vCash: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ MAC View Post
Surrounding him with more talent doesn't mean squat when your tripping over yourself. When he wasn't tripping over himself he was tripping over the red line. Dude was getting knocked over by the breeze from the linesmen skating by. I hope he improves in Bridgeport because he has no business be on LI.

Spot on. I also think that people forget that ninos line mates put up better numbers than him last year (as pathetic as that is). But we ate isles fans, we have tons of excuses.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 07:26 AM
Isles72

big statement would have been renting an apartment near tavares and working out with him every day

Isles72 is offline   Reply With Quote